Heavy menstrual bleeding or menorrhagia is characterized by abnormally heavy and prolonged periods. This is one of the common forms of the menstrual irregularity in women. However, women should not be reckless when it occurs, because this may be a sign of some diseases that you are facing and can have the bad effects on the reproductive health later. The most common symptoms of this phenomenon are over 7 days of the menstrual cycle with continuous cramping in the lower abdomen area, nausea, headache, making you changing the pads or tampons after every 2 or 3 hours, and having large blood clots of menstrual outflows.
There are some reasons for the heavy menstruation such as hormone imbalance, dysfunction of the ovaries, uterine fibroids, polyps, adenomyosis, or intrauterine device, pregnancy complications or even inherited bleeding disorders and cancer. The phenomenon can lead to the blood and iron deficiency, the increase in the sex hormone, and the gynecological infection. But don’t worry; the state can be treated at home with many simple ways. Today, Effective Remedies will introduce some effective and natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding that you can easily apply at home to get rid of this issue fast.
26 Reliable Natural Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
1. Cold Compress
A cold compress is the fastest and easiest way for you to apply right after you see the symptoms of the heavy menstrual bleeding. The cold is able to help to constrict blood vessels, which leads to the considerable decline in the amount of the blood flowing to the lower abdomen and the pain as well.
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them up in a towel
- Lie down, place on the abdomen area and then relax
- If the phenomenon still persists, you should apply such way after 4-5 hours. It surely makes you feel better.
2. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Apple Cider Vinegar
Another top effective remedy for stopping this abnormal menstruation at home is using apple cider vinegar. The wonderful functions of it, in this case, are helping to control the glucose level in the blood and detoxify your body, which gives you a hand to balance hormone levels, and regulating menstrual flow naturally .
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water
- Drink it once per day before the daily meal and 3 times a day during the menstrual cycle.
- Not only does this solution have the efficiency in regulation menstruation cycle, but it also brings you with a lot of the great results such as losing weight, treating constipation, etc.
3. Red Raspberry
Red raspberry is the kind of the fruit that is very beneficial for our body in general, and it is also awesome for women to maintain the good health and spirit during menstruation cycle, in particular as knowing to make use of its leaves . Thanks to tannins inside them, the leave can enable to strengthen the uterine muscle, and significantly reduce the pain in the lower abdomen.
- Pick red raspberry’s leaves up, expose them to the sun until they are completely dried
- Put the dried leaves into a teapot with hot water and steep for 10- 15 minutes
- Strain and drink this water for 3 times per day
- You should start drinking it one week before your coming menstruation and keep doing throughout your cycle
4. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Cinnamon
It is really amazing as cinnamon has the marvelous ability to stop heavy bleeding in the menstrual cycle when this abnormal state arises from the endometriosis, adenomyosis or uterine fibroids. The most outstanding benefit of cinnamon is exactly the antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that can effectively relieve the cramps during the menstrual cycle . Besides, it helps to prevent the blood flow from flowing back into the ovary, which contributes to stopping heavy menstrual bleeding faster. That is why cinnamon is included in the most home effective remedies to deal with menstrual problems.
- Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder with hot water, and then simmer for 2 minutes
- Add some honey and drink it twice per day to get the best result
- Your pain can doubtless reduce with this great solution.
5. Blackstrap Molasses
You already get the information that the deficiency of iron is one of the causes leading to heavy menstrual bleeding, so the supplement of the iron-rich ingredients is essential. Blackstrap molasses is such thing. This has experienced its fantastic usefulness in creating red blood cells in the body, controlling the outflow as well as declining the clots of the blood during women’s menstruation cycle. Moreover, it significantly helps to reduce the spasm of the uterine walls to soothe the pain. Therefore, using blackstrap molasses as a home remedy to relieve the worry about menstruation is a great encouragement.
- Add 1-2 teaspoon of blackstrap molasses into a glass of warm milk or water
- Drink it once every day
- Add a half of a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses into a cup of lemongrass tea
- Drink this tea twice per day, once in the morning and once at night before going to bed.
- If you follow this method regularly, you will find it gradually helpful in the next menstruation cycles.
6. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Cayenne
An alternative method that you should not ignore is applying cayenne pepper. Surely, cayenne pepper can surprise some people for its amazing functions not only for cooking but also for the health. Since these peppers are truly beneficial for improving blood circulation, balancing the hormone level in the body and removing the symptoms of the excessive bleeding in the menstruation periods .
- Add ½ of a teaspoon of cayenne powder in a glass of some hot water mixed with honey.
- Drink it 2-3 times per day during women’s cycle
It may be hard to drink for somebody, but give it a try, you will feel comfy with the great results it brings back to you.
Ginger, a very familiar ingredient in your house is always used for taking care of the health. Ginger has gained a lot of women’s trust in treating the menstrual disorder, reducing the abdomen’s pain, or stop the menstrual flow effectively .
- Prepare some fresh ginger, wash up, pound and boil with water
- Add some honey and sugar to make better taste
- Drink it 3 times per day after meals
- Crush or grind some ginger
- Place the ground ginger on the lower abdomen
- Your abdomen will feel hotter than usual, and the pain will be quickly gone.
- Crush or grind fresh ginger and then filter the residue to get water
- Add some warm water and sugar
- Drinking fresh ginger juice helps to balance the body temperature, stabilize blood circulation, reduces uterine contractions, and reduces pain’s abdomen.
8. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Comfrey
Comfrey is also a great herb you should concern about since its leaves have the ingredients that can control the excessive bleeding phenomenon in women’s menstruation. Comfrey consists of the astringent and styptic properties. Whereby, it can assist to constrict blood vessels and limit heavy bleeding .
- Take 2 teaspoons of ground comfrey leaves into a teapot
- Add some hot water and then steep for half of an hour
- Drink this mixture every day during heavy bleeding period
Additionally, this drinking also gives you plenty of the nutrition, help to purify the blood and increase the anti-inflammatory ability. Therefore, you should make use of this herb to get a better health.
9. Coriander Seeds
One of other natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding you can easily to follow at home is using coriander seeds or even its leaves. Coriander seeds have the ability to create hormone, balance hormone level in the body and reduce pain from the menstruation.
Remedy 1: Using coriander seeds
- Prepare 6 grams of coriander seeds in a pot and boil it in a liter of water
- Turn off the fire when a half of water left
- Add some sugar for better taste and then drink it for 3 times per day
- Keep doing this during 5-7 days to stop the bleeding phenomenon. It should be noticed that drinking as it is still warm is better.
Remedy 2: Using coriander leaves
- Prepare a handful of the fresh coriander leaves, wash, and pound them
- Pour 75 ml of water, mix well and filter residue
- Drink it twice per day to get the best result
10. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Mustard Seeds
Using mustard seeds is another useful ingredient you should not skip if you are suffering from the abnormal menstruation cycle like the heavy bleeding. These seeds are truly effective in normalizing monthly cycle and stopping the excessive outflow of the menstrual blood.
- Mix 2 gram of dried mustard seeds powder with milk
- Drink it two times per day during the cycle
11. Chaste Tree
A chaste tree known as Vitex- agnus castus is normally used for the menstrual problems such as menstrual irregularity or heavy bleeding. Thus, it has been considered wonderful herb to help women for so many years. The most noticeable characteristic of this beautiful tree is the ability to balance hormone level in the body. It enables to reduce excess estrogen amount that if being at a higher level, will make to prolong the monthly cycle, and produce more progesterone . Therefore, the abnormality of the female cycle, the uterine bleeding and fertility will be significantly improved if you apply the following method.
- Use 2.5 ml of the liquid herb daily
- Or 500 mg of the dried herb per time, use it once or twice a day
Get more: Warning signs of cervical cancer
12. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Banana Flowers
It is clear that banana is extremely good for our health, but more surprisingly, banana flowers can considerably assist female to have a better health, especially during dreadful menstruation period. Banana flowers are rich of progesterone which basically contributes to the hormone balance and the decrease in bleeding as well as general menstruation disorder.
- Cut a banana flower, cook it, and then mix it with some curd
- Eat them regularly in the menstrual days.
Besides, banana flowers can be eaten with raw dishes, so you can easily add them into daily meals during the cycle.
13. Lady’s Mantle
Lady’s mantle, another beautiful tree has shown its wonderful effect in treating female’s menstrual issues. In fact, for years ago, Americans found this herb’s functions and considered it as “women’s healing herb”, exactly like its name. Lady’s mantle is very rich in tannin that effectively limits excessive menstrual outflow, and it can reduce the abdomen’s spasm and pain thanks to salicylic acid and sedative properties inside.
- Daily use 30 drops of Lady’s mantle extracts 3 weeks before the cycle comes.
- If you apply this regularly for several months, it can stop the heavy menstrual bleeding completely.
14. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Shepherd’s Purse
One more fantastic herb to deal with the women’s problems is Shepherd’s purse, a tree originated from Southern Europe that nowadays is used popularly for treating heavy menstrual outflow caused by fibroids or endometriosis. This herb owns the properties that help to shorten the number of days of the monthly cycle, stabilize hormone and reduce menstrual bleeding.
- Take the leaves, wash, and boil in a cup of water (240 ml)
- Simmer until a half amount of water left
- Drink it regularly for one week before the coming cycle.
- Whereby, you can see the number of menstrual days will be less. Keep doing that if the abnormal phenomenon is back.
15. Dried Apricots And Iron- Rich Foods
You already know that one of the reasons leading to heavy menstrual bleeding is the deficiency of iron. Thus, the addition of iron into your body is the most natural method for menstrual bleeding and this can bring the most permanent efficiency. The iron-rich foods you should have on the daily menu are dark green vegetables, pumpkin seeds, egg yolks, red meat, legumes, prunes, liver, etc. especially, dried apricots that contain a plentiful source of iron. Although following this way may not bring expected results immediately, it can improve your health as well as remove the bad menstruation gradually but thoroughly.
16. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Hawthorn Flowers
An alternative natural ingredient you should know to have a more comfy menstruation cycle is hawthorn flowers, a kind of flower long used in Germany and Europe for treating diarrhea and heavy menstrual bleeding . These flowers have astringent properties and contain tannin, which helps a lot tighten blood vessels as well as limit blood outflow. Besides, it can also discharge blood clots and soothe abdomen’s pain.
- Prepare 30 grams of hawthorn flowers and mix with 15 grams of saffron
- Add some water and boil the mixture for 5- 10 minutes
- Drink the infusion when it is still warm to get the best result
17. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Mango Bark
Mango bark, a natural ingredient that you may never think it has usefulness, can be a home effective remedy for your problems associated with the menstruation, especially excessive bleeding phenomenon. Thus, you can make use of mango bark and apply the following method.
- Prepare some fresh mangoes and squeeze them for mango juice
- Mix 10 ml of mango bark juice with 130 ml of water
- Drink a teaspoon of this mixture for every hour to stop heavy bleeding
18. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Bamboo Leaves
Bamboo trees are widely planted in the Orient, so bamboo has been researched and used in many recipes to supplement minerals, benzoic acid and treat digestion and respiration disorder or heavy flow in menstrual period. To stop prolonging and excessively bleeding, you can apply:
- Prepare clean bamboo leaves and then boil them
- Drink it twice per day to get good effects
19. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Holy Basil
Holy basil is very familiar and generally considered as one of natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. This tree is beneficial for balancing hormone level in the body and can temporarily stop clotting and unnecessary bleeding thanks to antispasmodic oils inside.
- Mix a tablespoon of basil leaves with a glass of water and then boil them
- Steep for some minutes and cover tightly
- Drink this infusion throughout the total cycle to get a desirable result
20. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Magnesium-Rich Food
Deficiency of magnesium is basically one reason for heavy outflow in the menstrual cycle. Therefore, the supplement of magnesium for the body is necessary. Magnesium is able to balance female hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, which leads to the limitation of excessive bleeding in part and menstrual normalization. The magnesium-rich foods you should eat are good- quality dark chocolate, pumpkin, watermelon, avocado, sunflower seeds, oats, squash.
21. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Beets
During menstrual days, supplementing water-rich foods is vital, so beet is included in the natural home remedies for treating the menstrual disorder or excessive bleeding. Beet both is rich of water and provides with vitamin E, C, estrogen, and minerals, calcium that help to reduce abdomen’s pain throughout women’s monthly cycle.
- Prepare fresh beets, squeeze them for beet juice, and add some buttermilk
- Drink the juice daily to normalize menstruation and improve skin
22. Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Aloe Vera
Not only does aloe vera have wonderful functions in beautifying thanks to the rich of beneficial minerals, but it also helps to treat menstruation disorder in women that few people know. Let’s apply the following method to have a great home remedy for heavy bleeding periods.
- Prepare fresh aloe vera, clean up, and take its gel
- Soak them in salt water for 15- 20 minutes and then wash again
- Grind them with a grinder
- Boil 1 liter of water with the ground aloe vera until boiling, add some sugar then turn off the stove.
You simply got a very beneficial infusion that has usefulness for the menstruation disorder.
These above natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding can bring you with the good results for dealing with the problems relevant to menstruation such as the menstruation disorder and prolongation bleeding, hormone issues and lower abdomen pain if you apply them correctly and regularly. To get the best results, you also need to maintain moderate, exercise regularly, drink a lot of water, and eat more vegetable. In case the problems cannot be removed with the remedies, you should come consult doctors to get more special treatments. If you want to learn the natural treatments for other health issues, visit our Home Remedies page. Feel free to leave your comments about this article!