Most of the small babies suffer from diaper rash. This doesn't mean that you do not take care of your kids carefully. However, if you don't treat diaper rash, it can lead to a bacterial or yeast infection, which makes the problem worse. This disease is characterized by a rash and inflamed skin in the kids' diaper area including their genital area, buttocks, and upper thighs. If your children are suffering from diaper rash, you must let them be with a bare bottom in order that their skin can breathe as well as eliminate moisture on their own. There are many natural ways of healing diaper rash in babies at home by using natural solutions such as herbs, vegetables, fruits, and other ingredients. In this article, Effective Remedies will show you the best home remedies for diaper rash in babies. The following writing collected information from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Top 25 Natural Home Remedies For Diaper Rash In Babies
The main reason causing diaper rash is when your children expose to the dirty or wet diaper for a long time. Other common reasons are food allergies, yeast infections, digestive problems, poorly laundered diapers, and sensitivity to the diaper. Children with diaper rash experience many symptoms such as red skin, blisters or inflammation.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda may help the children’s skin in neutralizing the acids that may lead to diaper rash. This ingredient will also dry out their affected area as well as make it dry and clean to keep the infection at bay.
Remedy 1: Taking bath with baking soda and warm water
- Baking soda – 2 tablespoons
- Enough warm water
- First of all, you put the warm water into a basin or tub or basin.
- Then, you put the baking soda in it and stir well.
- Next, you let your baby’s bottom soak in this warm bathwater for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you use a soft towel to dry the affected area completely.
- You should apply this remedy 2 or 3 times daily.
Remedy 2: Baking soda wipe
- Baking soda – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1 bowl
- At first, you put the baking soda into the water and stir them well.
- Next, you soak a cloth-diapering to this baking soda water.
- You wrap it to remove the excess water.
- Finally, you use this cloth to wipe gently the baby bottom or the affected area.
- You let the baby’s skin dry completely before wearing a new one for your baby.
- You do not apply baking soda if the baby’s skin is broken.
- You don’t apply baking soda too much because it can lead to the itching along with irritation to your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Remember to dry the baby’s skin completely as well as clean it after applying the baking soda.
2. Home Remedies For Diaper Rash – Plain Yogurt, Olive Oil, & Baking Soda
The combination of plain yogurt, olive oil, and baking soda is also one of the home remedies for diaper rash that you should try.
- Plain yogurt – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 3 or 4 drops
- Firstly, you apply the yogurt directly to the baby’s diaper area with rashes. You should do this step gently and then let it sit on your baby’s skin for several minutes.
- Next, you rinse this affected area with water.
- You allow it to dry completely.
- Then, you put the baking powder into this area.
- After about an hour, you apply the olive oil directly to the diaper area of your baby. This can protect your baby's sensitive skin from the acidic waste.
Oatmeal is high in protein which may soothe your baby’s soft skin and assist in preserving the skin’s natural protective barrier. The chemical compound saponin in oatmeal also helps to eliminate the dirt along with unwanted oils from the baby’s skin pores.
Here are 2 home remedies for diaper rash with using the oatmeal that you may follow.
Remedy 1: Dried oatmeal
- Dried oatmeal – 1 tablespoon
- First of all, you put the dried oatmeal into the bathtub filled with water and then stir them well.
- Then, you let your baby soak in this oatmeal water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Next, you soak your baby’s bottom to this water. This water has a soothing effect on your baby’s skin.
- You should apply this way for twice a day to treat diaper rash.
Remedy 2: Oatmeal, milk powder, and baking soda
- Oatmeal – ¼ cup
- Milk powder – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda – 2 teaspoons
- At first, you grate the oatmeal to get the oatmeal powder.
- Then, you put the baking soda along with milk powder into this oatmeal powder.
- After that, you mix them together and store this powder mixture in an airtight jar.
- To apply this powder mixture, you just add 1 or 2 teaspoons of it in the baby bath tub which is filled with lukewarm water.
- Next, you let your baby sit in this for about 15 minutes.
- Finally, you use a soft towel to dry the baby’s skin completely.
- You should keep applying this remedy for about twice or thrice daily.
Urine contains the alkaline which can burn the baby’s skin as acid. However, the vinegar solution will help to prevent it completely and thereby helping your children to get rid of this disease.
Remedy 1: Vinegar
- Vinegar – ½ cup
- Clean water – ½ bucket
- Firstly, you pour the vinegar to the water and mix them well.
- Then, you wipe the bottom of your baby with this water.
- This remedy will help you to eliminate the soap buildup in the baby’s diaper along with the urine smell.
Remedy 2: White vinegar
- White vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Firstly, you pour the white vinegar into the water to get a weak vinegar solution.
- Next, you wipe the bottom of your baby with this solution whenever you change the diaper.
- With this simple way, you will assist your baby in relieving the irritation and diaper rash.
5. Home Remedies For Diaper Rash – Coconut Oil With Tea Tree Oil
When the fungus Candida albicans develop too much, it can make your baby suffer from yeast diaper rash. If your baby’s rash looks like the open chicken pox or the acnes, you may apply tea coconut oil combined with tea tree oil as one of the home remedies for diaper rash. Both of two these oils contain anti-fungal properties. Hence, they will heal yeast diaper rash more quickly.
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
- Tea tree oil – 3 to 5 drops
- You firstly mix two these oils together.
- Then, you apply some drops of this mixture directly onto the baby’s diaper area after you wash and dry it.
- You allow it to stay on there for a few minutes and then wearing a new diaper for baby.
- You should do this process again for about 2 or 3 times every day.
- Remember not to use undiluted tea tree oil as it can burn the skin of your baby.
If the moisture and friction are the reason causing diaper rash of your kid, you may apply the following steps
- A pinch of cornstarch
- Firstly, you wipe and dry the affected skin of your kid.
- Then, you sprinkle the cornstarch on the skin.
- After that, you wear a new diaper for the kid.
7. Olive Oil
As you know, this oil is safe and natural to apply on your kid’s sensitive skin. The anti-inflammatory properties in it may soothe your kid’s skin and reduce the redness along with itching caused by diaper rash. Moreover, olive oil also contains anti-microbial properties and thereby assisting in healing the microbial skin infections like psoriasis, eczema, and diaper rash.
- Olive oil – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Water – 1 teaspoon
- You simply mix the olive oil and water together.
- Then you stir them well until they form a white milky emulsion.
- After that, you wipe and dry the affected skin of your baby.
- Next, you apply this emulsion directly to this diaper rash.
- Finally, you wear your baby with a new clean diaper.
8. Shea Butter
Another remedy in the list of top 25 home remedies for diaper rash is Shea butter. Shea butter contains anti-fungal along with anti-inflammatory properties that can assist in fighting the yeast. It not only helps the kid to eliminate diaper rash but also prevents its future occurrence.
- Pure Shea butter
- At first, you clean the affected skin of your baby properly with lukewarm water or a gentle soap.
- Next, you use a soft towel to make it dry completely.
- Then you put the Shea butter in your palms and rub it till it is melted.
- Now, you apply the melted butter directly to the kid’s skin which is affected.
- You should let it sit on your kid’s skin for several minutes before wearing a new diaper for your kid.
9. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract can work as a skin cleanser. It also contains a property which has the ability to fight the germs and thereby giving your kid a quick relief from diaper rashes. It also is beneficial in the kid’s health.
- Grapefruit seed extract – 6 drops
- Water – 5 ounces
- As the extract of the grapefruit is too powerful, you may not apply it directly to the kid’s skin. Hence, you have to dilute this extract with water to get a weak solution.
- Then you wipe the kid’s bottom with this solution whenever you change the diaper in order to assist your kid in treating diaper rash quickly.
10. Warm Bath
Perhaps this is one of the most home remedies for diaper rash that you should try using for your child if you want to help the child get rid of this problem.
- Warm water
- Firstly, you fill the warm water in your child bath tub.
- Then, you let your child sit in this warm water for about 10 or 15 minutes.
- You’d better allow your child to soak like that for thrice a day.
- Or you can also let your child’s bottom soak in this warm bath when you change the diaper.
- Remember to let the diaper area dry completely after taking the bath with warm water.
11. Home Remedies For Diaper Rash – Aloe Vera Gel With Baking Soda, & Lard
The combination of aloe vera gel with baking soda and lard also helps a lot in treating diaper rash.
- Baking soda – 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Lard – 2 tablespoons
- Aloe vera gel – ½ teaspoon
- First of all, you put the aloe vera gel to the lard and mix them well
- Then, you wipe the affected area of your kid with lukewarm water and let it dry completely.
- Next, you apply a thin layer of this lard mixture directly to your kid’s diaper area.
- Then you rub the baking powder in it.
- Finally, you may wear a new diaper for your kid or let the fresh air heal the affected area for a while.
12. Epsom Salt With Warm Water And Baking Soda
If your baby has the yeast infection, you can apply Epsom salt combined with baking soda to heal it.
Hence, taking a bath with baking soda and Epsom salt is one of the effective home remedies for diaper rash you can apply it for your kid.
- Baking soda – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Epsom salt – 1 tablespoon
- Warm water
- At first, you pour the warm water to fill the baby bath tub.
- Then, you add the baking soda and Epsom salt to this water and mix them together.
- You let your baby sit in this warm bath for about 10 minutes.
- After that, you let this affected area dry completely.
- You should apply this remedy for about 2 or 3 times per day.
Maalox may neutralize the acids on your kid’s irritated skin and make it cool. Therefore, Maalox is considered as one of the natural home remedies for diaper rash.
- First of all, you soak a cotton ball directly in this liquid.
- Next, you apply this cotton ball to the kid’s bottom and let it dry completely.
- Finally, you wear a new diaper for your kid.
14. Coconut Oil
In fact, coconut oil is known as a natural ingredient which can help a lot in treating many skin problems for the baby such as moisturizing, cleaning or even diaper rash. The antifungal properties in this oil are beneficial in curing the yeast diaper rash. Here are some natural home remedies for diaper rash using coconut oil you can apply for your baby.
Remedy 1: Coconut oil
- A few drops of coconut oil
- At first, you wipe the baby’s bottom properly with warm water while taking a bath or after you change the diaper.
- You let the skin of your baby dry completely for several minutes and then use your fingers tips to massage the coconut oil to the affected area of the baby.
- You allow it to dry before wearing the new diaper.
- You may apply this process to heal the problems related to the yeast diaper rash.
Remedy 2: Coconut oil combined with lavender oil
- Coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Lavender essential oil – A few drops
- At first, you pour the coconut oil to a glass jar.
- Then, you boil the water in a saucepan.
- Next, you take it out of the heat and put the glass jar containing coconut oil to the saucepan to make the oil get melted.
- You take it out of this water and let it stand for a while.
- Now, you add the lavender oil in this.
- You stir them properly and then cover the jar.
- Now, you wipe the diaper area of your baby and dry it.
- You apply this oil directly to the baby’s skin and do this process whenever you change a diaper for the baby
Remedy 3: Home remedies for diaper rash – Homemade herbal diaper cream
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Shea butter – ¼ cup
- Dried calendula flowers – 1 tablespoon
- Dried chamomile flowers – 1 tablespoon
- Arrowroot powder (optional) – 1 teaspoon
- You firstly boil the water in a saucepan.
- Then, you add the coconut oil in a bowl and put this bowl into the boiling water to make the coconut oil get melted.
- Next, you pour the chamomile along with calendula flowers into this oil when you heat it at the medium flame.
- Or you may heat it for 1 hour or till the coconut oil transfer into yellow.
- After that, you take it out of the flame and use a strainer to strain the coconut oil to eliminate the flower residue.
- Then you add the Shea butter, arrowroot powder into this herbal coconut oil. You’d better stir them well or use a blender to get a thick paste.
- Finally, you store this cream in a glass jar and apply it to heal diaper rash for your child.
- To apply it, you put this cream to the affected area of your baby after washing this area or whenever you change a new diaper.
Remedy 4: Coconut oil combined with grape seed extract
- Coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Grape seed extract – 2 to 3 drops
- Distilled water – 2 tablespoons
- Firstly, you mix the coconut oil well with the grape seed extract.
- Next, you pour the distilled water into the mixture and mix them well.
- You pour this mixture in a spray bottle.
- Whenever you change a new diaper, you wipe and dry the baby’s affected area. Then, you spray this mixture into this area.
- You’d better let it on a while so that the baby’s skin may absorb it completely.
Beeswax also one of the great home remedies for diaper rash that you try.
Remedy 1: Beeswax, coconut oil, Shea butter, and vegetable glycerin
- Beeswax – 1 tablespoon
- Shea butter – ½ cup
- Coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Vegetable glycerin – 2 tablespoons
- First of all, you put the Shea butter, beeswax, and coconut oil into a saucepan.
- Next, you place the saucepan on the heat at the medium level to melt the mixture.
- When this mixture melts completely, you take it out of the heat and then you add the vegetable glycerin in it
- Now, you beat this mixture in an immersion blender till it form a creamy.
- You store it in an airtight jar and let it cool down to get a thick cream or paste.
- You apply this paste directly to the affected skin of your baby until the baby gets rid of diaper rash completely.
Remedy 2: Beeswax, zinc oxide powder, and coconut oil
- Beeswax – 1/8 cup
- Coconut oil – 2/3 cup
- Zinc oxide powder – ¾ tablespoon
- At first, you pour the coconut oil along with beeswax to a glass bowl.
- Then, you warm them by using a double boiler at the low-medium heat for several minutes till these ingredients get melted completely.
- Next, you put the zinc oxide powder into the mixture.
- Now, you blend this mixture for a while with the help of a blender till the powder is mixed completely without clumps.
- After that, you store this cream in an airtight jar and let it cool and solidify.
- You apply this cream directly on the baby’s affected area and store this cream for the future purposes.
16. Cranberry Juice
You may use cranberry juice to keep diaper rash at bay because the constituents in this juice may protect your baby from the bacteria sticking into the bladder so as to prevent the infection. This is one of the effective home remedies for diaper rash.
- 3 or 4 ounces of cranberry juice
- You simply give the cranberry juice to the baby (older infant).
- You’d better repeat this remedy on a regular basis to help your baby in getting rid of the problem faster.
The anti-allergic properties in plantain can assist you in treating diaper rash caused by allergic reaction for your baby. It can also soothe and relieve the inflammation associated with a rash.
You can follow 2 home remedies for diaper rash using the plantain herb.
Remedy 1: Using plantain oil
- Plantain oil – Some drops
- At first, you put the plantain oil directly to the baby’s bottom and massage gently. It will help your baby to relieve the inflammation as well as to heal diaper rash quickly.
- You let it dry for 3 to 5 minutes and then wear a new diaper for the baby.
Remedy 2: Plantain herb with olive oil
- Plantain herb
- An airtight jar
- Olive oil
- Beeswax (1 tablespoon for 1 to 3 ounce of olive oil)
- Firstly, you clean some plantain leaves properly and chop them coarsely.
- Next, you put the chopped plantain to fill a jar.
- Then, you add the olive oil to this jar till it is ¾ full of the jar.
- You may push the leaves to the jar with the help of a spoon so that these leaves are merged into the oil and you may remove the air bubbles.
- After that, you use the tight lid to cover the jar and you let it soak for 6 or 7 weeks.
- You strain the oil and put it into another jar.
- For the ointment, you heat this oil on a low heat. You may also use the double boiler.
- The next step, you put this oil to the beeswax and stir them well.
- When they get melted, you let it cool down.
- You finally store it in a container and use it to apply into the affected skin area of your baby whenever needed.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 25 natural home remedies for diaper rash, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to help your babies to get rid of the diaper rash quickly and easily. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for diaper rash, please leave them below.