The dry weather in winter, stress, improper diet, and sebaceous cysts are common leading causes to your scalp’s dryness, dandruff, and itchiness. Most adults suffer from this symptom like scratching the scalp, which embarrasses you in publicity. Instead of using anti-dry scalp products from your grocery store, which may contain potentially harmful ingredients and still cannot treat the underlying reasons of the dryness, why don’t you try to take advantage of some natural home treatments with high quality, availability, inexpensiveness, and safety? In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com will share with you top 36 quick natural home remedies for dry scalp in winter. The writing outlines the best treatments to get relief from dry scalp problem effectively & safely from reliable sources. Nonetheless, this article is the informational reference without an aim of giving medical advice. Keep following this writing to find out these 36 home remedies in more detail!
Top 36 Quick Natural Home Remedies For Dry Scalp In Winter
Here are 36 best quick natural solutions you should follow in order to get rid of the itchy and dry scalp matter:
1. Lemon Juice – The “Enemy” Of Dandruff And Dry Scalp
Lemon is always available in all kinds of market. Besides its benefit for face skin, lemon is best known to be a helpful ingredient when it comes to treating dry and itchy scalp because it is composed of antiseptic properties and vitamin C.
- A lemon
- Squeeze a lemon and apply its juice directly to your scalp (maybe use the peel of the lemon with a purpose of massaging your scalp at the same time)
- Shampoo off the juice from the scalp after 5 minutes or when it has a drying effect on your scalp
- Treat your scalp in that way twice a day until dry scalp is completely gone
- Remember that lemon juice will lighten up your hair color a bit if you’re looking for some natural highlights.
Process 2: (For a drier scalp)
- A lemon
- 4 tablespoons of fresh curd/ yogurt
- Mix lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of fresh curd/ yogurt
- Apply this on your scalp and let it be on for few minutes
- Wash your hair with shampoo
- Repeat this at least once daily till itchy and dry scalp is eliminated
In addition, vitamin C found in lemon also helps prevent a lot of common diseases and conditions because it helps boost the immune system. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Take vitamin C regularly or simply take a cup of lemon juice daily.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one among 36 best quick and natural home remedies for dry scalp in winter listed in this article. Tea tree oil is quite popular with the purpose of treating dry scalp, dandruff, and itchy scalp for ages. It is considered as a beneficial ingredient for the hair as it contains component terpinen-4-ol, which gives the oil its powerful antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties.
- 10-20 drops of the tea tree oil
- 1/2 cup of the baby shampoo
- Mix both ingredients well
- Use this solution daily in order to rinse off your hair and scalp until the itchiness caused by dry scalp is eliminated.
- 5-10 drops of the tea tree oil
- Add drops of the tea tree oil to an amount of water, which is enough to wash the scalp and hair
- Clean your hair with this mixture after shampooing
- Remember to apply this mixture at the last rinse. (You may use the cool water so as to properly wash off the shampoo and next, you use the mixture)
- 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- a tsp of vegetable oil
- Dilute drops of tea tree oil in vegetable oil
- Massage with this mixed oil on your scalp, which helps to unblock your hair follicles and ease itching
- Regularly use this for 1-2 weeks, which helps to heal dry scalp
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another home remedy among 36 natural home remedies for dry scalp presented in this article is applying apple cider vinegar. It is known that apple cider vinegar includes a strong anti-inflammatory substance that kills off viruses and yeast. Without a doubt, apple cider vinegar can be one of the effective home remedies for dry scalp. It also holds the property of balancing the pH levels of the scalp to ease the itchiness and dryness, and it makes your hair get rid of dandruff.
- Apple cider vinegar
- An empty spray bottle
- Wash your hair and your scalp with water and let it dry completely.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water well and pour it in an empty spray bottle.
- Utilize this solution directly on your scalp by using a cotton ball or you can spray onto your scalp and massage it for few minutes.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes by covering your head
- Clear it off with shampoo and normal water.
- Repeat this process once or twice a week to get complete relief from the itchy and dry scalp.
4. Onion Juice
Onion juice has been globally used to stimulate hair growth as well as cleanse your scalp. It also stimulates the blood circulation and leads to strong and healthy hair roots. Thanks to its natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it can properly relieve itchy and dry scalp caused by dandruff and ringworm as well. In addition, onion juice supplies your scalp with essential nutrients such as vitamins C and B6, potassium, germanium, magnesium and sulfur.
- 2-4 tsp of onion juice
- 1-2 tsp of olive oil (optional)
- Simply take 2-3 tablespoons of onion juice and apply to your scalp thoroughly.
- In case the undiluted onion juice seems to be very strong and you can’t stand its smell, you might mix it with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and then massage it into your scalp.
- Leave this mixture for about 30 minutes and wash off with shampoo and water.
5. Aloe Vera Gel
This wonderful plant is not only helpful for reducing your sunburn, and calming down aggravated acne, but it is also helpful for lessening dryness and itching. The gel obtained from aloe vera brings about two advantages, which are anti-bacterial and soothing properties.
- A fresh aloe vera leaf
- the bought aloe vera gel in the market
- Cut the aloe vera leaf open to reveal the flesh and extract the gel
- Apply it on your scalp with the help of your fingers.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes and then rinse it out with a mild shampoo and normal water.
- Repeat this solution once or twice a week.
6. Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame oil might help you fight against scalp’s dryness to get relief from itchiness because of tranquilizing and soothing properties. Moreover, sesame oil can rescue you from sunburn, lock the moisture within, and consequently, prevent dryness. Especially, if the cause of your itchiness is lice, sesame oil also can help you thanks to its anti-bacterial properties. So, sesame seed oil also is a popular ingredient found in many natural home remedies for dry scalp.
- 1-2 tsp of sesame oil
- few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- hot towel (optional)
- Heat the sesame oil in order to turn it warm (but not hot)
- Then, massage a little warm sesame oil into the scalp in 10 minutes before going to bed at night
- After your massage, you can wrap the head in the hot towel and let it stay in another 10 minutes. However, this step is optional
- If using the hot towel, remember to remove the towel and you should leave the oil on your scalp overnight because it will enable to moisturize the scalp very well
- Lastly, rinse your hair off in the morning
- Repeat this daily until you get rid of itchy and dry scalp.
- Be noted that you can also add a little lemon juice to the warm sesame oil before massaging it into your scalp, which will help your scalp get further improvement.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil may create a barrier that helps keep skin moisturized and hence it can work wonders on your dry scalp. It has been recently available in many grocery stores.
- few drops of coconut oil
- Wash your hair to make your scalp clean and let it dry properly.
- Rub few drops of coconut oil onto your scalp
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes and wash it off with a shampoo that has to be perfume free.
- Follow this process three times a week for best results over dry scalp.
- Or you can gently heat the coconut oil and add this to your shampoo before rinsing your hair.
8. Olive Oil Mayonnaise And Broccoli Puree
Olive oil contains vitamin E and monounsaturated fatty acids, which can help you to combat the dryness of the scalp, while mayonnaise helps to hydrate your scalp, eliminate the lice, and add luster and shine to your hair, broccoli will deeply clean your hair. That would be perfect to combine three wonderful ingredients!
- Few drops of olive oil
- Small amount of mayonnaise
- Small amount of broccoli puree
- Mix three ingredients together to make it like a paste
- Rub it on your scalp and let it be for few minutes
- Rinse it off completely
- Repeat the same regularly to relieve the dry and itchy scalp
9. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is composed of a molecular structure, which is closely related to the natural oil or sebum of all of us. It has an effective treatment on rejuvenating and hydrating, which makes your hair lessen itchiness and dryness and become stronger and more shining.
- Small amount of jojoba oil
- Take jojoba oil and massage it on the scalp for few minutes at night time before sleeping.
- Allow it to stay for overnight and wash it with mild shampoo in the next day morning
- Keep doing this once a week to get relief from the dry scalp
10. Banana Avocado Mask
Banana and avocado are effective home remedies for dry scalp because they have nourishing and moisturizing properties which help to remove the flakes, inflammation, and dryness. Besides, they relieve itching by conditioning your hair and scalp so that it prevents the itchiness. In addition, the appearance of nourishing elements in avocados is aimed to moisturize your hair and scalp in order to treat dry scalp.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 ripe avocado
- Mash two ingredients to mix them well to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and let it stay for half an hour
- Rinse it thoroughly with water and shampoo
- Repeat it regularly to get rid of the problem.
There are a lot of other quick & natural home remedies for dry scalp in winter presented in the next part of this writing, so keep reading it if you want to discover more.
11. Banana, Honey & Onion Juice Mask
Here are step-by-step instructions to make banana honey onion juice mask for your scalp health:
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tsp of onion juice
- 2 tsp of honey
- Mash the banana.
- Then, add honey and onion juice to the mashed banana.
- Next, mix the ingredients together well and afterwards, apply the mask to the scalp.
- Wait for 20 minutes.
- Next, wash out your hair by using water and shampoo.
- Remember to repeat this treatment at least 2-3 times a week or daily until you can get rid of your itchy and dry scalp.
12. Honey Banana Mask
Honey is a natural moisturizer and it contains enzymes that help lock in the moisture in the scalp as well as in the hair shafts. Mixing honey with banana or curd is also one of the excellent home remedies for dry scalp and hair, which will help moisturize the scalp as well as make the hair smooth and shiny.
- 20 ml of honey
- 2 ripe bananas or curds
- Take bananas and mash them well
- Warm the honey and then, mix with the bananas
- Next, apply this natural conditioner to your scalp.
- Note: For hair, use only honey and do not use the bananas.
- Leave the honey-banana mixture on the scalp for 45 minutes or you can leave the mixture overnight by wearing a shower cap to bed
- Wash off by using shampoo and water.
- The treatment can be done every alternate day. Otherwise, do this treatment twice a week
13. Honey And Lemon Juice
A mixture of honey and lemon juice can help to treat dryness of scalp in the best way, because honey is composed of antibacterial properties whilst lemon contains cleansing properties. Ingredients:
- 1-2 tsp of honey
- 10-15 drops of lemon juice
- Prepare a mixture of honey and lemon juice
- Apply it to your scalp.
- Massage the affected area and wait for 5-10 minutes
- Wash your scalp off with shampoo and water
- Repeat it daily
14. Eucalyptus Oil
Using eucalyptus oil for relieving dandruff, dryness, and itchy scalp is the great choice because it contains natural antiseptic and antifungal properties.
- 3-4 tsp of white vinegar
- 1 tsp of eucalyptus oil
- 4-5 cups of water
- Mix three ingredients well
- Next, rinse your hair off with this treatment and make sure that this mixture completely covers your scalp
- Lastly, wash your hair off with shampoo and water after few minutes
One of other natural home remedies for dry scalp is using lavender oil, which is highly absorbable.
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 tsp of jojoba oil
- Mix lavender essential oil with jojoba oil
- Apply this thoroughly to your scalp.
- Massage your scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Leave for about 5-10 minutes.
- Wash your hair and scalp with shampoo.
16. Neem Oil
Ayurveda has used the herb Neem and called the Indian Lilac so far to reduce intense scalp itchiness and dryness. Ingredients:
- 4-8 drops of neem oil
- 1-2 tsp of carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil (optional)
- Firstly, directly massage neem oil into your itchy scalp
- You can dilute it along with carrier oil and afterwards, massage this mixture into your scalp
- Let it stay for 15 minutes
- If the cause of your scalp itchiness is lice, let the oil stay in your hair for 1 hour.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo and water
17. Essential Oils Blend
It is all known about the good functioning of neem oil, tea tree oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil and other carrier oils and the combination of them is much greater for your scalp.
- 2-3 drops of neem oil
- 4-5 drops of tea tree oil
- 2-3 drops of rosemary oil
- 1-2 drops of lavender oil
- 3 tsp of carrier oil (almond, coconut oil, olive or wheat germ)
- Combine these ingredients to create 1 tsp of oils blend
- Mix this blend to 1 type of carrier oil.
- Then, gently massage the scalp with the mixture
- Let it be as you want and afterwards, wash your scalp off with shampoo and water in order to ease your itchy and dry scalp.
18. Baking Soda
Lack of exfoliation is one reason leading to dry and itchy scalp by creating dead cells, skin flakes, etc. The baking soda is considered as an exfoliating agent that fantastically cleanses your skin and your scalp. In addition, the pH level of your scalp can be balanced due to the presence of alkaline nature. Therefore, baking soda is one of the best natural home remedies for dry scalp.
- 2-3 tsp of baking soda
- 1-2 tsp of olive oil
- Massage your scalp well with olive oil.
- Then, mix a little water in the baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp.
- Wait for about 15 minutes.
- Lastly, wash off with water.
19. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains vitamin E and monounsaturated fatty acids which can help you to combat the dryness of the scalp.
- Olive oil
- Heat virgin olive oil
- Gently massage into your scalp
- Leave it for half an hour.
- After the allowed time, rinse your hair thoroughly.
Process 2: Mixture of warm olive oil and aspirin tablets will help in giving good shine and in retaining the moisture on the hair and scalp, thereby stopping itchiness and dryness.
- 1/4th cup of olive oil
- Hot towel
- 5 aspirin tablets
- Crush aspirin tablets to olive oil
- Then massage this mixture on the head for five minutes
- Cover with a hot towel for five minutes
- Next, rinse with cool water.
20. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a natural astringent, which helps to cure the dry and itchy scalp by reducing the inflammation. It also reduces the itchy scalp when it is caused by hair coloring and blow drying every day.
- 1 portion of witch hazel
- 2 portions of water
- Mix witch hazel and water together
- Then pour it onto the scalp and massage properly for 5-10 minutes till it seeps into the scalp
- Then wash and rinse the scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Regular use of this mixture will overcome the scalp dryness in a few weeks’ time.
21. Apricot Oil Mask
Besides abovementioned effective home remedies for dry scalp, apricot oil is also another remedy, which seems to be a great option.
- 1 tsp of apricot oil
- 2 tsp of aloe vera juice
- 2 tsp of vegetable glycerin
- 2 tsp of vitamin E
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- Mix these ingredients together
- Apply this mixture to your scalp
- Wait for some minutes
- Rinse off with water
- Treat your hair and scalp with this mixture once daily until you get the desired results.
The anti-fungal properties in mouthwash help prevent dandruff and dry scalp from growing. Mouthwash is used to treat a bad case of dandruff. As a result, mouthwash is among home remedies for dry scalp.
- alcohol-based mouthwash
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo
- Then rinse with an alcohol-based mouthwash.
- Follow with your regular conditioner
- Do this way once daily
One of other great home remedies for dry scalp which can be easily found in your kitchen is salt.
- Shake the salt into your hair
- Massage your scalp and leave it for 5-10 minutes
- Wash off the salt with normal water
- Lastly, shampoo as usual
- Repeat this instruction daily till the itchiness and dryness are gone
It is magic that garlic can help your scalp ease the itchiness and dryness. Here is the instruction to use garlic as one of the effective home remedies for dry scalp:
- Fresh garlic
- Crush the fresh garlic into your hair
- Gently massage the affected area and wait for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse your scalp before shampooing as normal.
- Repeat this treatment daily
Peppermint oil is also one of the great home remedies for dry scalp. Peppermint has a cooling and numbing impact on the skin; therefore, it can soothe skin, and suppress symptoms of dry scalp such as the itchiness and irritation.
- A few drops of peppermint oil
- Small amount of warm water
- Mix a few drops of peppermint oil along with some warm water
- Then, apply the mixture on the itchy and dry scalp.
- Rub with your fingers in a circular motion so that the oil gets absorbed into the skin.
- Wash off afterwards.
- Repeat this treatment every day until you find relief from itchiness and dryness.
26. Oatmeal And Rosemary Oil
Oatmeal and rosemary oil are perfect home remedies for dry scalp as they contain vitamin E, which is a great moisturizing agent and helps to soothe itchy skin.
- 6 cups of water
- 12 tsp of oatmeal powder
- 6-7 drops of rosemary oil
- Boil the water
- Then, add oatmeal powder to this.
- Next, simmer for one hour and remove from the flame.
- Strain the concoction
- Next, you will add 6-7 drops of rosemary oil to the strained blend
- Wait until the mixture cools and then massage your scalp with this.
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Finally, wash your scalp off with shampoo and water as normal
- Do this treatment again at least twice a week till you get rid of the itchy and dry scalp
27. Chamomile Oil
Chamomile oil is one of other wonderful home remedies for dry scalp. Using the chamomile oil is a remedy to rejuvenate and rehydrate your hair and scalp.
- Few drops of chamomile oil
- Carrier oil (olive oil, sesame oil or sweet almond oil)
- Take chamomile oil and add one choice of carrier oil
- Mix them together well
- Apply the mixture on the scalp.
- Gently massage for 5-10 minutes
- Then leave it on for 10-15 minutes so that the oil gets absorbed into the scalp and treat the dryness and itchiness
- Do this at least twice a week
28. Strawberry, Coconut Oil & Honey Mask
Strawberries contain vitamin C, which helps balance the pH of your scalp. They are combined with honey and coconut oil to create a mask, which works as one of the best home remedies for dry scalp.
- Some strawberries
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of honey
- Blend together some strawberries, coconut oil and honey
- Apply on the scalp and massage your scalp with the mixture for 5-10 minutes
- Keep it for 15 minutes
- Then rinse it off with shampoo and water
- Repeat this way daily
29. Oatmeal Mask
Following is the way to make an oatmeal mask, which is beneficial for your itchy and dry scalp.
- 1 tsp of oatmeal
- 1 tsp of fresh milk
- 1 tsp of almond oil
- A bowl
- In a bowl, mix these ingredients together well
- Remove all the knots from your hair
- Then, apply the mask on the entire scalp and hair
- Shampoo your hair after 20 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat it twice a week
30. Juniper Berry
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of crushed juniper berries
- Boil water and add crushed juniper berries to it.
- Once the mixture is cool enough, apply on the scalp.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Repeat it at least twice a week
31. Camphor & Coconut Oil Mask
- 20 grams of coconut oil
- 5 grams of camphor
- Mix coconut oil and camphor.
- Once the camphor has dissolved, apply the mixture on the scalp.
- Wait for 30 minutes and then wash it off.
- Do it once daily till you get relief from your itchy and dry scalp
32. Bay Leaves
- 2 cups of water
- 5 tsp of crushed bay leaves
- Boil water and add crushed bay leaves to it.
- Let the mixture steep for 30 minutes
- Strain the liquid and massage the mixture into the scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Repeat it twice a week
- Make sure you wash your hair before you try this remedy.
33. Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds
- Some lemon juice
- Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in some warm water, overnight.
- In the morning, make a paste by combining the seeds with some lemon juice.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and allow it to sit on for one hour
- Do this way twice a week
34. Margosa Oil
Margosa oil contains antibacterial properties, which help to heal and soothe the itchy and dry scalp.
- 5-7 tsp of margosa oil
- Massage your scalp with margosa oil
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo and water
- Do this way once daily
35. Castor Oil
Castor oil is widely used in shampoos and conditioners, specifically for dry and rough hair. Castor oil is very thick and does not wash easily from hair even if shampoo is used. Hence, it is ideal for moisturizing the hair as well as the scalp. Moreover, castor oil is also very effective in reversing hair loss along with treating dry and itchy scalp. Consequently, castor oil is one of the safe and natural home remedies for dry scalp.
- A microwavable bowl
- A warm bowl
- Castor oil
- A shower cap
- Put castor oil in a microwavable bowl and microwave it for 2 minutes.
- Take the bowl out and pour castor oil in the warm bowl.
- Apply the oil on your scalp as well as hair.
- Massage your scalp gently while you apply the oil.
- Leave on overnight. Remember to wear a shower cap to bed or else the castor oil will stain your pillow case and bed sheet.
- In the morning, wash your hair twice using shampoo and warm water.
- The treatment should be done twice a week.
36. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is an excellent choice to help your scalp restore its natural oil levels, so it is known as one of the most popular home remedies for dry scalp. Our poor diets and beauty techniques can cause an imbalance, creating either an overproduction or underproduction of oil. Eating a balanced diet that includes veggies rich in vitamin E such as asparagus and broccoli, fresh fruit such as mangoes and papayas, nuts like almonds and wheat germ in your smoothies, and cold cereals will ensure a healthy dose of the nutrient. Following this treatment will help you neutralize your scalp’s pH levels, improve overall circulation, and significantly reduce dryness.
- Vitamin E oil
- Break open a few capsules of vitamin E oil
- Deeply massage your scalp with this oil for 3-5 minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo and water
- Do this way once a week
Are you suffering from an itchy and dry scalp? Have you tried all the remedies known to you? Take a closer look at 36 quick natural home remedies for dry scalp abovementioned to find relief from your scalp and hair problem fast, and a long lasting solution. Because those are natural methods, you should repeat these home solutions for at least 1-2 months to achieve the positive results. While you do these treatments, don’t forget to keep your body well hydrated. Drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day will ensure that your skin and scalp do not suffer from dryness since water makes them smooth, supple, and healthy. Remember not to scratch your scalp too much which may result in cuts and blood and do not forget to ask your doctor for advice before applying any kind of scalp treatments in case of unexpected consequences. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Or if you know other natural home remedies for dry scalp in winter, please leave them in a comment box. To get more information related to the best natural home treatments for other health problems, go to our main Home Remedies page.