Table of contents
Everybody will experience problems with sleeping at least once in their life, which may be caused by factors like a change in location, illness or pain, stress, and medicinal side effects. However, if this is a regular problem, it may be due to sleep disorders such as sleep apnea, insomnia, narcolepsy, night terror, sleepwalking, nocturnal bruxism, bed wetting, or restless legs syndrome. These sleep problems will make you feel fatigued, irritable and tired, making it difficult to focus.
With a proper treatment, you may successfully keep your sleep disorders under control, which aids you in having better sleep and enjoying great benefits of healthy and good sleep. However, using some medical treatments can do harm in later life; thus, you can utilize natural solutions that can help you relieve your sleep disorder problems safely and effectively. Here are 14 simple-but-effective home remedies for sleep disorders in adults.
Top 14 Natural Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders In Adults
1. Epsom Salt Bath
Naturopathic practitioners recommended that people take a bath mixed with Epsom salt before sleeping at night. The magnesium content can aid in creating a feeling of well-being by soothing sore muscles and calming nerves.
- ½ cup of Epsom salt
- 1 warm bath water
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Add the Epsom salt to the bath water.
- Stir well so salts dissolve.
- Soak for 20 minutes, an hour before sleeping. Several times a week.
2. Lavender Oil & Olive Oil
The scent of lavender oil is soothing. Olive oil contains fat, vitamins E and K, and possesses moisturizing, anti-oxidant and soothing effect.
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- A few drops of lavender oil
- Mix both oils and rub on the soles of your feet before sleeping.
Because of its serotonin, melatonin and magnesium that helps calm you down and then relax your muscles and your nerves, bananas are regarded as one of the tastiest sleeping pills.
- 1 banana
- Eat bananas twice a day.
See more:The best natural home remedies for insomnia
4. Warm Milk, Cinnamon Powder & Honey
Warm milk relaxes the mind and body, and is a rich source of calcium. This helps to alleviate stress as well as regulate the melatonin production, the hormone that regulates sleep. Cinnamon and honey have similar effects. Therefore, drinking warm milk mixed with cinnamon powder and honey before you sleep can treat your sleep disorders at home.
- 1 cup of warm milk
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of honey
- Add the cinnamon powder and honey into the warm milk and stir well.
- Drink an hour before sleeping, once a day.
See more: Top 18 Best Natural Home Remedies For Snoring
Valerian root is a sleep and sedative aid. It raises the amount of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) to regulate nerve cells. It is also popular as a natural remedy for anxiety, in capsule or dried form. You can drink a cup of valerian tea daily with honey or take it in capsule form.
- 1 tsp of dried valerian root
- 1 glass of hot water
- 1 tsp of honey (optional)
- Mix the valerian root with the hot water.
- Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and add honey to taste. Drink whilst warm.
- Repeat every night, an hour before sleeping.
- 400-900 milligrams of valerian extract
- Consume the valerian extract, two hours before sleeping, once a day.
- Do not utilize valerian frequently for more than several weeks.
Almond is rich in magnesium, which promotes both muscle relaxation and sleep. It contains tryptophan that can aid in raising serotonin levels, which regulates sleep pattern. Additionally, the protein content maintains stable blood sugar levels during sleep.
- 1 glass of warm water
- A little almond butter
- Eat the almond butter.
- Then, drink the water, 1 hour before sleeping, once a day.
You can use warm milk instead of warm water
- 1 handful of roasted almonds
- Eat the roasted almonds, an hour before sleeping.
7. Tart Cherry
Researchers from the Louisiana State University found that the tryptophan from consuming Montmorency tart cherry juice may help you sleep more if aging causes your insomnia. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, which converts to serotonin, and then melatonin. Melatonin aids in maintaining sleep and wake cycles, by triggering drowsiness and lowering core body temperature, to sync your biological clock.
- ½ glass of tart cherry juice
- Drink the tart cherry juice twice a day.
- 1 handful of tart cherries
- Simply eat the tart cherries
- Remember to do it several hours before you sleep at night
- Do the treatment once per day
8. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm is an effective insomnia treatment, and also helps to lift mood and promote relaxation. As depression contributes to sleep problems, lemon balm can help via its sedative effects. However, excessively high dosages (around 1800 milligrams) can lead to adverse effects, like anxiety. Seek a physician’s advice before consuming. Following is two ways to use lemon balm for treating sleep disorders, namely lemon balm tea and lemon balm capsule.
- 1 tsp of dried lemon balm
- 1 glass of hot water
- Mix the lemon balm with hot water well.
- Steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Consume the tea several times per day for some weeks.
- 300 milligrams of lemon balm extract
- Simply take the dosage
- Do the treatment twice per day in some weeks
9. Saint John’s Wort
Saint John’s Wort in capsule or tea form helps alleviate depression and promotes better sleep, via hypericin which inhibits serotonin reuptake. This has a similar effect to higher levels of melatonin. As a result, Saint John’s wort is one of the natural home remedies for sleep disorders. It is recommended for you to take it either in capsule form or tea.
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 tsp of dried Saint John’s wort (flowers or herb top)
- 1 tsp of lemon or honey to taste (optional)
- Steep Saint John’s wort in hot water, cover the cup, for 5-10 minutes.
- Consume once a day, 30-45 minutes before bed or in the morning.
10. Change Bad Habits
Bad habits also can cause or worsen sleep problems. Here are some things to take note of:
- Uncomfortable bedrooms can disrupt sleep. Ensure that your environment is dark, cool, comfortable and quiet. The bedroom should only be associated with sex and sleep, not for working or eating.
- Switch off your laptop, mobile phone, and tablet as you sleep two hours before bedtime, as blue wavelength light suppresses melatonin production and contributes to insomnia.
- Limit your caffeine and alcohol consumption as they contribute to sleeplessness.
- 4-5 hours before sleeping, exercises such as meditation, aerobic and yoga relax your mind and body.
- Hot showers before sleeping lowers core body temperature and lessens stress to help sleep. Or add salt to a warm bath for a 20-minute soak.
- Bedtime stories and music are good methods that can make you sleepy. It is suggested for you to select the familiar story so that the mind can relax without distracting the attention.
- You can turn white noise machine that may produce low-level soothing noise so as to help you to solve your insomnia.
- Consume the foods rich in magnesium and calcium, which are effective sleep aids.
In short, sleep disorders can be alleviated with natural solutions. It is an honor for Effective Remedies to provide you with 14 natural solutions in order to help you relieve from sleep disorder symptoms. Be aware that this article is only informational, not for medical or educational purposes. Thus, it is highly recommended that you consult the doctor for advice prior to utilizing any above-mentioned treatment. If you know any other natural home remedies for sleep disorders or have any questions or comments, you can freely leave them below and we will respond as soon as possible. To get more information pertaining to effective natural remedies for other health problems, feel free to go to our main Home Remedies page.