Fibromyalgia (FM) is a common syndrome which afflicts 2–8% of the world population, most of whom are women. It causes chronic body pain and mental suffering. People having fibromyalgia also experience fatigue, tiredness, sleep problems, cognitive dysfunction, etc. Do not worry when you are suffering from fibromyalgia because we are going to give you the natural home solutions to help you get rid of this disease. Continue reading this article to learn more about the best proven home remedies for fibromyalgia symptoms and pain relief and find the most suitable home remedy for you.
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
- Natural home remedies for restless leg syndrome (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Julian Nesbitt)
- Soothe knee pain with these natural home treatments
- Home remedies for back pain relief
Top 11 Natural Proven Home Remedies For Fibromyalgia Symptoms And Pain Relief
The cause of fibromyalgia is still unknown. However, it is believed that fibromyalgia is the problem related to the pain processing of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). In that case, patients have a lower threshold and an increased sensitivity to pain. Other factors are also suspicious, including genetics, stress, trauma or infections.
II. Signs And Symptoms
Fibromyalgia appears with widespread pain along the body; common trigger points are chest, shoulders, head, etc. Patients also witness fatigue, muscle spasms, and sleep disturbance. Other symptoms related to cognitive dysfunction include memory impairment, difficulty concentrating, depression, and anxiety. Some people also report bowel or bladder problems, restless legs syndrome, tingling and numbness, and sensitivity to lights, noise, or temperature. Doctors diagnose fibromyalgia by analyzing consistent symptoms and medical tests to identify the cause.
III. Home Remedies For Fibromyalgia
1. Green Tea
Green tea is one of the best natural home remedies for fibromyalgia. The antioxidants in green tea help protect cells from harmful effects. Moreover, green tea has an anti-inflammatory called quercetin, which may reduce the swelling resulted from this painful disorder. Using green tea regularly can relieve the pain caused by fibromyalgia.
- Add green tea (2 teaspoons) in a cup of water after boiling.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drink this hot tea.
- Do it twice daily for a month.
2. Cayenne Pepper
According to many studies, capsaicin is a compound in cayenne pepper, which may relieve the pain of fibromyalgia. Capsaicin is also effective at treating back pain, muscle pain, psoriasis, and mouth sores. Moreover, it is helpful for blood circulation.
- Have cayenne pepper in your daily diet.
- For the capsaicin cream with 0.025% capsaicin, you can apply it to the affected skin and leave for 30 minutes. Do it three times daily.
- If you want to use cayenne pepper capsules, ask your doctor for proper dosage.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used commonly because of its medical benefits. This ingredient maintains the pH level of the body and improves blood circulation. Moreover, it helps decrease some symptoms caused by fibromyalgia such as migraine headaches, tiredness, joint aches, etc.
- Add 2 – 3 teaspoons of undiluted apple cider vinegar to 4 teaspoons of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this water.
- Apply it to the skin.
- Do it twice daily for at least one month.
- You dissolve 2 to 3 teaspoons of undiluted apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- Add some honey if you want.
- Drink this mixture twice every day for a month.
Turmeric is a popular ingredient for cooking. Besides, turmeric is effective for treating kidney disorders. It also helps prevent the body from some diseases because it works as an amazing antibiotic. Besides, turmeric is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which can treat fibromyalgia. Moreover, curcumin present in turmeric may help relieve the pain coming from fibromyalgia.
- Add ½ – 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a cup of milk
- Boil the mixture and let it cool.
- Drink it once or twice daily.
5. Ginger And Honey
The anti-inflammatory properties present in ginger make this ingredient become a treatment for reducing the swelling in the joints . Moreover, ginger contains the pain-relieving properties, which help treat serious joint pain. On the other hand, honey has antimicrobial properties, which help you build a strong immune system. The combination of ginger and honey is one of the effective home remedies for fibromyalgia.
- Grate 2 fingers of fresh ginger and simmer them in a hot glass of water.
- Add little honey to the ginger water.
- Allow it to cool.
- Drink it twice daily for at least a month.
6. Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil has a large amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which may reduce the inflammation and neuropathic pain. It also helps decrease the severe joint pain and stiffness, which can lead to a painful condition. Therefore, cod liver oil is a great treatment for fibromyalgia.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil to a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture before going to bed.
- Do it daily for a month.
- You should eat herring, anchovies, salmon, tuna, and sardines, which have omega-3 fatty acids like cod liver oil.
- People who are vegetarians can have omega-3 fatty acids from flax seeds, walnuts, soybean oil, canola oil, etc.
- If you are consuming anticoagulant drugs, ask for your doctor’s advice before eating food rich in omega-3 fatty acids or using cod liver oil
Massage may help reduce and relieve the chronic pain for those with fibromyalgia. Since it includes manipulation of tissues under your body, it helps blood circulation, reduces mental stress, and improves the delivery of vitamins and nutrients all over the body. You can also relax and free your mind during the massage to take full benefits of this magical therapy. Fibromyalgia patients should have an experienced therapist to do the massage for best results.
8. Epsom Salt
This salt is magnesium sulfate because it is made from magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen. Fibromyalgia can appear because of a lack of magnesium. Thus, Epsom salt may help you treat fibromyalgia by supplying magnesium when you take Epsom salt baths. Moreover, it relieves the itching or burning sensation and protects your body from the growth of bacteria.
- Add about 2 cups of Epsom salt to warm bathwater.
- Have a bath for 20 minutes.
- Follow it three times weekly for at least one month.
9. Acupuncture And Acupressure
Chinese people used acupuncture and acupressure a long time ago. Acupuncture and acupressure help treat the fibromyalgia because of controlling the symptoms. Apart from relieving the pain, these two methods also make us relax and less anxious.
You should ask your doctor, neurologist, or physical therapist to have a suitable way to treat fibromyalgia by using acupuncture and acupressure. Besides, it is important to do meditation, exercises, body massages, and other therapies to have a good result.
10. Yoga And Meditation
In 2010, Oregon Health & Science University researchers found out that yoga may help treat symptoms such as pain, tiredness, poor memory, anxiety, and depression caused by fibromyalgia.
Plus, according to Canadian researchers at the York University in 2011, people who join 75-minute hatha yoga class twice weekly for eight weeks will get rid of the pain.
In conclusion, doing yoga and meditation will help people not only decrease the fibromyalgia symptoms but also improve their health.
- Spend 20 – 40 minutes daily practicing yoga
- Participate in a tai chi class.
- Spend 20 – 30 minutes daily doing mindfulness meditation
11. Physical Exercise
Physical exercise is good for not only mental health such as reduce stress but also physical health, especially for fibromyalgia patients because it helps prevent muscle wasting and makes the body come back to its normal condition.
You should start doing low-impact exercises about three times weekly. After that, increase the duration and frequency. You can do are walking, aerobics, and other exercises. You can also strengthen your muscles and joints by practicing several strength-training activities, such as push-ups or squats. Begin slowly and increase your activity periods gradually without pushing you too hard to avoid injury. Make sure to do some warm-ups before exercise and follow proper instructions of activity.
When you start, you may feel difficult to continue because of the pain and tiredness caused by fibromyalgia and exercise. However, you should keep doing and you will find out that exercise is very helpful to treat fibromyalgia.
IV. Additional Tips
1. Sleep Well
Remain good sleep quality is the key to fight against fibromyalgia because patients having poor sleep get worse symptoms and increased fatigue. Follow these tips to have a better sleeping habit:
- Sleep and wake up at the same time each day.
- Get away from electronic devices such as TV or smartphone before going to bed because the blue light from their screens can disrupt your sleep.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, coffee or smoking before bedtime.
- Avoid eating much after dinner.
- Create a good bedtime routine.
- If your sleep disorders continue, visit your doctor for professional treatment.
2. Reduce Stress
Stress is a dangerous factor that causes and develops fibromyalgia. Some sources of stress like work, study or family may increase the risk of the syndrome. Remember to keep yourself from stress by having time for relaxation every day. Enjoy your hobbies, go out with friends, practice yoga, do whatever you want to feel relaxed, and keep your mind free. Some studies show that yoga or tai chi can not only reduce stress but also improve physical health condition.
3. Have A Healthy And Balanced Diet
Your diet is important to help avoid inflammatory components of fibromyalgia. Eat organic whole foods and avoid processed and prepared foods. Consume more fruits and vegetables, which are rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, halibut has omega-3 fatty acid and helps reduce inflammation of fibromyalgia. Increase your fiber intake and eliminate sugar from your diet. People who have fibromyalgia feel better when supplementing vitamin D. Therefore, remember to take a vitamin D supplement. However, make sure that you ask for your doctor’s advice because too much can make you toxic.
Hope this article can help you in the fight with fibromyalgia. Please share with us your thoughts or experience if you know other home remedies for fibromyalgia. All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.