Nowadays, people are not strange about the disease called heartburn. Therefore, what is the heartburn? What causes heartburn? How can we recognize that we have heartburn? That question means the symptoms of heartburn. And what medicine can treat this? Besides, can we use natural home remedies for heartburn to cure? Now, let’s answer each question. For question number one, heartburn is characterized by a pain and burning sensation in the chest and stomach. It often happens after you eat fried, fatty or acidic foods. Now for the second question, we have several answers, especially rising acidic stomach juices into the esophagus and the symptoms of heartburn are nausea, trouble swallowing, coughing, sore throat, regurgitation of food or acid, burning sensation in the chest, abdomen or throat, burping and so on. The fact shows that you can use both medicine and natural home remedies for heartburn to treat this. Thus, do you want to know the best natural home remedies for heartburn? If “yes”, please continue reading this article on our page EffectiveRemedies.com which will present to you 29 most effective home remedies for heartburn relief that work naturally and fast.
- Effective home remedies for acid reflux relief in stomach
- Effective home remedies for indigestion pain and gas
- Effective home remedies for gastritis pain in adults
- Effective home remedies for upset stomach in adults
29 Most Effective Natural Home Remedies For Heartburn Relief That Work Fast
These are 29 natural home remedies for heartburn which you can do to get rid of heartburn.
1. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Baking Soda
The first remedy in the list of home remedies for heartburn is baking soda. A full spoon of the baking soda can help to end the burning and gnawing sensation of heartburn which is caused by acid reflux. It is also a natural antacid that reduces the symptoms of acid indigestion and heartburn. It helps to counteract the stomach acid and push it back down into your stomach . So if you choose this remedy, you need to prepare:
- A half or a teaspoon of the baking soda
- A glass of water
Let’s implement according to this recipe:
- Pour the prepared baking soda into a glass of water (may be 230 – 250 ml)
- Mix well
- Drink the mixture
- Do this maximum 3 times a day and continue for one week.
Pay attention: do not use too much salt because you can have nausea or swelling
Besides, you can follow this recipe to treat your heartburn too.
- Pour a half of the cream of tartar and a half of baking soda into a glass of water
- Mix everything well
- Drink it as needed
2. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Aloe Vera Juice
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
Everybody thinks that aloe vera can help to relieve the burns for example sunburn. However, it also helps to relieve the heartburn. And the reason why it can help is anti-inflammatory properties inside it. In other words, taking aloe vera juice can calm your heartburn down when your tummy begins inflamed and irritated.  So what you need to carry out this remedy are just aloe vera leaves. And this is the detailed instruction:
- Grind the aloe vera leaves in order to take the juice
- Take a half of a cup aloe vera juice
- Drink it before you have meals
- Repeat this process twice a day daily until your heartburn is gone away.
3. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the effective home remedies for heartburn is apple cider vinegar. According to one study, unfiltered or raw apple cider vinegar may prevent heartburn . However, more studies are needed to determine whether this vinegar is a reputable and consistent way to cure acid reflux. You should try apple cider vinegar in case you get the reflux of acid in your esophagus.
What you need:
- 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 200 – 250 ml water
Let’s follow the direction below:
- Pour the apple cider vinegar into the water
- Stir the mixture
- Drink the mixture
- Do this process before having each meal or going to bed and do this twice or thrice a day in a week
Remember: if you feel worse after using two days, do not go on ingesting it.
4. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Ginger Root
Ginger root is a plant which can be used as an effective home remedy for heartburn. It helps to ease a number of the stomach symptoms. So to do this remedy, you just need:
- Ginger root
- Two cups of water
Here is the detailed direction:
- Slice the ginger root into 3 quarter sized pieces
- Gently simmer in 2 cups of water and then cover it for about a half an hour
- Remove the pieces of ginger
- Drink the water before eating meals about 20 minutes
- Do this twice a day until you feel better
5. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Chamomile Tea
Chamomile can reduce the inflammation in the stomach. In addition, it can relieve stress and help you sleep well. Chamomile also soothes gastrointestinal irritation and reduces gastric acidity, thereby helping you get relief from the heartburn . In order to make this remedy, you had better prepare these ingredients:
- A teaspoon of dried chamomile flower petals
- A strainer
- A cup of water
- Lemon or honey (optional)
You need to follow these steps below:
- Boil the water and then let it cool
- Put the dried chamomile flower petals into it and simmer for about 45 seconds
- Remove heat
- Allow the petals to soak for two minutes
- Strain them
- Pour the tea into a glass
- Add honey or lemon if you want
- Do this 2 or 3 times during a day and repeat daily till your heartburn is taken away.
6. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds can control the production of stomach acid and make the breath fresher. That’s why it is the effective home remedy for heartburn. To do this remedy, you need to prepare:
- Fennel seeds
- A cup of boiling water
Here is the detailed recipe:
- Take 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- Pour the fennel seed into the cup of boiling water
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes
- Strain it into another cup
- Drink it several times a day.
- Keep doing every day until you feel better
Besides, you also chew the fennel seeds every day.
7. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Mint
Mint is an effective method which is used to treat heartburn and indigestion. It can do that because of the soothing properties. Thus, before applying this remedy, these ingredients need preparing:
- A cup of water
- Mint leaves
Now these steps are what you need to do:
- Crush the mint leaves
- Add a tablespoon of the crushed mint leaves into a cup of water
- Leave it on about 30 minutes
- Drink it 2 or 3 times during a day. you can do this daily until your heartburn is gone.
Additionally, you can chew fresh mint leaves to stay away from heartburn too.
8. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Slippery Elm
For many centuries, slippery elm has been used to treat many diseases including heartburn. It will help your mucus lining in the stomach to thicken; therefore, it can create the effective barrier against the acid. If you want to implement this remedy, you ought to prepare:
- Slippery elm powder
- Hot water
Here is the recipe you can follow:
- Take a teaspoon of slippery elm powder
- Add to a cup of hot water
- Let it cool
- Drink it 2 or 3 times during a day daily after meals or before bedtime till your heartburn is taken away.
Besides, you also take slippery elm capsules (400 – 500 mg) every day. And each day, we take them 3 or 4 times. Remember that you just need to take the capsules with a full glass of water in about 1 or 2 months.
9. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Cabbage Juice
One of the effective home remedies for heartburn is cabbage juice. Cabbage juice contains anti-inflammatory properties which can alleviate several types of digestive problems which include heartburn. Thus, before doing this remedy, you need to prepare these things:
Now let’s do this remedy:
- Take a fresh cabbage and two carrots
- Grind them in a blender in order to take the juice
- Drink one and a half cup of the juice only in the morning when there is nothing on your stomach. You can do this daily until you don’t have heartburn anymore.
10. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Cinnamon
A good remedy which is used to cure heartburn is cinnamon. It can make the heat of heartburn cooler. Therefore, to use this remedy, you ought to follow these steps below:
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon (you can use the crushed one or the powdered one) into a cup of boiling water
- Allow it to steep
- Then let it strain
- Drink it twice daily until your heartburn is gone.
11. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Peppermint Oil
One of the useful home remedies for heartburn is peppermint oil. It is one of the ingredients in the heartburn medicines. Now in order to make this remedy, you need to prepare:
- Peppermint oil
- Cold water
You can follow this detailed instruction here:
- Add 2 drops of peppermint oil into a cup of cold water (or 250 ml cold water)
- Mix well
- Drink the mixture when you have indigestion. It will help you reduce heartburn
Sometimes, when you can’t drink this mixture, you should suck a peppermint candy which can relieve stomach irritation and indigestion.
12. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Potato
Potato is one of the most popular ingredients in cooking. It is also a good ingredient to treat heartburn. It can heal the lining of the esophagus. So as to apply this remedy, please prepare these things first:
- A raw potato
- Cold water
Here is the detailed recipe you can follow:
- Crush the potato in order to take the juice
- Add an equal amount of the cold water
- Stir the mixture well till it’s cloudy from the starch
- Drink it immediately
- Continue doing twice or thrice a day daily until your heartburn is taken away
13. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Fruit
Fruit is also one of the effective home remedies for heartburn too. You can choose many kinds of fruit to treat heartburn, but these fruits will work the best.
Apple can calm down the acid production as well as reducing the burning sensation. It also neutralizes the acid in the stomach in 5 minutes. You should take some slices of apple after eating fatty or fried foods. Or you can do with this method. Now you peel, core and cut the apple into several slices. Then put them into a pan of water. Simmer it about 3 hours until the mixture is brown, sweet and thick to the taste. Then take a few teaspoons of the mixture as needed. And the rest of the mixture, you should put it in a jar and place it in the refrigerator.
Banana can work as the natural antacid in the body. So eat at least a banana per day can help you reduce the heartburn. And if you don’t want to eat fresh bananas, please try the dried ones.
Another fruit can help to decrease heartburn is grapes. They are very good at relieving the upset stomach along with indigestion. In order to have heartburn taken away, you ought to eat 10 – 20 grapes whenever you have heartburn.
14. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Almond
In the list of the natural and effective home remedies for heartburn, almond should be mentioned too. Almon can neutralize the stomach acid. That’s why it can treat heartburn effectively. So to implement this remedy, you need to prepare a handful almond (maybe 15 – 20). Now take the handful almond. After 30 minutes, you can see that your heartburn is taken away.
Remember: you just use this remedy when you are having heartburn.
15. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Lemon
Lemon contains a lot of vitamin C and it can help to treat heartburn too. Thus, when you have heartburn, you can follow this simple direction:
- Cut a lemon into 2 halves
- Take a juice from a half of the lemon and then pour it into a cup of water
- Mix well together
- Drink this mixture in the morning when there is nothing on your stomach. And you should follow this remedy daily
Additionally, you can have lemonade with your meals. That will help you relieve heartburn after finishing your meals.
16. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Yogurt
One of the useful home remedies for heartburn is yogurt. As you know, yogurt includes the probiotics which are effective in altering the fermentation patterns and decreasing the bacterial growth. Therefore, if you are heartburn, please try to eat yogurt every day to provide more probiotics for your stomach. And remember: you can not only eat yogurt which can be bought in the supermarket but also eat yogurt which can be made by yourself.
17. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Cardamom
If your heartburn is caused by the acid reflux, you should apply this remedy. Now what you need to do is listed as following:
- First, take 2 cardamoms and then grind them
- Add 250 ml water and the crushed cardamom into a pan
- Boil in 15 minutes
- Strain the mixture
- Drink it twice a day daily until your heartburn is gone
18. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Licorice
About 60 million people have heartburn at least once during a month. Even though the research is limited, licorice is considered as one of the natural home remedies for heartburn. Or in other words, licorice can reduce your heartburn.
And in some studies, we find out that licorice has stomach healing properties. However, if you eat a lot of licorice, you may get some serious problems, especially high blood pressure.
Thus, you just take one licorice tablet which you can buy at any natural food stores before each meal. That will help you relieve heartburn. Or sometimes, you can take a half of a teaspoon licorice powder with a cup of water as often when you get heartburn
19. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Basil Leaves
One of the helpful home remedies for heartburn is using basil leaves. Basil leaves may heal the soreness and irritation, soothe the effects of the acid reflux in the esophageal lining and stomach along with ease the digestion process. If you want to use this remedy, you ought to follow these steps below:
- Put 3 basil leaves into a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for about 15 minutes
- Then remove the leaves
- Drink this tea two or three times daily till your heartburn is taken away.
Besides, you can chew a few basil leaves after you take meals every day regularly so that your heartburn is gone.
20. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Clove
Clove is also a good remedy which can use so as to cure heartburn. In cloves, there are a lot of active constituents such as eugenol, anti-inflammatory and plenty of compounds, for example, pinene, capsaicin and so on that can help your stomach better. And to do this remedy, these things need to be prepared:
- Clove powder
- Hot water
After preparing well, what you need to do is following these steps below:
- Add a pinch of clove powder, a teaspoon honey into a cup of hot water
- Then mix everything well
- Let it cool
- Drink it two or three times during a day daily until your heartburn is gone.
Sometimes, you can chew cloves after taking meals, which can help you reduce heartburn.
21. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Honey
Honey brings a lot of advantages which can treat many diseases. It aids in soothing the damaged lining of your esophagus. It is loaded with anti-inflammatory effects that relieve pain in your throat and chest. Moreover, it has potassium that helps to restore the acid balance in your stomach . It will help you relieve heartburn in your stomach. So to make this remedy, you just need:
Now let’s do this:
- Add a teaspoon honey to a cup of milk
- Stir it well
- Drink the mixture two or three times during a day.
- Keep doing this every day until you feel better.
Another way to use honey as a heartburn treatment is that you should take a teaspoon honey before you go to bed.
22. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Mustard
If you still don’t know what you should choose to reduce your heartburn, let’s try mustard. Mustard can neutralize the acid in your stomach.  And when you decide to use this remedy, you should know how to apply it to get the best result.
- The first method is that you take a teaspoon of the yellow mustard right after you have heartburn.
- The second method is that you take a slice of bread and then put mustard on it. Finally, eat it.
Although you choose the first or the second method, you need to repeat every day at least once a day.
23. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Papaya
A familiar fruit which can help you to treat heartburn is the papaya. Papaya includes the digestive enzymes which can soothe your stomach and decrease heartburn. There are various ways to apply this remedy:
- You can eat fresh papaya every day after you take meals. In other words, you can use papaya in your dessert
- Sometimes, you can take dried papaya
- You also take two cups of papaya juice every day
- Or you just pop some papaya extract tablets after taking meals
And remember it is very safe to use in case you are pregnant
24. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Garlic
Garlic is one of the most popular cooking ingredients. And it is also known as a good home remedy for heartburn. It contains the antibacterial properties which can give you a relief from gastritis that causes the heartburn . So to apply this remedy, you can follow one of both ways which are mentioned below. Or sometimes, you can apply both of them.
- When heartburn happens, you need to eat one or two garlic cloves immediately. So it will make you feel better
- Besides, mix the garlic cloves with the apple cider vinegar well together. Then gulp a sip of the mixture when heartburn occurs
25. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Sage
In the list of home remedies for heartburn, sage is considered one of them too. Sage can promote digestion and help to regulate appetite . And to carry out this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Crush the sage leaves into powder
- Pour 2 teaspoons of the powder into a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for about 15 minutes
- Then strain it
- Drink it twice a day daily until your heartburn is taken away
26. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow root is one of the oldest and best home remedies for heartburn. So if you want to cure your heartburn by using this herb, please do as these steps below:
- Pour a teaspoon of marshmallow root powder into a cup of boiling water
- Mix everything well
- Let it cool
- Drink this tea 3 or 4 times during a day. And you just stop using this remedy when you heartburn is gone.
27. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Aniseed
A long time ago, people used aniseed as one of the best ways to treat heartburn. And now it still works because aniseeds can help the digestion. So you can choose one of both ways below to apply this remedy to cure your heartburn.
- You can chew a teaspoon of aniseed after you have meals, which can cure and prevent your heartburn
- Besides, you also sip the aniseed while they are having meals
- You can boil some aniseeds with water. Then leave it overnight. Finally, drink it during the day when you feel bad
And remember you ought to do this remedy day by day if you want to see the best result
28. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Jaggery
Jaggery is one of the effective heartburn treatments too. It can deal with the acid in the digestion. In addition, jaggery is a good way of preventing. However, the way you apply to cure heartburn is very simple. It just contains two steps:
- Cut the jaggery which can be bought in health and food store into the small pieces
- Take a piece and chew it after all meals
And pay attention that sucking the jaggery will bring better result than chewing it.
29. Home Remedies For Heartburn – Jeera
In the list of the natural and effective home remedies for heartburn, we need to mention jeera too. Jeera has the properties which may stimulate the production of the saliva that can help it better digestion, improve the metabolism, and reduce gas. Additionally, it can heal the ulcers. So now, to make this remedy, you can follow the instruction below:
- Add a few seeds of jeera into the water
- Boil it
- Then let it cool
- Drink it twice during a day.
- Keep doing this until your heartburn is taken away
Sometimes, you can chew a few seeds of jeera when heartburn occurs
Prevention is better than cure. So if you want to get rid of heartburn, you ought to follow these notices here:
- Avoid eating too much at once
- Eat several meals a day instead of three big meals
- Eat more vegetables
- Drink more water, fruit juice and milk every day
- Chew sugar – free gum about 30 minutes after eating
- Lose weight
- Eat meals before going to bed at least 2 hours
- Eat slowly and bite small pieces
- Have a healthy diet
- Take exercises or yoga regularly every day
- Try to give up smoking or drinking alcohol
- Stay away from tight-fitting skirts or pants
- Remove or loosen the snug belts
- Get a massage every day
- Reduce stress by listening to music, reading a book, and so on.
- Avoid lying down right after having meals
- Take antacid capsules
- Keep your head up and lay on your left side
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of 29 most effective home remedies for heartburn relief that work naturally and fast, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your heartburn easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any home remedy for heartburn. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for heartburn, please leave them below.