There are several factors which cause food poisoning such as toxins in food, viruses, as well as bacteria. And if you want to know whether you have food poisoning or not, you should be aware of some symptoms of food poisoning. They include diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, headache, vomiting, and abdominal cramps.
When you suffer from food poisoning, your body is able to lose a lot of water. Therefore, drinking more water is a good treatment for this case in order to stay hydrated. In addition, drinking water will help to flush out the toxins, which cause food poisoning symptoms. However, there are various treatments you can apply when you have food poisoning. If you want to know what they are, continue reading this article on our page Effectiveremedies.com which will present to you the best home remedies for food poisoning you can follow at home to get rid of this situation soon.
Top 15 Natural & Fast Home Remedies For Food Poisoning In Adults
These are 15 natural home remedies for food poisoning which you can do to get rid of it:
1. Ginger Tea
If you want to treat food poisoning effectively, why don’t you try using ginger tea? Ginger can help you to cure nausea, heartburn and other symptoms of food poisoning. Now in order to make this tea, let’s follow these steps below:
- Firstly, take a teaspoon of grated ginger
- Then pour a cup of boiling water into it
- After that, let it steep for a few minutes
- Next add honey or sugar to this tea depending on your taste
- Finally, drink this tea several times per day until your symptoms of food poisoning are gone
2. Ginger Juice And Honey
If you don’t want to drink ginger tea, let’s use ginger juice. It also helps you to reduce pain or inflammation. Here is the detailed instruction you ought to consult:
- Firstly, take a teaspoon of honey
- Next take some drops of ginger juice and add it to honey
- After that, mix well
- Finally, swallow this mixture various times per day until you feel better
Sometimes, you can consume fresh ginger slices or you may add ginger to your diet every day.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also one of the good home remedies for food poisoning. The acidic in apple cider vinegar has the alkaline effect, so it helps to soothe the gastrointestinal lining as well as kill the bacteria. Using ACV will give you an immediate relief from food poisoning, so let give it a try. Here is the way you can follow to treat food poisoning:
- First take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Next dilute it in a cup of water. You ought to use hot water
- Finally, drink this mixture before you eat your food
Besides, you can drink apple cider vinegar without diluting. Taking two or three teaspoons of this vinegar is good for your situation. And remember to follow this method before you eat something in order to get rid of food poisoning.
4. Yogurt And Fenugreek Seeds
The combination which is made of yogurt and fenugreek seeds is also mentioned. Yogurt contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, so it can help to fight the bacteria causing food poisoning. Meanwhile, fenugreek seeds can help to treat abdominal discomfort. Therefore, when you combine both ingredients together, it will give you a relief from vomiting along with stomach pain. This is the detailed direction for you:
- Now prepare a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds as well as a tablespoon of yogurt
- Then swallow fenugreek seeds first
- After that, swallow yogurt
- Follow this method several times per day
Remember not to chew them together.
Let Food Be Thy Medicine And Medicine Be Thy Food.
Lemon is also one of the natural home remedies for food poisoning due to its antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, the acid presented in lemon is able to kill the bacteria which cause food poisoning. Therefore, when you have food poisoning, lemon is the most suitable choice. Let’s use it as these ways whenever you get food poisoning:
- Now you can cut a lemon into two halves. Then you squeeze them in order to take the juice. After that, you can add into a teaspoon of lemon juice a pinch of sugar. Finally, drink this two or three times per day
- Sometimes, you can apply lemon as a treatment for food poisoning like this simple way. You just need to dilute a tablespoon of lemon juice in a glass of warm water. And sipping this solution, when you have food poisoning, will help you to clean your system out.
And whenever you choose to treat food poisoning, you need to remember to keep doing until all the symptoms of food poisoning are gone away.
6. Basil Juice And Honey
Basil is known as a fantastic herb which can soothe the abdominal discomfort caused by food poisoning. Additionally, it is capable of fighting the micro-organisms because of its antimicrobial properties. And in order to get the benefits of basil, you ought to follow these steps below:
- Firstly, take and wash carefully some basil leaves
- Then extract the juice from these leaves
- Next add a tablespoon of honey into its juice
- After that, add a little fresh coriander juice if you want
- Finally, drink this solution several times per day
- Keep doing this method until your situation is improved
7. Basil Oil
You can use not only basil juice but also basil oil. It can work as one of the great home remedies for food poisoning. Here is the way you can apply basil oil when you get food poisoning:
- First take a few drops of basil oil
- After that, pour them into four cups of water
- Finally, drink this water slowly all day
- Continue doing this remedy until you feel better
If you use this remedy, it will also help to kill the bacteria which cause stomach pain or other problems.
8. Sea Salt, Basil Leaves, Black Pepper With Yogurt
Basil brings you a lot of benefits in treating food poisoning. If you don’t want to use its juice or oil, you can add basil leaves with other ingredients. Here is the detailed instruction you need to follow:
- Firstly, prepare these things well: some basil leaves, a pinch of black pepper, three tablespoons of yogurt as well as some sea salt
- Then mix all the ingredients well together
- Finally, eat this mixture up to four times per day
- Continue doing until your condition is improved
Garlic also is said to have the effect in fighting food poisoning because of its strong antifungal, antiviral along with antibacterial properties. Besides, it is able to relieve the symptoms such as diarrhea and abdominal pain. Therefore, when you want to get rid of food poisoning, you can follow one of these directions below:
- This is the first direction for you. You just need to eat a fresh garlic clove. Then you swallow it with water.
- And this is the second direction for you. Firstly, you take some fresh garlic cloves. After that, you extract juice from them. Finally, consume garlic juice.
- This is the third direction for you. Now you take some garlic oil. And then mix it with an equal amount of soybean oil well together. Finally, you gently rub this mixture onto your stomach after you eat something.
Don’t forget to apply the remedy you choose regularly until your symptoms are taken away.
As you know, banana is both a delicious fruit and a good remedy for a lot of problems including food poisoning. It is rich in potassium, so it can help to supply the amount of potassium which you lose because of diarrhea and vomiting.
Therefore, you just need to consume a ripe banana every day. It will help you to restore your energy level. If you want to eat a ripe banana, let’s make a banana shake. Drinking this healthy and tasty banana shake two or three times per day in order to get rid of food poisoning.
11. Cumin Seeds With Coriander Juice
Cumin seeds are sometimes called jeera. These seeds will help you to ease the abdominal discomfort as well as stomach inflammation caused by food poisoning. Therefore, whenever you have food poisoning, let’s do this remedy according to this detailed instruction.
- Firstly, pour a teaspoon of cumin seeds into a cup of water
- Secondly, boil it
- After boiling, remove the heat and let it cool
- Next add to this solution a little salt and a teaspoon of coriander juice which you can extract from the coriander leaves or you can buy at the stores, market and supermarket
- Finally, drink this solution twice per day
- Continue drinking for a few days until you escape from all the symptoms of food poisoning
12. Cumin Seeds, Salt And Asafetida
As you have known, cumin seed is one of common ingredients present in home remedies for food poisoning. Thus, drinking the tea which made of cumin seeds, salt and asafetida is very helpful. Here is the way you can consult to make this tea.
- First pour a teaspoon of cumin seed into a cup of boiling water
- Then let it steep in a few minutes
- After that, add a little salt and asafetida into this liquid
- Next stir well
- Finally, drink this liquid twice or thrice per day
- Repeat this remedy in a few days until your symptoms are all gone
Honey is an effective remedy for a lot of health problems. That’s why, in this case, it also has some benefits on treating food poisoning. It includes both antibacterial and antifungal properties which are very useful in curing indigestion or some other symptoms of food poisoning. In addition, honey is able to be taken in the pure form or sometimes added to tea. One special thing is that you can find honey easily in the stores or markets.
Thus, if you consume a teaspoon of honey three times every day, it can heal your upset stomach wonderfully. In addition, it is capable of controlling the formation of excess acid which is in your stomach.
14. Peppermint Tea
If you want food poisoning to be taken away soon, you ought to try using peppermint tea. Here is the detailed instruction you can follow
- Firstly, take a few peppermint leaves
- Then pour one cup of boiling water into the leaves
- After that, let it steep in a few minutes
- Finally, drink this peppermint tea 3 or 4 times per day
- Keep doing this process until the symptoms of food poisoning are all gone away
Sometimes, you can eat anything which contains menthol or peppermint such as hard candies and chewing gum because peppermint is able to calm the contraction in your stomach down. Besides, it can help in digestion of food as well as expel gas.
15. Corn Starch With Orange Juice Or Apple Juice
If you want food poisoning to be taken away as quickly as possible, the combination between orange juice and corn starch will help you a lot. Here is the specific direction you can consult:
- First take a glass of orange juice
- Then add two teaspoons of corn starch syrup
- Next stir well together
- Finally, drink this juice in order to fasten the healing process
- Drink this several times per day until your condition is improved
Sometimes applying one of these above remedies is not enough. You should also know some useful tips below if you want to get rid of food poisoning.
- Allow your stomach to settle. That means you stop drinking or eating in a few hours
- Try drinking small sips of water or sucking on ice chips. You may try taking no caffeinated sports drinks or clear soda, too
- Ease back into eating but stop eating if nausea returns.
- Stay away from dairy products
- Avoid alcohol as well as caffeine
- Drink a lot of water, about 10 cups per day. When you are suffering from food poisoning, you ought to drink more water than that.
- Have a rest
- Do not consume spicy food or fatty food
- Wash your hand carefully with antiseptic soap before or after you have meals
- Wash your dishes as well as utensils in the warm water in order to kill bacteria
- Use a disinfectant so as to clean cutting boards, tables, and kitchen slaps regularly
- Store your food properly in order to prevent cross-contamination
- Avoid eating fresh mushrooms which have just been picked up
- Do not eat the food which you keep in fridge for a long time
- Cook everything carefully until it is well done, especially meat
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 15 natural and fast home remedies for food poisoning, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your food poisoning easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any in these home remedies for food poisoning. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for food poisoning, please leave them below.