The toothache can be very popular. It is a feeling of pain in your teeth or around your jaws. There are several causes leading to toothaches, such as cavities, an infection in your gum, gum disease, tooth decay, plaque, or loss of a tooth. A toothache occurs when the pulp (the central portion of the tooth) becomes extremely painful. Therefore, it is considered as one thing at the top of the list for not-a-fun-time
Symptoms of toothache can be difficult to be diagnosed. You have to do a complete oral evaluation to identify the actual symptoms. Some of the most popular symptoms are having pain during bite, fever, difficult breathing or swallowing, pain in swelling around the tooth, and more. If you have got a toothache, you may feel very painful and uncomfortable. In some cases, tooth pain can come and go fast. However, the best advice for you is that you should find out an immediate advice from a dentist before the problem gets worse.
You are suffering from a toothache and you want to know which ways you can use to ease your pain at your own home. You should read this article. In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com reveals to you top 29 natural home remedies for toothache pain relief. This list has the best treatments to relieve toothache from natural sources. It is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Read and discover these 29 at home remedies in more detail!
Top 29 Natural Home Remedies For Toothache Pain Relief
There are 29 best home remedies for toothache which can relieve your pain temporarily as below:
Garlic is known as one of the natural remedies that can relieve your toothache. It has antibiotic and other substances which may be effective in reducing the pain. To use garlic for treating toothache, you can follow the following steps:
- a crushed garlic
- some salt
- Mix a crushed garlic clove with some salt
- Apply it directly on the region where your affected tooth exists.
- If not, chew one or two cloves of garlic instead.
- Remember that apply this remedy for a few days
The second fast and natural way is the use of onion. Onions have antiseptic and other properties that can control a toothache by killing the factors causing an infection. Here are detailed instructions to use onion for relieving toothache:
- You can chew raw onion for a few minutes.
- In case you are not able to chew it, you can also place a piece of onion directly on the infected tooth.
3. Salt water
One of the easiest home remedies for toothache is using salt water. A glass of warm salt water can treat simply a toothache. Salt water has a good effect on cleansing the area around the tooth. The remedy is very simple so you can apply it easily at your own home.
- You mix half a spoon of salt in a glass of warm water
- Then, you stir the mixture until salt melts completely
- Next, you take the water inside your mouth
- Rinse out for up to 30 seconds
- Finally, you spit it out.
- Repeat this treatment several times per day
4. Ice cubes
One of other home remedies for toothache is using ice cubes. They can ease tooth pain easily. To apply ice for toothache, you can use crushed ice or ice cubes, whichever is more suitable. Here are step by step instructions you can follow at home:
- You need to wrap a piece of ice cube in a cotton cloth or a plastic bag.
- Then you put it on your cheek near the aching tooth for about 15 minutes.
- An alternative technique is to rub an ice cube between your index finger and thumb for a few minutes. It is proved as an effective medicine that interacts with pain from many regions of the body.
There are a lot of other home remedies for toothache presented in this writing, so if you want to know more, continue reading it!
Clove is very effective in dealing with toothache problem. This ingredient has antibacterial, antioxidant, anesthetic & anti-inflammatory that help ease tooth pain and fight against infection. Here are detailed instructions to use this remedy for dealing with toothache:
- 2 whole cloves
- A little olive oil (or any vegetable oil instead)
- You grind cloves into a powder
- Then you mix it on olive oil or other oil
- Apply it on the painful tooth
- Using a cotton ball is another option.
- Dab it in clove oil & rub it on your pain
You can also apply a little of clove oil directly on your bad tooth. Alternatively, mixing a few drops of clove oil in half a glass of water, then use the mixture as a mouthwash. It is a long time folk remedy for dental pain.
6. Peppermint Tea
This ingredient also has miraculous power. You only add a tsp of dried peppermint leaves to a cup of boiling water and wait for 20 minutes until it cools, swish it around or in your mouth and then spit it out or even swallow. You will see a considerable improvement in relieving your toothache.
7. Nutmeg Oil
Using nutmeg oil is a less popular solution. You place a drop of nutmeg oil on a cotton swab and apply it to the area around the affected tooth. You can repeat this process several times a day.
The combination of bayberry and vinegar is one of the most effective home remedy for your painful tooth. This remedy may be used by mixing the bark of bayberry with the vinegar. This paste, when applied on your tooth, can alleviate your pain effectively.
9. Wheat Grass
The use of wheat grass cannot provide relief from toothache, but it strengthens your gums and tooth to fight more effectively against bacterial infections. You can chew wheat grass right on your dental problem. This way may prevent further tooth decay
You are not able to know that alcohol is also a natural home remedy for toothache. Alcohol has effect in killing bacteria and helps numbs your pain. You can use any kind of alcohol as a mouthwash, especially Vodka, Whiskey, Scotch- the strongest and most effective mouthwash. You take and swoosh alcohol inside your mouth, and then you spit it out
If you want to know other effective home remedies for toothache, keep reading it!
An affordable and easy way to deal with toothache is that you can use cucumber. Here are detailed instructions to follow at home:
- Place a cucumber in the refrigerator
- Slice it into some small pieces
- Then eat it with salt and pepper to get better taste.
It is a cool kind of fruit with so many essential nutrients to help soothe your pain
Potato consists of lots of nutrients that can cure tooth pain. You only need to slice a potato into small pieces, chew them with some salt. Enjoy it and see a considerable improvement.
A notice you should remember is using a toothpaste type that is designed for “sensitive teeth”. If you have a problem with tooth, using particular toothpaste can relieve a lot of pain caused by hot and cold foods you are suffering from.
14. Salt And Black Pepper
One of other useful home remedies for treating toothache is using the mixture of salt and black pepper. This remedy has the ability to cure problems linked sensitive tooth effectively. Both ingredients have anti-inflammatory, analgesic & antibacterial properties. To make this treatment for toothache, here are detailed instructions to follow at home:
- Mix black pepper with salt with the equal amount
- Add little water to make a paste
- Apply this remedy directly on your tooth
- Let it sit for a few minutes
- Repeat it daily until you have relief from toothache, besides, it also helps prevent cavities
15. Guava Leaves
Using guava leaves is the oldest remedy when it comes to soothing painful tooth. It eases the toothache, curing gums and mouth sores. The leaves consist of powerful antibacterial property which protects the teeth and gums. Step by step directions you can follow at home easily:
- You chew guava leaves until they release the juices
- If not, you can boil the guava leaves in water, cool this and add a little salt to it
- Then you use it as a mouthwash & rinse out the mouth
- Pay attention: use the fresh guava leaves. If not, you can also use raw spinach leaves instead.
Another powerful remedy for dental problems is asafetida. Here are step by step instructions to apply asafetida:
- Add a half tsp of powdered asafetida to 2 tsp of lemon juice
- Warm the mixture slightly
- Use a cotton pad to apply it on the affected region. This will give you a relief quickly from the pain
- Alternatively, put asafetida in clarified butter in your affected area
Continue reading the next part of this writing to know more about other home remedies for toothache.
17. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is considered as a measure to kill bacteria & give you comfort. This can provide instant relief if your toothache is attacked by fever or foul taste in your eating, you only need to swish with a mouthful of 3% Hydrogen peroxide
Pay attention: it is only for rinsing. Remember to spit it out & do this way several times with water.
18. Tincture Of Myrrh
The astringent found in myrrh helps with inflammation problem and kill bacteria. To make this remedy, you only follow:
- Use a tsp of powdered myrrh in two cups of water for half an hour
- Strain, and let it cool
- Rinse out your mouth with 1tsp of this in a cup of water 5-6 times a day
19. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is also powerful for treating dental problem. You only dab a cotton ball in vanilla. Then, you put it on your pain. Another alternative way is dipping a cotton swab in vanilla extract. Then, you put it onto your affected tooth.
20. Apple Cider Vinegar
Using apple cider vinegar is very good for preventing the toothache and killing the bacteria due to having inflammatory & antibacterial & acidic property. You soak a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar, apply it on your dental area, and repeat this remedy regularly.
Lime is also a measure which helps you alleviate your tooth pain. To do this treatment, you can follow at home:
- You cut lime into different slices
- Then you apply and bite onto affected area until you release the liquid
- Pay attention: if your tooth is sensitive to cold, you should take the lime to room temperature in case it was in the refrigerator.
Continue reading to discover other home remedies for toothache problem!
Plantain is very helpful for your tooth pain. You only need to chew up fresh plantain leaves. Next, you apply it to the problem area & hold it.
23. Baking Soda
Using baking soda will help you ease your toothache. Here are some easy steps to use this remedy:
- You can use a cotton swab & dab it in a bit water
- Then you dip it in baking soda ( coat the swab well with baking soda)
- Then you apply it directly on your tooth
Alternatively, you can also make a mouthwash by:
- Mix a spoonful of baking soda in a little lukewarm water
- Then dissolve this remedy
- Finally, apply the mixture in your problem area
24. Black Tea Bags
Tea is known as a source with full of tannic acid, helps relieve your pain, and heal. You keep a wet tea bag on your affected region of your tooth with a bit of pressure as long as possible. Another way is putting a soaked tea bag in cold water for some minutes before applying. However, you should not do this remedy if your tooth is so sensitive to the cold.
25. Lemon Juice
Lemon has pain reliever as well as critic acid and anti inflammatory which prevent the toothache. You can apply lemon juice on your affected tooth directly or apply a cotton ball soaked with lemon juice every 10 minutes till the liquid runs out
Avocado contains antioxidant property. You need to get drained or toasted avocado seeds, then you blend to make a powder. Finally, you apply this remedy on your decayed tooth and cover it with cotton. Remember that pregnant women should not do this treatment.
Oils contain soothing properties & inflammatory properties to heal from toothache when it is used to massage on the affected tooth. Use few drops of oils such as sesame oil, sunflower oil, oregano oil, then apply to your problem area for a few minutes, and then gargle with water.
Turmeric contains anti-bacterial & anti-septic property which heal your pain. Step by step the following instructions:
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with water to get a paste
- Use a cotton ball to apply the paste on your affected tooth
- Add honey if you want, or try the raw turmeric
29. Chewing Gum
If you have a broken tooth, you can use the softened chewing gum before going to see the dentist to repair it. Remember to avoid chewing anything else till you repaired it.
Overall, when it comes to using home remedies for toothache, you have plenty of different choices. Above home remedies only have temporary benefits. In order to reach the best result, you are advised to be consistent with a particular treatment. You should go to see a dentist and consult his advice. The dentist needs to do some explorations about the real reasons for your toothache. If you don’t find out what’s causing the ache, it will never get better.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies
After reading the article of top 29 home remedies for toothache pain relief, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of your dental condition quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for toothache, please leave them below.