Abortion is a single way to end an unwanted pregnancy by eliminating an embryo or fetus before it may survive outside the uterus. For some women, however, an abortion occurs spontaneously, which is also called a miscarriage. Whatever reasons are, women should need to know how to take care of themselves after abortion properly and carefully. Today, Effectiveremedies.com will introduce to you some useful tips on how to take care after abortion at home. Don’t skip this article if you want to take care of yourself for good or you are trying to care for your woman after an abortion or a miscarriage.
Top 10 At Home Tips On How To Take Care After Abortion
1. Bleeding After Abortion
Many women suffer from bleeding after their abortion. During this period, you can have days with light or heavy bleeding. Although it is completely normal to remove blood clots out of the body, passing large blood clots for more than 2 hours isn’t normal.
So what is consistent heavy bleeding? If you have to use 2 maxi pads or more in 1 hour or bleeding heavily within 12 or more hours, you may experience it. If the passed blood is bright red in color after the first-day abortion, accompanied by a stabbing, persistent pain, maybe it is a sign of complications. For this, you should go to see doctors to get their help and advice.
2. How To Take Care After Abortion – Sex After Abortion
You should avoid having sex for 2 weeks after abortion to reduce the risk of an infection. In case, you have had sexual intercourse, and used a method of contraception and aren't at risk of a new pregnancy, you should not have further sex within 2 weeks after the abortion. This is good for your health because it reduces the risk of an infection and helps you to recover after your treatment quickly. If you didn't use any method of contraception, you are at a high chance of a new pregnancy.
3. How To Take Care After Abortion – Follow-Up Exam
You should have a follow-up exam 3-4 weeks after the abortion to make sure that you are completely recovered .
- A clinician will perform this exam.
- The exam may be free when you return within 1 month. However, there are fees for prescribed lab tests, medications, and birth control supplies.
- There will be fees for a follow-up test after 30 days or when you want a private physician.
- In this time, you can discuss your birth control method that is suitable for you.
4. How To Take Care After Abortion – Washing After Abortion
Although there is no medical cause of not having a shower or bath after the abortion, the medication you have been taken can make you feel dizzy, faint, and weak. If possible, you should have a bath or shower with someone at home for the first time.
A shower will be preferable to a bath. You should avoid having a bath if you are bleeding heavily. Never use liquid disinfectant or antiseptic and heavily scented products to wash your vagina & genital area. It is recommended to use unscented products because they can reduce the risk of an infection & irritation.
Avoid doing vaginal douching. Douching is cleaning or washing the inside of your vagina with water or some other fluids.
5. How To Take Care After Abortion – Rest & Recovery
You can easily manage most of the normal adverse effects by resting, although most women often take it easy for 1 or 2 days after their abortion until they can return to normal activities. Let follow the guide below for a better health.
- Avoid exercise strenuously in the first week.
- Increasing daily activities (for example, returning to work) can cause more bleeding and cramping.
- Avoid stimulation of your nipples to lower breast discharge.
- Breast tenderness & swelling can last for 2 weeks.
- Passing blood clots is normal, especially when you get out of your bed.
Most symptoms of pregnancy begin to disappear within 1 day after the abortion while nausea is often gone way by the third day.
6. How To Take Care After Abortion – Contraception After Abortion
Remember to use a method of birth control  immediately after the abortion. If you have been taken the contraceptive pills, start taking it the day after the procedure. You needn’t wait for your first cycle to start or your bleeding to stop because you can get pregnant again right away. If you want the contraceptive implant, you can use coil or contraceptive injection at the clinic immediately.
7. How To Take Care After Abortion – Exercise After Abortion
Avoid performing any exercise for 2 weeks. Swimming, horse riding, going to the gym, team sports, or heavy physical work may increase bleeding or make it worse. If you have a young baby, avoid carrying them more than necessary within the first few days, especially up and downstairs.
8. How To Take Care After Abortion – Sexually Transmitted Infections
In case, you think that you have sexually transmitted infections, you should see a health professional as soon as possible because untreated infections may result in infertility and be transmitted to your sexual partner. You should have swabs taken and take antibiotics.
9. How To Take Care After Abortion – Deal With Emotions
Emotionally, most people report feeling relief after the abortion, but it's also completely normal to have negative or mixed feelings. The decision to abortion can be stressful or sad. It can be worse by the stigma against this procedure fueled by people who are opposed to the rights of abortion. The recommended resources offer support to those who have experienced an abortion and their partners, friends, and families.
Read more: Warning signs of cervical cancer
10. How To Take Care After Abortion – Breast Tenderness
After your abortion, your breasts can remain tender for up to 2 weeks. Also, milk possibly comes into your breasts. In fact, it is more likely to happen if you were over 12 weeks in your pregnancy, measuring from the last menstrual cycle.
If this happens, you can follow the tips:
- Put cabbage leaves on the breasts and then cover with your supportive bra. Change cabbage leaves every 2 hours until the breast tenderness is reduced.
- You should wear a fitting bra (even when you sleep).
- Avoid stimulating your breasts.
- Never express or squeeze the milky fluid.
- You can take tylenol or ibuprofen to reduce discomforts.
- Apply ice compresses to your breasts for 10 minutes every 2 hours to get relief from the tenderness.
Additional Tips For Caring After Abortion
After your abortion, your doctor will provide you with detailed guides. Sometimes this is not enough to relieve unpleasant side effects. To increase your comfort and ease side effects after an abortion, you may:
- Use heating pads to ease cramps.
- Always stay hydrated, especially if you are experiencing diarrhea or vomiting.
- Have enough essential support because some women suffer from emotional changes due to the drastic hormonal shift.
- If possible, have a rest for 1 or 2 days to recover from the discomfort.
- Take medication to lessen pain and cramps.
- Massage your abdomen gently at the site of cramps.
- Wear a fitting bra to reduce breast tenderness.
Normal Side Effects
- Discharge can be non-bloody and have brown or black in color. If the discharge is accompanied by pain, itch, a bad odor, you should see a doctor.
- You may have cramps for several days after an abortion. For this, you may take medication, which is often used for treating period cramps. Avoid taking aspirin because it increases bleeding. Using a heating pad or hot water bottle also helps to reduce cramps. Cramps are not a sign of an issue. Sometimes cramps mean that there’re blood clots in the uterus. You can relieve cramping by the ways below:
- Massage your abdomen. You push down from below the belly button towards the pubic hair. Lie down or sit down on the toilet. This helps you pass blood clots causing your cramps.
- Lie down on one side that hurts and then pull the knee up towards the chest, or put the leg on your chair and then lean into the pain. If you relieve this, the pain may be due to muscle strain.
- If you have cramping or feel hot, take your temperature.When the temperature is more than 100.4 degrees, go to see a doctor. Fever may be a sign of an infection. Most infections may be treated with taking medication and you don’t go to hospital.
Abnormal Side Effects
In case, you experience any of the symptoms below, you could be suffering from an emergency. Please call a doctor for help.
- Prolonged heavy bleeding
- Severe pain/cramps
- Body Temperature
- Other symptoms, such as fainting, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, vaginal discharge, depression, and still feeling pregnant.
After reading the article of top 10 useful tips on how to take care after abortion at home, hope that it can help you find out some tips to care for yourself or take care of your partner. For more about natural ways to treat other diseases and skin conditions, visit our main How To page.