When the pores in your skin become clogged with oil and dead skin cells, acne develops. The result is blackheads and whiteheads. Besides, bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes (P.acnes) play a crucial role in the inflammation that causes the red bumps, characterizing acne.
We all have acne on the face, big or small, whether in a conspicuous position such as the forehead or a hidden angle such as the jawbone. However, these types of acne are not the same. Acne on the face is associated with a specific organ problem, so they need to have different treatments. So, what your acne locations about your health? Keep reading this article on Effective Remedies to get the best answer and the treatment for acne.
- Top 43 most used treatments for acne
- Top 48 effective home treatments for acne scars
- Top 16 worth-trying tips to get beautiful skin (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Sarah Brewer MSc, MA (Cantab), MB, BChir, RNutr, MBANT, CNHC)
What Your Acne Location Says About Your Health And Treatment
I. Acne Location And Your Health
There are a lot of factors that contribute to acne, some of which come directly from within the body. Therefore, Western dermatologists believe that acne on certain areas of the face may be related to underlying problems in your body. Understanding the location of acne not only helps you take care of your internal health better, but also helps you find the proper acne treatment.
- Forehead Acne: According to traditional Chinese medicine, the area above your eyebrows is related to your gallbladder and liver. Therefore, the acne spots appearing on the forehead are a warning of problems of digestion, liver, and unhealthy lifestyle such as staying up late and lack of sleep. Especially, you are staying in a state of severe stress.
To address this situation, change your living habits, sleep at least 7 hours a day or drink plenty of water daily to purify the body. Adjust your diet to provide your body with full nutrition and avoid eating junk and oily foods to prevent digestive tract diseases.
- Acne On Temples: Acne between the eyebrows, also known as the temples, is linked to excessive smoking and overconsumption of preservative-containing foods. This also notes that the circulatory system is not working properly and you also have a gallbladder problem. To improve your health, you should cut down on canned and high-fat foods such as butter, cheese, and snacks, and exercise regularly.
- Nose Acne: Don't be surprised to learn that your nose is connected to your lungs and heart. Acne spots on the nose indicate that you are eating too much spicy food, meat, and salt. This leads to the stomach issues, indigestion, or poor blood circulation. Therefore, you need to change your diet by eating more fruits, vegetables, nuts, and fatty fish such as omega-3s. Besides, you should check your blood pressure regularly and increase your intake of vitamin B supplements that can help remove the nose acne.
- Acne On The Cheeks: There is a difference between the left cheek and the right cheek. If acne appears on the left side of your face, you should eat cooling foods such as squash, bitter melon, and cucumber. The left cheek is connected to the liver. If you have acne on your left cheek, try to avoid heavy work. The right cheek is directly connected to the lungs. Thus, you should do aerobic exercise and breathe in the early morning to improve the air flow to your lungs. Acne on the right cheek is also a sign of consuming too much sugar. Therefore, pay attention to stay away from snacks, fast food, and sweets.
- Acne Around The Mouth: If you have acne around the mouth, your diet is probably not healthy. The area around the mouth is closely associated with the organs of the digestive system such as the liver and intestines. Therefore, you should cut down on spicy foods or deep fried foods. Besides, increasing your fiber intake from fruits and vegetables is also an effective solution.
- Chin Acne: Acne on the chin can be caused by hormonal disorders or excessive stress. Resting, drinking plenty of fluids, and supplementing omega-3 fatty acids are the most effective ways to improve this condition. If the problem persists, see your gynecologist for the proper treatment. Apart from that, resting your chin on your hand is a bad habit that leads to chin acne.
Continue reading this article to find out more about the treatment for acne based on its location.
II. Natural Remedies
For optimum results, you need to use ingredients that suit each acne location. There are sensitive skin areas, so you need to use gentle ingredients. On the other hand, oily areas need ingredients that have a strong bactericidal and oil absorption effect. Let’s refer the following acne map to help the acne treatment become more effective!
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
1. Forehead Acne
This type of acne often appears on the upper area of the forehead, near the hairline or between the forehead. These areas often produce more oil that causes acne. For an effective treatment, whip an egg white and apply to acne or the entire forehead. Then, wait for 20 minutes and rinse with cold water. It will help reduce oil and dry acne quickly. Egg whites are enriched with vitamins and amino acids that not only soak up excess oil but also build new skin tissues. They also have natural antiviral and astringent properties that can prevent acne. Besides, they possess one of the most powerful enzymes known as lysozymes, together with other amino acids, which kill bacteria.
2. Acne On The Lower Forehead, Near The Eyebrows
This area near the eyes is especially sensitive. It is also irritable if you use strong acne medications. The trick for you is to put some honey on the affected area and leave it overnight. It will help treat acne effectively without drying or harming the skin and limiting dark scars as much as possible. Honey consists of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects that may help to fight acne and prevent acne scars  .
3. Acne On The Cheek
The cheeks, especially the cheekbones, tend to be drier than other areas. You can treat acne on the cheek by using aloe vera gel. This method will help the skin heal faster and leave fewer bruises. Aloe vera comes with active components that have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, which may help to treat acne .
4. Acne On The Jawbone
When you have acne on the jawbone, lemon juice is great for detoxing the skin, sucking the excess oil from your skin, and killing your skin bacteria. Dilute lemon juice with pure water in a ratio of 2:1 and apply to the acne spots. Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse it off with cool water. Lemon is abundant in vitamin C. Due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory nature, vitamin C – whether it is consumed or topically applied – works effectively against acne  .
5. Chin Acne
The amount of sebum is most concentrated on the chin and T-zone. Acne on the chin tends to be swollen and quite large, so using baking soda may be the fastest way to help break acne and kill acne bacteria effectively. You mix baking soda with pure water and lemon juice and beat mixture until it becomes frothy. Apply it to your acne and rinse it off after 20 minutes with cool water. Baking soda comes with a drying effect on the skin, which will help shrink the zit and soothe inflammation. It further contains antibacterial activities, which may help combat bacteria.
After reading the article “What Your Acne Locations Says About Your Health”, hope that it will be helpful for you. For other such articles, you can go to our main News & Facts page. Also, feel free to share your thoughts, views or queries with us by leaving your comment in the box below.
All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.