Pink eye which is also called conjunctivitis is when the conjunctiva is red and swollen. This means that it was infected and irritated. It is very popular and can be quickly contagious. Besides, if you are in pink eye, it can show that your immune system is weakened. In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com will show you 30 best natural home remedies for pink eye relief in adults & children that are effective and safe to apply at home. The following writing collected the information related to pink eye treatments from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informative purpose, and it is not intended to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Top 30 Natural Home Remedies For Pink Eye Relief In Adults & Children
Using honey significantly can help to eliminate an amount of bacteria that was found around and on your eyes. Some recent published reports claimed that honey has positive impacts on clearing wound infection quickly as well as promoting minimal scar formation. It also has antimicrobial agents to protect your eyes from a broad spectrum of fungi and bacteria.
- ¼ tsp of raw honey
- ¼ cup of pure water
- A pinch of fresh salt
- You get a mixture by mixing raw honey with fresh salt and pure warm water. You should not get too hot water because it can damage some of the beneficial agents of the water.
- Then you boil the mixture and let it cool before applying it.
- Next, you use a clean dropper and put 1 or 2 drops in your eyes when you need.
You should practice carefully and regularly to get the best results.
2. Salt Water Wash To Treat Pink Eye
This is one of the most popular home remedies for pink eye. Salt water (saline) eye drops are often advised for curing pink eye. It is very simple to make and you can make it yourself at home.
- You boil 1/2 or 1 tiny spoon of salt with 1 cup of water and let the mixture cool completely before using.
- Next, you use a clean dropper to wash your eyes with the cooled salt water. This way can be used to wash your eyes as well as allergy and sinus issues.
- You should rinse your affected eyes off several times a day.
- You can use a gentle eye cream to help the delicate skin of your eyelids soothe after washing.
Note: you should keep it out your eyes in order to avoid further irritation.
Potato acts as a natural astringent as well as helps to treat pink eye at home. Here is a suggestion for you to refer:
- You slice a raw potato and put it on your infected eye
- Then you keep waiting for at least 20 minutes.
- You should repeat this way for about 3 days to get better results. When you use it often, the potato can eliminate the swelling because of its astringent properties.
4. Tea Bags For Curing Pink Eye
Many people use tea bags to eliminate the puffiness under their eyes as well as revitalize tired eyes. Besides, tea bags can eliminate the inflammation and tiredness that pink eye causes. To treat pink eye by tea bags, you can do below steps:
- You get tea bags and boil them in water and wait for a few minutes.
- Next, you put it in the refrigerator to cool them.
- You can put them all over your eyes and leave them on for 15-20 minutes.
Using cold tea bags will decrease the swelling in your eyelids and eliminate the itching and redness. You can also use the boiled water to wash your eyes gently after cooling it.
Keep reading this article about home remedies for pink eye to get more information!
5. Using Goldenseal
Goldenseal has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and astringent agents. It also contains berberine. Berberine can fight infection as well as kill the bacteria that lead to pink eye. To treat pink eye by goldenseal, you can use one cup of boiled water and 2 tiny spoons of goldenseal or you can get a mixture by mixing comfrey, chamomile, one cup of boiled water and 1/8 tiny spoon of goldenseal. You should wait for 15 minutes. After straining it, you can apply it as eye drops.
6. Neem Leaves For Treating Pink Eye
There are antibacterial properties in neem leaves. Therefore, it is very good for people who are in pink eye.
- You add a few neem leaves to water and boil it for 10 minutes.
- After it cools, you strain its water
- You use it to rinse your eyes.
- You should do it regularly throughout the day to eliminate the infection for 2 days. Besides, you can also apply neem water like a wet compress to eliminate the redness and swelling in your infected eyes.
7. Boric Powder To Get Rid Of Pink Eye
Lema formation may be a real issue when you are pink eye. To eliminate the thick lema, which can prevent you from opening eyes properly, you can follow this way:
- You take a tiny spoon of boric powder and add a cup of boiled water into it.
- Then, you put a clean cloth into that mixture of water and wring dry.
- Next, you apply it on the dry lema in order to loosen it. You wipe it off gently from your eyes. You can also use the water for washing your eyes for eliminating the irritation connected with the infection.
8. Warm Compress
A warm compress is necessary for removing all sorts of swelling. It can raise the blood flow to your eyes. It will let your eyes relax and soothe the redness and irritation. To treat pink eye by warm compress, you take a clean cloth and put it into warm water. Next, you wring dry and practice on the top of your eyes for minutes. You should do it regularly for eliminating the itchiness and soreness completely as well as helping you to have bright eyes.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar For Curing Pink Eye
Using apple cider vinegar gives you many healthy benefits. It is one of great home remedies for pink eye. Apple cider vinegar has the ability to eliminate bacterial and viral on your eyes. It will remove infections, any microbe or protozoa’s which may impact on your inner eye parts.
- You take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar then mix with a cup of water.
- Then, you take a clean towel and dip it into the mixture.
- You apply it gently around your nearby eye surface.
10. Castor Oil
Castor oil is an effective treatment for curing pink eye. It is also good to eliminate the eye irritation. You can take a dropper and leave a drop of this oil in your eye. You should apply this method 3 times in a day. On the off chance that you get it early, this cures truly overnight. To apply, you spread the castor oil generously onto the upper & lower eyelids. You do not stress over whether it is getting into your eye or the kindled tissue of the underside of the eyelids.
- You prepare castor oil and put it in a clean eye dropper
- You put a drop of castor into your infected eye 3 times a day
- You should do it daily to eliminate all the symptoms of pink eye
11. Milk And Honey
The mixture of honey and milk is an effective and powerful remedy to defeat pink eye. It can protect you from almost all kinds of bacterial infection.
- In order to get a mixture of milk with honey to cure your pink eye, you take one tablespoon of milk and one tablespoon of honey.
- Next, you mix them properly then warm them well.
- You put the mixture in a clean dropper and use it as an eye drop. Besides, you can also use the mixture to wash your affected eye.
There are many home remedies for pink eye, keep following to discover more!
12. Treating Pink Eye By Jasmine Flowers
Using jasmine flower not only reduces pain, but also eliminates other symptoms of pink eye. You can refer below steps:
- To use jasmine flower, firstly, you soak some jasmine flowers in distilled water for all night.
- Secondly, you take the flowers from water in the next morning.
- Then you press them tightly.
- You make some drops and allow them on your eye.
You should apply this method frequently in order to get better results.
13. Lemon Juice For Eliminating Pink Eye
Lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies for pink eye. In order to use lemon juice for treating pink eye, firstly, you prepare some drops of lemon juice. Next, you rinse your face and your eye properly, and then use a tissue paper or a clean towel to make them dry. You put some drops of the lemon juice into your eye. If you get too much irritation with this remedy, you should stop using it immediately.
14. Coconut Oil Remedy
It is found that coconut oil is a wonderful solution for curing pink eye at home. By using coconut oil consistently, you will cure your current pink eye as well as prevent it from returning once more.
- You get a tablespoon of natural coconut oil 3 times each day.
- You can make smoothies, and mix it with daily foods and eat directly.
- Moreover, in order to use as an external solution for curing pink eye, you can rub coconut oil on your upper eye, cover as well as apply directly 2 drops into your eyes with a clean eye dropper.
Note: You should warm the oil marginally so that it can turn to a fluid. Remember that it is better to use coconut oil outside. You should use it before bed time.
15. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is properly one of the best ingredients that is often used for treating a lot of common health problems. It contains many effective antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties and has amazing effects on pink eye.
- You take some aloe vera leaves, and then grind them to get the juice.
- You put a few drops of the aloe vera juice or gel into your eyes.
- You should apply this method several times a day.
- You have to use natural and fresh aloe vera juice because it is good for your eyes.
16. Turmeric Powder
Turmeric is known as a natural antibiotic. You will see the fast result if you use turmeric to cure your pink eye.
- You take ½ cup of warm water and wait until it has typical room temperature.
- Next, you add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 squeeze of table salt to it.
- You should use a clean cloth to put the mixture on it so that turmeric powder and salt cannot drop to your face or nose.
- Then put it to your affected eye and keep waiting for 20 or 30 minutes.
You should practice it twice a day to get the best results.
17. Fennel Seeds To Treat Pink Eye
Fennel seeds are a great natural cure for pink eyes. Some research have claimed that fennel seeds contain many specific compounds that can be applied to cure numerous eye conditions including pink eye. Treating pink eye by crushing fennel seeds can eliminate the numerous symptoms connected with pink eye condition.
To having the fennel seed eye wash, you boil 2 heaped teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds in 1/2 liter of water. Then, you let the water cool down and you strain the fennel seeds. Next, you put the fennel seed water into a clean eye dropper. You take it to your eyes to eliminate the itchiness and pain.
Coffee is one of the at home effective remedies for curing pink eye condition. A homemade eyewash which made from coffee granules can help to soothe many symptoms of pink eye. In order to prepare this home remedy for treating pink eye, you boil 1 cup of water. Next, you put 2 pinches of coffee into the hot water and keep waiting until the water becomes cool completely. Now, you wash your eyes thoroughly with this water. You will eliminate the unpleasant symptoms that are caused by pink eye.
Keep reading this writing to discover other home remedies for pink eye!
19. Not Wearing Contact Lenses Anymore
If you use contact lenses, you should stop wearing them till your eyes feel better. Wearing contact lenses will collect, breed virus and bacteria easily. It also makes your eyes feel uncomfortable and can lead to pink eye.
You should not use it anymore. You will never know whether the contact lenses have any remnant of the bacteria or virus in them. You have to sure that you use the new solution to clean them properly before reusing them If you want to continue using them.
You had better take the chance and quit wearing contact lenses. They just give too many risks like fungal infection, dry eye, or corneal abrasion for your eyes.
20. Calendula Flower Petals
You mix 1 cup of water with 2 tiny spoons of calendula flower petals and boil it. You should allow the mixture to cool down. Next, when it is still warm, you dip or soak a clean cloth in it.
Now, you can apply it on your infected eye. This remedy can be very useful in curing pink eye.
21. Ice Pack
Using ice pack is one of the most effective and easiest ways to eliminate the symptoms of the disease. It can help you to remove itching, redness and swelling.
You put a clean cloth dipped in cold water then apply it on your infected eye. You should keep on doing this remedy again by changing cloth and water. Do it daily to get rid of pink eye.
22. Coriander With Boiling Water
A great way to eliminate the pain and swelling in a pink eye is to wash it with a mixture by mixing a pinch of freshly dried coriander in boiled water. You should rinse your infected eye with the mixture when it cools down.
23. Charcoal Poultice
A mixture of charcoal poultice and water has a high effect for treating pink eye. You make a mixture of water and charcoal then apply it to the poultice. Next, you leave this poultice on your eye and use a head bandage to hold it in place. The head bandage must not be so tight so that it can compress the eyeballs
- You take 3/4 pint of boiled water and add one handful of eyebright leaves and flowers to it.
- You cover and let in place until the water is warm; you strain to get eyebright water.
- Then you add three tablespoons of honey, stir until it dissolved.
- Next, you soak a very clean cloth to the mixture then place on your eye for 15-20 minutes. You have to make sure that the cloth is moist.
This mixture can also be used to rinse your eyes several times. You can use milk instead of the water.
Keep reading to get more information about other natural home remedies for pink eye!
25. Wash Your Eyes Regularly
To eliminate the pain and irritation in your eyes, it is suggested that you should wash your eyes daily. Today, there are many solutions which are applied for washing pink eye. It is using the cotton balls that are soaked in water and applied on your infected eyes. The cotton balls which you are applying for your infectious eyes must be properly cleaned. You should remember to protect your eyes from dirt so that they always clean.
26. Removing Pink Eye With Probiotics
Probiotics have many positive impacts on treating pink eye. In order to treat pink eye with probiotics, you can apply breast milk as well as yogurt liquid because both of products contain probiotics. You just apply 1 or 2 drops of probiotics and use it 3 times a day to cure your pink eye.
27. Vegetable Juices For Treating Pink Eye
Vegetable juices are very helpful in treating pink eye. You can mix 300 ml of carrot juice with 200 ml of spinach juice to make carrot and spinach juice. Besides, to make carrot and parsley juice, you can combine 200 ml of raw parsley juice with 300 ml of carrot juice. Those vegetable juices can help you to eliminate pink eye as well as give you a good health. Drink the juice daily to see the improvement.
28. Get Rid Of Pink Eye With Boric Acid
Boric acid can help to treat many eye problems such as dryness, a burning sensation, redness, and tearing because of its antifungal and mild antibacterial properties. It also helps to soothe eye irritation and cleanse your eyes.
- You mix 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of boric acid which is available as colorless crystals or the white powder and boil this mixture.
- You apply it as an eyewash or you can apply it to your eye with a clean cloth or cotton balls.
- Wash your eyes with warm water.
- You should repeat 2 or 3 times a day to get a better result.
29. Using Garlic
Garlic not only is a wonderful spicy in your kitchen but also can help you boost the immune system as well as keep your health effectively. You also use garlic to treat pink eye. In order to do that, you just peel some cloves of garlic and smash them. Next, you rub it over your eyelid of the affected eye. You should try applying this method because it can eliminate infections effectively.
30. Baking Soda
Baking soda is the natural home remedy, which can help you to treat pink eye. It is can help to soothe itchiness more than a treatment. However, this ingredient may really help. You make an eyewash by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 cup of water to rinse your eyes regularly.
All of above tips are top 30 natural home remedies for pink eye relief in adults & children that you can choose from. If you want to know more about natural home remedies for other diseases and conditions, you can go to visit our main Home Remedies page.