What Is A Yeast Infection?
Before presenting about the best home remedies for yeast infection, you should know what exactly a yeast infection is. Yeast infection might be found on the skin, in the vagina, mouth, and so on. The reason why people have a yeast infection is the under controlled growth of a few fungi Candida albicans, especially C. glabrata. In addition, stress, lack of sleep, pregnancy are the reasons causing yeast infections. Some signs of a yeast infection that you can find are burning, itching, and swelling in or around the infection area. So do you want to treat a yeast infection? If your answer is “yes,” go on reading this article. Effective Remedies will show you the best home remedies for this condition that work well in both women and men.
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
- Most Effective Home Remedies for Oral Thrush in Adults & Babies
- 20 Most Effective Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis
- How To Prevent Bacterial Vaginosis Naturally & Effectively
17 Most Effective Home Remedies For Yeast Infection In Women & Men
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the effective home remedies for yeast infection is using apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar, better than white vinegar, includes some distinctive components that may help to control yeast infection and reduce the fungi causing it. A 2018 study found that apple cider vinegar can help to prevent the growth of Candida albicans thanks to its antimicrobial properties.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Apple cider vinegar (it is murky brown)
- Warm water
- Combine 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of warm water
- Mix well
- Drink it twice a day.
- Keep drinking it for a few days
- Apple cider vinegar
- A bath
- First, prepare a hot bath
- Then add some drops of vinegar
- Next soak in the bath for about one hour
In addition, you can follow this solution. Firstly, you dilute the apple cider vinegar with water. After that, apply it to the affected skin area. Finally, wash off with water after leaving it on for about 15-20 minutes.
2. Coconut Oil
A good home remedy for candida is using coconut oil. It might kill fungi that are responsible for candida thanks to its antifungal properties. The lab study of “In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria” published in the Journal of Medicinal Food in 2007 showed that coconut oil helped to kill a bad species of yeast. According to the researchers, the C. Albicans strain is one of the most susceptible species to the concentrated coconut oil. In this study, the used amount of coconut oil was less than fluconazole to kill the yeast. Fluconazole is considered an antifungal medication often recommended treating yeast infections. According to a study, coconut oil helps to fight Candida species at 100% concentration as compared to fluconazole. Coconut oil has also been found to fight the Candida albicans yeast.
- Mix the coconut oil with cinnamon oil at a ratio of 1:1
- Apply the mixture to your affected area
- Leave it on till it is dry
- Do this daily to see the result
- Swish the coconut oil in your mouth from 5 to 10 minutes (oil pulling)
- Don’t swallow
- Do this process three times per day to treat oral thrush
To get the best result, you can add some drops of cinnamon oil or tea tree oil.
Garlic is a famous herb used to treat many ailments. Garlic contains antifungal, antibiotic, and antibacterial properties, which makes it effective in treating any type of yeast infections.
A 2005 study titled “Allyl alcohol and garlic (Allium sativum) extract produce oxidative stress in Candida Albicans” published in the Microbiology Society Journal concluded that garlic helped to kill and inhibit the development of Candida Albicans. This study concluded that garlic extracts are more effective in protecting against the infection than the whole garlic cloves or some other forms of garlic.
Here are some easy ways to use garlic as a home remedy for candida:
- Mash some garlic cloves to make a paste. Rub it on the yeast infection area. Wait for some minutes. Wash off with water. You should do this twice a day.
- Use garlic oil instead of fresh garlic. Dilute it with vitamin E oil. Add some drops coconut oil. Then, apply the mixture to the affected area daily. Leave it on for some minutes. Do this daily.
- Or, you can eat garlic cloves every day or take two garlic tablets daily. However, you will have bad breath when eating fresh garlic.
4. Boric Acid
It is one of the chemical substances with antifungal and mild antiseptic properties. So it is considered one of the best home remedies for yeast infection treatment. A study of “Prevalence of Candida glabrata and its response to boric acid vaginal suppositories in comparison with oral fluconazole in patients with diabetes and vulvovaginal candidiasis” published in the journal Diabetes Care in 2007 has found that boric acid vaginal suppositories seemed to be more effective in protecting against the candida symptoms in diabetic females than an oral azole drug.
- Make a dilution of boric acid and water
- Apply the mixture over your affected skin
- Let dry in a few minutes
- Wash off with water
- Go on doing this every day for two weeks
Note: Pregnant women are not recommended to use this.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Another effective home remedy for treating a yeast infection is using tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has potent antifungal properties. According to the study of “In-vitro activity of essential oils, in particular Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil and tea tree oil products, against Candida spp.” published in the “Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy” in 1998, a type of gel containing 10% tea tree oil had an ability to kill Candida Albicans effectively.
In 2001, the British Journal of Biomedical Science published another study titled “In vitro activity of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil against bacterial and Candida spp. isolates from clinical specimens.” This study found that 11 isolates were very susceptible to tea tree oil. One concentration of 1% tea tree essential oil is able to kill the 11 isolates of the Candida used in this study.
- Some drops of tea tree oil
- A little olive oil or almond oil or water
- Dilute the tea tree oil with water or almond oil or olive oil
- Scuff the mixture over your affected area many times a day.
- Do this daily until you get the best results
If you have a vaginal yeast infection, you should follow this recipe:
- Pour some drops tea tree oil to a tampon
- Then insert to your vagina about two or three hours
- Keep doing this twice a day and make sure you do it every day
Note: Pregnant women should not use this home remedy to treat yeast infection because some properties in tea tree oil are harmful to the fetus
6. Oil Of Oregano
Oregano oil might fight against the yeast because of its antifungal and antibacterial components . It may boost your immune system up to struggle with the organisms, which cause a yeast infection. The Journal of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry published a study conducted on 12 rats injected with Candida Albicans. All six of the rats fed oregano oil survived more than 1 month with no symptoms of Candida infection, while six rats fed olive oil died within 7 days.
- Dilute a little of oregano oil with olive oil
- Then apply the mixture to your affected area
- Do this twice a day
- Keep doing this daily
If you don’t have oregano oil, you can take one or two oregano capsules twice a day to get the best result.
To treat a yeast infection, we can use this kind of herb – calendula. With anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties, calendula may be used to treat yeast infection effectively.
- Crush two or three calendula leaves gently
- Then apply it over your yeast infection area
- Do this at least twice a day
- Repeat it every day
In case, you do not have calendula leaves, use calendula ointment or lotion. Sometimes, you can use calendula tea instead. Remember that you can’t use the calendula tea when you are pregnant.
8. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is one of the effective home remedies for yeast infections because of its anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antioxidant, and antiviral properties. It might retrieve good bacteria to our bodies. A study published in the Current Drug Targets Journal in 2013 found that Hydroxytyrosol, also known as an antioxidant compound of the olive leaves shows antifungal activity to protect against Candida Albicans. Hydroxytyrosol caused significant damage to the cell walls and inhibition of the germ-tube formation to prevent Candida from feeding. The study also indicated that Hydroxytyrosol has a considerable antifungal activity that might protect against medically important yeasts.
- Fresh olive leaves
- Two jars with a lid
- Cut some fresh olive leaves
- Put them into the jar
- Pour vodka into the jar until it covers the leaves
- Close the lid
- Put the jar in a dark place for 4 weeks
- Percolate the liquid to another jar
- Apply the liquid over the yeast infection area
- Do this three times a day and do every day to get the best results
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is called a king of natural home remedy land. We all know the usefulness of aloe vera in treating skin problems, which includes a yeast infection. According to the study of “Aloe vera extract reduces both growth and germ tube formation by Candida Albicans” published in the Mycoses Journal in 2012, the extract of fresh aloe vera leaves may inhibit the germ tube formation and the growth of Candida Albicans.
Here are some solutions to using aloe vera to treat a yeast infection:
- Mix the aloe vera juice with another natural juice or water. Then, drink this liquid every day. Doing this solution may help to stay away from toxins, improve your immune system, and fight yeast infection.
- In addition, you can make aloe vera gel from leaves. Apply this gel directly and gently to your yeast infection. Doing it twice a day and applying it daily will relieve yeast infection.
- Besides, mixing the aloe vera gel with water also is a good solution. Firstly, put some drops of the gel of aloe vera into a little water. Then mix well. Apply it to the affected skin. Then, let it dry. Finally, wash off with water and dry again carefully. You can do this twice or three times per day and repeat to do every day.
As follows, there are some other home remedies you might apply to treat your yeast infection issue.
10. Baking Soda
As you know, baking soda is a wonderful fungus and yeast killer thanks to its antifungal properties. Or we can say baking soda is one of the great natural home remedies for yeast infection. According to a recent study in the “Saudi Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences” in 2015, baking soda may kill Candida Albicans effectively. The study also found that a low concentration of baking soda didn’t do much to slow the growth of this yeast. Nevertheless, when one concentration of 20 g of baking soda in the solvent (200 ml) was introduced to this yeast; after eight hours of contact, the cells of this yeast were killed. Moreover, the researchers stated that this killing ability fully manifested after 8 hours. According to a 2014 study, baking soda may help to kill Candida cells that result in yeast infections.
- Baking soda
- Natural salt (optional)
- Mix a half teaspoon baking soda with a glass of water
- Drink it twice a day in 2 weeks on the empty stomach
- Have a rest in 2 weeks
- After a rest, continue the process
- Do it for 3 months to see the result
One of the other natural home remedies for yeast infection is using rosemary. It is a wonderful herb, which has anti-inflammatory properties that help to kill the yeast. It is the best choice that should be placed on the affected skin area, whenever it is burning or itching.
- Put some rosemary leaves to the hot water to make tea
- Let it steep for about 5 or 10 minutes
- Leave it cool and percolate the rosemary
- Dip a cotton ball on the tea
- Apply it to your affected area
- Do this 4 times a day
- Repeat daily
When it comes to home remedies for yeast infection, honey should be one of them. The fact shows that honey(preferably raw) not only has antiviral and antibacterial properties    but also contains very good bacteria, which aids in curing the yeast infection.
The researchers at the Sohag University in Egypt conducted an article titled “Bee-honey and yogurt: a novel mixture for treating patients with vulvovaginal candidiasis during pregnancy” and found that a great mixture of honey and yogurt was more effective in curing yeast infections than some other antifungal therapies.
- Spread an amount of honey over the affected area
- Then let it saturate
- Leave it on for about 10 or 15 minutes (even as long as possible)
- Take a shower or a bath to clean it
- Repeat this until all the symptoms are gone.
13. Grapefruit Seed Extract
One of the helpful home remedies for yeast infection is grapefruit seed extract. The antifungal properties in grapefruit seed will fight the growth of yeast, which causes infection. According to the Polish study of “Effects of 33% grapefruit extract on the growth of the yeast – like fungi, dermatophytes and moulds” published in the journal of Wiadomości Parazytologiczne in 2001, a 33 % grapefruit extract contains a potent antifungal properties that help the patients with candida symptoms to protect against Candida Albicans strains. The antifungal properties of grapefruit extract help to fight candida infections by killing the cells of yeast. According to a review in 2015, grapefruit seed extract is listed as a plant with anti-candida activity.
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Mineral water
- A cotton ball
- Bring two cups of water
- Add five or ten drops grapefruit seed extract to it
- Mix everything well till it dissolves
- Use it to wash off the vaginal area. But for the affected area around, use a cotton ball, dip it into the mixture then apply to your yeast infection area.
- Remember do this 2 to 3 times per day
Note: You should not try using this solution during pregnancy and menstruation.
14. Slippery Elm Powder
Slippery elm powder is also one of the natural home remedies for yeast infection you can try applying. It helps to relieve the irritation. According to a mini review, slippery Elm listed as an herbal remedy used in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis.
- Slippery elm powder
- Frozen aloe vera juice
- A cotton pad
- Add some water to the slippery elm powder
- Then make the paste
- Apply the paste to your affected skin.
- If you have a vaginal yeast infection, add some frozen aloe vera juice to the powder. Dip the pad in it then put it on the vagina.
- Do this every day to get a better result
15. Thyme Tea
Thyme tea is known as one of the herbal home remedies for yeast infection. It is a great source of vitamin C. It also helps to remove the nutritional imbalance from your body. In addition, it helps to arrest the overgrowth of fungi. In 2010, the Iranian Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research published a study titled “Investigating the therapeutic effect of vaginal cream containing garlic and thyme compared to clotrimazole cream for the treatment of mycotic vaginitis”. The researchers compared a cream containing clotrimazole, an antifungal cream, to another cream containing thyme and garlic. They found that the effectiveness of the thyme and garlic cream was equal to the clotrimazole cream.
- Boil a cup of water in a few minutes
- Add a teaspoon of dried thyme in
- Let it cool in a few minutes
- Drink from 1 to 4 cups a day so that you can get rid of the yeast infection quickly
One of other effective and useful home remedies for yeast infection is using echinacea. The U.S. National Library of Medicine stated that echinacea is possibly effective in preventing vaginal yeast infections if used with the cream econazole. The use of Echinacea combined with econazole helped to reduce the recurrence rate of the infections from 60.5% to 16%.
The author of the book named “The Green Pharmacy” Dr. James A. Duke, Ph.D., recommends using echinacea as a natural treatment for yeast infections. He believed that the immune stimulating action of echinacea might help the white blood cells attack and kill the microscopic fungus causing yeast infections. He also cites a study conducted on mice where using echinacea successfully kept them away from Candida Albicans.
- Pour half of teaspoon Echinacea tincture into a half of a cup of water
- Mix well
- Drink it 4 times per day
- Do this every day in 2 weeks
However, it may cause some side effects; so, you should go to the doctor for his/ her advice before using this method to treat yeast infection.
17. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a common home remedy for treating yeast infection too. It can kill yeast effectively. In 2003, the Journal of Minerva ginecologica published the study of “Utilisation of hydrogen peroxide in the treatment of recurrent bacterial vaginosis” that included 58 women at the age of 18 to 42. These women irrigated their vagina with 30 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the evening for 1 week. After 3 months of treatment, the results show that using hydrogen peroxide may remove the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis in the vagina.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Baking soda (if you want to treat oral yeast infection)
- First, add a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide into a cup of water
- Mix well
- Wash your vagina with the mixture every day. But just do it once a day
If you want to treat your oral yeast infection, please follow this:
- Mix hydrogen peroxide with water. Then wash your mouth with this mixture
- Dilute the hydrogen peroxide with baking soda. Add the mixture to your antifungal toothpaste. Finally, brush your teeth with this toothpaste.
Tips To Prevent Yeast Infection:
- Have the best diet and exercise regularly
- Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits
- Drink more water, at least 2 liters per day
- Avoid eating foods high in sugar
- Avoid drinking alcohol and beer
- Get a lot of good bacteria; for example, probiotics
- Avoid contracting with medications and chemicals
- Address the psychological and emotional issues
- Avoid wearing tight leggings, pantyhose or pants
- Avoid wearing underwear with other people
- Wash underwear by hot water
- Avoid sitting around in bathing suits
- Stay away from stress
- Stay away from birth control pill
- Practice good personal hygiene
- Have a bath after sex
If you want to know more about home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article, we hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your yeast infection easily and quickly. However, the article is only for informational purposes; therefore, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any home remedy. If you have any questions, or you know other effective home remedies for yeast infection on women and men's skin, please leave them below.