An earache commonly occurs in kids rather than in adults because of the low immune system along with the body structure of them. Earaches are caused mainly by wax inside the ears, ear infection, a blockage in the nasal passage as well as other physical damages inside the ears. Trapping of polluted water and enlargement of wisdom teeth, adenoid, cold are some main reasons which lead to earaches and this may cause loss of hearing. Rubbing along with tugging at the ears, fever, nausea, swelling, itching sensation, vomiting, etc are the earache symptoms. Apart from using medicines, you can solve this problem by using natural herbs, fresh vegetables and fruits, and other kitchen ingredients. This article in EffectiveRemedies.com page will show 23 home remedies for earaches in adults. You can apply any of them to help improve your condition but only after you are diagnosed exactly your condition by your doctor. Keep reading to explore more home remedies for earaches and find out the best which is right for you!
Top 21 Natural Home Remedies For Earaches In Adults
1. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Garlic And Sesame Oil
Garlic contains analgesic and antibiotics properties that may help you to decrease and heal earaches more effectively. Besides, this herb is also loaded with anti-oxidizing, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties, helping to get rid of the action of bacteria on your ears. Moreover, garlic also aids in reducing infection, pain, and swelling on there. Last but not least, garlic has the ability to combat pain and infection in your inner ears thanks to the help of an anti-microbial property named allicin. You should combine garlic with sesame oil as one of the home remedies for earaches.
- Grinded garlic – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil – 2 tablespoons
- Now, you mix two ingredients above together to make a mixture
- Next, you heat this mixture for a few minutes at the medium heat
- After that, you allow it to cool down and strain the oil
- Now, you pour 3 to 4 drops of this oil in your ear which is painful.
- Or you may take the garlic clove extract and put this garlic juice in your eyes.
- You should apply this remedy for twice per day to get rid of the pain as well as the ear infection.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
2. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Ginger And Sesame Oil
Ginger is known as a natural painkiller that can assist you in getting rid of the pain caused by earaches. It also works as anti – inflammatory to help you decrease the infection that is caused in your ears. In fact, if you do not notice your earache condition, it can cause a hearing loss. Hence, you have to take action as soon as you feel pain in your ears. Apart from the ability to treat earaches, you can use ginger as a natural treating agent for other health conditions such as asthma, anemia, liver problem, stress, severe migraines, blood pressure, and motion sickness. You should combine ginger and sesame oil as one of the home remedies for earaches.
Remedy 1: Ginger juice
- At first, you take some fresh ginger pieces and then crush them to extract the ginger juice.
- Now, you pour this ginger juice directly into your aching ear two times per day to get an instant relief from the pain.
Remedy 2: Ginger pieces and sesame oil
- 1-inch fresh ginger pieces – 4 pieces
- Warm sesame oil – 1/4 cup
- Firstly, you put the ginger pieces into the sesame oil and mix well
- Then you leave it like that for a few minutes until the sesame oil becomes cool
- Now, you apply this oil externally around your aching ear.
- You should repeat this remedy whenever you need.
Also known as Indian lilac, neem contains antifungal along with antibacterial properties which can help you in fighting infection. Moreover, it also contains many effects of analgesic and anti-inflammatory, which assist you in reducing earaches. Apart from the antibacterial property content, neem leaves are packed with anti fungal, diuretic, and anti-inflammatory properties, which make this herb become an effective home remedies for earaches or even an ear infection caused by numerous causes.
- First of all, you take some neem leaves and grind them to get the juice.
- Then you put some drops of this neem juice directly in your aching ear.
- Or you may soak a clean cloth or cotton ball into the neem oil.
- Then you wrap it to remove the excess oil.
- Next, you place this cloth/cotton ball externally to your painful ear.
- You let it sit on there for several minutes and remove it.
- You should apply neem regularly until you get rid of earaches completely.
4. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Onion
In fact, onion contains antibacterial along with antiseptic properties that are beneficial in healing earaches. Additionally, it possesses phosphoric acid which will aid in purifying your blood as well as fighting bacteria, germs, and infections. Both anti-bacterial properties and phosphoric acid of onions are capable of maintaining the health of your ears and keep infection at bay. Here are 2 home remedies for earaches with using onion that you can follow.
- At first, you grind a fresh onion into a fine paste
- Next, you put this onion paste in a cloth piece and wrap it tightly.
- Now, you put the cloth piece directly into you aching ear and wait for about 7 to 10 minutes
- You should apply this process several times every day to stimulate the healing process faster.
- You firstly take the grated onion and the crush it to get the onion juice.
- Then you heat the onion juice at the low heat for a few minutes till the juice becomes lukewarm.
- After that, you take it out of the heat and let it cool for a while
- Now, let put 3 or 4 drops of this onion juice into your infected ear in order to get a relief from earaches.
- Keep applying this process 2 or 3 times daily.
5. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Hot Water
Moisturizing heat externally your affected ear can help you to open up your Eustachian tubes and thereby treating earaches along with infection faster. Here are two home remedies for earaches with using hot water that you can try.
Remedy 1: Warm Compress
- At first, you take a clean cotton ball or towel and soak it in the hot or lukewarm water.
- Then you wrap the clean cloth/towel to squeeze the excess water
- Now, you put it directly into your infected ear and let keep it on there for several minutes till the clean cloth/towel becomes cold.
- Remember to repeat this process whenever you need.
Remedy 2: Hot Water Bottle
- You firstly take a bottle filled with hot water and use a towel to cover it.
- Next, you put it in your aching ear and then press it for a few minutes.
- Or you may use this towel that is wrapped like a pillow for your affected ear at night when you sleep.
- Remember to apply this remedy as you need.
6. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Alcohol And White Vinegar
Rubbing alcohol when combined with white vinegar will be one of the effective home remedies for earaches. Vinegar, in fact, is able to act as soothing and preventive eardrops for those having earaches while alcohol will assist in evaporating water from your ears as well as killing bacteria causing infection. You may not know but some regular and professional swimmers often use alcohol daily to keep ear infections at bay. Here are the detailed steps for you to follow.
- Firstly, you mix a little white vinegar well with enough rubbing alcohol at an equal ratio.
- Then you pour 2 to 3 drops of the mixture directly into your infected ear. This will help you to heal infection while decreasing the pain in your ear.
- You should apply this remedy several times per day to get the best result.
To discover more home remedies for earaches in adults, let stay with us for our next post!
7. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Bishop’s Weed, Milk, & Sesame Oil
In fact, bishop’s weed oil contains much pain killing properties that have the ability to cure earaches effectively. You may combine bishop's weed with milk or sesame oil to treat this problem better.
Remedy 1: Bishop’s weed and milk
- You firstly mix bishop’s weed seeds (1/2 teaspoon) with milk(1 cup) to make a mixture
- Then you boil this mixture till the seeds essence permeates the milk.
- Now, you strain this milk mixture and pour some milk drops into your infected ear to decrease the congestion as well as to relieve the pain.
Remedy 2: Bishop’s weed oil and sesame oil
- At first, you mix the bishop’s weed oil (1 teaspoon) with the sesame oil (3 teaspoons)
- You stir them well to make an oil mixture and then warm this mixture slightly.
- After that, you take it out of the heat and let it cool for while
- Now, you place 5 or 6 drops of this oil mixture in your aching ear.
- Keep doing this remedy regularly to help you relieve the pain causing in your ear.
Remedy 3: Bishop’s weed oil only
- You simply take 2 or 3 drops of bishop’s weed oil and then pour directly into your infected ear
- After a while, you will feel more comfortable from the pain.
- Remember to do this process whenever you feel pain in your ear.
8. Olive Oil
In fact, olive oil can work as a lubricant agent. It also assists you in reducing earaches along with the infection. In addition, olive oil can eradicate the buzzing sensation inside your ear. Moreover, olive oil will aid you in preventing the excessive earwax buildup, which prevents water flushing out of your ear canal and thus eventually causing infection. Plus, this carrier oil is loaded with antioxidants and fragile polyphenols, which is responsible for protecting your cells from being damaged and keeping inflammation under control.
- At first, you take some olive oil drops and then heat it for several minutes
- After the oil becomes warm, you take it out of the heat.
- Now, you simply put 3 to 5 drops of the warm olive oil like ear drops to your ear canal through a dropper.
- Or you may also get a cotton bud which is dipped in this warm oil. Then you put this cotton bud firmly into your ear.
- You should do this process again as you need.
- In case you have no olive oil, you may also use coconut oil or mustard oil instead.
9. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Mullein Flower Oil With Garlic
Mullein flower oil may assist you a lot in relieving earaches that are caused by the infection in your ear. It also owns powerful aromatic compounds having anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. These two properties are absorbed easily through the eardrum and the skin into tissues surrounding your inner ears. You should combine mullein flower oil with garlic as one of the home remedies for earaches.
Remedy 1: Mullein alone
- To do it, you simply take some drops of mullein oil and then put it into a bowl
- Next, you dip a cotton ball in this oil and put this cotton all directly in your infected ear
- You allow it to sit like that for a few minutes and take it off.
- Keep doing this process again whenever you have the ear pain to remove this condition.
Remedy 2: Mullein oil and garlic oil
- Now, you take the garlic oil and mullein oil at an equal ratio
- Then you mix them well to get an oil mixture
- After that, you take a dropper and pour the oil mixture in your affected ear to dispose of the pain
- You should repeat the same process whenever you feel pain in your eye.
10. Sweet Almond Oil
Sweet almond oil is another remedy in the list of top home remedies for earaches. Being a natural carrier oil, almond oil has the ability to provide the environment inside your ears with enough lubrication to remove thick earwax or even make hardened wax become softer. This, in turn, allows the almond oil to contact to the earache cavity and then ease pain promptly.
- To apply it effectively, you just need to warm a little almond oil.
- Then you put this warm oil inside your aching ear. You have to make sure that the oil goes inside your ear canals.
- Applying this oil regularly will help you get rid of this condition faster.
11. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Radish And Mustard Oil
Radish is known as a root vegetable which is beneficial in reducing the pain by removing the wax and thereby making you more comfortable. Additionally, it also decreases the inflammation along with other symptoms that may lead to earaches.
- At first, you cut 1 fresh radish finely into many small pieces
- Then you put these radish pieces into a small bowl which have the mustard oil
- Now, you warm this bowl for a few minutes and remove the heat
- You let it cool down to reach the room temperature
- Next, you strain the oil to a glass container and remove the radish pieces
- You put some drops of this oil into you aching and infected ear.
- Keep following this way regularly to help you heal earaches and ear infection.
12. Natural Home Remedies For Earaches – Peppermint And Olive Oil
Peppermint is a powerful herb which can help you to deal with earaches effectively at home.
It contains anti-inflammatory, mild anesthetic, and anti-bacterial properties that will assist you in healing the pain because of the infection inside your eyes. Besides, it also acts as a soothing agent.
Remedy 1: Peppermint oil and olive oil
When you apply olive oil on your ear, it will be beneficial in decreasing irritation in both the inner and outer ear to ease the pain. Plus, this carrier oil is also effective for opening up Eustachian tubes as well as reducing the infection. Besides, olive oil is able to soothe the outer ear walls and provides your ear with a protective layer to combat bacteria or other kinds of infection.
- You firstly mix 1 drop of peppermint oil well with 5 or 6 drops of olive oil
- Then you stir them well and put this oil mixture directly in your ear with the help of a dropper or ear syringe.
- This process can also help you a lot in healing the ear infection by easing the bacteria which causes this infection.
- You have to notice that there are some people who are sensitive to this oil. Hence, you should mix more olive oil in the peppermint oil if you are sensitive to it.
Remedy 2: Peppermint Leaves
- Now, you take some fresh peppermint leaves and grind them to get its juice
- Next, you put some drops of this peppermint juice directly into your infected ears with using a dropper.
- You should reapply this remedy several times per day to get rid of this disease more quickly.
Steam is one of the simple home remedies for earaches you should try. In fact, steam also helps you to open up your Eustachian tubes along with makes you feel more comfortable from the pain as well as reduces the inflammation.
- You simply take a washbasin filled with hot water and 1 towel
- Now, you use the towel to cover your head and put your face over the hot water
- You try to inhale the steam through your nose and mouth to clear up earaches
- Remember to repeat the same process at night before you go to bed or whenever you need.
Licorice herb has the ability to assist you in reducing the inflammation and thereby making you feel better by reducing earaches instantly. Here is one among home remedies for earaches using licorice as the main ingredient for you to follow:
- You simply take some licorice roots and then warm the min, the ghee or clarified butter in order to get a thick paste.
- Now, you apply this externally around the infected ear to get an instant relief from earaches.
- This is one of the effective home remedies for earaches that you should apply regularly to get the best results.
15. Basil Leaves
In fact, basil leaves contain antibiotic properties that will help you a lot in curing earaches and infection. The leaves of basil possess potent antiseptic and antibacterial properties. In addition, they are also loaded with beta-carotene, vitamin C, borneol, estragole, and eugenol, all of which are capable of dealing with the ear infection and other conditions related to earaches.
- At first, you take some fresh basil leaves and then crush them to get the basil juice.
- Then you pour 2 or 3 drops of this juice to your affected ear.
- You should use the basil juice several times per day and you will see an amazing result.
16. Hair Dryer
Being a household appliance, hair dryer, apart from the ability to obviously dry your hair, may be applied as a relief for those suffering from earaches. Typically, after you take a bath or shower, you often use a towel to make your ears dry. However, you can use your hair dryer to do this instead of a towel. You should keep the dryer setting at warm and remember to hold the hair dryer at a short distance from your ears to make them dry effectively. Finally, you have to avoid using it more than 5 minutes. By using this way, the warm air created from your hair dryer will help you to alleviate your painful ear.
17. Diet Plan
Setting a diet plan when you suffer from any problem about health is essential because diet will affect a lot to those problems. Therefore, let taking the following diet when you suffer from earaches along with ear infection.
- Consume the foods (vegetables and fruits) that are high in vitamin A, C, amino acids, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids in your daily diet.
- Avoid consuming dairy products (exception of buttermilk and yogurt) to help in curing earaches
- Avoid using the mucous forming foods such as wheat, oranges, citrus fruits, peanut butter, bananas, etc., to remove the infection that causes earaches.
- Besides, herbal teas will assist you in soothing the ear pain. Hence, taking herbal teas such as chamomile tea, ginger, and honey tea, basil tea will help you reduce the pain inside your ear faster.
- Drinking a lot of water along with other fluids also helps to treat many health diseases like earaches and ear infection.
Top 22 Natural At Home Remedies For Ear Infections In Adults
To sum up, all above are home remedies for earaches. You may try applying any of these home remedies in an emergency situation or if you cannot see your doctor immediately. In case you cannot feel better after applying some of them, immediately see an ENT specialist because a persistent pain may warn that you are at risk of a serious infection and need medical attention. If you want to ask anything, let leave your question below. And remember to share with us if you have any other home remedies for earaches. Also, to get more information about home remedies for dealing with other diseases and conditions, let visit our main Home Remedies page. You are welcome!