Hair is very important for our looks. Therefore, we spend so much effort, time, and money on finding the most suitable hairstyle for your face. However, we also have to face to face with many hair problems such as hair loss, hair thinning, excess oil or dry scalp, etc. There are many ways of making your hair grow faster at home by using home remedies with natural ingredients, including herbs, vegetable and fruit mixture, and others. In this article, EffectiveRemedies.com will show you the best natural home remedies for hair growth and strength fast. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
- Everything you need to know about hair loss
- Natural home remedies for hair fall
- How to grow thick hair
Top 40 Natural Home Remedies For Hair Growth And Strength Fast
This herb contains antioxidant properties which boost up the hair growth. It also has sulfur and silica that may help you to reduce hair loss.
In “The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy” book, the author – Valerie Ann Worwood recommends using rosemary oil for hair regrowth. Worwood found that rosemary oil helped to dilate blood vessels and stimulate cell division, which would promote hair follicles to produce new hair regrowth.
When applied to the scalp, this oil encourages hair growth by increasing cellular metabolism. According to a 2013 study about “Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract” done at the Kinki University in Japan, the extract of rosemary leaves improves hair regrowth in mice with testosterone-induced hair regrowth interruption.
In 2015, the SKINmed Journal published a human study that looked into the clinical effectiveness of using rosemary oil in treating androgenetic alopecia. People with androgenetic alopecia were given rosemary oil or 2 % minoxidil for six months. Minoxidil is used as a medication to stimulate hair regrowth and delay the balding.
After six months, patients reported a significant increase in their hair count. However, the patient in the minoxidil group experienced scalp itching more frequently. So, this study proves that using rosemary oil is as effective as medications for hair growth, with less adverse effects, including scalp itching.
- Take 2 drops of rosemary oil and mix it with 2 tablespoons of oil such as jojoba, coconut, almond or avocado oil.
- Stir them well to have a mixture and apply it to your hair.
- Massage your scalp gently and wait for at least 30 minutes so that this mixture can be absorbed to your scalp.
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly with clean water or your favorite shampoo
- Put 2 or 3 rosemary sprigs in 2 cups of hot water.
- Allow them to steep for about 5 minutes. If you use dried rosemary, you have to take a handful of it and then boil it in water.
- Let it cool down and strain the water.
- Rinse your hair with this rosemary water after shampooing.
You can use both these home remedies for hair growth several times per week to help your hair grow better and faster.
2. Potato Juice
Potato is high in vitamin A, B, and C that are necessary for the healthy hair. It can be applied even though you are suffering from alopecia. It is also abundant in iron, zinc, and niacin, which are effective at nourishing hair follicles and promoting hair growth.
- Cut a big fresh potato into slices.
- Use a blender to grind these slices until they form a consistent mixture.
- Put this mixture in a clean cloth, wrap it, and then squeeze to get the potato juice.
- Apply this juice directly to your scalp and massage it gently.
- Allow it to stay on your scalp for about 15 minutes before washing off with mild shampoo
Remedy 2: Potato Juice, Egg, And Honey
- Grind 3 or 4 potatoes and squeeze them to get the juice.
- Apply this juice to your scalp and massage it gently for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with clean water.
If you have dry hair, you may try applying this remedy
You will need:
- 3 potatoes
- Egg yolk from 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Grind the potatoes and squeeze them to get the potato juice.
- Add the honey, egg yolk to this juice and stir them well to make a potato hair mask.
- Apply the mask to your scalp and allow it to sit for at least half an hour.
- Rinse off with the mild shampoo and water.
3. Henna Pack
Henna is good for the growth of your hair. It can transfer dull and dry hair into smooth and shiny hair and add color to your hair. Henna may promote hair growth by making your hair roots stronger.
According to a 2015 pharmacognosy study, “Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is prescribed as hair and beard colorant”. In the beginning, the patients with baldness experienced sparse hair growth and lighter color. After 1 or 2 years, they report thicker hair and darker color.
- Take ½ cup of yogurt, 1 cup of dry henna powder, and mix them well to get a fine paste.
- Rub it on your hair from the scalp to the hair tip.
- Let it be in place until this paste dries off completely and wash off with your mild shampoo.
- Keep using this paste regularly, and you will have long hair.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil is helpful for hair growth and for fighting against hair loss or baldness. This oil is high in vitamin E and omega-9 fatty acids that may moisturize your hair, add volume, and fight scalp infections.
The study of “Prostaglandin D2 Inhibits Hair Growth and Is Elevated in Bald Scalp of Men with Androgenetic Alopecia” in 2012 involves inhibiting a compound like a hormone called prostaglandin D2 (PGD2). This study finds that the levels of PGD2 in the scalps of bald men higher than men who aren’t balding. Castor oil contains an ingredient called ricinoleic acid.
One study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology in 2015 has also noted that ricinoleic acid is effective in inhibiting PGD2, which means the hair count is more significant.
- Combine castor oil with base oil at an equal ratio to get a consistent mixture.
- Rub it on the scalp and massage gently.
- Leave it on for about 30 to 45 minutes before rinsing it off with the mild shampoo.
- To get a better effect, you should mix 4 drops of rosemary oil in 1 ounce of castor oil and apply it to your scalp and hair.
Eggs are high in protein and biotin, and thereby they are beneficial in making your hair grow better. Hair follicles are mostly made of protein, so eating enough protein is vital for hair growth. Consuming more biotin may also help stimulate hair growth in those with a biotin deficiency.
- Take 2 egg yolks and mix them well in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and wait for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water and shampoo the hair as usual.
- Mix 1 egg with 1/4 cup of plain yogurt and mayonnaise.
- Put them in a blender and blend until they turn into a fine paste.
- Apply this hair paste to your hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Allow it to stay on there for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Simply take 1 or 2 eggs and stir them well.
- Apply it to your scalp and massage it gently.
- Cover your head with a towel and allow it to sit there for about an hour.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo
You will need:
- Egg white from 1 to 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix the egg white, honey, and olive oil well to make a hair mask.
- Rub this mask directly on your scalp and cover your hair with a towel.
- Rinse off after 15 to 20 minute with a mild shampoo
6. Cayenne Pepper
The irritation on your scalp will help you to increase the blood flow to your head that makes your hair grow more quickly. And cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that may help you to get this irritation. It is also beneficial for stimulating dormant hair follicles, which in turn helps increase hair thickness and volume.
According to the University of Utah Health Care library, cayenne pepper is considered a rubefacient, a substance that boosts blood flow when used topically on the skin. This provides strong information that cayenne pepper aids in increasing blood flow to the human scalp. Therefore, maybe it can make the hair grow more quickly! For better results, you should do it regularly.
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of pepper powder
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Put the olive oil into a saucepan on the heat.
- Combine this oil with the cayenne pepper powder and stir them well for a few minutes to avoid clumping.
- After it becomes hotter, you take it out of the heat and allow it to cool for a while.
- Apply it to your hair scalp and massage it gently.
- Keep waiting for about 3 hours or overnight and wash it off with shampoo.
- Apply this process regularly to help grow your hair better.
7. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is high in vitamin C and antioxidants that will help stimulate your hair growth and improve its pigmentation. It is also high in antioxidants, which help keep follicles and hair healthy by combating free radical damage.
You will need:
- 2 teaspoons of Indian gooseberry
- 2 teaspoon of lime juice
- Mix the gooseberry well with lime juice to make it be a consistent mixture completely.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and allow it to dry for a few minutes.
- After it becomes dry, you wash it off with lukewarm water.
Keep using this process before you shampoo, and you will see an improvement on your hair soon.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of dried Indian gooseberry
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Put the dried gooseberry in the coconut oil and boil them.
- After it boils for a few minutes, you take it out of the heat and remove the dried gooseberry.
- Use this oil to massage your scalp before sleeping.
- In the next morning, shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo and keep applying this way for 2 times a week to get the best results.
8. Green Tea
The study of “Human hair growth enhancement in vitro by green tea epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG)” showed that EGCG in green tea might help to prevent or treat alopecia by selectively inhibiting the activity of the 5 alpha-reductase. However, more reports looked at the effects of EGCG on hair growth on human are needed.
- Apply the warm green tea to your scalp.
- Allow it to stay for about an hour before washing off with cool water.
- Use this remedy to replace the usual shampoo, and you will see an amazing change on your hair
9. Lemon Juice
Lemon contains a lot of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, vitamin C, folic acid, and many other nutrients. Also, lemon has antioxidants and thereby, it not only promotes your hair growth but also give you a smooth, shiny, and non-dandruff hair. It can also stimulate circulation to prevent hair loss. However, you do not apply lemon juice in excess because it can make your hair color light over time.
- Mix lemon juice with coconut or olive oil at a ratio of 1:2.
- Stir them well and apply it to your scalp and hair.
- Let it stay on your head for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Wash it off and use a mild shampoo to shampoo your hair.
- Keep repeating this process once or twice per week to get the result.
10. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds have many nutrients and vitamins which are beneficial for growing your hair. In a pilot study published in the Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications in 2015, researchers divided 20 patients with hair loss into two groups in which a group was treated with a lotion containing 0.5 % Nigella sativa (also called black cumin) daily for 3 months, and the other was treated with placebo on a daily basis for 3 months. The results showed that 70% of patients treated with the black cumin had a significant improvement in their hair density and hair thickness.
You will need:
- Soak the cumin seeds in castor or olive oil for overnight.
- In the next morning, strain the oil and remove the cumin seeds.
- Apply this oil directly to your hair and scalp and wait for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo
Fenugreek is considered as one of the widely used home remedies for hair growth. It may accelerate your hair growth and protect the natural color of hair . The phytoestrogen in fenugreek seeds is believed to enhance the process of hair growth.
You will need:
- Fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons of coconut milk
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for 4 to 5 hours and grind them by mixing with a little water to make a fine paste.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of this fenugreek paste well with coconut milk.
- Apply this mixture to your hair.
- After 30 minutes, wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Keep repeating this process as you need
- Soak 2 or 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water for 7 hours or overnight.
- After soaking these seeds, you grind them to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste thoroughly to your scalp and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water or the fenugreek seed water.
12. Hibiscus Flower
Hibiscus is truly considered as the “flower of hair care.” It is used for healing dandruff and promoting hair growth. Besides, it can make your hair thicker and prevent premature aging.
A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology in 2003 looked at the petroleum ether extract of flowers and leaves of hibiscus rosa-sinensis for its effects on hair growth. The results showed that the extract of hibiscus leaves when compared to the extract of hibiscus flowers, offers more effects on hair growth.
- Mix the hibiscus flower with sesame oil or coconut oil and grind them to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste directly to your hair.
- Wait for about 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing off with a mild shampoo.
Garlic is effective at easing the shedding of your hair. It can boost up the new hair regeneration and promote the scalp circulation. You may apply this way as one of the best home remedies for hair growth.
According to a study of “Combination of topical garlic gel and betamethasone valerate cream in the treatment of localized alopecia areata: a double-blind randomized controlled study” in the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venerology, and Leprology in 2007, adding garlic significantly improves the treatment of alopecia areata, a type of hair loss. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease causing hair to automatically fall out.
The present study also showed that using garlic gel significantly adds to the therapeutic effectiveness of using topical betamethasone valerate in the treatment of alopecia areata and this it is an effective adjunctive treatment for alopecia areata.
- Take some garlic cloves and crush them well.
- Put the crushed garlic in the olive oil or coconut oil and boil them.
- After it boils, you turn off the heat and leave it to cool down for a few minutes.
- Apply it to your hair roots.
- Wash off properly after 30 minutes with a mild shampoo.
- Keep using this treatment 3 times per week for the best results.
14. Fish Oil
Fish oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which not only can make your hair smooth and shiny but also promote hair growth.
In 2015, the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology published a study that evaluated the effect of taking supplements of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and antioxidants on 120 healthy women with hair loss. After 6 months of treatment, the patients in the supplemented group had a superior improvement in increasing hair growth compared to the controlled group. In detail, there are 89.9 % of the patients reported a significant reduction in their hair loss problem, 86 % reported an improvement in their hair diameter, and 87 % reported an increase in hair density.
You should get internally fish oil supplement every day for at least 1 month. If you cannot put up with the smell of this oil, you can consider using flaxseed oil or include some flax seeds to your diet.
If you cannot eat enough foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, take 1 to 2 capsules or 1 tablespoon of a fish oil supplement to aid in reducing inflammation that causes various hair disorders.
15. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is high in antioxidants, and hence it may help you to fight the free radicals. Vitamin E also helps to increase oxygen in your body, thus increasing the blood circulation in your scalp. Regular massage with vitamin E oil will help stimulate hair growth and decrease split ends and hair fall. This makes your hair smoother and softer.
In a study published in the journal of Tropical Life Sciences Research in 2010, 21 patients with hair loss received tocotrienols (members of the vitamin E family) daily and 17 people received a placebo. After 8 months, people who took tocotrienols experienced an increased hair count with 34.5% compared to the people receiving placebo (0.1%). This study concluded that it could be thanks to the antioxidant effects of tocotrienols that help to relieve the oxidative stress in their scalp.
- Put some drops of vitamin E oil in your scalp and apply to your scalp.
- Allow it to leave for overnight so that your scalp can absorb this oil.
- In the next morning, you use a mild shampoo to wash off and keep using this oil to make your hair soft and smooth.
16. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk has vitamins B, C, E, calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium, phosphorus, and many various nutrients. It may nourish your hair, promote hair growth, and prevent hair loss. You may simply include it in your diet, or try using one of these home remedies for hair growth.
You will need:
- Coconut milk
- Wheat germ oil
- Aloe vera gel
- Avocado pulp
- Olive oil
- Massage your scalp gently with coconut milk.
- Leave it on your head for at least half an hour and rinse it out with warm water.
- Keep doing this process 2 to 4 times per month.
- Mix 1/4 cup each of coconut milk with wheat germ oil and aloe vera gel.
- Stir all these ingredients well to make a paste and rub this paste directly on your hair and scalp.
- You rinse off with a mild shampoo after 20 to 25 minutes.
- Apply this paste once per week to get a healthy hair
- Take coconut milk, avocado pulp, and olive oil at an equal ratio and mix them well.
- Combine this mixture with a little honey and stir them thoroughly to make a hair mask.
- Apply this mask to your hair and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with your shampoo and apply it on a regularized basis to get the best effects.
17. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is considered as the beauty oil. Apart from the ability to help your hair grow, it may also help reduce sleeplessness and stress. The lavender essential oil may also help prevent head lice.
Researchers discovered that massaging the scalp with lavender oil daily helps “44 percent of alopecia patients who were tested experienced new hair growth”.
According to a recent study of “Hair Growth-Promoting Effects of Lavender Oil in C57BL/6 Mice” published in the journal of Toxicology Research in 2016, lavender oil shows the marked hair growth-promoting property in female mice.
You should take some drops of lavender oil and apply to your scalp and hair to get healthy hair.
18. Aloe Vera And Lime Juice
Aloe vera can help promote hair growth and prevent hair loss. It also eases dandruff and helps it to restore your hair’s natural sheen.
According to a study published in the Anatomy and Cell Biology in 2012, aloe vera gel helps to reduce inflammation and has marked wound-healing effects on rats after a surgical incision. Besides, aloe vera enhances the hair growth process at sight on the incision.
In the review of “ALOE VERA: A SHORT REVIEW,” aloe vera also may help prevent against radiation damage on the skin, which results in hair loss. After using aloe vera gel, a strong antioxidant protein known as metallothionein is generated in your skin, which helps to remove free radicals and prevent the suppression induced due to the UV rays.
- Take fresh aloe vera gel and combine it with a little lime juice.
- Stir well and apply to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on your hair for about 20 minutes and shampoo your hair.
- Keep doing this process once per week, and you can see an improvement.
19. Olive oil
- You can include this oil in your daily diet in cooking form or consume it directly.
- You can also apply it to your scalp and wait for a few minutes so that your scalp may absorb this oil.
20. Onion Juice
Onion juice is one of the most effective home remedies for hair growth. Onion juice is high in sulfur, which may boost collagen production in your tissues, thereby regenerating your new hair.
A study in the Journal of Dermatology in 2002 by Khalifa E checked the effectiveness of using onion juice in treating patchy alopecia areata compared to a placebo. The participants were divided into 2 groups. 23 patients in the first group were treated with onion juice twice daily for 2 months and 15 patients in the second group (control) were treated with a placebo twice daily for 2 months. Hair regrowth started after 2 weeks of treatment with onion juice. At 4 weeks, hair regrowth was observed in 17 patients and, at 6 weeks, hair regrowth was seen in 20 patients.
The patients in the placebo group reported nearly no changes in their hair regrowth after 2 months of treatment. As a result, using crude onion juice gives a significantly high result in improving a healthy hair condition and succeeds to stop the patchy alopecia.
- Cut 2 to 4 onions into many slices and use a blender to grate these onions slices.
- Squeeze out the grated onion to get its juice.
- Massage your scalp gently with this juice.
- You allow it to be there for an hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo.
- Take 4 or 5 onions and chop them into many slices.
- Boil a liter of water and put these onion slices to this boiling water.
- Allow it to boil for 5 to 10 minutes and take it out of the heat.
- Let the water cool down and strain the onion water.
- You use this water to rinse your hair after using the shampoo.
- If you can stand the smell, you should not rinse your hair with other water until the next day
- If you can’t put up with this smell, you can rinse off your hair with clean water after an hour.
21. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Wash your hair with clean water.
- Apply apple cider vinegar directly to your head to get healthy and shiny hair.
- For 1 liter of solution, you can mix 75ml of this vinegar to 1 liter of water and store the remaining for the next time.
- For smaller quantities, you take 15ml of apple cider vinegar and then combine it with a cup of lukewarm filtered water.
- After washing your hair with this vinegar, you use water as the final rinse.
Banana contains vitamin A, C, E and potassium that may make your hair grow faster. Antioxidants found in bananas can infuse your hair and scalp with a stronger defense system and reduce oxidative stress, a major reason for brittle and aging hair. Overtime, banana can make hair follicles stronger and, as a result, grow faster and longer.
- Take a ripe banana and mash it to get a paste.
- Massage this paste directly to your hair and scalp.
- Cover your head with a plastic bag like a shower cap.
- You wait for about 45 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
23. Coconut Oil
The essential nutrients, such as lauric acid in coconut oil penetrate the hair shaft to improve the overall health of your hair. Coconut oil is loaded with potassium and keeps the scalp healthy, repairs damaged hair and stimulates the growth of new hair. It is also useful for reducing dandruff, hair loss, and hair breakage  .
Remedy 1: Coconut oil and avocado
- Put coconut oil in the microwave and heat it for about 15 seconds.
- Use this coconut oil to massage your hair gently from tip to root.
- Take a half ripe avocado and crush it to make a fine paste.
- Apply the avocado paste to your scalp and tip.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, rinse off with clean water.
Remedy 2: Coconut oil and regularly used shampoo
- Mix your regularly used shampoo well with coconut oil at an equal ratio.
- Use this shampoo mixture to shampoo your hair as usual. This process will help you to get moisturized scalp and hair.
- Keep using this way whenever you shampoo hair to make your hair soft and silky.
Remedy 3: Coconut oil treatment
- Wash your hair with your used shampoo as usual/
- Use a towel to pat your hair dry completely and put some drops of coconut oil directly on it.
- Try to use this process regularly to have healthy hair.
Remedy 4: Coconut oil and conditioner
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of cold-pressed virgin coconut oil and 4 tablespoons of conditioner.
- Mix all these ingredients well and then apply it directly on your hair and scalp.
- Use a towel to wrap your hair and let it sit for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and keep repeating it regularly to make your hair grow better.
Remedy 5: Coconut oil and almond oil
- Take coconut oil and almond oil at an equal ratio.
- Stir them well and massage it directly on your scalp and hair for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let it like that for about an hour and then wash it off with clean water to get rid of hair loss and promote hair growth.
Remedy 6: Coconut oil with olive oil
- Take some drops of coconut oil and mix it well with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Stir them well and apply this oil mixture to your hair and scalp by massaging gently on your head.
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo and water.
- Keep using this process regularly to ease the hair problems and get strong hair
Avocado contains some nutritional compounds that can make your hair grow faster. This fruit is a rich source of vitamin E, which may encourage hair growth. A medium avocado contains 21% of vitamin E you need daily. According to a study, after using a vitamin E supplement for 8 months, individuals with hair loss experienced a 34.5% increase in hair growth. Avocados are also enriched with fatty acids. A lack of essential fatty acids has been associated with hair loss.
Remedy 1: Avocado and banana
You will need:
- 1 avocado
- 1 banana
- Mix the avocado with banana well and mash them to make a fine paste.
- Massage this paste directly on your scalp and let it like that for about half an hour so that your hair can absorb the nutrients from the paste.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and use conditioner.
- Keep using this process to make your hair grow better
Remedy 2: Avocado and olive oil
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- A half of a ripe avocado
- Mash a half of a ripe avocado to make an avocado paste.
- Mix this paste well with olive oil.
- Apply this mixture to your hair after you shampoo it.
- Allow it to sit for about 20 to 30 minutes and rinse off completely with clean water.
- Apply conditioner to your hair to make it silky and soft.
After reading this article, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to make your hair grow fast, strongly, and healthily. If you know other home remedies for hair growth, then feel free to do let us know by commenting in the box below.