Back pain is a common health problem occurred in elderly and middle-aged people, but at definite times young people can also suffer from it. People with back pain often experience some certain symptoms such as pain around the hips or in the middle of the back, difficulty in sleeping, and the flexible reduction of the spine.
Back pain can occur for many causes such as muscle tension, lack of physical activity, improper diet, arthritis, excessive physical labor, pregnancy, and bad sitting posture. Back pain can make you more difficult to carry out daily activities. Natural treatments can give you a quick relief from this problem and let you enjoy life comfortably. In this writing, Effectiveremedies.com will introduce to you top 22 natural home remedies for back pain relief without any side effect. This article listed the best treatments to treat this problem from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Top 22 Natural Home Remedies For Back Pain Relief
1. Ice Compress
Ice compress is one of the simple home remedies for back pain relief that you should try! Applying ice onto the painful area will help to ease the inflammation and reduce your discomfort within 24 hours by numbing and reducing the ability of your nerves that send the pain signals to your brain.
- Some ice cubes
- A plastic bag
- A thin towel
- At first, you place some ice cubes in the plastic bag.
- Then, you place the thin towel on your back skin.
- Next, you apply this ice pack onto the towel.
- Now, you allow the ice pack to sit on there for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- Next, you take it off and let this place get relief from the coldness.
- Finally, you place it again for another 30 minutes.
- You may repeat this remedy regularly.
- Or you can also use a plastic bag that is filled with chilled vegetables to make a cold compress.
2. Hot Compress
Like cold compress, applying hot compress is also one of other easy home remedies for back pain because this hot compress can help you in getting rid of the inflammation and pain. In addition, the warmth can also relax your tight muscles and increase the blood flow to provide you with the soothing effect.
Remedy 1: Hot water and washcloth
- 1 bowl of hot water
- a washcloth
- Firstly, you soak the washcloth in the bowl of hot water.
- Then, you wring out this cloth and apply it as a heating pad for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- After that, you take the cloth out of your back when it becomes cool and repeat the same process.
- You may do this remedy for a few times per day.
- Or you can take a hot bath or shower.
Remedy 2: Dry sock and uncooked rice
- A dry sock
- Uncooked rice – 1 cup
- At first, you fill the dry sock with the uncooked rice.
- Then, you place this sock into a microwave for about ½ to 1 minute with medium-low temperature.
- Next, you take it out and check the heat.
- Finally, you apply this sock to your affected area.
- You can also repeat this remedy when needed.
3. Massage Therapy
Massage has been used for a long time to soothe the strained muscles of the whole body. And this is also very good for back pain. According to a study, massage has a positive influence on relieving back pain. In addition, massage can also reduce soreness as well as soothe your tired muscles effectively. Thanks to massage, the blood circulation will improve and make the blood flow and oxygen easy to the muscles. Moreover, massage can also relax the muscles and release endorphins. Endorphins are the chemicals of your brain that will make you feel better.
You need someone to massage your back.
- Use both the thumbs in order to apply gentle pressure of kneading over the spine muscles. Never run the thumbs over your spine.
- Allow the thumbs to move in circular motions going in and next upwards.
- While running the thumbs in circular strokes, at the places where there are knots in your muscles, massage gently this place until the rigidity goes away.
However, it is better for you to take help of people who have experience or formal training in massaging. In fact, massaging the wrong points as well as undue pressure on the muscles can aggravate your back pain.
4. Poppy Seeds With Rock Candy And Milk
Poppy seeds do wonders as an effective remedy in the list of top home remedies for back pain relief.
- Poppy seeds – 100 grams
- Rock candy – 100 grams
- Milk – 1 glass
- Firstly, you grind poppy seeds and rock candy finely.
- Then, you mix poppy seed powder and rock candy powder together.
- Finally, you consume about 2 teaspoons of this mixture and then drink the milk
- You may repeat this remedy for about two times daily.
5. Drink Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has been used to treat stress and many other medical conditions. Of course, if you are seeking the home remedies for back pain, you should not pass chamomile tea. According to a study, chamomile tea can break down an amino acid called glycine which has been known to reduce muscle spasms. Moreover, glycine is also a good nerve relaxant. By reducing muscle spasms and soothing the nerves, chamomile can actually help you to get rid of backache.
- Chamomile flowers – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- At first, you place the chamomile flowers in a pot.
- Then, you pour hot water into this pot.
- Next, you allow it to steep for about 10 or 15 minutes. If using chamomile tea bag, you can steep it for about 5 minutes.
- After that, you strain this tea or remove this tea bag.
- Finally, you can add a little honey into this tea and drink it.
- You may have 1 to 3 cups of chamomile tea per day.
Precaution: You have to avoid drinking this tea if you’re allergic to ragweed pollen because chamomile flowers have allergy-inducing proteins which are associated with this pollen.
6. Milk With Cuscus Grass And Sugar
Milk contains vitamin D and calcium which can help to make your bones strong as well as to have healthy muscles. In fact, bones will also reduce their density due to the age and there will be a chance of developing a disease called osteoporosis that erodes your bones. Therefore, you should always have the food that is rich in vitamin D and calcium regularly.
Remedy 1: Drink milk every day
- You can drink a glass of milk regularly because it will strengthen the bones.
- Or you can get the calcium in some certain foods such as orange juice, green leafy vegetables, dairy products, and other fortified products as well as vitamin D from the sun.
- You should consult a nutritionist or your doctor to take the advice which how much vitamin D or calcium you have to take a day to strengthen the bones.
Remedy 2: Warm milk, cuscus grass, and sugar
- Cuscus grass – 1 part
- Sugar – 1 part
- Warm milk – 1 glass
- Firstly, you take equal quantities of cuscus grass and sugar and mix them well.
- Then, you add this mixture into the glass of warm milk.
- Finally, you stir them well and drink it.
- You can consume it for 1 or 2 times per day.
7. Epsom Salt With Water And Lavender Oil
Looking for home remedies for back pain relief, you should not skip Epsom salt. Epsom salt contains magnesium and sulfate that can help for the proper functioning of your nerves, muscles and enzymes. In addition, it can help to relieve the inflammation and pain of your back. Furthermore, Epsom salt can also assist you in relieving tension and stress and promoting your nervous system health to limit back pain.
Remedy 1: Epsom salt and lavender oil
- 1 or 2 cups of Epsom salt
- 6 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- At first, you mix Epsom salt and lavender oil (optional) in your bathtub until the salt dissolves in water completely.
- Then, you soak yourself in this bath for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- After that, you take a bath as usually.
- You may have this soak for about 1 or 2 times a week.
Remedy 2: Epsom salt and water
- Epsom salt – 1 tablespoon
- Water – enough to make a paste
- A towel
- At first, you mix Epsom salt and water to make a fine paste.
- Then, you soak your towel into this paste and discard the excess water from this towel.
- Finally, you place this towel onto the affected area for a few minutes.
- The heat that is released from this towel will help to reduce the swelling and pain.
Precaution: Epsom salt bath is generally not recommended for people who suffer from heart problems, diabetes or high blood pressure. If you have either of these conditions, you should consult your doctor before applying this remedy for back pain.
8. Wheat, Cuscus Grass, Coriander, And Milk
Wheat contains compounds which produce an analgesic effect. This effect can help to minimize the pain. Therefore, you can use wheat as one of the home remedies for back pain relief.
- A handful of wheat
- Cuscus grass
- 1 cup of milk
- Firstly, you soak the wheat in water for overnight.
- In the next morning, you mix the soaked wheat with sufficient amounts of cuscus grass and coriander.
- Next, you add milk into this and boil it for several minutes until it thickens.
- Finally, you drink this mixture.
- You can have this for about 1 or 2 times daily.
9. Basil, Water, And Salt
The holy basil is a natural remedy in the list of top effective home remedies for back pain thanks to its natural muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fresh basil leaves – 10 to 12
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Firstly, you add these fresh basil leaves in the cup of water and boil it for a few minutes.
- Then, you continue boiling it until the water reduces half and forms a syrup.
- After that, you turn off the flame and allow it to cool down for several minutes.
- Then, you add salt into this solution and drink it.
- You may consume this for about one or two times per day.
If your back pain is caused by arthritis, consuming garlic will be beneficial for you. It contains excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. If you are taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, garlic can also increase the potency of these drugs thanks to the selenium in garlic. In addition, it also contains a compound called thiacremonone that can help to stop inflammatory responses in your body.
- You can have 1 or 2 garlic cloves with water in every morning.
- Or you can add garlic in your dishes such as soups, salads, gravies, etc.
- If you may stand its smell, you can also drink garlic tea by steeping the crushed garlic cloves in hot water.
- Another option, you can have garlic with milk, which will be very beneficial for the pain management. You can crush 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and add them to one cup of milk. Then, you boil this milk and consume it for two times during the day.
11. Garlic And Coconut Oil
In addition, garlic also contains anti-inflammatory properties that are capable of relieving swelling and pain. When mixed with coconut oil, you will have the garlic & coconut oil mixture. Massaging with this oil is one of other natural home remedies back pain relief that you should try.
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Coconut oil – 60 ml
- A pan
- A jar
- At first, you heat the oil in the pan.
- Then, you add the garlic cloves into this pan.
- Next, you fry the garlic cloves until they turn dark brown.
- After that, you put off the heat and allow the oil to cool down until it becomes lukewarm.
- Now, you remove the burnt garlic cloves.
- Then, you place the oil into the jar for further use.
- Now, you take a little this oil to massage your back.
- Next, you leave the oil on there for about 2 or 3 hours.
- Finally, you take a warm bath.
- You continue repeating the remedy regularly.
12. Ginger, Honey, Black Pepper, And Cloves
Ginger can help to reduce the discomfort and pain which is caused by inflammation because it acts as an anti-inflammatory. In addition, it can also relieve back pain which is mostly caused by arthritis as well as any other injuries.
Remedy 1: Ginger root, water, and honey
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root
- 1 to 2 cups of water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey
- At first, you cut the ginger root piece into slices.
- Then, you boil the water and add the ginger into it.
- Next, you allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, you strain it and add honey into this solution before having it.
- You may have this ginger tea for about 2 or 3 times per day.
Remedy 2: Ginger paste
- Some ginger pieces
- A little eucalyptus oil
- At first, you crush these ginger pieces to make some ginger pastes.
- Then, you apply these pastes on the affected area.
- Finally, you massage your back with eucalyptus oil.
- Another option, you can massage the ginger oil on your back pain area.
- Or you can add ginger in raw, cooked, juice, ale forms or in any form to your daily diet.
Remedy 3: Ginger powder, black pepper, and cloves
- Cloves – ½ teaspoon
- Black peppercorns – ½ teaspoon
- Ginger powder – ½ teaspoon
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Firstly, you mix cloves, black pepper and ginger powder in the cup of boiling water.
- Then, you allow it to steep for several minutes.
- After that, you strain this tea and consume it.
- You should have this tea regularly.
13. Eucalyptus Oil And Coconut Oil
Eucalyptus oil contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that make this oil become one of other home remedies for back pain. While you can use undiluted eucalyptus oil, if your skin is sensitive, it is also better for you to dilute it with other oils such as jojoba oil or coconut oil.
- Eucalyptus oil – 3 to 5 drops
- Coconut oil – 3 to 5 drops
- At first, you take several drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Then, if using undiluted oil, you can apply it directly to your affected area.
- If diluting, you mix eucalyptus oil with coconut oil.
- Next, you apply this oil mixture onto your back.
- Finally, you gently rub it in a circular motion until the oil is absorbed in your skin completely.
- You may repeat this remedy for about 2 or 3 times a day.
14. Turmeric And Milk
Turmeric is one of other natural and effective home remedies for back pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties along with curcumin, a compound in turmeric. According to many studies, curcumin can help to decrease inflammation, even in those who suffer from osteoarthritis. In addition to many turmeric forms such as capsules, tincture, dried powder, and fresh root, it is also recommended to add turmeric with small quantities into your dishes. Fresh turmeric root’s paste or ½ to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder is enough for one day. Moreover, you can also consume turmeric milk with the recipe that is given below.
- 1-inch piece of fresh turmeric root
- Or ½ teaspoon of dried turmeric powder
- 1 cup of milk
- If using turmeric root, you cut it into slices.
- Then, you add the turmeric powder or these slices into the milk.
- Next, you boil the milk for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you strain it by using a sieve. If you use turmeric powder, you do not strain it.
- Finally, you drink it while it is still warm.
- You may have 1 or 2 cups of turmeric milk per day.
15. White Willow Bark With Water And Honey
If you want to replace aspirin with a natural component, white willow bark is the best choice. Whenever you take aspirin, it will be converted into salicylic acid within your body that is in charge of giving you relief from the pain. In the same manner, salicin, which is a natural component in the bark of white willow plant, is also converted into salicylic acid whenever it is in the body. Therefore, if you want to learn home remedies for back pain, you can use this herb to make a tea.
- White willow bark – 2 teaspoons
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups
- At first, you add the white willow bark into the water.
- Then, you bring this water to a boil for a few minutes.
- Next, you allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- After that, you allow it to steep for another 30 minutes.
- Finally, you add honey into this tea and have it.
- You can drink 3 or 4 cups of this tea per day.
Precaution: If you’re taking aspirin or some other blood-thinning medications, you have to avoid consuming white willow bark tea or consult your doctor.
16. Cayenne Powder, Olive Oil, And Beeswax
Like chilies and hot peppers, capsaicin is also found in cayenne peppers. Thanks to this component, it becomes one of other natural home remedies for back pain relief. In addition, capsaicin is also the ability to reduce your pain. In fact, it will deplete substance P that is a neurochemical that can transmit the pain signal to the brain.
- 3 tablespoons of cayenne powder
- 1 cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of beeswax (grated)
- A jar with lid
- At first, you mix cayenne pepper with the olive oil.
- Then, you heat the mixture by using a double boiler for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you add the beeswax into it.
- Now, you keep stirring it until the beeswax melts.
- Then, you allow it to cool down and store it into the jar.
- You can keep the jar in a refrigerator.
- Finally, you apply this cayenne cream onto your affected area.
- You can apply it daily or as needed.
As you know, lifestyle is one of the main causes of today’s increasing back pain cases. Hence, you need to change your lifestyle. Without doing this remedy, all above natural home remedies for back pain relief, or even medicines cannot also bring you permanent relief from your back pain.
- Exercise: Swimming, cycling, brisk walking, yoga, aerobics, whatever suits you, you should do it. However, you must exercise. When you start exercising in the first time, your chronic pain will lessen and you will feel better.
- Move your body: You have to move the whole body including your spine. One of the main causes of back pain is sitting for many hours. Therefore, you should keep moving. You can do your own work such as making beds, getting up or walking to your fridge to take water etc. In addition, you can also take your pet out for a walk or walk to the store. These episodes of walking throughout the day will keep the spine moving.
- Do not sit for longer: When you work at the office, you should take breaks after every 20 or 30 minutes. You just stand up and go to the window and stretch a little and come back and finally sit again.
- Wear right shoes: In fact, high heels will put the strain on your back. Therefore, you should keep the length of the heels low.
- Mind your posture: The wrong posture of sitting also gives you a back pain. You do not slump or slouch while sitting.
- Lose weight: As you know, obesity is generally not healthy because overweight also puts the strain on the spine leading to back pain.
If you want to know more about natural home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 22 natural home remedies for back pain relief, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of this problem. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any natural home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for back pain, please leave them below.