Are you suffering from hemorrhoids or piles? Are you finding an effective home remedy to treat hemorrhoids? If your answer is “Yes”, keep reading to understand more. There are many ways of healing hemorrhoids and getting instant relief from pain at home by using active ingredients including herbs, vegetable and fruit mixtures. In this article, you will discover the top 16 natural home remedies for hemorrhoids in adults and children. There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your healthcare provider and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
Top 16 Natural Home Remedies For Hemorrhoids In Adults & Children
Ice helps to constrict blood vessels, reduces the swelling, and relieves hemorrhoid pain immediately.
- Take some ice cubes and wrap in a clean cloth.
- Apply it directly to your affected area.
- Leave it in place for about 10 minutes.
- Keep repeating this process several times a day till the hemorrhoids go away.
- Alternatively, you can use a pack of frozen vegetables such as peas or corns that you wrap in tea towel (throw away after use, do not return to the fridge or freezer!)
- Apply to your affected areas and leave in place for about 20 minutes.
- Do this three times a day to eliminate the hemorrhoid symptoms.
2. Aloe Vera
According to a 2015 study published in the journal, BioMed Research International, aloe vera offers an anti-inflammatory effect on your body and can help to heal wounds.
Remedy 1: (For Internal Hemorrhoids)
- Take an aloe vera leaf and remove the thorn of the leaf.
- Cut the leaf into strips, put these slices in a bowl and keep in the refrigerator for a while.
- Apply a cold aloe vera strip to the affected area to get relief from the burning, itching sensation, and pain.
- Repeat this process regularly to help soothe your hemorrhoids.
Remedy 2: (For External Hemorrhoids)
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Rub this gel into the anus and massage slowly into the affected area for a few minutes.
- This process can help you by relieving pain and soothing burning sensations.
- Apply this process to eliminate external hemorrhoids.
3. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel has healing and mildly astringent properties which can help to ease the discomforts related to hemorrhoids. This astringent property helps to shrink inflamed blood vessels and relieve pain, itching, and swelling. According to a 2011 study published in the Journal of Inflammation, it also contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Moreover, it helps to reduce bruising.
- Take a cotton ball or clean cloth and soak it in undistilled witch hazel.
- Use this cotton ball or clean cloth to gently massage the affected area and leave in place for a few minutes.
- Do this at least three times a day until the bleeding and pain of hemorrhoids disappear.
- Or you can take some medicated pads that contain witch hazel.
- Apply these moist wiping pads instead of using toilet paper.
- This process will help to protect the anus from microorganisms and irritation.
- Keep doing this process regularly to eliminate the problem.
4. Coconut Oil
- Clean your affected area with a dry cotton ball or clean cloth.
- Gently apply some coconut oil to your affected area.
- Allow it to stay there for a few minutes.
- Keep repeating this process several times a day until you get rid of the pain and discomfort.
5. Butcher’s Broom
Butcher’s broom (known as box holly) is used as a cleaner or sanitizer. Besides, it has been used as a traditional European treatment to stimulate blood circulation for healing hemorrhoids and varicose veins. According to a 2002 study conducted in Germany, butcher’s broom is an effective treatment for patients who suffer from chronic venous insufficiency. This is a condition in which blood flow through the veins is poor, which causes the blood to pool.
You can take butcher’s broom in supplement form. You can also make a tea by steeping 1 teaspoon of dried leaves with honey to get a sweeter taste. Drink regularly to help improve hemorrhoids.
6. Black Tea Bag
The tannic acid present in tea has natural astringent property that can help to decrease the swelling and pain related to hemorrhoids. It also has anti-inflammatory agents and will help to reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids.
- Take a cup of boiled water and soak a black tea bag in it.
- Keep waiting for a few minutes then take it out of the water.
- Allow to cool a little and apply the warm and wet tea bag to your affected areas.
- Let it sit in there for 10-15 minutes before discarding, and repeat this process daily for 2 or 3 times.
- You can also freeze the tea bags and apply for 5-10 minutes to treat the hemorrhoids (then throw away).
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which are used to heal external hemorrhoids . It can help to increase the elasticity of blood vessels and thereby reducing the inflammation. It can also help shrink the size of swollen blood vessels in your anal canal.
- Consume a teaspoon of olive oil daily.
- This process can help to decrease inflammation. Moreover, the monounsaturated fats it contains may help to improve the functionality of your excretory system.
- You can also crush some plum leaves to extract the juice from them.
- Combine the juice with some drops of olive oil.
- Mix it well and apply to your affected area.
- Keep waiting for a few minutes.
- Repeat regularly.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains various nutrients which can relieve both internal and external hemorrhoids by making blood vessel walls and capillaries stronger. It is also effective at detoxifying the body and reducing swelling.
- Saturate a cotton ball or clean cloth with some fresh lemon juice.
- Apply it to your affected area. You initially have a burning sensation or some mild tingling; however, you will get relief from the pain soon after.
- Squeeze a half of lemon into a cup of boiled milk.
- Stir it well and drink.
- Do this process every 3 hours for the best results.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of mint juice and 1/2 teaspoon of honey.
- Mix all these ingredients well and consume it.
- Use once a day to help get rid of hemorrhoids.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has astringent property that can help to shrink swollen blood vessels and give relief from the swelling and irritation of both internal and external hemorrhoids . Remember to use unpasteurized and unfiltered vinegar to get the best results quickly.
Remedy 1: (For Internal Hemorrhoids)
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- Stir it well and drink this mixture at least 2 times a day.
- If you want a better taste, you can add some honey to it.
Remedy 2: (For External Hemorrhoids)
- Take a cotton ball or clean cloth and soak it in some apple cider vinegar for a few minutes.
- Gently press it against the inflamed area.
- Applying this method will initially lead to the stinging sensation but you will soon relieve itchiness and irritation.
- Repeat it several times a day till the swelling reduces and hemorrhoids disappear.
10. Almond Oil
Almond oil has deep tissue absorption and emollient properties which are used to heal external hemorrhoids. It can help to moisturise and ease the inflammation and reduce burning, and itching sensation in the anus and around the area.
- Put some drops of pure almond oil to a small bowl.
- Take a cotton ball or clean cloth and soak it in the oil.
- Apply directly to your affected area to relieve the pain caused by hemorrhoids.
- Keep repeating this process for a few days to eliminate hemorrhoids, especially external hemorrhoids.
Potatoes have astringent properties, which can help to soothe the pain and itching related to hemorrhoids.
- Take two potatoes and rinse them properly.
- Cut them into small pieces and put them in a blender to liquidise.
- Combine with some teaspoons of water and spread the mixture into a clean kerchief or thin gauze bandage to make a poultice.
- Fold it in half and apply it to your affected area for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Keep repeating this process regularly for about 1 to 2 times per day.
Prunes have a laxative effect and are rich in dietary fiber, which can help to soften the stools and thereby helping to combat the hemorrhoids.
- Take 2 or 3 prunes and eat them daily to relieve the hemorrhoid symptoms.
- Or you can extract some prune juice and drink daily to get relief from the pain and discomfort caused by hemorrhoids.
- You can also take prunes in supplement forms and use regularly to fend off hemorrhoids.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page.