In This Article
After swimming or taking a shower or bath, do you suffer from water getting into your ears? Does this cause the discomfort and a tickling sensation in your ear? If “yes”, take your time and have a look at the article on Effective Remedies to discover 17 best ways on how to get water out of your ear naturally at home.
In fact, water in the ear may be a common occurrence and happen to anyone. Generally, the wax in the ear canal can prevent water from going deep inside your ear. But sometimes, water can get trapped in your ear. It is often accompanied by pain and it can reduce your hearing ability. If left untreated, water in your ear may cause hearing loss, eardrum inflammation, cyst formation, and other complications. Therefore, it is important to get fluid out of your ear as soon as possible.
- Effective home remedies for ear infections in adults at home
- Unexpected effective home remedies for swimmer’s ear – 13 things to try
- Top 9 effective home remedies for tinnitus (ear’s ringing)
- 23 effective home remedies for earaches in adults
- 3 best ways on how to use castor oil for tinnitus treatment
17 Must-Know Ways On How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear Naturally At Home
To get rid of water in your ear, the first thing you need to do is to find out whether the water is trapped in your middle ear or outer ear. If fluid is accumulated in the middle ear, you must get the help of a doctor. For the fluid accumulation in your outer ear, you can treat it at home. Here are some simple but effective ways to try applying.
1. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – A Hot Compress
Heat therapy can be listed in the effective ways on how to get water out of your ear quickly. Sometimes water can be trapped in the Eustachian tubes (which connect the middle ear to the part behind the nasal passages). The heat compress helps to open the Eustachian tube to release the water easily.
- Remember to use hot but not very hot water and wet a washcloth. Dip the washcloth in water and remove the excess water before using it.
- Now, tilt the head down on your affected ear and apply the washcloth to the outside of the ear. Leave it on the ear for 30 seconds and then take it out for a minute.
- You should repeat these steps 4 or 5 times.
2. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Gravity
One of the best ways on how to get water out of your ear is gravity (title your head to one side). By this way, gravity helps to drain the fluid out of your ear easily because it finds the hole which it came in through. It is better for you to do gravity solution right after you finish swimming or taking a shower or bath.
- Firstly, tilt the head sideways and hold your ear parallel to the ground
- Now, place the palm of the hand against the ear and press it hard for several seconds
- After that, remove the hand fast. The water will be dislodged by a vacuum that has recently formed.
- Finally, remove the fluid draining from your ear by a clean cotton earbud slowly and carefully
Note: Avoid inserting the ear bud in your ear.
View more: How to use garlic for sinus infection
3. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Alcohol And Vinegar Eardrops
In fact, alcohol may help to evaporate the water in the ear effectively. In addition, it helps to dry up the fluid in your ear. Besides, the antibacterial properties present in the vinegar help to remove the growth of harmful bacteria, which may help to prevent an infection. If the trapped fluid occurs due to the buildup of earwax, the vinegar can help to remove it.
- At first, combine alcohol and vinegar at the ratio of 1:1 to make eardrops.
- Now, use a sterile dropper to apply 3 or 4 drops of the mixture into your ear.
- After that, rub gently the outside of the ear and then wait 30 seconds.
- Finally, tilt the head sideways to drain out the solution.
Note: Avoid using this method if you suffer from a perforated eardrum, an outer ear infection, and tympanostomy tubes (eardrum tubes).
4. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Use A Blow Dryer
If you are looking for the ways on how to get water out of your ear, you should not skip a blow dryer. The heat from the blow dryer can aid in evaporating the water in your ear canal. The warm & dry air then turns the fluid to steam and lastly help it drain out of your ear. Be careful to avoid burning your ear and the side of the face. In case, it causes pain or you feel too hot, stop doing this method immediately.
- Firstly, pull the earlobe away from the body.
- Then, hold a dryer about 10-12 inches away from the ear.
- Remember to set the blow dryer heat to warm & air flow to low.
- Next, turn the blow dryer on and then aim it directly into your ear canal.
- After that, hold the blow dryer in this position for about 30 seconds.
- If needed, repeat it again.
Now: Avoid doing this process for more than 3-4 minutes at one time.
5. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is considered as another effective way on how to get water out of your ear. Thanks to its effervescent effect, hydrogen peroxide may easily drain out the trapped water, along with earwax, debris, and bacteria from your ear canal .
- Firstly, use a clean dropper to add 3 to 4 drops of hydrogen peroxide to your ear.
- Now, wait for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After that, tilt your affected ear downward to drain the water out of the ear.
Note: Avoid using this method if you suffer from a perforated eardrum, an outer ear infection, and tympanostomy tubes (eardrum tubes).
6. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Salt
The list of the effective ways on how to get water out of your ear is incomplete without including salt. Salt may help to absorb water easily; thus, you may use this ingredient to drain water out of your ear. In addition, you can get relief from the pain caused due to this issue and make the water evaporate by the heat from this hot salt compress.
- At first, heat 1/4 cup of salt in a microwave.
- Next, put the salt in one cotton cloth and then tie it tightly.
- After that, hold this cloth against the opening of your affected ear for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat this method as needed.
If you want to discover more, stay with us and keep reading in the next part of this article.
7. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Olive Oil
As you may know, olive oil offers a lot of great advantages and one of these benefits is to facilitate the flow of water that trapped in your ear. In addition, olive oil may reduce the risk of ear infections thanks to its antiseptic properties.
According to a study published in the Health Technology Assessment (Winchester, England) in 2010, olive oil may be used to get rid of earwax buildup, which helps you to drain the fluid out of the clogged ear easily .
- Firstly, slightly boil a little olive oil and then put it in a small bowl
- Then, put some drops of the warm olive oil into your ear
- Now, wait for 10 minutes
- Finally, remove the olive oil and the water by a clean, soft earbud. Make sure to turn the head sideways before eliminating the oil
You may also put 1 to 3 drops of olive oil in your ears before going swimming so that it prevents water from being trapped in the ears.
- Firstly, mash 2 raw garlic cloves.
- Then, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Now, add them to a saucepan and heat it for a few seconds.
- After that, let it cool down.
- Now, use a dropper to add 2-3 drops of garlic oil to your affected ear and wait a few minutes.
- Finally, tilt the head to one side or lie down & see if the water runs out.
8. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Valsalva Maneuver
Performing the Valsalva maneuver can be effective in helping to pop your ear to open your Eustachian tubes. This, in turn, helps to push water out of the ears.
- Firstly, pinch the nostrils closed with the fingers and then close your mouth
- Now, take a deep breath
- You should control the air pressure by slowly blowing air out of the nose
- You will hear a popping sound if you have done it correctly. This means that your Eustachian tubes are completely open again.
Note: You should not blow the nose too hard because it can cause damage to your eardrum.
9. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Use Steam
Another tip on how to get water out of your ear may be steam. Like Valsalva maneuver, warm steam effectively helps to release water from the middle ear by opening the Eustachian tubes. You should try taking a hot bath or shower or having a mini sauna with one bowl filled with hot water.
- Firstly, take a large bowl to pour hot water into it
- Next, cover your head with a large towel
- Now, inhale the steam slowly for 5 to 10 minutes
- After that, tilt the head to one side, which helps the water get out of the ear
Another way to remove the fluid out of your ear is to take a hot shower. Sometimes steam from a shower can be good enough to loosen earwax and get water out of ear. A long shower can work wonders of getting the fluid out of the ear.
10. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Decongestants
Before visiting your doctor, using a non-prescription decongestant or medication may also unblock the ear passage and let water get out of the ear to reduce ear pain. In some cases, you can lie down on the affected side to let water actually come out of the ear after you have taken the non-prescription decongestant. For medications to reduce ear infections, remember to use one sterilized eyedropper to add a few drops of this medication to your ear canal. Make sure to follow the directions on the label for a safe treatment.
Avoid using a Q-Tip or any other instrument, particularly something sharp, to move deep in the ear to get the water out or break up the earwax buildup. You may seriously damage the ear and potentially damage the hearing ability.
11. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Chew Or Yawn
The way the jaw is moving when you chew will help to massage the ear canal. Therefore, if water gets into your ear, you can chew on anything, such as food, gum, yawn, or even make a swallowing or chewing motion to open your inner ear tubes by opening the Eustachian tubes. Tilt the affected ear down when you chew or yawn in order to encourage the water to drain out using gravity. You may also try pinching the nose when you make the yawning and chewing motions.
Depending on the reason for the fluid, earwax, pus, or blood buildup in your ear, you may need to do this process a lot before you notice results. Sometimes you won’t see any improvement without medication or other water removal tactics. In many cases, you will need to try a few different ways to drain fluid out of the ear, especially if it solidifies. Clogged ears may cause much discomfort and result in serious health problems, such as severe pain and hearing loss.
12. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Garlic
Another effective way on how to get water out of your ear is to use garlic. In addition, the antibacterial properties present in garlic can help to relieve pain and prevent ear infections .
- Firstly, press a few cloves of garlic to extract its juice.
- Then, put 2 or 3 drops of garlic juice to your affected ear.
- After that, wait for a minute and then blow the ear dry by hold a blow dryer far away from 12 inches of your head.
13. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Try More Water
At first, this technique can sound illogical, but it may actually help to draw water out of the ear. If you do not believe, maybe you can skip an effective and simple way.
- Firstly, lie on your side and use a clean dropper to fill your affected ear with water.
- Now, wait 5 seconds and turnover with your affected ear facing down. As a result, all of the water will drain out.
14. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Humidifier
Dry air may worsen upper respiratory infections and prevent your water or earwax from breaking up & draining. To get the water out of the ear when you suffer from an infection, use a humidifier in the bedroom to encourage steam production as well as reduce fluid buildup. You may also find the same effect when taking a hot shower, using a sauna session, or sitting in a steam room. Or, placing a hot water bottle near your ear can also help to draw fluid out of your ear canal.
In fact, humidifiers are great in winter since the air in the house may be extremely dry. There are many brands offering portable humidifiers, so it is easy to move these humidifiers to whatever area you are in to remove the fluid faster. In addition, humidifiers are good for people with allergies.
15. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – Wipe The Ear With A Cloth
In fact, it is an easy way on how to get water out of your ear naturally at home that you should try. Wiping the outer of the ears with a soft clean towel or washcloth will aid you in getting rid of water or fluid in your ear. However, you should ensure that you tilt the head down the washcloth to allow the water to easily drain out. Remember not to push the washcloth or towel deep inside the ears because it makes the fluid come back into the ear.
16. How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear – See A Doctor
The above tips on how to get water out of your ear are things you may try at home. Everyone may get sick during the life, including the discomfort caused due to an ear infection. At the very least, a plugged ear is completely uncomfortable, so trying a few home remedies may help to relieve your symptoms before you visit your doctor. And then, when you suspect ear infections, the best thing you need to do right away is to visit a doctor. A medical professional always has the right tools to remove water in your ear and prescribe proper antibiotics to treat an ear infection.
Above are 17 must-know ways on how to get water out of your ear naturally at home that you can follow easily. If you want to learn more the natural treatments for other health condition, please visit our How To page. Do not forget to leave your comments in the form below to show us your thoughts.