IBS is a quite common disease that affects nearly forty-five million American, especially women. It is not a fatal disease, but it makes people feel uncomfortable. Many people with IBS might have to miss their school and work, while some of them moved to work at home. Therefore, an urgent treatment for it is necessary to make life easier. This article will show you some doctor-approved, natural home remedies for IBS pain in children and adults that work. However, firstly, let’s have a look at its causes and symptoms.
- Top 21 natural treatments for indigestion pain and gas
- Top 45 effective cures for constipation in adults & children (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Sarah Brewer MSc, MA (Cantab), MB, BChir, RNutr, MBANT, CNHC)
22 Home Remedies For IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) Pain In Children & Adults
The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies that can be used alongside usual medical treatment. Always consult your doctor about recurrent infections, and if symptoms are getting worse rather than better.
I. What Is IBS?
IBS (which stands for irritable bowel syndrome) is a condition of the bowels that causes pain. It is a chronic condition that requires your long-term management.
There are many reasons for IBS; most of them are related to diet and lifestyle, such as:
- Inflammation: Inflammation in the intestines is considered one of the most common causes of IBS. When the intestines are inflamed, the number of immune cells increases. And, when the immune cells respond to inflammation, it causes pain and diarrhea.
- Infection: IBS can also be associated with the development of bacteria in the intestines.
- Muscle constructions: Muscle constructions that last longer and stronger are the cause of bloating and diarrhea.
- Abnormalities in the nervous system: Abnormalities in the nervous system can bring you more uncomfortable feelings and even pain. It is caused by the weak coordination between the brain and intestines, which leads to the overreaction of your intestines to digestive changes.
- Stress: Stress does not cause IBS, but it may worsen your symptoms if you are a patient of IBS.
Some of the common symptoms of IBS are:
- Abdominal pain
- Bloating or cramping
- Excess gas
- Diarrhea at night
II. Home Remedies For IBS
Yogurt is considered one of the best home remedies for IBS. It has living bacteria and probiotics, which can create lactic acid and a protective layer in the intestines to help protect your stomach and remove toxins from your body . Therefore, yogurt is effective in treating intestinal and digestive diseases. Yogurt is suitable for people of all ages and should be consumed after the daily meals. You can directly eat yogurt or make a smoothie and then enjoy several times per day. Or follow the directions below:
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of psyllium to a cup of yogurt
- Consume it after the meal.
Note: You should enjoy 1 cup of yogurt after lunch and dinner. Although it is good for our health, it is said that children under six months old should not eat yogurt as their digestive systems are still weak. When eating yogurt, you can combine with fruits such as peaches, bananas, strawberries, and apple. However, you must not combine yogurt with processed food, smoked meat, frozen food, and never cook yogurt before eating because it can cause stomach ache or constipation.
Flaxseed is rich in fiber, which is useful in removing waste from your body. Also, it contains a large amount of Omega-3 fatty acids and ALA so that it can boost the digestion very effectively. The digestive diseases such as Crohn's disease will also be treated by using flaxseed. Scientists pointed out that flaxseed may help to reduce the symptoms of IBS and diseases related to intestinal and colonial inflammation . Daily drinking flaxseed tea will help to remove all of the toxins in your stomach, make it clean and digest foods effectively.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 1 cup of warm water
- Drink this water every day to achieve the best result.
- Boil a cup of water
- Add to the boiling water one tablespoon of flaxseed
- Wait for 10 minutes
- Enjoy this tea every day, before bedtime
Peppermint is one of the best home remedies for IBS because it may effectively ease the IBS symptoms. Mint is a natural ingredient that you can use to treat gastrointestinal disorders. It can help to increase the appetite and boost the digestion. Using mint is an excellent way to reduce IBS symptoms, including abdominal distension, diarrhea, and cramping. Moreover, peppermint is rich in menthol oil, which has antispasmodic agents; so it can help your stomach digest better and reduce intestinal diseases.
- Add three drops of peppermint oil into a cup of water
- Drink this water four times per day until you feel better
- Prepare 1 cup of boiled water
- Add one teaspoon of peppermint to this water and mix them well
- Wait for 10 minutes
- Drink this water three times per day to get rid of IBS symptoms as soon as possible.
4. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are rich in minerals and vitamins such as B3, C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron. Moreover, the fiber in fennel seeds helps to balance the metabolism and boost the digestion. Using this type of seeds is also effective in reducing bloating, eliminating fat, and preventing the mucus overproduction in the intestines. Moreover, fennel seed is a powerful treatment for digestive pain, especially for IBS patients. If you suffer from a stomach ache or flatulence, this remedy is also helpful to you. A cup of fennel juice is essential for children to prevent digestive disorders when constipation.
- Crush one tablespoon of fennel seeds and boil a cup of water
- Mix fennel seeds with water
- Wait for 10 minutes
- Enjoy this herbal tea twice or thrice per day to reduce IBS symptoms and protect your stomach's health.
Note: You should not use a large dose of fennel seeds because it has a high level of estrogen and can exacerbate some kinds of cancers such as breast and ovaries. And, please note that pregnant women should not consume a large amount of fennel.
Banana can provide your body with potassium, and electrolyte, which are lost after diarrhea. It is also enriched with fiber; so it can help to promote the bowel function, especially for those who suffer from stomach ache. Remarkably, the green banana is useful in reducing the acid level and gastric irritation. Moreover, the fiber content of banana makes it a powerful remedy for the intestinal disorder, including constipation. B vitamins in the banana can help to relax your nerves and your body. Especially, when you are stressed, eating bananas can help to reduce the heart rate, balance the oxygen in your brain and of course, make you feel better. The benefits of banana for bowel health are undeniable; therefore, regularly eat bananas to make you physically and mentally stronger in life.
6. Sweet Potato
Sweet potato is rich in vitamin B, C, potassium, and calcium so it is effective in reducing IBS symptoms and treating stomach ulcers. Also, sweet potatoes contain fiber, which is powerful in controlling the stomach's acid levels and preventing constipation . The vitamin C and amino acid in sweet potato will stimulate the movement of bowel and make foods easier to be digested. The simplest way on how to use sweet potato for IBS is to boil sweet potato and then consume it. 100 grams of sweet potatoes per day is enough for a good digestive system. Also, you can boil sweet potatoes, blend to make juice and then enjoy it. It is noted that lunch is the ideal time to eat sweet potato because the sunlight in the afternoon can promote the absorption of calcium from this food.
However, remember not to eat kaki when you consume sweet potato. When eating sweet potato, the gastric acid in your stomach will be increased. This acid will combine with tannin (if you eat kaki together), precipitate and then harm your stomach.
Ginger itself is very famous for its health benefits, including treating IBS symptoms by removing gas and reducing bloating . Also, ginger can help to remove all of the inflammation in the intestines and relax the intestine muscle. Moreover, some symptoms of IBS, such as vomiting, nausea, flatulence, and abdominal pain, will also be treated by drinking ginger tea. You can simply add some ginger slices to your cup of tea that you drink every morning or follow the directions following to prepare a perfect cup of tea.
Remedy 1: Ginger And Apple Cider Vinegar
- Rinse fresh ginger, remove the shell, and cut it into thin slices
- Put ginger slices in a jar and pour apple cider vinegar into this jar
- Store in a cool and dry place (the refrigerator is a good choice) for seven days
- Eat some ginger slices whenever you have a stomach ache
Remedy 2: Ginger, Honey, And Lemon Tea
- Squeeze ginger to take the juice
- Mix the above ginger juice with a cup of water, one teaspoon of honey and lemon juice
- Stir them well and enjoy the tea.
- Consume this tea every morning to treat IBS symptoms effectively.
Cabbage is effective in treating IBS thanks to the appearance of minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, and phosphorus in this wonderful ingredient. It is also rich in vitamin C, 4.5 times as much as the amount of vitamin C in carrots so it can help heal the peptic ulcer. In addition to healing the peptic ulcer, cabbage can reduce IBS symptoms. The study pointed out that people who drink a cup of cabbage juice per day in three weeks can gradually recover from gastric ulcers.
- Wash cabbage and then cut it into small slices
- Use a blender to juice the above cabbage
- Drink 1/2 cup of the above juice four times per day to completely get rid of irritable bowel syndrome
Note: Each day, you should drink 1000 ml of cabbage juice, divided into four times. If you do not find it delicious, you can add sugar or salt. Preparing this remedy is not so easy, so you should instantly prepare and consume this juice in 2 months for the best result. Unfortunately, this juice can cause allergic to some people; so you should try a small test before applying this remedy. Also, pay attention to your situation when drinking cabbage juice to make sure that it does not worsen your disease.
9. Oat Bran
One teaspoon of oat bran per day can provide you with enough amount of fiber that your body needs. If you consume oat bran regularly, the stools will become soft and be passed down easily. Moreover, oat bran is rich in protein, antioxidants, phosphorus, iron, and zinc, which are all beneficial to our health.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of oat bran with 2 cups of water
- Cook the above mixture in some minutes
- Consume it every morning, at the breakfast
- Boil 300ml of water
- Add to the boiling water five teaspoons of oatmeal
- Add some milk
- Enjoy this water to reduce stress.
Note: You can also add oat bran to your yogurt or smoothie and then consume it every day.
10. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has an antispasmodic property and contains a large number of tannins, so it may relieve the symptoms of IBS very effectively, especially diarrhea. This herb can also treat the bowel inflammation. According to Oriental Medicine, you can make soup or tea with chamomile for beautiful skin and strong body.
- Boil a cup of water
- Add to this boiled water three teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers
- Leave it for around 15 minutes so that the chamomile flowers can steep into the water
- Strain the tea and add some lemon juice
- Enjoy 3 cups of this herbal tea every day to treat IBS symptoms effectively.
11. Green Tea
Green tea is famous for the ability to promote the amount of urine output, an effective way to eliminate the toxins in our body. The substance available in green tea will affect the toxins in our blood and increase their elimination through urine. Moreover, drinking green tea regularly can prevent cancers. It is also good for people who smoke because it can help to reduce the negative effects of nicotine in cigarettes. To have the best result when using green tea for IBS symptoms, you should avoid food such as coffee, dairy, and fatty food.
Thanks to the appearance of pectin, carrot may help to treat IBS symptoms, including diarrhea and constipation. Besides making foods, carrots are widely used in treating digestive diseases as they contain fiber and vitamins, which can soften the stools in your body and make it easy to be passed down. Many people reported that they were able to get rid of constipation without any medicine, but carrots.
- Put some fresh carrots in a blender
- Blend them and extract the juice
- Add to carrot juice some drops of lemon juice and a little bit of honey
- Consume several cups of carrot juice per day to achieve the best result
- Cook carrots
- Put the cooked carrots in a blender, add some water and then blend it to make a smoothie
- Add to this smoothie a little bit salt
- Enjoy this smoothie every day, 1/2 cup per time to keep away from IBS symptoms as soon as possible.
III. How To Prevent IBS From Reoccurring
Your stress can come from work or life problems, and it makes your IBS worse. Therefore, if you want to keep away from IBS, you should pay attention to your stress level. You should have healthy eating and living habits, do exercises regularly and sleep enough to main your health. Also, to be mentally strong, you can do some fun activities such as listening to music, watching TV or reading books. You should also learn how to calm down your behaviors by talking to your family or close friend. They can support you and then let you know how to solve the problem effectively.
IV. Diet And Lifestyle Advice For IBS Patients
1. Consume More Fiber
Fiber can absorb the liquid in your intestines and help you fight diarrhea. It is rich in fruits, including strawberries, apples, grapefruits and foods such as oatmeal and beans. Therefore, consume a large number of the above foods to have a strong bowel.
2. Drink Enough Water
One thing you have to know if you want to have a healthy body is to drink enough amount of water every day. It is suggested that eight glasses of water is necessary to have healthy bowel and strong health.
3. Eat At Scheduled Time Every Day
Eating healthily can help to promote the functions of your bowel so you should never skip eating. For example, you have diarrhea; you should eat small meals and many times. In another case, if you have constipation, you should eat more fiber-rich foods, as they can help you to digest better.
4. Do Exercise Regularly And Reduce Stress
Stress can worsen IBS symptoms; therefore, reducing stress is an important step in treating this disease. You can start by practicing breathing exercises or yoga. Doing exercise regularly, about 30 minutes per day, will be beneficial to your overall health. Not only keep you healthy and strong but doing exercises will also assist your digestive system and help to naturally relieve pain endorphins.
V. When To See Doctor?
IBS can be treated at home. However, if you see the following symptoms, see a doctor as soon as possible because your irritable bowel syndrome may be very serious.
- Persistent pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Iron deficiency
- Difficulties in swallowing
Above are the best natural treatments for IBS that you can easily apply at home. If you have any questions or know other natural home remedies for IBS pain, you can leave your comment under this article.
All content provided is for informational and educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate to you.