In This Article
Thinking about mastitis, do you think that it is a serious condition? Do you know about how to realize this problem? Does this infection affect your newborn baby? All your queries will be clarified in this article on our Effective Remedies site. Mastitis is considered a common breast infection that commonly affects breastfeeding women. It generally happens in the first three months with a new baby, but it can also occur anytime during the breastfeeding period. When suffering from mastitis, women may experience some symptoms such as breast pain, inflammation, swelling, redness, fever, chills, and heat or tenderness to the touch. This condition can make a woman exhausted, which makes it difficult to care for her newborn baby. Apart from requiring medical care, patients can also use some simple home remedies for mastitis while breastfeeding that work naturally to treat this infection and reduce discomfort. In case, the infection makes you feel painful when breastfeeding and persists for a few weeks, you should consult a doctor. Now, continue reading the article to learn more in detail!
- 19 effective ways on how to increase breast milk production after delivery fast
- Don’t skip these 37 most used home remedies for stretch marks on breasts & thighs
18 Most Effective Natural Home Remedies For Mastitis While Breastfeeding
I. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Must-Know Tips
- Wear loose clothing to prevent friction against your nipples.
- During breastfeeding, ensure the infant properly latches onto your breast.
- To lower the risk of mastitis, always keep the nipples clean and dry during feedings.
- Make sure complete drainage of your breasts by changing the position of your baby during each feeding.
- Nursing mothers should have proper rest & sleep to lower the risk of infection.
- Drink plenty of fluids in order to hydrate the body and keep your milk flow steady.
- Avoid lying on the stomach because it may affect your milk flow in your breasts.
- Avoid allowing your infant to use the breast as a pacifier.
- If using nursing pads, remember to replace them regularly to make sure they are always dry and clean.
- Avoid stress to prevent complications.
II. Best Home Remedies For Mastitis While Breastfeeding
1. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Massage
When you suffer from mastitis, you should gently massage your affected breast. This helps to remove the clogged milk ducts and reduce swelling. Remember that massage from the outside breast to the nipple in a small circle and apply more pressure on your infected area.
- You can mix equal amounts of wheat germ oil and apricot together. Then, use this mixture to massage your breast with upward strokes. Do this process a few times a day.
- Another option, you mix some drops of camphor oil with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and then use it to massage the breasts several times a day.
Note: Remember to clean your nipples thoroughly with lukewarm water before breastfeeding your newborn baby.
2. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Heat
One of the simple and effective home remedies for mastitis while breastfeeding is heat. Warmth helps to encourage and increase blood circulation, which fights infections in the inflamed area .
- Put a warm compress on your affected area for 15 minutes. You should repeat this remedy 3 times a day. This aids in increasing blood circulation, decreasing swelling, and boosting up the milk flow.
Massaging your affected area before & after warming your breast is considered a great combination to use. Take a warm shower or bath before/after breastfeeding are also effective for this infection. The heat also soothes the affected area and normalizes it.
3. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Water
A simple way to use water in the natural home remedies for mastitis is to increase the daily intake of water. It ensures that you have an enough amount of milk to feed your baby while water may help to reduce the growth of harmful bacteria in the breast . Therefore, you will treat this infection naturally in a very short period of time.
Simply, all you need to do is to drink at least 2 liters of water per day to have an abundant amount of milk and help to get rid of mastitis.
4. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek aids in stimulating the milk-producing glands while treating breast infection, according to Ayurveda. In addition, it consists of flavonoids that help to reduce inflammation & infections well thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties .
- Soak 4 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds in clean water overnight. In the next morning, grind these seeds into a paste. Now, place this paste on a cloth and then warm it slightly in a microwave. After that, use it as a compress on your infected area. Follow this remedy 2 times a day for 1-2 weeks.
- Or, you can also drink 1 cup of fenugreek tea for 2 or 3 times per day until you see a significant improvement.
5. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Hot & Cold Compresses
Both cold and hot compresses are beneficial in treating mastitis. A cold compress helps to reduce swelling and ease the pain while a hot compress can help to clear the blockage, increase milk flow, and improve blood circulation.
- For a hot compress, wrap a bottle of hot water in a thin towel.
- For a cold compress, wrap several ice cubes in a towel.
- Now, put the hot compress on your infected breast for about 15 minutes.
- Next, place the cold compress for about 5 minutes.
- Try to repeat the cycle 2 to 3 times.
- Use this method as needed.
6. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Potatoes
Potatoes contain anti-inflammatory properties and can help to stay the affected area cool for a long period of time. In addition, it contains enzymes that may aid in reducing redness and swelling. Potatoes are rich in vitamin C, which helps to fight infections well.
- Firstly, thinly slice a potato.
- Then, soak the slices in clean water for about 20 minutes.
- After that, apply the wet potatoes to the affected area for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, discard the slices and then replace them with other slices from your bowl.
- Repeat this process again for 3 times per hour. Repeat the entire process after a short break.
7. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Aloe Vera
As you may know, aloe vera plays a crucial role in many hair and skin treatments thanks to its healing properties. And in the list of natural home remedies for mastitis, aloe vera is also beneficial. It helps to reduce the pain & discomforts and repair the tissue damaged due to mastitis in your breasts. In addition, this method may make your skin smooth and white .
- Firstly, extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Then, apply this gel to your affected area.
- Now, allow it to dry naturally.
- Finally, rinse it off with warm water and then pat it dry with a towel.
- Repeat this way several times per day for several days.
Note: Rinse the aloe vera gel off the breast before breastfeeding your child.
8. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic properties . The presence of acrylic acid in this oil contains a powerful antibacterial effect, which will help to reduce the swelling, pain, and redness caused due to mastitis.
- You may massage this oil on your affected breast and nearby area. Then, wash it off thoroughly before feeding your infant.
- Or, you may consume 4 tbsp. of coconut oil every day.
9. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Breast Milk
Actually, breast milk is one of the natural home remedies for mastitis while breastfeeding . Do you think that it seems crazy? However, it is completely true! It is a remedy that is very easy, free and available while breastfeeding. Treating the nipples is necessary for creating a great resistance to bacterial infections leading to mastitis.
Simply, you rub breast milk on the sore nipples before and after breastfeeding in order to help treat and recover your affected areas.
10. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Cabbage Leaves
Using cabbage leaves is considered as a great remedy for inflamed & infected breasts thanks to its soothing properties. They are loaded with sulfur compounds that aid in reducing inflammation and swelling. In addition, they can give nursing women relief from clogged ducts & engorgement . For ages, it has been used as one of the natural home remedies for mastitis .
- At first, chill several cabbage leaves in a refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Then, apply a cold cabbage leaf to the infected breast.
- Whenever the leaf gets to room temperature, you replace it with another cold one.
- Follow this way a few times a day until you remove the infection completely.
11. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil has been used for many years as a natural home remedy for soothing pain, aches, and minor burns. Therefore, you can use this oil to relieve the pain and swelling caused due to mastitis effectively at home.
- You may control the breast pain & swelling due to mastitis by massaging lavender essential oil on the inflamed breasts.
- Another option, you may use lavender tea bags. Add them to hot water for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then, soak a cloth in this solution and apply to the infected area.
12. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Calendula
Calendula may help to give you relief from swelling and pain, two of the common symptoms of mastitis (breast infection) . Moreover, its antibacterial effects are beneficial in helping to get rid of bacteria causing this infection.
- Prepare a paste by mixing equal amounts of comfrey leaves and calendula flowers. Next, slightly warm the paste and then apply it to the inflamed area. Now, leave it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off using warm water. Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times a day.
- Or, you can apply a calendula ointment to the affected are a few times each day.
Note: Remember to wash your breast with warm water before feeding a baby.
13. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano essential oil is loaded with anti-infectious, analgesic, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties. This is the reason why this oil has an ability to kill S. aureus, which makes it one of other best natural home remedies for mastitis. In addition to being an effective tonic, honey helps to boost up the immune system.
For mastitis, you need to take oregano oil capsules for 2 times a day for 3 to 5 days.
Note: Remember to keep this oil far away from children.
14. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Garlic
If you are looking for more home remedies for mastitis, don’t skip garlic because it won’t make you disappointed. Offering some antibiotic substances, this popular spice is very helpful in treating mastitis. It works as antibiotics without bringing any side effect on your health. Moreover, the consumption of garlic helps to enhance the immune system and speed up the healing process. Due to nutrients from garlic cloves, you help your baby become stronger. You may digest some raw garlic slices when you are hungry .
- Simply, eat 2 raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach. Also, you can eat a few more during the day. If you are not a fan of garlic, you can eat it with plain water or orange juice. Repeat this method daily for one week.
- Another option, take garlic supplements after consulting a doctor.
15. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Eat Vitamin C-Rich Foods
As you may know, vitamin C helps to fight breast infection and repair damaged skin tissue. In addition, this vitamin is very beneficial in boosting up your immune system and speeding up recovery.
- Simply, eat vitamin C-rich foods such as limes, lemons, oranges, kiwis, guavas, strawberries, papaya, kale, mustard greens, parsley, & broccoli.
- Or, you can take vitamin C supplements only after consulting your doctor.
16. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Tea Tree Oil
As you know, the antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and other medicinal properties present in the tea tree oil help you to treat breast engorgement and some other problems. In addition, it is an excellent essential oil for mastitis.
- Firstly, take 1 tbsp. of tea tree oil.
- Then, spread this oil on the inflamed breast.
- Finally, massage the breast gently.
Note: Rinse your breast area thoroughly before feeding your baby.
17. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Echinacea
The echinacea is also beneficial in helping to boost the immune system, which aids the body in fighting off infections. In addition, the flavonoids present in this herb offer antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial benefits. Therefore, it is commonly used in the treatment of mastitis while breastfeeding. However, you should not use this herb for a long time.
- Firstly, apply the echinacea root tincture to the infected area for 4 or 5 times a day. Then, clean the area properly with warm water before breastfeeding your baby.
- Another option, you can add 3 to 4 drops of this tincture to 1 glass of water. Then, mix them well and drink it 3 to 4 times each day for no more than one week.
18. Home Remedies For Mastitis – Apple Cider Vinegar
Another of the excellent home remedies for mastitis while breastfeeding is apple cider vinegar. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects found in this vinegar help to reduce inflammation, combat infection, and prevent the spread of the infection. In addition, it offers the body an added energy boost .
- Prepare a solution by mixing apple cider vinegar and warm water at the ratio of 1:2. Then, apply this solution to the affected area with a cotton ball. Now, allow it to be on there for 15 minutes. Finally, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy 2 or 3 times a day until the infection is gone away.
- Or, you can mix 1 tbsp. of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with a little honey in 1 cup of water. Then, drink it 3 times a day for 1-2 weeks.
Above are 18 most effective home remedies for mastitis while breastfeeding that work naturally and you can follow easily. If you want to learn more the natural treatments for other health condition, please visit our Home Remedies page. Do not forget to leave your comments in the form below to show us your thoughts.