Gas happens to everyone who eats. It is a part of the digestion process, which is passed 20 times per day by an average adult. If you’re alive and eat every day, gas is unavoidable. Although it is something very normal, gas is not a comfortable condition, especially when you are in a crowded place or in an important meeting. The strike of gas and gas pain is, therefore, one of the reasons that can create embarrassment for some sufferers. One more worrying problem about gas is that it can cause severe pain and discomfort when it builds up in our intestines. In that case, special treatment options, especially home remedies for gas pain, may help to eliminate the symptoms. With the power of natural ingredients such as plants or herbs, these home remedies have been proven to effectively ease the gas pain and related discomfort. In this article, Effective Remedies will show you different ways to treat gas pain at home so that it will not be a big problem for your health anymore.
11 Best Natural Home Remedies For Gas Pain Relief Revealed
I. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Causes Of Gas Pain
Gas pain, flatus, and bloating can result from many causes, most of which also lead to constipation and diarrhea. Other causes include:
- Smoking cigarettes
- Air swallowing while eating or drinking
- Gum chewing
- high sulfur or FODMAP foods
So, how can you know your gas is abnormal and when to visit the doctors? It is suggested that you should make an appointment with doctors if your symptoms:
- Change suddenly
- Are followed by diarrhea, constipation, blood or mucous in the stool, or weight loss
- Cause you distress
Only your doctor can identify the underlying cause of gas pain and give you advice on the solution. Normally, the gas pain is caused by what we eat. After most of the food is digested in our small intestine, the remainder will be fermented in our colon by bacteria and yeast, as a part of the digestion process. Hydrogen and methane will be produced in this process, and are expelled as flatus. As gas pain is a direct result of eating and digesting, many people believe that changing dietary habits can ease symptoms. Food that causes gas may be different from person to person. Therefore, you will need to determine which items may be giving you gas pain through process of elimination. Some common culprits that have been classified include:
- High-fiber food
- Prune juice
- High-fat food
- Carbonated beverages
- Beans and lentils
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and broccoli
- Foods containing lactose – for example, cheese, milk, and other dairy products
- Garlic and onions
- Spicy or fried food
- Over-the-counter supplements, bars, and fiber drinks – especially those containing inulin and chicory root
- Artificial ingredients contained in sugar-free, or low-carbohydrate products, for example, sugar alcohol, maltitol, and sorbitol.
Once you find out what foods are the cause, you can adjust your daily diet to reduce gas pain. However, dietary changes may not work effectively all the time. In that case, you can rely on these following home remedies for gas pain to ease the discomfort.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
II. Home Remedies For Gas Pain
1. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Peppermint
Peppermint and supplements containing peppermint are proven to ease irritable bowel syndrome’s symptoms, including gas pain. Menthol contained in peppermint oil is the key constituent for speeding up the digestive flow and activating bile. This constituent can naturally soothe irritated stomach muscles and reduce bloating, colic and gas. However, you should ask your doctor before using this plant as it can interfere with iron absorption and some certain medications. Heartburn can also happen as one of the side effects. One cup of peppermint tea before each meal will be enough to reduce the gas pain. To make the tea from peppermint leaves, let:
- Steep a few fresh peppermint leaves for a few minutes in boiling water
- Strain to get the peppermint tea and drink it at least 2 or 3 times per day
Alternatively, chewing some peppermint leaves can also relieve gas pain. You can also add peppermint oil (2 drops) to half a cup of water and drink the solution 1 or 2 times per day.
2. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is commonly used not only for health and beauty purposes but also for treating gas pain. Containing a rich source of anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and carminative properties, chamomile tea is very effective in reducing bloating, indigestion, and trapped gas. If peppermint tea does not work on your condition, you can try chamomile as an alternative. One cup of chamomile tea before having meals and at bedtime will help to ease the gas pain for some people. Lets see how you can use chamomile leaves for your condition:
- Prepare a glass of boiled water, one bag of chamomile tea, and lemon juice or honey (optional)
- Put the tea bag in boiling water, cover the mug, and steep for about 10 to15 minutes
- Squeeze the chamomile tea bag in order to get the last benefit
- Add a bit of honey or lemon juice to the tea (do not add milk as it may trigger gas)
- Drink the tea several times a day
3. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Apple Cider Vinegar
Organic apple cider vinegar contains enzymes and acetic acid, which can support digestion process. By using apple cider vinegar, the excess gas will be reduced and your pain will be more comfortable. In fact, this vinegar can soothe the stomach and offer quick relief. To apply it, you can dilute one tablespoon of this remedy in water or tea and drink this solution before meals about 3 times daily until the gas pain disappears. Moreover, apple cider vinegar can be used for expectant and breastfeeding mothers without side effects. To use apple cider vinegar for your gas pain at home, lets follow these steps:
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar and add to a cup of warm water.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature before drinking it.
- Apply this method twice daily.
It is best to always buy organic apple cider vinegar, as it contains the mother (or original probiotics found within apple cider vinegar).
4. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Asafetida (Hing)
Asafetida, or also called as Hing in Hindu, is another home remedy that performs as an anti-flatulent to prevent the development of the gut bacteria, which take the responsibility for producing excess gas in our stomach. Asafetida contains antiflatulent and antispasmodic properties, which are very effective in alleviating those digestive problems such as indigestion and intestinal gas. This remedy is often used in India to treat bloating and gas pain in baby and children. Lets see how to use asafetida for gas pain at home with these following steps:
- Mix a pinch of asafetida with warm water in a glass and mix it well
- Drink the mixture 2 or 3 times per day
- Alternatively, prepare a ripe banana and put a little asafetida into it and eat two bananas in this way a day this twice
In another way, you can use asafetida to make a paste by mixing it together with a little water. Then, apply the paste to your stomach and let it dry for several minutes. After some applications, your gas pain may disappear.
5. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Ginger
The next home remedy that can effectively deal with gas pain is ginger. As it is a natural carminative, an agent that eases flatulence and soothes the digestive tract. Drinking ginger tea is believed to offer instant gas relief. Ginger is also used for many other problems that are related to digestion, like constipation and inflammation. Moreover, ginger can thin blood and boost circulation, which is very useful in relieving bloating. If you are suffering from gas pain, this herb can expel gas and calm intestinal activity. There are various ways for you to apply ginger for gas pain condition:
- Prepare a teaspoon of the ginger powder or freshly julienned ginger, 1 pinch of black salt, and half a teaspoon of ajwain
- Mix them together and drink the mixture a few times a day
- Prepare ground ginger, fennel, and cardamom in an equal ratio
- Mix them together and then, add a pinch of asafetida and a tsp of ginger mixture to a glass of water
- Drink this mixture once or twice per day
- Chew some raw ginger slices after having meals or consume a mixture of ginger juice together with asafetida
Alternatively, you can add some small slices of dried ginger into your dishes. Massaging your stomach with a solution of ginger oil and base oil can also work well on your gas pain condition.
6. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Lime Juice With Baking Powder
Baking soda, or also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a surprisingly effective antacid that can expel abdominal gas. Its effect can be improved when baking soda is mixed with lemon juice. Lemon juice also accelerates the production of hydrochloric acid and may speed up the digestion process. Lets see how you can use baking soda and lemon juice at home for your gas pain:
- Squeeze half a lemon to get the juice and pour into a cup of warm water
- Add one teaspoon of baking soda
- Drink this mixture immediately for quick relief from gas pains in stomach
In case lemon is not available, you just need to mix one teaspoon of baking soda with 6 ounces of water and drink the mixture. However, the long use of baking soda is not recommended so you should only use it as a temporary solution, not a long-term one. People who are on a diet that restricts sodium intake should also use another home remedies for gas pain instead of baking soda.
7. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Anise Seeds
Anise seeds are one of the helpful home remedies for gas pain thanks to its anti-spasmodic properties. Having the antimicrobial and carminative effects, these seeds are able to expel gas and ease bloating that appears frequently together. The use of anise seeds for aiding indigestion originated from ancient Rome. Nowadays, it is proven that these seeds can be used for relaxing the digestive tract, which happens as a negative reaction to stress. Anise seeds are also used to deal with cramping.
Although it is recommended that the use of anise seeds require doctors’ direction, anise seeds provided in water can offer quick relief for gas pain condition.
8. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Cinnamon
It will be a mistake if cinnamon is absent from this list as it is one of the most effective home remedies for gas pain. Containing certain properties that are responsible for breaking up gas built up in the intestine, cinnamon is considered as one of the top carminatives. It is also claimed that cinnamon is able to ease indigestion by preventing the production of body chemicals that result in inflammation. To apply this remedy at home, you can try different ways as follow:
- Mix honey with cinnamon powder and enjoy this mixture before meals. The benefits of honey will support cinnamon in treating gas pain.
- Or, add ½ tsp of cinnamon powder to a cup of warm nut milk (add honey if you wish). Then, stir and drink it
- Alternatively, add cinnamon powder to a glass of boiled water. Steep for a few minutes before drinking it
9. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Yogurt
Yogurt is well-known for the rich source of probiotics, which play a vital role in enhancing the digestion process and easing the severity of gas stuck. Eating yogurt with no added sugar and no extraneous ingredients can provide a rich source of helpful bacteria. For that reason, yogurt is one of the effective home remedies for treating gas pain. A teaspoon of yogurt daily will be enough for you to boost the digestion and prevent gas pain in the first place.
Note: this option may not be best for those who are dairy intolerant.
10. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Caraway Seeds
Caraway seeds can be very effective in treating indigestion and heal gastric disorder. These seeds have traditionally been used for digestive problems, gingivitis, colic, and irritable bowel syndrome. Their power also works for an upset stomach with belching and gas. A lot of clinical research trials have proven that caraway seeds can also stimulate healthy stomach performance and prevent intestinal gas. To use caraway seeds for gas pain, you will need:
- Add one teaspoon of fresh caraway seeds to a glass of boiling water and steep for some minutes
- Strain the tea and drink it before having lunch or dinner
- Alternatively, chew a few roasted caraway seeds together with rock salt several times a day
11. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Fennel
Fennel is also an effective remedy for gas pain thanks to its rich volatile oil content, which is believed to be responsible for digestive benefits together with the ability to remove intestinal gas effectively. The compounds found in fennel seeds such as fenchone, anethole or estragole all have anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties to relax intestinal muscles and pass the trapped gas. Let's see how to use fennel seeds to improve the digestive health at home:
- Simmer a few fennel seeds in hot water for around 5 minutes
- Strain the solution to drink every day
Also, if the taste of fresh fennel leaves is relevant for you, chew some of them in order to ease the gas pain. Alternatively, you can mix fennel, and cardamom leaves, mint. Then, boil them together to make a mixture that can relieve stomach gas.
III. Home Remedies For Gas Pain – Preventing Gas
If the medical condition is not the cause of gas pain, you can make some adjustments in daily diet and habits to avoid gas pain. As prevention is better than treatment, if you can prevent gas pain from happening in the first place, you will not need to use home remedies for gas pain anymore.
- Do not chew gum
- Avoid drinking with straws
- Avoid drinking soda and other carbonated drinks
- Avoid smoking
- Sit down when having meals and eat slowly
- Eliminate foods that can cause gas
- Avoid taking in too much air while eating and talking
- Choose some exercise to add to your routine, for example walking after a meal
As gas is a natural part of the digestion process, gas pain can happen to anyone. Improper food choices or poor digestive habits are some of the many reasons that can lead to indigestion and uncomfortable gas pain. Although not life-threatening, gas pain can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. As it can disturb our life in a negative way, gas pain should receive sufficient attention and proper treatment. Although there are various products available in the market to treat digestive problems, home remedies for gas pain are still highly recommended for their effectiveness and safety for our health. In this article, 11 powerful and reliable remedies have been suggested for you to try at home. If you have tried some of them, let give us some recommends on their effectiveness on your condition. In case that you have any more ideas on the home remedies for gas pain, please share with us. For more information, please visit the main page Home Remedies.