Exposing to the sun too much may make you have an uneven complexion, redness, lines, and wrinkles. It is also the fastest way that leads to aging your skin. The sun damaged skin can accumulate over time, and can result from even several minutes under the sun at a certain time. The main reason for causing sun damaged skin is because of the overproduction of melanocytes and skin cells producing the melanin which makes your skin dark. In fact, the extra melanin may make the skin look tanned or even darker after exposing to the sun. There are many ways of healing sun damaged skin fast at home by using natural solutions such as herbs, vegetables, fruits, and other ingredients. In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com will show you the best sun damaged skin treatment tips. The following writing collected information from reliable sources. Keep reading this article to understand more!
Top 29 Natural Tips For Sun Damaged Skin Treatment
1. Lemon Juice And Plain Water
Lemon juice has alpha hydroxy acids and natural glycolic which may assist you in gently removing the superficial layer of your skin cells to help in improving the rough skin texture as well as the uneven skin tone caused by the sun.
- First of all, you squeeze a fresh lemon to get its juice.
- Now, you take a tablespoon of the lemon juice and then you mix in 1/2 cup of distilled water.
- Next, you stir them well and apply this mixture to your skin by using a cotton pad.
- You wait for a few minutes until it dries.
- Finally, you rinse off with lukewarm water or you may let it stay on your skin.
- Keep applying this process till you see an amazing improvement.
Note: Lemon juice may irritate your skin even when it is diluted. If you feel a painful sensation or burning after you apply this homemade remedy, you have to immediately rinse your skin with lukewarm water.
2. Dark Honey
You may apply the natural dark honey into your skin and other exposed body parts as a rejuvenating cleanser and mask. Honey, especially the dark varieties, has high levels of natural and healing antioxidants helping you decrease the damage of free radicals on your skin, which is caused by the sun exposure, stress, and pollution. They act by improving tone, moisture, and texture of your skin.
- At first, you spread a thin honey layer into your skin.
- Next, you allow it to sit on there for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Finally, you rinse off the honey with lukewarm water and then pat your skin dry.
- You should apply this process several times per week.
3. Oatmeal, Milk, And Honey
Skin care must be good enough to eat!
Oatmeal is another treatment in the list of sun damaged skin treatment. It is not believed to have the ability to heal damaged skin caused by the sun, although it is commonly known for healing other types of skin rashes. However, its soothing and healing properties, which relieve skin rashes, may also relieve the discomfort and pain of exposing to the sun too much. This is proved to be especially effective for people who have moved to a tropical area and have not exposed yet to the amount of sun.
Remedy 1: Soak in oatmeal water
- At first, you put enough cool water to fill a bathtub.
- Then you add 3 cups of dried oatmeal powder in this tub
- You stir well until the oatmeal powder is mostly dissolved
- Now, you soak yourself in this oatmeal bath and wait for about 30 minutes
- You can do this process 2 or 3 times a day till the effects caused by the sun damage disappear completely.
Remedy 2: Oatmeal with milk and honey
- Firstly, you take 1/2 cup of uncooked oats and then grind it to make its powder.
- Then you add 1/4 cup of milk and 2 or 3 teaspoons of honey in the oatmeal powder.
- Now, you mix them well until they form a paste.
- You apply this paste directly to your sun damaged skin.
- Keep waiting for about 15 to 20 minutes before washing off.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains 99 percentages of water and its 1% remaining includes 150 trace elements and minerals such as vitamins, manganese, sodiums, magnesium, chrome, calcium, copper, zinc, germanium, potassium, tannins, iron, amino acids, and selenium. Therefore, you may use aloe vera as a natural sun damaged skin treatment.
You will need:
- 1 aloe vera leaf
- First of all, you cut a slice from the aloe vera leaf by using the knife.
- Then, you use that knife again in order to cup open the leaf slice.
- Next, you take out the gel from this leaf.
- Now, you apply the aloe vera gel directly to the sun damaged skin.
- You allow it to dry naturally and you can see that the gel absorbs into your skin quite quickly. It will not make you feel greasy.
- You may rinse it off with cool water if you feel sticky after the gel dries out.
- You should reapply this way several times a day.
5. Cool Water
You can use cool water as a simple sun damaged skin treatment at home. Cool water may help you to decrease the skin’s swelling by removing heat away from your burned skin as well as to dispose of the associated pain.
Remedy 1: Drink cool water
You should drink enough cool water frequently during a day. Especially, you have to keep your body hydrated, which will assist you in healing your sun damaged skin faster.
Remedy 2: Cool compress
- First of all, you take a washcloth and then you soak it in a bowl of cool water. Remember not to use ice pack, cold water, or iced water to soak the cloth.
- Next, you apply this wet washcloth directly to your affected skin areas.
- You allow it to stay on there for a few minutes. Then you wet that cloth again and reapply many times.
- You should do this process for about 10 to 15 minutes for several times per day.
Remedy 3: Soak in cool water
In fact, the sun damaged skin sometimes occurs at some regions in which you can’t apply a cool compress such as your back. In this case, you may soak yourself in cool bath water for about 10 to 15 minutes. If you do not like soaking, you may also take a shower instead.
Understanding good skin care is knowing all the parts of the skin.
Cucumber has 96 percentages of water and its remaining is also a rich treasure of alkaline formed minerals and beneficial nutrients such as vitamins A, C, manganese, folate, molybdenum, potassium, sulfur, silica, etc. Besides, it also contains antioxidant and natural analgesic properties. In fact, all of these properties with components of cucumber make it become a great sun damaged skin treatment. To get the best results, you may follow these steps below.
- At first, you cut a cucumber into many small pieces.
- Then you grind cucumber pieces by using a blender or grinder until they form a paste.
- Afterward, you apply this paste directly to your affected skin.
- You leave for about 20 minutes before washing off.
- Or you may place these cucumber slices directly on the affected skin areas.
- You allow them to sit on there for about 30 minutes.
- Moreover, you can make cucumber juice.
- Then you use a wash cloth soaked in this juice and rub this cloth on your troubled areas.
- Keep applying these ways several times per day.
7. Baking Soda
Baking soda can be also considered as an effective sun damaged skin treatment. Baking soda has the ability to balance the acid-alkaline balance and the pH level of your skin, which can promote the healing faster. Simply, you may take a bath or apply a cool compress with using baking soda in water.
- First of all, you add half a cup or some tablespoons of baking soda into the bank tub which is filled with the bathwater.
- Afterward, you soak yourself for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remember not to use a towel to make it dry off and let it dry naturally so that the baking soda can be absorbed into your skin.
- Alternatively, you may make a compress by adding a few teaspoons of baking soda in a water bowl.
- Then you soak a wash cloth in it and apply this cloth into your affected areas.
- You should apply this process regularly to heal your condition faster.
8. Use Tea To Treat Sun Damaged Skin
In fact, tea contains tannic acid that can help you to get rid of the heat of your sun damaged skin. Besides, it also assists you in balancing the pH level of the skin, which gives you much more needed comforts.
- First of all, of course, you brew a few pinches of tea and then you let it cool down naturally.
- After that, you soak a clean cloth in this tea
- Now, you apply this cloth directly to your affected skin areas.
- Let it sit on there for a few minutes and rinse off with clean water
- In addition, you may add the tea into the bath water and soak yourself in it.
- Or you may wet a few tea bags and then use these tea bags to pat your affected skin area.
9. Tomato And Yogurt
If you don’t know about all the parts of skin, then you can’t really treat it.
Another treatment in the list of top 29 natural sun damaged skin treatment tips is using tomatoes. Tomato is very high in lycopene – a high antioxidant, which provides many needed cooling effects to your sun damaged skin. This fruit has the ability to cool and soothe your damaged skin. In addition, the vitamin A and C content in it may help you in replenishing the skin. For the best results, you should combine tomato with yogurt
You will need:
- 2 or 3 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- Firstly, you grind the tomatoes and then use a cloth or sieve to extract the juice.
- Then you add the yogurt in this tomato juice.
- You mix them well and apply this mixture directly on the sun damaged skin areas.
- You allow it to sit on your skin for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, you wash off with cool water
- It is recommended that you should repeat 2 to 3 times per day.
10. Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, Baking Soda, Mint Leaf, And Water
You can mix witch hazel, aloe vera, baking soda, mint leaf, and water together to make a homemade cream for healing your sun damaged skin.
You will need:
- Witch hazel – 1 tablespoon
- Aloe vera gel – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 3 or 4 teaspoons
- Chopped mint leaves – ½ cup
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- First of all, you mix witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and water together
- Now, you keep this mixture aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- After that, you add the baking soda and mint leaves this mixture. You may add more baking soda if you need to get the consistent mixture.
- You stir them well and then put in a jar.
- You keep this homemade cream in the refrigerator and then apply it whenever you need.
11. Lavender Oil And Aloe Vera
In fact, essential oils which contain anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties may soothe the sun damaged skin effectively. And if you want to find a good essential oil for healing this condition, lavender oil will be the best choice. Because lavender has the ability to regenerate your skin tissue and contains healing properties, it can assist you in relieving the discomforts due to your sun damaged skin condition very quickly.
- At first, you pour a few drops of lavender oil into a clean damp washcloth.
- Then you apply this washcloth directly to your affected skin area
- After a few minutes, you gently rub it around the damaged area for about 5 minutes. You allow it to cool down and then wash it off with water.
- In another way, you mix some drops of lavender oil well with aloe vera gel until they form a paste.
- Then you apply this paste to the sun damaged skin.
- Or you may add the lavender oil in a bowl of water to dilute it.
- Next, you soak a cloth in it and put this cloth directly on you sun damaged skin.
- Keep applying these ways with lavender oil daily until you get rid of this problem completely.
12. Helichrysum Oil, Lavender Oil, Aloe Vera, And Water
Helichrysum oil is also beneficial for sun damaged skin treatment. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties which make it become the useful oil for relieving your sun damaged skin.
You will need:
- Helichrysum oil – 1 drop
- Lavender oil – 2 to 4 drops
- Aloe vera gel – ½ teaspoon
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Dark spray bottle- 1
- Firstly, you mix the aloe vera gel, lavender oil, helichrysum oil, and water together
- You stir them well until they form a fine mixture
- Then you put this mixture in the dark spray bottle.
- Finally, you shake the bottle and spray this directly on your sun damaged skin
- Keep using this homemade spray several times per day
You can use milk as a simple and natural sun damaged skin treatment. The pH level, protein, and fat content in milk have anti-inflammatory and soothing effects on your skin that can give you a comfort from various symptoms. In order to apply milk for healing sun-damaged skin, you can follow these steps below:
You will need:
- A cup of skim milk
- 4 cups of water
- Some ice cubes
- A clean cloth
- Now, you firstly combine the skim milk with the water and stir well.
- Then you add some ice cubes to the mixture.
- Next, you soak the clean cloth in this mixture and apply it directly to the sun damaged area
- You allow it to sit on there for about half an hour and then use a soft towel to gently pat dry your skin.
- You’d better repeat this way every 4 hours for a few days until the pain and irritation subside completely.
Marshmallow is considered as a natural and effective sun damaged skin treatment. Marshmallow root contains cooling, soothing, and slippery properties, which make it as a demulcent herb. Especially, the components in it such as mucilage, pectin, and sucrose make it have the ability to form a protective layer that can treat pain as well as inflammation.
You will need:
- A handful of marshmallow root or 2 teaspoons of dried marshmallow root
- 1 or 2 cups of water
- At first, you put the marshmallow root in the water and let it boil for about 10 minutes.
- Next, you strain the water and allow it to cool down.
- Now, you dip a gauze in this marshmallow water and apply it directly to your affected skin areas.
- Keep applying this way regularly to get an amazing result.
Lettuce can be used as a natural sun damaged skin treatment. In fact, lettuce contains anti-inflammatory and fine analgesic properties that can help you to quickly heal your damaged skin that is caused by the sun.
- At first, you take some lettuce leaves and clean them properly.
- Then you put these leaves in the water and boil them for about 15 minutes.
- Now, you strain the water and let this water cool down.
- Once this water cools down, you soak a washcloth or cotton ball in it.
- You apply this cloth or cotton ball directly to your affected skin area and then gently wipe your skin.
- Keep repeating this way for multiple times to get a relief from pain caused by this condition
16. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is rich in tannins and catechins, which will give your skin a soothing effect from the inflammation caused by the sun damaged skin.
You will need:
- Some teaspoons of dried witch hazel
- Clean cotton ball or cloth
- At first, you put the witch hazel into a bowl and then stir them well
- Now, you soak the cotton ball or cloth into it.
- You apply this cloth/cotton ball directly to your sun damaged skin.
- You should repeat this healing process several times per day.
17. Papaya, Oatmeal Powder, And Honey
Papaya combined with oatmeal and honey may do wonders for fast recovery of your sun damaged skin. Papaya contains many healing enzymes that may give it properties to heal sun damaged skin and also irritated skin. On the other hand, honey can trap moisture into your skin and thereby it is very necessary for your dry sunburned skin. Besides, an enzyme of honey can help you to repair your damaged skin effectively.
You will need:
- Chopped papaya – 1 cup
- Oatmeal powder – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- First of all, you put mash the papaya to make a paste.
- Then you mix the oatmeal powder with the mashed papaya and honey together and stir well until they form a smooth paste.
- Afterward, you apply this paste directly to your affected skin area.
- You allow it to sit for about 30 minutes
- Finally, you rinse off with clean water.
Using potato is also an effective sun damaged skin treatment because potato has a soothing property. In addition, the starchy components in it can give you a relief from the stinging sensation due to the sun damaged skin.
- At first, you cut 2 potatoes into many small pieces
- Then you grind them until they form a fine paste. You may add a little water if you want.
- After that, you apply the potato paste directly on your affected area.
- You allow it to dry and wash off with water.
- You should repeat this process 4 to 5 times per day.
- Or you can simply cut a potato into slices and then you rub these slices gently on the sun damaged skin.
19. Coconut Oil With Aloe Vera Or Lavender Oil
In fact, coconut oil is a natural sun damaged skin treatment. This oil contains the fatty acid and lauric acid, which are beneficial ingredients to help you in promoting the healing of sun damaged skin. Besides, these acids are also included in various cosmetic products to prevent swelling, itching, redness, and other types of skin irritation.
- You simply put some drops of plain coconut oil in your palms.
- Then you use your hands to massage gently your sun affected skin area.
- It will help you to dispose of the burning and stinging sensations within minutes.
- And within several hours, coconut oil can reduce the redness and swell caused by your sun damaged skin.
- In addition, you may add some other ingredients such as lavender oil or aloe vera gel to the coconut oil to get better results.
- This oil can be absorbed into your skin. Hence, you don’t worry about washing or removing it.
20. Apple Cider Vinegar And Coconut Oil
When the apple cider vinegar is applied directly to your sun-damaged skin, it may work as an astringent. This astringent is beneficial for constricting or shrinking the body tissues. Hence, it will help you to reduce inflammation that is caused by this problem.
- Firstly, you soak a clean washcloth in the apple cider vinegar.
- Then you apply this wet washcloth to your sun damaged skin.
- You allow it to be on there for several minutes.
- After your skin becomes dry, you take some drops of coconut oil to moisturize it.
- Or you can add a cup of apple cider vinegar to the tub filled with the bath water.
- Then you take a bath or soak yourself in this water.
Note: Do not apply this vinegar on your skin if you have a cut or wound on it.
Citrus fruits, particularly orange, are high in vitamin C. However, in fact, the vitamin C level in kiwi fruit is much higher than orange. A kiwi contains about 127 mg of vitamin C compared with 80 mg in an orange at the same weight. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidation that has many protective effects for treating the damaged skin caused due to the UV radiation. Besides, it can improve the resilience of your natural fiber cells to help you in healing the infected skin. Kiwi is a perfect choice to dessert that may be used to cool the body in summer.
Almond can provide people with plenty of the anti-oxidation and vitamin E, which can assist you in recovering the skin after it is attacked by the sun. Consuming just 30 grams of almonds is meant that you provide 45 percentages of vitamin E demand which your body needs per day. Besides, almonds are also high in healthy fats and fiber. Therefore, it will be an ideal snack for outside picnics in summer.
Cocoa contains flavonoids which may help you to prevent skin cancer and protect skin from the sun damage because they can absorb the ultraviolet rays. However, although it is good for your skin, you should not consume it too much as they also provide your body with plenty of sugar, which leads to unintentional weight gain as well as does not good for your teeth. Cocoa is considered as one of the best and natural sun damaged skin treatment tips you should try.
Pomegranate has a high level of antioxidants that gives you many anti-inflammatory effects and thereby making it become one of those foods which are very beneficial for your skin in summer. It is discovered by scientists of University of Wisconsin, United States that the nutrients content in pomegranate may help people to restrict the ability to damage your skin by the UV and UVB rays, which can promote the damage of skin cells and thereby leading to skin cancer.
Generally, the combination of vitamin C and anti-oxidation in raspberries can help you to prevent the damaged skin as well as skin cancer. Raspberries have high levels of fiber (8 grams of fiber content in 120 grams raspberries) and taste quite delicious. It is also easily to be processed to many attractive snacks.
You surely know that salmon contains plenty of omega-3 fatty acids. However, not many people realize the effects of anti-inflammatory in these fatty acids. In fact, thanks to the anti-inflammatory effects, omega-3 can help you to decrease the sensitivity of your skin to the sun. The damaged skin caused by the sun is likely to cause the infection. Hence, diets high in salmon may not only prevent the sun from damaging your skin but also protect your skin from the attack of free radicals.
- Applying vitamin E directly on the skin can help you to nourish it and also fade the pigmentation issues. To apply it, you simply need to take the oil from a vitamin E capsule. Then you rub this oil into your sun damaged skin. You should apply this process 2 times per day.
- Besides, eating more foods that are rich in vitamin A such as eggs, brightly colored vegetables, and fish also helps you to get rid of sun damaged skin. As you know, vitamin A is a natural antioxidant nutrient that promotes your skin healing and also slows the aging and accumulated damage caused by the sun and environmental toxins. In another way, you can also apply a vitamin A supplement, but just after you consult your family doctor.
- Wear sunscreen daily regardless of the skin color or whether it is sunny or rains. You should put enough sunscreen on your skin. You should ensure your sunscreen has broad-spectrum UVA as well as UVB protection to prevent the sun damage. Wearing sunscreen regularly can help you to keep this condition at bay and to fade the previous sun damage.
If you want to know more about natural and effective tips for other skin problems and conditions, go to our main Skin Care page. After reading the article of top 29 natural sun damaged skin treatment tips, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to heal your skin that is damaged by the sun fast and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get some advice before applying any treatment. If you have any question, or you know other tips of natural sun damaged skin treatment, please leave it below.