In daily life, there is a typical kind of fungal infection existing under your toenail or fingernail in various forms such as white or yellow spots on your nail’s tips. Onychomycosis or nail fungus is a fungal infection of the nails. This kind of fungus can be found on both your toenail and fingernail, but mostly be seen on toenail because the environment there is considered convenient to allow the fungus, especially fungus group called dermatophytes, to develop vastly after a short time. Many different types of fungus can lead to onychomycosis, including Fusarium and dermatophytes. Risk factors of a fungal nail infection include other nail diseases, athlete's foot, poor immune function, and peripheral vascular disease. In case you have to suffer from the fungus, your nail will fade away and turn yellow, which can cause irritating symptoms such as swelling, inflammation, thickening, crumbling nail, pain or dull without shine. Nail fungus can cause so much inconvenience for the sufferers. You can try out these best natural home remedies for nail fungus in this article to combat the infection quickly without a relapse. Besides, following these natural solutions is the best way to protect your nail and the surrounding parts from being ruined.
- Top 7 effective solutions to remove nail fungus
- Top 10 easy ways to get rid of toenail fungus
- 13 best home remedies for foot fungus
- Top 10 Effective Ways To Stop Nail Biting Habit In Adults & Toddlers. (This article was medically/fact checked by Robi Ludwig, Psy.D., LCSW.)
Top 16 Natural Home Remedies For Nail Fungus Removal
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Considered among the most effective home remedies for nail fungus removal, apple cider vinegar is widely used by most of the fungus patients.
According to Dr. Josh Axe from Exodus Health Center, ACV is a precious ingredient while not too luxurious to keep in your house. It not only deals with skin problems or balance the pH in the body but also takes control of blood level or support the weight loss process. It is also full of anti-fungal properties, which may treat nail fungus effectively. Besides, ACV contains acidic components, which can prevent the fungus from spreading to other parts. Along with that, it can remove dead skin cells and get rid of fungi and bacteria quickly.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Take two equal parts of ACV and water and mix them well.
- You can also mix one part of Epsom salts with one part of ACV and 6 parts of hot water, and wait till it gets cooler.
- Soak your nails in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- After done, you dry your nails thoroughly.
- Repeat this process every day for at least 4 weeks to see a better result.
- Take some ground rice flour and mix it with few teaspoons of ACV.
- Stir it well and use the paste to apply to the affected nails.
- Scrub the paste gently to get rid of the damaged skin.
- Continue the process for several weeks.
2. Baking Soda
Bacteria will need an acidic environment to develop, and baking soda appears to prevent them from flourishing as it can create an uninhabited environment for them. It possesses strong antifungal effects that may combat the fungal properties causing infections like onychomycosis.
- Wash your hands clean with soap and hot water and keep them dry.
- Mix water and baking soda in the ratio 1:2 to make a paste.
- Take a cotton swab to apply this paste to the affected nails and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, rinse the paste off and pat the nail dry.
- Reapply this method regularly 2 times per day.
- You mix enough amount of water with baking soda until the liquid is completely blended.
- Soak your affected nails in the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Pat them dry thoroughly.
- Repeat the process 2 times per day.
- Mix equal parts of baking soda with sodium borate powder with enough water to create a paste.
- Humidify your feet or hands and apply the paste to the infected nails.
- Repeat this process 2 times daily for at least two weeks for quick effects.
3. Epsom Salt & Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is effective in empowering the defense of cell walls in plants to stop fungi from penetrating through them. Also, the antifungal effects of hydrogen peroxide may help fight the fungi causing nail fungus.
- You take ½ cup of Epsom salt to mix with ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix it with 4 cups of hot water and ¼ cup of white vinegar.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and place it on the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Reapply this method 2 times daily for many weeks.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the effective natural treatments for nail fungus. A 2013 study found that tea tree oil was beneficial for lowering the growth of the fungus T. rubrum in nail infections. Trichophyton rubrum is a fungus, which can lead to infections such as nail fungus and athlete’s foot and. Improvements were seen after two weeks. It is a natural disinfectant, which contains a high number of antiseptic and fungicidal components. These properties are seen to get away with fungus symptoms quickly . Additionally, antibacterial properties can help to treat skin disorders, get rid of the pain, and ward off the fungus and microbes effectively.
- Prepare a cotton ball with some tea tree oil.
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil on the cotton ball.
- Apply it to the fungus nail and rub gently in 10 minutes.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub tea tree oil on the nail.
- Lessen the strength of oil by mixing tea tree oil with equal amount of thyme or olive oil.
Pour 4-5 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl of water and soak your affected nail in the solution. Reapply the process twice a day.
- Take a small and an equal amount of olive and tea tree oil and mix them well.
- Stir it well and use this mixture to rub gently on the affected nail with a cotton ball.
- Let it sit there for a few minutes and wash it off your nail with water.
- Dry the nail thoroughly and repeat the method regularly 2 times each day.
- Mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of grapeseed oil and ½ teaspoon of orange oil.
- Mix it well and soak a clean cotton ball in it for a few minutes.
- Squeeze the soaked cotton ball and let the mixture fall down gently on the affected nail.
- Allow the liquid to dry naturally on your nail and reapply the recipe every day.
5. Orange Oil
Orange oil is one of the most effective natural home remedies for nail fungus. This oil contains a large number of anti-fungal properties, which may be beneficial for treating nail fungus . For this treatment, you need to use a dropper to apply orange oil in between your toes or fingernail. Let the oil penetrate the affected skin for at least one hour.
Note: Orange oil may take a strong effect on sensitive skin. If you are of this situation, it is suggested that you should dilute the oil with another natural carrier such as olive oil or grapeseed oil with the ratio 1:1. Moreover, citrus allergies are a common symptom, so you should test orange oil on skin first to make sure your skin is still healthy after being applied this kind of oil.
6. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is a natural fungicide and antiseptic. It also has a high number of helpful components such as antiviral, antibacterial, antiparasitic content, and analgesic properties like carvacrol and thymol. Oregano oil also contains powerful antifungal properties, which can help relieve a fungal nail infection symptom by destroying its root cause.
- Mix one teaspoon each of olive oil with oregano oil.
- Stir it well and apply the solution to the affected nail area.
- Let it sit there for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the oil off with water and dry your toe and finger completely.
- Reapply this method twice a day for many weeks to see an improvement on your nail.
7. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has antifungal compounds, which may make it a great remedy for simple fungal nail (both toenail and fingernail). Also, lavender is enriched with volatile and antiseptic properties, which can help to struggle with the infection, thereby easing the irritation on the nail.
Before hitting the bed, you can drop some drops of lavender oil on the fungal nail. Leave the oil there to penetrate through the fungus overnight. To keep the oil in place, wrap the treated nail with wool socks for feet and bandages for the fingernail. Make sure the socks you use are not made from fibers because it can make the situation even worse.
- Prepare two equal amounts of tea tree oil and lavender oil.
- Mix these oils well and make it warm.
- Dip a clean cotton ball in this solution.
- Before your bedtime, use the soaked cotton ball to dab it gently on the fungal nail and the surrounding parts.
- Leave it to sit there for overnight. With the fingernail, protect it by wrapping it with that cotton ball fixed with a gauze and use woolen socks for toenail.
- Repeat the method at least 3-5 days until you notice an improvement in the nail fungus situation.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil possesses a compound called monolaurin, which contains antifungal properties. This property can help to relieve the symptoms of nail fungus. It is comprised of medium-chain fatty acids that work as natural fungicides appearing on the fat layer of fungal membrane, then resulting in the fungus mitigation and cell disintegration. As a result, it wards off fungus completely.
- Drop a few drops of coconut oil on your hands.
- Apply this kind of oil directly to the fungus nail and then massage gently.
- Allow the oil to penetrate the affected nail and let it dry naturally.
- But before applying this method, don't forget to wash your hand clearly and let it dry first.
- Reapply the methods at least 2-3 times per day until you realize the positive result on your nail.
9. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is seen to defeat the fungus and even the most stubborn symptoms, so it is not strange to call it a natural antibiotic because it can fight against nearly all kinds of bacteria, fungus, virus, or protozoa. Olive leaf extract can be used to deal with fungus problems, such as tinea and Candida. It is also an ultimate choice to treat fungus fingernail or toenail fungus thanks to its antifungal properties. Apart from warding off all the fungus on your nail, it will help to detoxify and cleanse your body, helping you to gain full energy and less likely to catch some common health problems such as flu and colds. With olive leaf extract, you can either apply the extract directly to the infected area or use the capsules orally, and then repeat regularly for several days.
10. Garlic Oil
Garlic is not only famous for its capability to treat some health problems such as a cough and headache but also a wonderful treatment of such infections like fungus nail. Garlic has ajoene and allicin, which contain antifungal properties. These properties may help deal with severe fungus situation.
Follow the below instruction to get a healthier nail.
- Prepare some garlic cloves to extract their oil.
- Take an amount of garlic oil with the same amount of white vinegar and mix them.
- Apply this mixture directly to your fungal nail and wrap the treated area with a clean bandage.
- This method will help to weaken the activity of fungus in a short time.
- Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the crushed garlic.
- Leave the solution steep for some minutes and then apply it to the infected nail directly.
- Do not touch the area to let the mixture penetrate into the infected nail thoroughly.
- You can also take some garlic to eat, which can help to deal with nail fungus.
11. Turmeric Powder
If you are suffering from the cracked nail and bad smell coming from it, then you should try using turmeric powder. It is virtually one of the most powerful antiseptic and antifungal agents. It also has a great impact on human health, such as protecting you from skin problem or keeping you stay away from cancer disease. In treating nail fungus, turmeric powder is considered effective enough to eradicate fungi completely and bring to your nail the stable strength .
- Prepare some high-quality ground turmeric.
- Make a paste by mixing it with some water or fresh lemon juice.
- Apply it directly to your affected nail.
- Apply this paste once to twice per day as long as you can see an improvement in the situation.
- Reapply it every day, and if needed, keep the turmeric paste on your nail for a whole day. This can help to boost the healing process of the damaged nail while warding off the fungus thoroughly.
Besides being a great supplement for your body which contains billions of good bacteria to empower the immune system and when you consume yogurt, such bacteria will act like protective soldiers to keep you safe from thousands of bad bacteria. It is also an essential element in treating outside-body problems, including nail fungus. Yogurt is enriched with a high content of Lactobacillus acidophilus, which is extremely beneficial in combating with nail fungus, especially such infections caused by the exposure to the wet environment, yeast, or mold . To take the highest effect from yogurt, remember to purchase plain or unsweetened kind, which contains live culture to promote the treatment and healing process on toenail and fingernail fungus.
All you need to do is using a cotton swab to apply yogurt directly to the area of the affected nail. Let it sit there and allow the yogurt dry naturally. When it is dried, after about 30 minutes, you rinse off the crusted yogurt patches from your nail using tepid water. Reapply this process at least three times each day, and then you will see an obvious improvement in your nail’s health.
13. Mustard Powder
The mustard powder comes with antifungal properties, so it is highly recommended to treat with the severe situation of nail fungus.
- Prepare a teaspoon of mustard powder.
- Put it in a shallow basin filled with tepid water.
- Stir it well and soak your affected fungal feet in this solution for at least 30 minutes.
- You should take this treatment every morning and night before going to bed until you realize the better improvement on your nail.
- If you cannot prepare mustard powder, use some mustard oil instead. It also takes the same effect with powder.
14. Snakeroot Extract
Snakeroot, commonly known as the alternative of Ageratina pichinchensis plant, is among the highly effective natural home remedies for nail fungus. It may help soothe the symptoms of nail fungus without leaving any serious side effects.
Before making use of snakeroot, you should remember to keep your finger and toenail clean by trimming or thin it if possible. This action can reduce the pain and pressure during the treatment and allow the product to penetrate deeply into your nail. Scraping your nail’s top also helps to enhance the effect of your remedy as they will get deeper into your layers of fingernails and toenails.
For this treatment, You mix some snakeroot extract with several drops of water. Then, apply this mixture to the affected nail and wash it off after 30-60 minutes. Reuse this remedy twice every day for best results.
15. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil is commonly used to eliminate the irritating smell from the fungal nail and provide your hands with soft sensation and mild scent.
The oil, additionally, is proved to remove nail fungus thoroughly after a short period of time thanks to its high number of antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic compounds  . It can also take control well some symptoms such as crumbling, fragility or distortion on your toenail and fingernail.
You can either apply the pure oil directly to the affected area or mix it with another suitable carrier oil.
If your skin is not sensitive and allergic to this kind of oil, you can rub the oil directly on the nail and massage it gently about three times per day.
- Remember to wash your hands thoroughly before taking this method.
- Take 12 drops of lemongrass oil to mix with 1 ounce of carrier oil
- Apply it to your fungal nail.
- Alternatively, you can drink lemongrass tea usually 3 times per day.
16. Listerine Mouthwash
Listerine mouthwash is not just for the mouth but for treating nail fungus removal as well. You all know that Listerine contains strong proponents, which can kill bacteria or leftover in your mouth and bring about comfortable sensation for the user. Furthermore, it acts as a potent antibacterial agent, which may help get rid of nail fungus.
Mix 30-50 ml of Listerine mouthwash with two cups of hot or warm water and then soak your toe in there for 30 minutes once a day. Because it is a strong antiseptic, Listerine will kill the fungus immediately.
Mix Listerine with vinegar or some undiluted lemon juice. Stir them well and soak your feet there for 10-15 minutes every day. After a period of time, your situation will be improved thoroughly.
Once you start following these home remedies for nail fungus, you will see your condition improving gradually in no time. If they do not, it is best to consult your doctor immediately. Have any more doubts or queries about this condition? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments box below.