With the dizzying rise of social diseases, learning about them is absolutely necessary and right to protect you and your family. At present, genital herpes is a very common and typical social disease. However, not many people know about this disease and there is little information about it. A full understanding of genital herpes condition will help you become more active in preventing and treating it. Let Effective Remedies introduce to you the causes, symptoms, and the most effective home remedies for genital herpes in the article below.
- 47 natural home remedies for bacterial infections on skin, in ear, mouth, stomach, vagina, & blood
- 6 must-know tips to prevent bacterial vaginosis naturally & effectively
27 Most Effective Home Remedies For Genital Herpes – 100% Natural & Safe
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease which is caused by a virus of the same name as herpes simplex (HSV). There are two types of HSV virus: HSV type 1 and HSV type 2. They cause genital herpes in different positions in your body. HSV type 1 mainly infects and causes the disease in the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract and mucosal skin, and the manifestation of the disease usually occurs in the mouth. The HSV type 2 virus primarily infects the body through sexual contact, which usually manifests itself in the lower genital organs. The virus is highly transmissible. However, there is also the case of HSV type 1 that causes genital herpes in genitalia and HSV type 2 that causes genital herpes in upper organs.
Genital herpes is a common disease so anyone can catch it but women are at the higher risk of catching this sexual disease than men. According to a research of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for every six people between the ages of 14 and 49, there is one person with genital herpes. Due to the fear and embarrassment of catching genital herpes, many patients choose home remedies instead of going to hospitals or gynecology clinics. However, information as well as advice on home remedies are often not sufficiently synthesized, making it difficult for patients to find appropriate methods to get rid of the disease. Today’s article will let you know 27 most effective home remedies for genital herpes that work 100% naturally & safely.
II. Best Home Remedies For Genital Herpes
1. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Epsom Salt
Scientifically, Epsom salt is also known as hydrated magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt is not salt. It looks like salt, however, is pure mineral. Epsom salt contains magnesium and sulfate minerals. It is an exfoliating scrub and a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient that helps fight genital herpes. Epsom salt can contribute to reducing the symptoms of genital herpes effectively. It can help speed up the healing of blisters in affected areas. When you have genital herpes, you will surely have fluid-filled blisters. In the cases of these breakouts, the blisters will cause a rapid burst of genital herpes. But with the use of Epsom salt, you will no longer be susceptible to these blisters. In addition, Epsom salt not only kills harmful bacteria in the diseased area but also provides moisture to the affected areas, which make you comfortable and relaxed during the illness. Besides, together with the use of treating genital herpes, Epsom salts can also keep you away from the side effects of antiviral drugs. Taking a bath with Epsom salt is an excellent home remedy for removing genital herpes.
How to do:
- Fill a bathtub with tepid water
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to the tub and stir well to ensure that the Epsom salt dissolves completely
- Soak the lower body in the tub for 30 minutes to the Epsom salt solution absorb to the affected areas
- Use a blow-dryer to dry your genital area on warm setting
- Repeat the remedy 2 times a week until the disease improves
2. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is considered a great ingredient for treating genital herpes due to its powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties. Coconut oil consists of monolaurin and natural lauric acid, which is certified to establish the anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of coconut oil. In addition, some studies on coconut oil have shown that the medium-chain saturated fatty acids in this oil have the ability to inhibit the growth and spread of the virus due to its ability to destroy the virus. The scientists also demonstrated that coconut oil is capable of solving most strains of the virus, even the strains that have developed resistant to medications. In addition to the ability to kill viruses and bacteria to help you quickly get rid of genital herpes, coconut oil also makes it easier for you during suffering from the disease. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties so it will help you reduce itching and discomfort caused by genital herpes. It also provides enough moisture to soothe your affected areas.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with coconut oil:
- Melt about 2 tsp. of coconut oil and then apply it to the affected areas before the bedtime
- Leave it overnight
- Rinse the areas with tepid water in the morning
- Repeat this home remedy daily until you get rid of genital herpes
- Add 2 tsp. of coconut oil and 2 tsp. of raw honey to a small bowl and mix them well to make a salve
- Liberally rub the salve onto the affected areas 3 times a day
- Repeat until the disease is swept out
- Add 3 tsp. of extra-virgin coconut oil in the daily diet. You can consume coconut oil orally or use it as cooking oil
3. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a natural anti-inflammatory and anti-viral agent, so it is one of the best home remedies for genital herpes. This ingredient is used to treat genital herpes caused by both HSV type 1 and HSV type 2. Aloe vera is capable of enhancing your body's defense at the cellular level and revitalizing the immune system of your body. Aloe Vera contains polysaccharides which energize the activity of white blood cells as well as increase the number of T-helper cells. These cells play an important role in synchronizing the response of the immune system in your body and producing antibodies to deal with the body systems of the infectious agents. According to one study, the anthraquinone component (emodin) in aloe vera can inhibit the function and activity of many viruses including HSV type 1 and HSV type 2. Aloe vera gel is also very cool and rich in moisture. When you apply it on the affected area, you will feel more comfortable much more. Aloe vera can help you get rid of the symptoms caused by genital herpes such as itching, inflammatory, and pain.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with aloe vera:
- Wash off an aloe vera leaf then extract its gel
- Apply the aloe vera gel to your affected areas
- Leave it dry naturally
- Soak a washcloth in warm water and then wipe off the dry aloe vera gel
- Apply this method 3 times a day until your symptoms improve
- Rinse an aloe vera leaf thoroughly and peel it off
- Cut it into pieces, put in a blender and blend well
- Strain to a bowl to take the aloe vera juice
- Add 2 tsp. of aloe vera juice to a cup of water or fruit juice and consume
- Apply this method once a day. You must not consume more than 2 tsp. of aloe vera juice a day as it may cause the laxative effect
4. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is water that is added to an extra oxygen atom. This added oxygen atom helps hydrogen peroxide become a potential treatment for genital herpes. Hydrogen peroxide is a common method usually used for treating genital herpes because it has effective anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Our body can also produce hydrogen peroxide through a type of virus strain called lactobacilli- the healthy bacteria in the vagina, helping to keep the environment in the vagina safe. However, HSV type 2 can cause unbalanced lactobacilli in the vagina in women and cause inflammation and genital herpes. According to a study published in May 2011, scientists have discovered that hydrogen peroxide acts as an antioxidant to eliminate HSV caused by Kaposi's virus. For all the reasons above, using hydrogen peroxide for genital herpes treatment is a completely correct method.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with hydrogen peroxide:
- Pour 5 tsp. of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a clean bowl
- Soak a cotton ball to the bowl and dab on your affected areas
- Leave it for some minutes and then wash off your skin with tepid water gently
- Repeat the performance every 3 hours until your condition improves
- Crush a lysine tablet and then put it to a small bowl
- Add 5 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to the bowl and mix them well
- Use a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide and lysine mixture to rub your affected areas
- Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse your skin with warm water
- Apply this method once a day until the symptoms go away
5. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Lysine
Lysine is one of the essential amino acids in the human body and is found in many foods such as red meat, sardines, cod, eggs, beans. Many studies have shown that lysine is useful in the treatment of genital herpes caused by HSV2. Lysine is believed to be a great treatment for genital herpes because it is capable of blocking the replication of HSV1. A report published in Medscape News for Nurses has shown scientific evidence on the beneficial effects of lysine in the treatment of genital herpes. The time of outbreak can be shortened by adding lysine to the body. However, people with high triglycerides, heart disease, and high cholesterol should consult a doctor before using lysine as one of the home remedies for genital herpes.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with lysine:
- Take 3,000 to 9,000 mg of lysine for an outbreak in divided doses and 1,000 mg of lysine for preventing a recurrence
- Remember to consult the doctor before consuming
- Supplement lysine-rich foods to your diet. Foods you should eat to add lysines such as beef, fish, chicken, turkey, legumes, beans, egg, cod, sardines, and green vegetables
6. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is a perfect agent for treating genital herpes because it has strong antibacterial and antiviral properties. Thus, it can wipe out harmful bacteria and microorganisms in affected areas. There is little research on the effect of apple cider vinegar on genital herpes but its relief to patients is huge and its users are completely satisfied with its use. Despite the rapid and effective killing of the bacteria, ACV is completely mild and safe for the skin. It works to heal infections gently. In addition, ACV helps balance the natural pH of the skin, creating an unfavorable environment for bacterial growth and virus attacks. When using ACV directly on the affected area, it helps reduce inflammation and itching very quickly. When you add apple cider vinegar to your body, it acts as a probiotic to protect you from the virus. You should choose a good brand of ACV to ensure the safety when using ACV for treating genital herpes.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with ACV:
- Add 5 tsp. of raw and unfiltered ACV to a clean bowl
- Use a cotton ball soaked in ACV to dab on your affected areas (you may feel stung a bit but it is normal)
- Leave it dry
- Repeat 4 times a day until your condition improves
- Add 3 tsp. ACV and 3 tsp. of honey to a glass of warm water and stir well
- Consume while it is warm in every morning before having breakfast
- Keep habit even if you get rid of genital herpes.
This remedy helps you relieve genital herpes, create a strong immune system, and improve your gut flora to prevent the disease come back.
7. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Garlic
Garlic has been used to treat health complications for thousands of years due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. These two salient features of garlic are helpful in reducing the negative effects of inflammation that cause herpes and to limit the outbreak of the disease. In addition, a chemical in garlic known as allicin has been shown to have very effective antiviral activity, including HSV. This bulb is capable of killing the virus when it comes in direct contact with the affected area. Garlic for genital herpes is one of the fastest ways to heal the skin. The ideal time to use garlic for genital herpes is when the disease is at an early stage and the blisters are not growing well and contain fluid inside.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with garlic:
- Chop some cloves of garlic and add it in a bowl with 2 glasses of water
- Boil the boil for 5 mins and let it cool down
- Add the water to your tub and take soak the affected area into the water for 10 mins
- Wash off your skin with cool water
- Repeat this procedure 3 times a day until your condition improves
- Take some cloves of garlic, peel off and lightly swat
- Rub the garlic directly over your affected area for 15 mins
- Repeat the remedy 2 times a day for several days
- Add 5 tsp. of garlic oil in a small bowl
- Use a cotton ball to soak into the oil and apply to the affected area
- Repeat the procedure once a day until your condition improves
You can buy garlic oil at the store or make it yourself by cooking some garlic cloves with olive oil until the garlic cloves become brown, and then take the garlic cloves out to use the oil left.
8. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Baking Soda
One of other effective home remedies for herpes is using baking soda. Baking soda has a rapid drying effect on sores caused by genital herpes so it will help you get rid of this disease faster. Although it helps to make the sores recover quickly, baking soda does not have much effect on reducing pain and itching. You can buy baking soda in local supermarkets or pharmacies easily and it is very cheap.
How to do:
- Add some tsp. of baking soda powder to a bowl
- Soak a cotton ball into the clean water and then dip it in the powder bowl
- Dab it on the affected area (ensure that you cover all the sores with baking soda and don’t use the cotton ball more than 1 time)
- Leave it for 1 hour and then wash off your skin with tepid water
- Repeat the procedure 2 times a day until the sores become dry
9. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Indian Lilac
Indian Lilac or neem is a plant which has long been used to treat diseases caused by bacteria and viruses, such as infections. It is believed to be used by many pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies today. It has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-parasitic and antiseptic properties so it helps you manage problems caused by genital herpes very well. Indian Lilac will help you kill the bacteria and virus that cause the disease and inhibit their growth. The consumption of Indian Lilac also inhibits the development of HSV 2 inside the body. In addition, it can help reduce redness, pain, itchiness, skin irritation, appearing blisters, and heal the sores quickly.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with Indian Lilac:
- Take a handful of fresh neem leaves and crush them to make a paste
- Apply the paste to the affected area and leave it for 30 mins
- Wash off your skin with warm water
- Repeat this procedure twice a day until the sores disappear
- Add a handful of fresh neem leaves in a bowl with 3 glasses of water
- Boil the bowl for 30 mins and let it cool down
- Strain the solution and rinse your affected area with this solution
- Perform the remedy 3 times a day
10. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Olive Oil
Olive oil is considered an excellent natural ingredient for many diseases and skin problems. It is also proven to have a good effect on the symptoms of genital herpes. Olive oil has strong antioxidant properties, which is beneficial for killing various bacteria and viruses. In addition, olive oil contains a compound called oleuropein, which has been tested positively in treating various infection problems including genital herpes. After getting rid of genital herpes, you are likely to have the recurrence if your body is not producing enough protein and your immune system is weak. In this case, using olive oil is an effective way to boost the immune system and stimulate protein production, helping to prevent genital herpes outbreaks often. Moreover, the consumption of olive oil also helps you stay away from the complications associated with genital herpes. Olive oil will destroy the germs from inside your body before they cause damage to your skin. After being destroyed, these agents will be released outside the body through natural detoxification. When being applied to the skin, olive oil also helps soothe and moisturize the skin, helping to reduce itching and pain.
How to prepare home remedies for genital herpes with olive oil:
- Add 2 tsp. of olive oil, 3 drops of lavender oil to a small bowl and heat it up in the microwave
- Mix them well and let it cool down
- Apply the mixture to your affected skin using a cotton pad
- Repeat this method 3 times a day until your symptoms get better
- Add 3-4 tsp. of heated olive oil to a bowl
- Use a cotton soaked in the olive oil bowl to apply to your affected skin
- Repeat twice a day
- Take 4 mg tablets of olive oil in every 6 hours between your meal times
- It may require more if your acute infections are serious
11. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most effective treatments for genital herpes. Tea tree oil can help you get rid of genital herpes only in a few days. The main ingredients in olive oil such as alpha-terpineol, terpinen-4-ol, and terpinolene have the ability to inhibit the replication of HSV, helping to prevent the rapid outbreak of genital herpes. According to The University of Michigan Health System, traditional Australian aborigines have believed using tea tree oil to treat genital herpes and skin infections. A study by Australian researchers published in the September 2001 published in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy found that tea tree oil has the ability to reduce the activity of HSV. However, tee tree oil can cause irritation when applied directly to the affected areas of genital herpes. It is advised to consult a doctor or try the oil on a small area of the skin before applying genital herpes treatment with tea tree oil.
How to do:
- Wash your hands with soap and water and dry with a clean towel
- Drip 1 drop of tea tree oil on your index finger and gently apply the oil to your affected area
- Wash your hands again
- Repeat the method 3 times a day
III. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes – Must-Know Tips
- Cold compress: cold compress help to reduce the itching and pain associated with genital herpes. The cold temperature will contract your blood vessels underneath the skin, which in turn relieves the inflammatory and shrink the size of cold sores and accelerates the recovery. You just need to use a thin towel to wrap some ice cubes and gently apply directly to your affected area for 10 mins in every 4 hours. Remember to wash the towel with soap and warm water after each applying. You can also use tea bags and keep in the refrigerator for 30 mins for applying and wash your affected areas every day with cold water.
- Warm compress: warm compress also helps to reduce the itching and discomfort caused by genital herpes.
- Apply vitamin E and vitamin A directly to your cold sores.
- Consume foods like barley, cashews, almonds, cereals, chocolate, chicken, corn, meat, dairy products, peanuts, and oats during the outbreaks to supplement L-arginine which help to slow the growth of the virus.
- Avoid consuming citrus fruits as well as the juices from these fruits during disease.
IV. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes – Facts
1. Symptoms Of Genital Herpes
- Initially, people with genital herpes will feel itchy, burning and irritated in some areas near the genitals. Next, the skin will appear red blisters including white mucus. Commonly, these blisters will appear in the vagina, vulva, large lip, small lip, anus, foreskin, penis, inguinal, etc.
- Then, if the patient is not treated, these blisters will bind together in large clusters and cause severe sores that can cause pain, itching, and burning.
- When the HSV virus outbreaks, patients will have a high fever, headache, tiredness, lymph nodes, muscle pain. In addition, the patient also has some symptoms such as painful sexual intercourse, urinary incontinence, bloody urine or pus.
2. The Effects Of Genital Herpes
Genital herpes causes a lot of harm as well as dangerous complications for the patient such as:
- Affect daily life: It causes you pain, discomfort, and inconvenience in your daily activities.
- Spread to other organs: If you accidentally let the mucus touch the other part in the body, the disease will grow on this part.
- Affect the sex life: Genital herpes makes you feel pain, discomfort, and self-esteem when having sex.
- Cause some harm to pregnant women: Pregnant women with genital herpes may develop some serious complications such as miscarriage, premature birth. Even the baby can suffer from problems like brain damage, blindness, blurred vision, etc.
- Increase risk of catching other diseases: In case of suffering from genital herpes, the resistance is reduced so you will be easily infected with other diseases such as HIV, genital warts, and other skin diseases.
V. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes – Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is genital herpes caused by bacteria?
No. This disease is caused by HSV viruses. The virus is highly contagious and lives in the body for life.
2. Is the disease dangerous?
Yes. If not treated promptly, the disease can cause many dangerous complications such as central nervous system damage, causing aseptic meningitis for suffers. Genital herpes also often associates with infection and HIV transmission.
3. Is genital herpes confused with mycosis?
Yes. Symptoms of these two diseases are very similar, so when you suspect that you may catch genital herpes, you should consult your doctor for accurate diagnosis and treatment in time.
4. Can genital herpes be completely treated?
No. You just can only treat it to limit the outbreak. You cannot completely kill the virus. The virus stays in your body for a lifetime.
5. Can we get genital herpes at the mouth?
Yes. Infection can occur when having oral sex with an infected person.
6. Can we be infected HSV1 through a sex?
Yes. Genital herpes is very contagious, so even once a sexual relationship with an infected person can also get the virus.
7. Is genital herpes dangerous for pregnant women?
Yes. It not only cause many problems for the pregnant women but also affects the fetus, causing miscarriage, premature birth and some fetal defects such as blindness, brain defects, etc.
VI. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes – Prevent From Starting
- Use a latex condom in every sexual contact to avoid being infected with HSV from your partner
- Do not have sexual relations indiscriminately
- Abstain from having multiple sexual partners
- Have adequate rest, avoid stress and supplement food helping to boost your immune system
- Wear loose-fitting and cotton clothes and underwear
- Avoid contact with genital herpes sufferer when you have open wounds. Do not share household items such as face towels, toothbrushes, toilets, towels, underwear with infected people
- Clean the bathtub and toilet before using
- Keep personal hygiene clean, especially before and after sex
- If you accidentally touch the blood, mucus of a stranger, quickly wash the part touching with them under a tap with sterilized soap, then go to the hospital for a doctor's help
VII. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes – Advice After Treated
- You need to understand the general knowledge of genital herpes disease to detect early disease and have appropriate treatment. If you suspect that you have genital herpes, quickly go to the hospital for a blood test to be diagnosed accurately and consulted treatment.
- Keeping genital clean: Keeping your genitals clean is the most important factor in avoiding recurrence. It plays an important role in avoiding inflammation and gynecological diseases. Women should use clean water and medium pH sanitizer to clean the genital daily.
- Have a reasonable diet: When the body's resistance system is good, it will effectively prevent the risk of recurrence. Therefore, patients after treatment should pay attention to diet. Essential nutrients such as protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, leafy greens and fresh fruits need to be fully replenished. Also, you need to stay away from stimulants such as beer, wine, cigarettes and the hot, spicy food.
- Do exercise: Regular exercising will help you stay healthy and have a good immune system.
- Have periodic health check to find out the disease timely and have the right advice, methods of treatment to limit the spread.
We have brought you effective tips to use natural, cheap and safe ingredients for genital herpes. In addition, we give you some general information, tips, and tips to help you treat genital herpes more quickly and avoid recurring. Hope they are useful to you. All content provided is for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you. For more home remedies as well as the tips for some diseases in life, please visit Home Remedies page. Thanks for reading. If you know other effective home remedies for genital herpes that work naturally & safely, please share with us.