A sinus infection can make you dull and reduce your daily activities because it affects to your ability to do these things. Sinusitis or sinus infection can result from the sinuses that are small cavities in the skull filled with air. In general, this sinus will produce the mucus and remove it from the body that helps to keep your nasal passage free from bacteria, dust particles, allergies, and other pollutants to avoid the damage caused by the upper respiratory system.
This is an inflammation of these tissues that line these cavities and the infection can occur mostly by bacterial infections. If the sinus is blocked, the passage of air will be blocked and this will lead to fungus infection.
Generally, there are 2 kinds of sinusitis, chronic sinusitis (lasts for 1 year or more) and acute sinusitis (lasts for 5 to 6 weeks). People have to experience pain as well as pressure while suffering from a sinus infection because this swelling will block the sinuses trapping the mucus and air inside it.
Allergies, thick discolored mucus, congestion, pain, headache, cold, facial pressure, etc. are some symptoms of this infection. There are a lot of natural home remedies that are widely used to cure this infection. However, here you are going to know about garlic, its properties as well as methods to treat a sinus infection.
Garlic is an available and simple home remedy that will make you save money and time on treating sinus infection. Garlic is white in color and has a pungent smelling that contains many benefits for beauty and health. Plus, you can also try this home treatment at any time without waiting for the appointment of your doctor to get relief from a sinus infection. Here are excellent solutions for people who are suffering from the blocked sinuses.
In this article, Effectiveremedies.com will show you 17 effective ways on how to use garlic for sinus infection without any side effect. This article listed the best methods that use garlic along with some other natural ingredients to treat a sinus infection effectively at home from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this article to learn these useful methods on how to use garlic for sinus infection.
17 Useful Ways On How To Use Garlic For Sinus Infection
Can garlic help to treat a sinus infection?
Here are a few its effective properties that assist you in getting a clear idea how these garlic cloves are used to treat this sinus infection.
- Garlic has some certain chemicals that aid in destroying the bacteria, fungal or virus infections. It is widely used to clear this bacterial infection by killing it and thus treats the infection.
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic, which can help to kill the bad bacteria as well as protect the good bacteria. However, make sure that you must use raw and crushed garlic clove because when you crush the raw clove, the antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial component known as allicin will be activated. It is essential for treating the sinus infection and its symptoms.
- It has expectorant and decongestant properties that help you to prevent flu and cold, which are considered as common symptoms of a sinus infection.
- It contains allin, scordinin (the derivative of the sulfur compound called allicin) along with other active components that give you many curative properties to fight the fungi and bacteria causing a sinus infection.
- It has vitamin C, flu busting components, several enzymes, and minerals such as selenium, sulfur, etc. that help to treat a sinus infection by boosting your immune system to fight the infection.
- It contains therapeutic properties that are attributed to its active ingredients present in garlic to treat the infection.
- Regular intake of garlic can help you to reduce the inflammatory symptoms, strengthen your immune system, which finally aids in clearing the infection without any adverse effects.
- Scordinin in this garlic can help to boost up your immune system and inhibit the growth of abnormal cells for proper functioning and then get rid of a sinus infection.
Although there is no clearly defined data about how much garlic clove to be taken for curing sinusitis, it would be better for you to take 3 to 5 garlic cloves every day for not less than ten days. So, here are a few methods that explain you on how to use garlic for sinus infection at home. The only thing you must do is to follow the methods below regularly without any interruption.
1. Garlic With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar possesses many vitamins like B1, B2, A, and E as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium, all of which help clear sinus cavities and decrease allergy symptoms. When taken orally, apple cider vinegar comes with high pH levels breaking up mucus and clearing airways, thereby ridding sinus infection. Besides, apple cider vinegar consists of natural antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal agents and is also an immune system booster, which quickly clears sinuses. Moreover, thanks to its antiseptic properties, apple cider vinegar clears mucus and combats against sinus infection. Last but not least, it balances the acidic and alkaline levels in your body and alleviates sinus pain. Here’s the recipe that shows you the way to use apple cider vinegar and garlic for sinus infection:
- 2 cups of water
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- Take a large bowl at first and add 2 cups of water. Then, boil it and remove the flame.
- Now, crush four garlic cloves and add it to that water. After that, add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Finally, inhale this vapor and steam.
2. Garlic Steam
According to Drugs.com, garlic is used to flavor and season foods, but it also contains medicinal uses. Additionally, it has been commonly used to prevent cancer, increase immune system effectiveness, protect the liver, kill harmful bacteria and reduce cholesterol as well. The website of Natural Health Remedies for You suggests taking about 250 – 500 milligrams of garlic in the form of supplement to treat a sinus infection. Prior to using a garlic supplement, you need to talk with your doctor. Here are step-by -step guides on how to use garlic for sinus infection at home:
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves
- A pot
- A towel
- At first, you place the pot on the stove or heat.
- Then, you pour water into it and let it boil for a few minutes.
- When it reaches boiling, you add the properly crushed garlic cloves into this boiling water.
- After that, you put off the heat or flame and take the clean towel.
- Now, you cover your head and the pot in such way that there will be a 2- to 4-inch gap between your head and the pot.
- You gave to make sure that you cover it correctly so that the steam cannot escape from it.
- Finally, you inhale the steam deeply and slowly to get relief from the sinusitis instantly.
- This steaming process will help to thin the mucus as well as clear it to treat infection and its symptoms.
- You should repeat the same way regularly (especially at night to get better sleep).
Garlic is regarded as one of the most important and potent medicinal herbs and superfoods. It is used commonly for multiple ailments including sinus infection. To use garlic for sinus infection, what you need to do:
- A few garlic cloves
- Firstly, you take these garlic cloves and peel off the skin.
- Then, you place them into your mouth and chew them.
- Finally, you swallow them completely.
- You should continue eating these garlic cloves as often as possible in order to cure stuffiness and the discomfort that are caused by it.
- Ensure that you do not try this way with your empty stomach.
- Or, you may simply eat soups, pizzas, and garlic bread, or use it in curries, salads, etc. to cure sinusitis.
- Daily consumption of these garlic cloves in any form will definitely help you in curing sinus infection.
4. Garlic Inhaler
Here are simple directions on how to use garlic for sinus infection at home:
- 4 to 6 raw garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of water
- At first, you place the raw garlic cloves in water.
- Then, you let it soak for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you remove them from water and crush them to make a fine garlic paste.
- Next, you take this paste and then keep it close to your nose and start inhaling deeply.
- In most of the time, when you are suffering from a sinus infection, your nose is blocked. You have to inhale deeply to get the garlic odor into your nose and thereby to reduce the infection.
- Or, you may also try to inhale this odor coming out of the garlic paste, which will loosen the mucus as well as make you breathe comfortably.
- You should continue doing this method regularly to treat a sinus infection completely.
5. Garlic, Olive Oil, And Honey
The combination of garlic, olive oil, and honey is another useful way on how to use garlic for sinus infection that you should try! Olive oil contains antioxidants and monounsaturated fatty acids, which provide many health benefits. According to an article in 2011 in “Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine,” the ability honey to combat bacteria may be associated with its acidic pH, enzymes and high sugar content in some honeys producing hydrogen peroxide. Honey is naturally antiviral, antiseptic, and antibacterial which help to get rid of the sinus causing bacteria. Moreover, it promotes the immune system to combat bacteria causing sinus infection. Honey also soothes the throat to decrease soreness and coughing.
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- A little olive oil
- A little honey
- Firstly, you take the fresh garlic cloves and then crush them finely.
- Next, you keep it aside for about 15 to 20 minutes so that this allicin enzyme can be activated.
- Then, you add olive oil and honey into it.
- Now, you top a slice of either cracker or bread in this.
- Finally, you have it to get rid of a sinus infection.
- You should consume it regularly to clear out the sinus infection, flu, and cold.
6. Garlic Juice
The garlic oil or juice which is extracted from these good quality garlic cloves will provide you with the amazing benefits. You can use the garlic juice for curing respiratory problems, a common cold, tuberculosis, and some other intestinal disorders and alleviating bronchitis, asthma, and sinusitis.
Rather than buying this garlic juice from some stores, you may prepare it at home to get maximum benefits. For making it, you have 2 methods i.e. one is cold pressed and the other is roasted garlic clove juice. The cold pressed is made with fresh cloves and the other is prepared with roasted garlic cloves. Therefore, you can select either of them which you like to prepare this garlic juice.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- A plastic garlic peeler
- A garlic press
- A muslin cloth
- A coffee strainer
- An airtight glass container
- A spatula
- Before starting this way, you must remember that hundreds of cloves of garlic are used to prepare a few ounces of garlic juice.
- Therefore, you take garlic cloves depending on your required amount of garlic juice.
- Now, you peel off the skin of these garlic cloves by using the plastic garlic peeler.
- Then, you pour these garlic cloves into a blender and blend them finely for a few minutes to create a puree.
- Or, you may also use the garlic press to crush them directly.
- Now, you take the muslin cloth and place it in a bowl.
- Then, you strain the garlic puree and use a spatula to press the pulp to collect the garlic juice from this puree.
- Or, you may use the coffee strainer to filter this once again to take pure juice without pulp in it.
- After that, you transfer the garlic juice into the airtight glass container.
- Next, you store it properly in your refrigerator and use it as needed to treat a sinus infection.
- You may spray it on the dishes or salads and have them to cure the infection.
- However, if you want to replace this garlic juice, you may replace this garlic juice (1/2 teaspoon) with chopped garlic (1 teaspoon) or minced garlic (1/2 teaspoon) or garlic powder (1/8 teaspoon).
- You should continue using the garlic juice into your daily diet to treat a sinus infection.
7. Garlic Oil
Another form of garlic cloves is garlic oil that is used to cure many beauty and health problems including a sinus infection.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup of virgin olive oil
- An airtight container
- At first, you pour olive oil into a saucepan.
- Then, you add the chopped or crushed garlic cloves into it.
- Next, you place this pan on the flame over medium-low heat.
- Now, you let it heat for a few minutes and then put off the flame.
- After that, you wait for a few minutes until the oil gets cool.
- Now, you strain this oil into the airtight container by using a strainer.
- Finally, you apply this oil to these areas such as around your nose, forehead, neck, and chest to get relief from this problem.
- You have to apply it daily to clear out the blocked sinusitis.
8. Avocado & Garlic for Sinus Infection
Here are easy instructions on how to use garlic for sinus infection:
- Mashed avocado
- Garlic cloves
- Firstly, you crush garlic cloves and mash avocado finely.
- Then, you add them into a small bowl
- Next, you stir them well to make a garlic dip.
- Finally, you have this dip with the garlic bread or bread.
- You should have it regularly to cure the sinusitis completely.
9. Garlic, Water, And Turmeric
Turmeric contains therapeutic effects on infections and cold. In addition, the oils and curcumin found in turmeric help prevent inflammation. When combined along with anti-bacterial agents of garlic give relief from sinus. To know how to use garlic for sinus infection, you should follow the way below:
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric power
- 1 cup of water
- A saucepan or pot
- At first, you take the saucepan and place it on the flame over low heat.
- Then, you pour water into it and let it boil over medium heat.
- Next, you add garlic cloves into the boiling water and then boil it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, you add turmeric powder to this and stir them well.
- After that, you put off the heat and then pour it into a clean cup.
- Finally, you have this juice or soup to treat a sinus infection.
- You should have it regularly to get relief from a sinus problem completely.
10. Garlic, Tomato Juice, Lemon Juice, And Celery Salt
Vitamin C is necessary in treating sinus infection because it can cure the swelling caused due to sinus infection. And tomato is full of fiber and vitamin C that can remove the embarrassing problems of sinus infection. Lemon, on the other hand, consists of many anti viral substances that can fight the sinus infection.
- 1 tablespoon of garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup of tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce
- A pinch of celery salt
- A saucepan
- You will start this way by taking the saucepan and then pour tomato juice into it.
- Next, you boil this juice for a few minutes and add the remaining ingredients into it.
- Now, you stir them well and let it boil for a few minutes.
- After that, you put off the heat and then pour this hot mixture into a clean glass.
- Finally, you drink this juice to cure a sinus problem.
- For getting quick relief from the sinus infection, you must drink this juice for at least twice per day to clear out the sinus infection and its symptoms.
11. Garlic And Honey
Here are simple instructions on how to use garlic for sinus infection treatment:
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey
- A blender
- Firstly, you add garlic cloves in the blender.
- Then, you add honey to this and blend them to make a fine paste.
- Finally, you have this mixture before your meals to relieve the sinus infection.
- You have to follow the same method regularly to get relief from this problem completely.
12. Garlic, Sea Salt, And Olive Oil
Salt helps you breathe better and remove a sinus infection. According to the Pediatric Oncology Resource Center, the salt makes an alkalizing environment killing bacteria.
- 2 raw Garlic cloves
- A few drops of olive oil
- A dash of sea salt
- At first, you crush these raw garlic cloves after peeling off its skin.
- Then, you add sea salt and olive oil into it.
- Now, you stir them well.
- Finally, you have this mixture immediately.
- Or, you may also grind these garlic cloves to make a fine paste and use it in place of the crushed clove to treat this problem completely.
- You should have this garlic with the daily food regularly to reduce the healing time.
13. Garlic, Water, And Salt
The combination of garlic, water, and salt is another effective method on how to use garlic for sinus infection that you should not pass!
- A few garlic cloves
- 2 quarts of water
- A pinch of salt
- Firstly, you take these garlic cloves and peel off its skin.
- Next, you cut them into small cubes and then add these garlic pieces to water.
- Then, you place this water on the flame over medium-low heat.
- Now, you let it boil for about one hour without disturbing it.
- Next, you strain this water into a clean glass or bowl.
- After that, you add salt to this and stir them well.
- Finally, you sip this water to relieve a cold, headache, and other symptoms of this sinus infection.
14. Garlic In Bread Spread
Here are easy guides on how to use garlic for sinus infection:
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- Bread spread such as butter or mayonnaise
- At first, you take these garlic cloves and mince them off properly.
- Then, you add this minced garlic into your bread spread.
- After that, you spread it evenly on this bread.
- Finally, you have this bread to treat a sinus infection.
- You should repeat this way regularly.
15. Garlic for Sinus Infection In Children
A sinus infection will also affect to your children by blocking the sinus and nasal passages. Nevertheless, this infection is lower in children when it is compared with adults. A headache, trouble breathing, cold, cough, pain around the eyes, etc. are some symptoms that they have to face with this infection. If you do not treat this problem for your children timely, it will lead to many health problems.
Therefore, one of the useful ways that are extensively used in clearing out the sinusitis is to use garlic. Here are a few ways on how to use garlic for sinus infection that you should not skip.
Way 1: Garlic steam inhalation
- A garlic clove
- A few drops of tea tree oil
- A few drops of eucalyptus oil
- Hot water
- A towel
- A large bowl
- At first, you pour hot water into the large bowl.
- Then, you add the crushed garlic clove, eucalyptus oil, and tea tree oil in this bowl.
- Next, you stir them gently and cover the head of your child and bowl with a towel.
- Finally, your child will inhale the steam deeply. However, make sure that your child does not put over pressure when inhaling the steam because it may cause some nasal problems.
- You should repeat this garlic steaming process for your children regularly for 2 to 3 times per day to cure the sinus infection and its symptoms completely.
Way 2: Garlic
- 1 to 2 fresh garlic cloves
- At first, you take these raw, fresh garlic cloves.
- Then, you give them to your child to chew them by biting them to get its juice.
- Or, you may also add the crushed garlic cloves to the soup and give it to your child to treat this problem.
- Or, your children may also use garlic pills after you consult the doctor to treat this infection.
- You have to continue doing this process for your children regularly until they clear out this infection.
16. Garlic Pills Or Capsules
People who cannot tolerate the strong garlic smell, they can take odorless garlic gel capsules that are made from garlic extract. This can help to alleviate the sinusitis, cardiovascular problems, and respiratory ailments. However, be sure that the capsules are purchased from the reputed vendor.
The recommended dosage of the garlic pills is two capsules a day on the daily basis until you clear out this problem completely. If possible, you should use raw garlic cloves to prevent sinus infection rather than pills or capsules.
Tips and precautions:
Here are a few effective tips and precautions that help you in keeping this infection at bay.
- You should include garlic cloves in your daily diet to improve the flow of mucus in the nasal passage that in turn gives you relief from the sinusitis.
- Raw garlic gives the best results in curing the sinus infection. However, you may also use garlic powder, garlic paste, garlic juice, or capsules in your diet to treat this problem.
- Remember that you have to check whether you are allergic to garlic or not before using garlic for sinus infection at home. If you have any allergic reaction, it is better for you to stop taking this garlic and then consult your doctor for curing sinus infection.
- However, you have to avoid the overtaking of this garlic to prevent some adverse effects such as burning sensation, bad breath, skin rash, breathing problems, allergic reaction, stomach or intestinal problems, internal bleeding, etc. Therefore, you should consult your herbalist to know the suggested dosage depending on your health condition.
- Make sure that if anything went wrong for treating the sinus infection, you have to consult your doctor immediately.
All these garlic treatments are safe without any adverse effects. You may choose the best one that suits for your health condition and continues using this method regularly without any failure. In addition, you should also have plenty of water, hot foods, and warm soups to get relief from this infection completely.
If you want to know more foods for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Super Foods page. After reading the article about the article of 17 useful ways on how to use garlic for sinus infection, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of sinus infection fast and easily at home. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get some advice before applying any natural way. If you have any question, or you know other ways on how to use garlic for sinus infection, please leave them below.