Psoriasis is known as a common skin condition, which can change the life cycle of the skin cells. Psoriasis can cause cells to build up quickly on the skin’s surface. The extra skin cells will form silvery and thick scales together with dry, itchy, and red patches, which are sometimes painful. This chronic disease is difficult to cure completely. There is no radical treatment for this disease; however, it is not difficult to find natural remedies to limit the development of psoriasis. In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com will show you top 25 natural home remedies for psoriasis on hands, feet, and other body parts. The following writing collected all information related to relieving psoriasis condition from reliable sources. However, it is only for the information purpose, and it is not intended to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
25 Best Natural Home Remedies For Psoriasis On Hands, Feet, & Other Body Parts
1. Fish Oil
Some researchers realize that using the fish oil can help the patients to raise the immune system. Psoriasis is known as an autoimmune disease, so fish oil is a good way to improve psoriasis symptoms. In order to reduce symptoms of psoriasis, you should eat many kinds of fish that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as albacore tuna, and salmon. Eating 2 or 3 servings weekly is the best way.
Note: if you are on blood thinners, you do not use fish oil in no circumstance because it can raise the risk for bleeding.
Some patients claim that stress makes their psoriasis symptom be more seriously. It makes them itchy and painful when they have psoriasis plaques or be difficult to move if they have psoriatic arthritis. Yoga is a famous method for reducing stress. Spend 20 minutes every day to do a yoga exercise such as stretching, breathing, or strengthening movements. You can take a basic class about yoga, health & fitness at some fitness centers and then do it yourself at home in order feel more comfortable.
3. Turmeric Powder
Psoriasis is a disease caused by infection with symptoms such as pain, silvery & thick scales, and itchy & red patches on the surface of skin. With such symptoms, curcumin in turmeric powder has antibacterial agents that can help relieve them. In addition, curcumin can heal the damaged skin, prevent infection, and heal your wounds quickly.
- Way 1: Mix turmeric powder and water to get a sticky mixture and use directly on the affected skin. You should practice this method every night before going to bed, and you will rinse off your skin in the next morning.
- Way 2: You can also use turmeric powder directly by using it as a spice every day. Turmeric is also needed for pig’s tripe, fried vegetables, meat stock, tomato, and more to make more attractive meals while treating psoriasis.
- Way 3: You also drink the mixture of turmeric with a glass of warm milk or honey for instead.
4. Coconut Oil
Because coconut oil has many antibacterial and antifungal agents, especially contains large amounts of enzymes and nutrients that are very good and safe for skin. Many people have used coconut oil as one of the simple home remedies for psoriasis. After a period of using coconut oil, it was very surprised that coconut oil not only helps inhibit the spread of psoriasis but also improve its symptoms.
- First, you take a bath with warm water clearly to make the skin become soft and absorb the nutrients from coconut oil more easily. Next, you apply coconut oil on the affected areas where having psoriasis and wait for 15-30 minutes so that coconut oil can be permeable through the skin. After a period of time using coconut oil, you will see the affected skin areas have a significant improvement.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help to reduce the symptoms of psoriasis because it can balance the body’s pH level.
- Option 1: To use on the skin’s surface.
You mix apple cider vinegar with water at the ratio of 1: 1 then you soak a cotton gauze pad or clean cloth to the mixture and rub gently on the affected area. After 30 minutes, you can wash your skin thoroughly with fresh water. You should do this way at least twice a day.
With this method, the antimicrobial agents of apple cider vinegar will help to remove harmful factors and restore the pH balance of your skin.
Note: You should try on a small skin area to check for allergic level before using at the first time.
- Option 2: To drink.
You mix apple cider vinegar with water at the ratio of 2:10
Next, you add a spoon of honey to improve the taste of the mixture.
You should drink this mixture regularly to get the best results.
Note: Do not drink water with too much concentration of apple cider vinegar because the acid in apple cider vinegar can harm your skin as well as tooth enamel.
There are a lot of other home remedies for psoriasis presented in this article, so continue reading it to learn more!
6. Aloe Vera
There are five types of psoriasis, but the most common symptom is peeling skin. Aloe vera is known as one of the most effective home remedies for psoriasis. One study indicated that aloe vera can reduce pain quickly and heal peeling skin.
- You wash aloe leaves and take their coating off.
- After take a bath, you use aloe vera gel to rub the affected skin areas.
- Besides using the fresh aloe vera, you can also use the boiled aloe vera water to drink every day.
- You should combine both internal and external treatments to have the fastest efficiency.
7. Argan Oil
Pure argan oil contains many fatty acids, oleic, phenols, carotenes, squalene, and more. Especially, vitamin E found in argan oil is not only used to treat eczema, rash, hair loss… but also has positive effects on relieving psoriasis.
- You mix about 3-5 drops of argan oil with the palms
- Next, massage gently on the affected areas for about 5 minutes and wash them with water
- Then, you pat them dry with a clean towel.
- You can do this way regularly to relieve symptoms of this disease quickly.
8. Vitamin D
A research written in 2011 found that lack of vitamin D is very popular in psoriasis patients. Those who spend time indoors are more at risk of vitamin D deficiency because the exposure with the sunshine can raise vitamin D in your body. Therefore, you should get at least 20 minutes every day with the sunshine in the early morning to absorb vitamin D which is essential for your skin.
9. Banana Peel
Banana peel is one of the important components to cure skin diseases including psoriasis. This can be one of the easy home remedies for psoriasis. You just use a banana peel and rub the surface of the peel to your affected skin areas. It will help to reduce the itch as well as remove the rashes.
10. Water & Baking Soda
This mixture will help to eliminate itch for affected areas
- You prepare 4 tiny spoons of water and 1 tiny spoon of baking soda.
- Next, you mix them together and rub it on the affected skin areas by soft cloth to protect your skin from bacteria.
- You should leave it until it dries and falls off
11. Taking A Bath
You can apply this method at home easily. With this way, you can reduce scales, plaques and itch on your body.
- Firstly, you fill your bath tank with warm water. You can add olive oil, a cup of milk, oatmeal powder or Epsom salt.
- Next, you should soak yourself in the mixture for about 20 minutes every day.
In order to have the best result, after taking a bath, you should moisturize yourself immediately.
There is another way you can refer:
- You put oatmeal into a muslin cloth and wrap
- Then, you put it into a half of hot water on the bath tank
- You should add more cool water to have the comfortable water temperature and soak yourself for 10 minutes.
- While soaking, you can use oatmeal bag and rub gently on your body
- The oatmeal bag is only used once a week.
You should practice this solution regularly to see the best result.
12. Ice Pack
An ice pack will help to reduce irritation and itchiness caused by psoriasis. It can also soothe the severe pain for patients.
- Firstly, you put ice cubes into a clean towel or washcloth and wrap.
- Then you rub it gently on the affected area.
- Leave it on your skin for about 10 minutes.
- You should practice this few hours per day during flare-ups.
There are many home remedies for psoriasis, keep reading to get more information!
Garlic is one of wonderful home remedies for psoriasis because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It suppresses the activity of lipoxygenase – an enzyme that leads to the inflammation linked to psoriasis.
- You make a mixture by mixing aloe vera oil with garlic oil at the ratio of 1: 1.
- Then you apply it on the affected skin areas.
- Keep waiting for about 15 minutes and wash it off.
- You should practice it very day until the affected skin areas are improved.
Besides, eating garlic can also protect you from psoriasis outbreaks because of its blood purifying property and active compounds. You may eat two garlic cloves every day. You should crush it before eating to get best results.
14. Using Tea Tree Oil
It is found that tea tree oil components contain antiseptic properties. Despite no research about the positive impacts of this kind of oil on psoriasis, many patients still claimed that applying tea tree oil made their symptoms be improved. People who have to suffer from psoriasis on scalp may use a few drops of this oil with shampoo.
- In order to have the mixture of tea tree oil and shampoo, you take 10 drops of tea tree oil and mix with eight ounces of shampoo.
- You give this mixture in a bottle and shake so that the tea tree oil can be distributed thoroughly.
- Then you rub the mixture to the affected skin areas and wait for about 5 minutes then wash with water
- Let do it every day and it can help to reduce flakes and soothe the itch.
Note: you should test on small skin area to make sure that you are not allergic to this mixture
15. Use Dead Sea salts
In spite of not having any popular technique, it is understood that using salts at Dead Sea effectively can help to eliminate the burning sensation and itching of psoriasis. You can soak yourself in salts of Dead Sea then wash your body with warm water. This is one of simple home remedies for psoriasis that help you to reduce dead skin flakes and soothe your skin.
People have used Dead Sea salts for a long time and sometimes, the result may be amazing. They have reported their affected skin areas are treated, a even is healed completely. But you should remember that this remedy is not generic one, and it means that it does not take the same positive impact on all people who try Dead Sea salts. It is recommended by dermatologists that using these salts helps to clear the pores of your skin. Therefore, it also eventually helps in treating psoriasis.
16. Capsaicin Ointment
Capsaicin can overload pain transmitters. For most people, using capsaicin to treat psoriasis will lead to burning your skin initially then reducing both itching and pain rapidly.
- You mix 1 cup of almond oil (or some other oil like olive, grape seed or jojoba oil) with 3 spoons of cayenne powder together.
- Then you put the mixture into a double boiler heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take 1/2 cup of grated beeswax and stir with the mixture until it is completely melted and they are blended together.
- You put the mixture of oil, cayenne and grated beeswax in the refrigerator and wait for 10 minutes then you whisk them together.
- Continue to let it in a refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes and whip it again before giving it in a glass bottle.
- It will keep for about 2 weeks and you should practice daily for the pain to see the best results.
Note: In order to avoid contacting accidentally with mucous membranes, remember to wear gloves whenever you touch directly to any product having capsaicin component.
17. Cabbage Leaves For Psoriasis Treating
Cabbage leaves have the ability to eliminate inflammation as well as control itching and pain.
- In order to use cabbage leaves for psoriasis treating, you clean cabbage leaves thoroughly.
- Then you take a rolling pin to flat them and take the thick veins out the leaves so that you can feel more comfortable when apply them on your skin.
- Next, you put cabbage leaves on a low flame to make them be soft.
- Finally, you leave those leaves on the affected skin areas.
- You should overlap the leaves so that your affected areas can be covered
You put the leaves on your skin with gauze and take them off until they become dry then replace with other fresh leaves. You should continue until the affected skin starts clearing away and you feel better. This is one of the best and simple home remedies for psoriasis.
18. Bitter Gourd
In order to cure psoriasis with bitter gourd, you can follow the following way:
- You mix a teaspoon of lime juice and bitter gourd juice together.
- You apply this juice mixture every morning to eliminate all your skin problems forever.
- You should continue practicing the treatment for several months until you see definite results. When you see the result as you want, you will surely feel relaxed and better.
Keep reading this article to learn some home remedies for psoriasis!
Many people found that stress can lead to their psoriasis symptoms. As we know, massage is a useful way to eliminate stress. It also has been known as a method to reduce chronic pain that can often go with psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis. If you are not inconvenient to have a professional massage, you can ask your partner to knead or rub your soft tissues and muscles to help you relax. You should avoid using massage oils which will make your skin be allergic.
20. Colorful Veggies & Fruits
One of the easiest home remedies for psoriasis is to eat many fresh vegetables and fruits. You make sure you have a full of colorful veggies & fruits when planning meals and you won’t miss any essential nutrient. Veggies and colorful fruits are rich in fiber and have disease-fighting antioxidants. It makes you less likely to overeat and feel fuller. When you are in psoriasis, you need to keep a healthy weight in order that any medication can be more effective.
21. Right Way To Bath
Too many showers and baths may make your skin dry. So that you can protect your skin, here are some suggestions:
- You should take fewer baths and showers that can make your skin natural oils disappear.
- Bathe every day, especially in the winter months.
- You have to use warm water instead of using hot water, which can be allergic.
- Let get more oil, salts or oatmeal to your bath water after a few minutes you’ve soaked to soothe your skin because plain water can make your skin dry.
- Remember that you do not rub towel off to your skin. You just pat yourself gently dry and then you should apply a natural moisturizer
22. Quit Smoking
You may mark psoriasis to the black list of health problems which smoking makes worse. In a previous study, researchers found that people who smoked ½ pack of cigarettes or less were likely to have less serious psoriasis than those who smoked a pack. Smoking had the stronger negative effect in women who had the skin condition.
Many experts say that quitting smoking is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis that you can do to take care of your skin health. Remember that quitting also reduces your risks for lung disease, cancer, heart disease and other health conditions.
23. Balance Your Diet
No evidence can sure that there is any specific food that can make psoriasis symptoms be better or worse. Many patients of psoriasis also said their symptoms improved more after reducing certain foods such as white flour, caffeine, sugar or gluten. It has no side effect to experiment, so let try using to have any improvement.
24. Castor Oil To Treat Psoriasis
Castor oil is known as one of the important home remedies for psoriasis. It can inhibit psoriasis symptoms to a large extent.
- Firstly, you take some drops of castor oil and practice directly on the skin area where having psoriasis
- Then you should keep it overnight
- This oil can alleviate psoriasis symptoms quickly
- You have to make sure that you do not practice it on your cracked skin.
You should repeat this way regularly to help your skin to get relief from the irritation and itching.
25. Drink More Water
Drinking more water is one of the easy natural psoriasis remedies that you do not have ever thought of. Drinking plain water can help to keep your skin hydrated. When you are in psoriasis, being well hydrated can prevent your skin from becoming too dry. Your body has more than 90 percentages of water, and you have to constantly provide it. Another easy way for reducing psoriasis at home is to use a humidifier, which will help to keep skin moisturized, especially in winter.
All of above tips are top 25 natural home remedies for psoriasis that you can choose from. If you want to know more about natural home remedies for other diseases and conditions, you can go to visit our main Home Remedies page. Besides using those remedies, you should avoid using perfumes, dyes, and sugar, and remember moisturizing your skin to remove plaques.