An ulcer in your stomach, or also called a gastric ulcer, is known as a lesion or sore that develops in the lining of your stomach. Sometimes, it may also occur in your intestine’s upper part. According to AGA (the American Gastroenterological Association), there are about 4 million people who have ulcers in their stomach and 1 in every 10 people will suffer from a stomach ulcer at least one time during their lifetime.
People (both men and women) of any age may get ulcers in the stomach. It must be treated quickly and immediately or else this ulcer can get worse. Luckily, in this writing, we will show you the best natural home remedies for ulcers in the stomach without any side effect. To know more about ulcers in the stomach and the natural remedies, continue reading.
Top 17 Natural Home Remedies For Ulcers In Stomach
The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies that can be used alongside usual medical treatment. Always consult your doctor about your ulcers, and if symptoms are getting worse rather than better.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Ulcers In Stomach
Ulcers in your stomach often occur when the lining of your stomach or your intestine’s upper part is irritated by the harmful impacts of stomach acid. This may happen due to various factors such as an infection by the bacterium H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori), overuse of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, radiation therapy, burns, physical injury, stress because of serious illness, Crohn's disease, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, liver cirrhosis, Behcet disease, and drinking too much alcohol.
The most typical symptom of an ulcer in the stomach is a pain or burning sensation in the area between the belly button and chest. The pain may last for several minutes to a few hours, which will depend on the severity of this problem. Other symptoms include bloating, heartburn, indigestion, belching, poor appetite, nausea, weight loss, and vomiting. Complications of a gastric ulcer may include perforation, bleeding, and blockage of the stomach.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
II. Home Remedies For Ulcers In Stomach
1. Cabbage And Carrot
Cabbage is a lactic acid food that can help to produce an amino acid, stimulating your blood flow to your stomach lining. This will aid in strengthening your stomach lining and then get rid of the ulcer. It further has vitamin U, an anti-peptic ulcer factor that may stimulate the healing of peptic ulcers.
Cabbage is also rich in vitamin C, which is especially beneficial for patients with Helicobacter pylori infections  . Moreover, experiments have also indicated that fresh carrot juice has vitamin U that is a good anti-peptic ulcer agent.
- Cabbage – ½
- Carrots – 2
- Cut the carrots and raw cabbage piece into small pieces.
- Put them into a blender to take the juice.
- Pour this juice into another clean cup.
- Drink about ½ cup of this solution before your meals and before your bedtime.
- Repeat the method every day for a few weeks.
2. Cayenne Pepper And Warm Water
Surprisingly, using cayenne pepper is one of the most effective home remedies for ulcers in the stomach. According to a review, the compound capsaicin in cayenne pepper may inhibit the secretion of acids in your stomach, stimulate gastric mucosal blood flow and mucus secretions, and boost the production of alkali. Therefore, it can prevent and heal ulcers.
Remedy 1: Cayenne pepper and warm water
- Cayenne pepper – 1/8 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Add cayenne pepper to the glass of warm water.
- Stir them well.
- Consume this solution immediately.
- You may have this for about one or two times per day for the 2 to 3 days. Then, you gradually increase cayenne pepper up to ¼ teaspoon two times per day for the rest of the day in this week.
Remedy 2: Cayenne capsules
- Cayenne capsules – 3
- Water – 1 cup
- Buy cayenne capsules at health food stores.
- Take three capsules per day after your meals for one week.
- Follow this simple remedy regularly.
- You can also include a pinch of this pepper into your soups, meats, and some other savory dishes and consume them.
3. Bananas With Honey And Milk
For treating a stomach ulcer, both unripe and ripe bananas are very effective. Banana contains antibacterial properties that can inhibit the growth of stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori. Raw bananas possess compounds such as pectin and phosphatidylcholine that strengthen mucosal resistance of your stomach to ulcerogens and may combat peptic ulcers. Bananas can also protect your digestive system by removing the acidity of your gastric juices. This will assist you in reducing inflammation and strengthening your stomach lining.
Remedy 1: Bananas and honey
- 2 or 3 bananas
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Peel the bananas and cut them into small slices.
- Put these slices in the sunlight until they get dry.
- Grind these dried banana pieces to make a fine powder.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of this powder with honey together.
- Have this mixture.
- Repeat the method for about two or three times per day for about one week.
Remedy 2: Bananas and milk
- 2 bananas
- 1 glass of milk
- Take bananas with a glass of milk.
- Consume these bananas along with this milk.
- This remedy will reduce the acidity level of your gastric juices and lower the irritation that occurs in your stomach.
Coconut is great for people who suffer from stomach ulcers thanks to its antibacterial properties. It will kill the bacteria causing ulcers in your stomach. Coconut milk and coconut water both contain antiulcerogenic and cytoprotective properties, which are effective at reducing and managing stomach ulcers. Besides, protein from coconut can help develop the immune system to the digestive disease.
Remedy 1: Coconut water or coconut milk
- Coconut water or coconut milk – 1 cup
- Drink the tender coconut water or fresh coconut milk daily.
- Consume it for a few times per day.
- You can also eat the kernel of a tender coconut.
- Follow this remedy for at least 1 week.
Remedy 2: Coconut oil
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Take coconut oil with a clean spoon.
- Consume it immediately.
- You may have it for two times per day, one time in the morning and one time at night for 1 week.
5. Fenugreek, Water, Honey, And Milk
Fenugreek seeds are known for the health benefits along with powerful healing properties. You can also use it to treat ulcers in your stomach. Having a rich source of mucilaginous compound, fenugreek may protect the lining of your stomach by coating it with mucus, thereby facilitating the healing process.
Remedy 1: Fenugreek seeds and water
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Add these fenugreek seeds to two cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil for a few minutes.
- Strain and add honey to it.
- Consume this water.
- Repeat the method for two times per day for 1 week.
Remedy 2: Fenugreek seed powder and milk
- Fenugreek seed powder – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – 1 cup
- Take fenugreek seed powder and milk.
- Consume this powder along with a cup of milk.
- Follow this method two times per day for 1 week.
Remedy 3: Fenugreek leaves and honey
- Fenugreek leaves – a few
- Water – 2 cups
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Add these fenugreek leaves and water into a small pot.
- Allow it to boil for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the honey to this.
- Consume it immediately.
- Follow this way for two times per day.
6. Licorice, Water, And Cooked Broken Rice
According to several studies, licorice works effectively for preventing and healing ulcers in the stomach  . It can also aid your intestines and your stomach in producing more protective and beneficial mucus, which will form a coating over your stomach lining. This will ease the pain from ulcers as well as speed up the healing process. Licorice root can help eliminate the symptoms of acid reflux and heartburn associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Licorice root powder – ½ teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Cooked broken white rice – 1 cup
- Mix licorice root powder into the cup of water.
- Cover it and keep it aside for overnight.
- In the morning, you add the cooked broken white rice to this infusion.
- Finally, you can enjoy it.
- Repeat the method daily for 1 week.
- Alternatively, drink licorice tea for about two or three times per day for 1 week.
- You can also chew and swallow 2 to 4 deglycyrrhizinated licorice tablets for about three times per day for about 1 week. You may easily find the 380-milligram tablets at various health food stores.
Note: Licorice may lead to side effects, such as numbness or muscle pain in the extremities or interfere with certain medications. Consider speaking to your doctor before using the licorice.
7. Raw Honey
Raw honey contains potent healing properties that can aid in treating stomach ulcers. It also has an enzyme called glucose oxidase, which may produce hydrogen peroxide. This will help to kill harmful bacteria that cause ulcers. Honey contains antibacterial properties, which may help combat H. pylori, one of the leading causes of stomach ulcers . Furthermore, it can soothe and decrease the inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Raw honey – 2 tablespoons
- Consume raw honey daily.
- You should have it in the early morning with your empty stomach.
- This will help you to cleanse your bowel, strengthen your stomach lining, and treat stomach ulcers.
8. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera may be an effective treatment for stomach ulcers  . According to an animal study, aloe vera consumption significantly decreased the amount of stomach acid. It also reduces acidity and soothes the burning sensation related to stomach ulcers.
- Aloe vera juice – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Extract about 1 tablespoon of the gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Add this gel to the glass of water.
- Mix them well and have this.
- You may drink the juice for one or two times per day.
9. Garlic And Water
Garlic can also help you to treat ulcers in your stomach. According to some researchers, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties of garlic may keep the Helicobacter pylori bacterium levels in check, which will contribute to the development of ulcers in your stomach.
- Garlic cloves – 2 or 3
- Water – 1 glass
- Crush these garlic cloves.
- Consume the crushed garlic cloves along with a glass of water.
- You may do this remedy daily.
10. Drumstick Leaves And Yogurt
Drumstick leaves may help reduce peptic ulcers and inhibit further damage thanks to their anti-inflammatory and healing properties  .
- Drumstick leaves – a few
- Yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Crush these drumstick leaves to make a paste.
- Add the yogurt to this paste.
- Consume this mixture.
- Repeat the method regularly.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda, And Water
Baking soda can help restore the pH of the stomach. It may help treat ulcers in the stomach, when mixed with apple cider vinegar, also may alleviate the pain.
This remedy will help you to reduce the discomfort and pain caused by ulcers. It also aids in reducing the burning sensation and acidity.
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Drinking water – 2 cups
- Baking soda – a pinch
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar with the drinking water.
- Add the baking soda to this water and mix them well.
- Enjoy this solution immediately.
- Follow this method daily.
12. Wood Apple Leaves
Wood apple leaves, also known as bael, can be considered as one of the best home remedies for ulcers in the stomach  . The tannins present in these leaves may help you to protect your stomach from the damage of excess acid secretion. The juice extracted from the wood apple fruit may also aid in reducing the pain and inflammation thanks to its mucilage content.
- Wood apple leaves – 2 or 3
- Water – 1 cup
- Soak these wood apple leaves into the cup of water for overnight.
- In the morning, you strain this mixture and have it when your stomach is empty.
- Follow this remedy daily for several weeks.
We hope that this article can help you find out the best solution for treating ulcers simply and easily. However, the article is only for informational purposes and thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any natural home remedy. If you have any question or query, or you know other natural home remedies for ulcers in stomach, please leave them below.