Burn is a common skin injury that leads to redness and pain. In fact, according to the level of pain, burns are divided into three types (first degree burns, second degree burns, and third degree burns). First degree burns that will impact on the epidermis (the outer skin layer) causes redness and pain, and you can totally use natural home remedies for burns to treat them. Second degree burns will affect to epidermis and dermis that is the middle skin layer. Some in this burn type are cured at home, but the others who are more serious, have to been treated by seeking medical attention. Third degree burns are the most serious condition of all burns because they affect to the deeper layer of the skin that is subcutaneous tissue where muscles, blood vessels glands, and bones are located. If you suffer from this type of burns, you must go to hospital in order to get the instant treatment by doctors because these burns can threaten your life.
In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com is going to introduce to you top 20 natural home remedies for burns on skin including hand & face so that you can minimize pain at your own home. Remember that there are no home remedies for third degree apart from taking medical treatment. The natural home remedies in this writing can help in relieving pain and other symptoms of the first and second degree burns. Now let’s discover!
Top 20 Natural Home Remedies For Burns On Skin Including Hand & Face
1. Raw Potatoes
The first remedy in the list of natural home remedies for burns is using potatoes. The soothing and anti-irritating properties present in raw potatoes can help to reduce the chance of forming unpleasant blisters and relieve the pain. This remedy is very useful to cure the minor skin burns.
- Firstly, you cut the raw potatoes into thin slices.
- Next you put these slices on your burns and around them.
- While you rub the raw potatoes onto your burns, make sure that you do not put over pressure on them, and leave these potato slices on there until they release the juice all over the pain.
- You should apply this solution immediately after having burns in order to get the best results.
- You can repeat this remedy if you feel necessary
2. Cold Water
The second remedy in the list of effective home remedies for burns is applying cold water. It is very useful in treating burns and stopping the spread of the large burns to other parts.
Now here are detailed instructions:
- You soak your burned area in the running cold water for about 10 -15 minutes to get instant relief from burns.
- Or you can apply the cold compress over your affected areas for a few minutes and repeat the process for 3 – 4 times a day to get rid of burns.
- Remember that you do not use ice cubes instead of cold water because it can resist your blood flow and cause the damage to delicate tissues.
- You can also use cold milk and follow above instructions to relieve your burns.
Recommended reading: 27 natural home solutions for sunburn relief
3. Black Tea Bags
Black tea is considered as one of the excellent home remedies for burns because it contains the tannic acid that can help you draw heat out of your burns and reduce pain caused by burns. There are two methods using black tea that you can try applying:
Method 1: Black Tea Bags And Water
- Firstly, you put three black tea bags in a glass of cool water.
- Next you allow it to sit in 3 – 5 minutes.
- Then you dab these bags gently on your burned areas.
- Or you can put cold and wet tea bags directly on your burns and keep them on there for some minutes.
Method 2: Black Tea Bags And Mint Leaves
- You take about three or four black tea bags and make a concoction by adding two glasses of fresh mint leaves and four glasses of boiling water. Then you stir it well.
- Next you strain this mixture into a clean jar and allow it to be cold.
- Then you dab this mixture on your burns with a washcloth or cotton ball.
Honey is very effective in healing burns, and it is used to disinfect the wounds and works as a soothing agent. When you apply honey to your burns, it can eliminate fluids in the tissues and clean your burned area. Now I will give you specific instructions.
- You can apply honey directly to your burned area.
- You let it on your burn without disturbing it.
- Or you can put honey on the clean gauze bandage. Then you place it directly on your burns.
- You leave it for 2 -3 hours.
- Remember changing the bandage three or four times a day.
- You should do this regularly to treat your burns quickly.
5. Onion Juice
The quercetin and sulfur present in onions help you get rid of your burns, and reduce the formation of blisters. Now keep reading to learn step by step instructions.
- Firstly, you cut an onion into small pieces.
- Then, you grind them to get the juice
- You apply the fresh onion juice on your burns directly and you rub gently.
- Remember that you have to apply fresh onions because onions may lose the medical properties after few minutes.
- You should do this several times a day in order to reduce effectively your pain and burns.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known as one of the oldest home remedies for burns. It contains the astringent and painkilling properties that help to treat burns fast.
- Firstly, you need to wash off your burns with vinegar or cold water.
- Next you take 1 or 2 fresh aloe vera leaves
- Then, you squeeze it to get the gel from it.
- Then you apply directly this gel on your burn.
- You should leave it like that because it will give cooling effect and treat your burns soon.
- If you do not have fresh aloe vera leaf, you can buy the cream that has aloe vera as a main ingredient from the drug store. Then you can apply the cream on your burns.
- You should repeat this process to heal your burn faster.
7. Lavender Essential Oil
Another natural remedy for burns I would like to introduce to you is lavender essential oil that has painkilling and antiseptic properties, so it can reduce the risk of scarring and cure your burns quickly.
- Firstly, you will need 3 – 4 drops of lavender oil.
- Then you apply directly this oil on your affected part of burn for 4 – 5 times per day.
- Or you can pour 5 – 7 drops of lavender oil on a clean tissue or a piece of gauze. Then you put it directly on your burns.
- Remember that you have to replace the gauze or tissue for every two or three hours.
8. Vinegar And Water
Vinegar is one of effective home remedies for burns you can apply at home easily. Vinegar contains antiseptic and astringent properties that help in curing the minor burns and prevent your burns from the infection. Now I will give you specific instructions.
- Firstly, you take vinegar (any kind).
- Next you dilute the vinegar with an equal amount of fresh water.
- Now you soak a cotton cloth in this diluted vinegar and then cover the affected part of burn with it.
- You have to replace this cotton cloth with a new one in every three hours.
- Keep doing this solution continuously to reduce your pain and heal burns faster.
9. Plantain Leaves
Do you know that plantain leave is also a good remedy for burns? The plantain leaves are rich in antimicrobial, anti-hemorrhagic, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat effectively burns without scars.
- Firstly, you will need 3 – 4 fresh plantain leaves.
- Next you crush them to extract the juice.
- Then you rub this juice directly on your burn.
- Or you can pound the fresh plantain leaves and cover your affected part of burn with these leaves. Pounding the fresh plantain leaves will increase the release of juice from the fresh plantain leaves.
- This remedy can help you get relief from your burns quickly.
The fat content in milk can help to soothe burns & speed up the burn treating process.
Or if you use nonfat milk, it has special enzymes that can fast up the curing process by reducing the pain. Therefore, you can take any kind of milk to treat your burn.
- Firstly, you pour the milk in a clean bowl.
- Next you soak the burnt skin in the milk for fifteen minutes.
- Or simply, you soak a cloth in the milk and apply it on your burnt skin.
- Now you leave it for 3 – 5 minutes and keep doing the process for every three or four hours to relieve your burn.
Note: After 24 hours, you have to wash your cloth, hands or burned area with water to remove the sourness.
In the list of natural home remedies for burns, yogurt is known as an antidote for burns. It has cooling properties and soothes the burned skin to relieve pain quickly. Now keep reading to take instructions.
- Firstly, you take 1 cup of yogurt.
- Next you apply the yogurt directly on your burned skin.
- Leave it for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then you wash gently your burn with clean water to get relief from your pain.
- You have better use plain yogurt.
- You should repeat this process to reduce your burns.
12. Salt And Water Solution
Salt is used to treat burns by releasing all the liquid, and it also can make the burn dry to get fast relief from the burning and pain. Besides, you can use salt to treat the uneasy burns in your mouth when you eat foods that are hot (causing mouth burns).
- 8 oz of warm water
- ½ tsp of salt
- Mix the salt in the warm water well.
- Rinse the affected part of burn with the liquid for at least 1 – 2 hours.
- This remedy will heal the wound quickly and get relief from burns.
13. Ice Cubes
Ice cube is one of the most popular home remedies for burns you can easily use at home. If you eat the hot foods like hot chocolates, soups or any other kinds before getting cold, this may cause tongue and mouth burns. Here are the specific instructions for you to relieve them.
- Firstly, you take an ice cube.
- Then suck the ice cube in your mouth.
- Remember that before you suck the ice cube in your mouth, you need to rinse the ice cube in water so that it does not stick to your lips or tongue.
14. Banana Peel
Banana peel contains the lutein that is considered as a powerful antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation and swelling caused by burns. Banana peel is very effective in healing burnt skin area.
- Firstly, you take a banana peel and put it on your affected part of burn.
- Then you gently rub it.
- Now you leave it like that till it appears black in color.
- You should repeat this remedy to relieve the burn and heal it quickly.
15. Vitamin E
Along with other home remedies for burns, vitamin E is a very useful and effective remedy to treat burns. You can either gather the oil that contains vitamin E or capsule that has vitamin E as a main ingredient.
- Firstly, you will take vitamin E oil.
- Then apply directly it on burns.
- Now you leave it like that without touching it.
- You should repeat this remedy continuously to heal burns faster.
16. Soy Sauce
Another remedy I would like to introduce to you is soy sauce that can prevent your skin from forming blisters and ease burns quickly. It is very effective in treating the first and second degree burns.
- Firstly, you take soy sauce.
- Next you apply it on your burned areas.
- Now you let it sit on for about 30 minutes.
- Then you rinse off with clean water.
17. Mustard & Turmeric Oil
Mustard and turmeric oil are two of the most popular and effective home remedies for burns you should apply to get fast relief from them. Mustard oil will give you faster relief from the burn when it is applied on the burned areas. Turmeric that works as an antibiotic drug is used to heal burns.
- Firstly, you will mix 1 tbsp of mustard oil and 1 tsp of turmeric powder well.
- Then you apply this mixture on your affected part of burn.
- Now you leave it like that for thirty minutes and wash off with clean water.
As you know, minor burns may cause itching while you heal them, so you need to respond correctly because burns may lead to other problems. You can use oatmeal in order to relieve itching immediately.
- Firstly, you add 1 glass of uncooked oatmeal into a bathtub of warm water.
- Next you soak your burned area in it for 15 – 20 minutes.
- You will see a thin coating of oatmeal will cover on your skin.
- Now leave it like that for few minutes.
- You should be careful when you get in and out of the bathtub because oatmeal makes the surfaces slippery.
- Or simply, you can apply the body lotion in order to prevent the itching.
One of the wonderful effects of toothpaste is reducing the pain caused by burns. Especially, it is very effective in healing burns in case you touched something hot. The usage of toothpaste is very simple; you just apply a thin layer of toothpaste on your burned skin and leave it dry. This remedy will help you get relief from burns fast. Mint toothpaste is the best choice for you.
20. Diet Plan
A good diet plan not only gives you the fast relief from burns but also strengthens your immune system to speed up the healing process. Now I will give you some useful tips.
- You should drink a lot of water and consume fresh juice to keep yourself hydrated and to strengthen your immune system to battle with any health problem.
- You should eat the foods that contain a rich source of calories, vitamins, zinc, minerals, and proteins that help to boost the healing process.
- You should consume the foods that have the high amount of Vitamin E and Vitamin A such as green vegetables and fruits, nuts and cereals and so on.
- You should eat the foods that contain rich vitamin C like potatoes, broccoli, citrus fruits, etc in order to heal burns faster.
If you would like to learn more useful and natural home remedies for other disease, please visit our main Home Remedies page. With the top 20 natural home remedies for burns on skin including hand & face at home, I hope that you can select yourself the best remedies. If you want to discuss and give more other useful home remedies for burns, please leave your comments bellow. We really appreciate that.