The first step which you ought to do to treat the oral thrush condition is to boost your immune system by keeping a healthy diet every day. In addition, maintaining good hygiene, taking exercises regularly and getting proper rest or sleep are also good ideas in order to treat oral thrush. Besides, applying natural remedies which you can do at home is a good way in order to control the infection and reduce the symptoms of oral thrush. If you want to know what they are, please continue reading this article on our page Effectiveremedies.com which presents to you the best natural home remedies for oral thrush in adults & babies.
Top 23 Natural Home Remedies For Oral Thrush In Adults & Babies
Oral thrush is one of the popular diseases in adults & babies. It is known as oropharyngeal candidiasis. It is one type of yeast infection, which develops on your tongue as well as inside your mouth. And oral thrush happens when your immune system cannot maintain the natural defense against the Candida albicans fungus; as a result, this fungus grows out of control. In addition, this infection can lead to slightly creamy-white lesions, which are on your tongue or inner cheeks. If it is not controlled in time, it is able to spread to the roof of your gums, tonsils, mouth, along with the back of your throat. If you do not know whether you have oral thrush, you ought to see whether you are suffering from symptoms of this condition. Some common oral thrush symptoms include soreness, loss of taste, redness, difficulty in swallowing, as well as a cottony feeling. And of course, anybody is able to develop oral thrush. However, infants, elderly people, or those who wear dentures or have a weak immune system have more ability to get oral thrush than others. Additionally, people who are suffering from diabetes, cancer, or a vaginal yeast infection also get this disease easily.
These are 23 natural and effective home remedies for oral thrush in adults and babies which you are looking for:
1. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush with Lemon Grass & Lemon Juice
Lemon grass and lemon juice both are well known for their antifungal qualities, which make them effective home remedies for oral thrush. They can be used frequently and are safe as well. Plus, lemon juice contains the highly acidic nature that helps the Candida yeast to grow and survive in the mouth. Besides, lemon juice acts as one natural bleaching agent helping to lighten skin tan and it is used in many skin fairness products widely. You can simply consume lemon grass infused drinks plus lemon water to treat oral thrush. Alternatively, you can directly apply lemon juice in your mouth a couple of times daily to see faster results.
2. Home Remedies For Oral Thrush with Baking Soda & Vinegar
This is an effective and inexpensive treatment for oral thrush. Researchers in a study published in the journal Brazilian Oral Research in 2009 discovered that 5% sodium bicarbonate is very effective at decreasing Candida albicans . You can rinse the mouth with baking soda (1/2 tsp) in one glass of water two times daily. Or, for thrush on the nipples, nursing mothers can benefit from applying one combination of 1 tsp of white distilled vinegar, 1 tsp of baking soda, and 8 oz of water to the infected area.
Salt is said to be one of the best home remedies for oral thrush. It can create an inhospitable environment for fungus. Furthermore, it is able to help you to relieve symptoms of oral thrush quickly. Gargling salt water is also one very soothing remedy to cure many mouth disorders such as bad odor, oral thrush and tooth ache. It destroys bacteria, germs, fungus and yeast as well. This is the way which you can follow in order to treat this fungal condition:
- Firstly, take a half or a teaspoon of salt and a cup of warm water
- Next mix them well together
- Then gargle with this solution thoroughly
- Finally, spit the solution out
- Do this remedy a few times every day until you get a positive result
Sometimes, you can use salt as below:
- First take an enough amount of salt
- Then sprinkle it inside your mouth and on your tongue
- After that, use your finger to rub salt gently
- Next do this for a few seconds
- Finally, wash off your mouth with warm water
- Do this treatment twice per day in a few days or until you get a positive result
4. Natural Home Remedies for Oral Thrush With Yogurt
Lactobacillus acidophilus will produce lactic acid and lactic acid reduces pH levels in our body, making an environment unfriendly to C. albicans, as per the University of Toledo. Yogurt contains probiotics which have active or live cultures of lactobacilli species. These species are able to help you deal with your oral thrush problem. It can also improve your digestion. However, in order to treat oral thrush, you ought to use unsweetened, plain yogurt. Here is the detailed instruction which you had better follow in order to treat oral thrush.
- Firstly, rub a little amount of yogurt inside your mouth as well as on your tongue
- Then let it sit from 5 to 10 minutes
- Finally, use warm water to wash off your mouth thoroughly
- Do this process once or twice a day
- Repeat every day until you get a result
5. Coconut Oil
If you want to find an effective remedy that works for treating oral thrush, why don’t you try using coconut oil? It can help to eliminate the yeast as well as decrease the discomfort which is associated with thrush. According to a study which was published by the Journal of Medicine Food in 2007, researchers found that coconut oil could be active against some different species of candida . This is the detailed recipe for you which can help to deal with oral thrush quickly:
- First take an enough amount of coconut oil
- After that, use a cotton swab to dip into coconut oil
- Finally, apply coconut oil on your tongue along with your inner mouth area
- Do this treatment a few times per day in a week to get a positive result
You also apply coconut oil in the morning when you have an empty stomach. Now let’s follow the specific direction below:
- Firstly, take a tablespoon of coconut oil
- Then swish this oil around your mouth
- Next leave it on for 10 minutes
- After that, spit out the oil
- Finally, wash off your mouth with warm water and then brush your teeth as usual
- Do this process every day in order to maintain your oral health
6. Apple Cider Vinegar With Salt
Another remedy in the list of top home remedies for oral thrush you should know is using apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has enzymes which are able to control candida infection. In addition, it restores the pH level of your body so that the growth of yeast infection can be controlled. Furthermore, it can help to boost your immune system along with providing a strong defense against candida. And following a study which the Journal of Prosthodontics published in 2014, they showed that antifungal properties in apple cider vinegar could be against candida species . Thus, following these steps below can help you to get rid of oral thrush soon:
- First prepare well these things: a half teaspoon of salt, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a cup of warm water
- Next mix them well together
- Finally, wash off your mouth with this solution
- Follow this procedure several times a day
- Repeat every day until you see the improvement
7. Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
As you know, apple cider vinegar has a lot of benefits in treating oral thrush such as controlling candida infection, restoring pH level, boosting your immune system, and so on. When you combine apple cider vinegar with honey as one of the home remedies for oral thrush, you will get the result you desired. Let’s follow these steps below in order to get rid of this disease quickly:
- Firstly, take a little honey as well as two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Next add them into a cup of water. You ought to use warm water.
- Finally, drink this solution
- Do this treatment twice a day daily until you get your expected result
8. Tea Tree Oil
According to a research in 2014 that the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy published, they found that antifungal properties in tea tree oil are beneficial in fighting against candida albicans . Besides, these properties of tea tree oil also help to control the yeast’s growth along with giving you a quick recovery. Thus, applying this remedy is a good idea to treat oral thrush at home. Now it’s time for you to follow these steps below:
- First prepare from 4 to 5 drops of this oil
- Then pour them into a cup of warm water
- Finally, gargle with this solution for a few minutes
- Follow this process twice a day
- Repeat every day until your condition is improved
However, you should pay attention that you do not ingest tea tree oil because it may cause some side effects.
9. Baking Soda
If you are looking for a remedy for the oral thrush which is both effective and cheap, baking soda is your needed answer. The reason why you had better use baking soda is that it can kill the yeast causing the infection. Plus, it also helps to maintain good pH levels in your mouth by neutralizing acids. Baking soda acts as an anti-fungal property that kills and dehydrates the fungus or yeast. Moreover, it discourages the further microorganisms’ growth and helps to keep the skin clean and dry as well.
Here is the detailed instruction which you should follow in order to cure oral thrush at home:
- Now take one or two teaspoons of baking soda
- Then pour an enough amount of water in order to make a paste
- Next apply this paste on your tongue as well as your inner cheek area by using a cotton ball
- After that, leave it on for a few minutes
- Finally, wash your mouth off with warm water
- Do this remedy twice or thrice per day until you see the improvement
Besides, baking soda can be used as this way:
- Firstly, take a half teaspoon of baking soda
- After that, dissolve it in a glass of water
- Finally, rinse off your mouth with this solution
- Follow these steps twice a day
- Keep doing every day until you completely get rid of oral thrush
10. Natural Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Cinnamon Tea
In order to cure oral thrush at home, why don’t you try using cinnamon tea? Thanks to the powerful antifungal and antiparasitic properties in cinnamon it is capable of controlling the candida albicans’ growth, which was proven in a study of the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 2012. Now let’s make this tea as the specific direction below:
- First pour a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder into one and a half cup of water
- Next boil it for 5 minutes
- Then strain the liquid
- After that, pour a little of lemon juice if you want
- Finally, drink one or two cups of this tea every day until your condition is improved
If you do not have cinnamon powder, you just use the cinnamon stick instead. However, you need to use a small piece of it.
You ought to notice that pregnant women should not use cinnamon
11. Cinnamon Oil With Olive Oil
As you can see, cinnamon has the effects in treating oral thrush because of its antifungal and antiparasitic properties which can control the candida albicans’ development. A study, which was published in the Japanese Journal of Medical Mycology in 2010, also recommended that the cinnamaldehyde present in cinnamon prevented oral Candida infection .
Here is the detailed instruction for you:
- First use a tablespoon of olive oil to dilute some drops of cinnamon oil
- Then apply this mixture of oils on your white patches which are caused by oral thrush
- After that, let it sit for up to 15 minutes
- Finally, wash it off
- Do this process only once per day in a few days or until you get the improvement
If you are pregnant, you ought to avoid this remedy too. And if you do not own olive oil, you are able to use any other carrier oils.
Garlic is also said to be one of the most effective home remedies for oral thrush. It consists of antifungal properties which can help to kill yeast in the mouth. In addition, the result of the study in 2005 which was published by the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy showed that antifungal properties in garlic can fight against candida albicans. Even garlic can provide your immune system with a boost.
If you want to cure oral thrush at home, you just need to chew from two to three garlic cloves every day in order to fight the infection.
Another way which you can do is to use garlic tablets or capsules. If you choose to do this way, you ought to ask your doctor first.
Garlic oil is also a good treatment for the oral thrush. What you need to do now is to apply this oil on your affected area for a few times per day.
Whatever you choose to get rid of oral thrush, you remember to follow until your condition is improved.
13. Oregano Oil
In the list of the natural and effective home remedies for oral thrush, oregano oil is mentioned too. This oil is beneficial in inhibiting the development of the yeast which causes oral thrush. According to Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry’s study in 2001, researchers presented that oregano oil has antifungal properties which can fight against candida albicans . In addition, this oil is able to boost your immune system. Therefore, you should use this oil as the following direction in order to get rid of oral thrush soon:
- Firstly, take three drops of this oil
- Then pour them into a glass of water
- Next stir well
- Finally, drink this solution twice every day in a few days or in a week
Another method which you can do at home is to consume oregano oil capsules. But you had better ask your doctor for his/ her advice before taking these capsules.
14. Natural Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Oregano Oil And Olive Oil
Oregano oil brings a lot of benefits to those who are suffering from oral thrush such as inhibiting the yeast’s development, boosting the immune system, and so on. In 2010, the Brazilian Journal of Microbiology published a study about “In vitro activity of origanum vulgare essential oil against candida species”. The results showed that the essential oil obtained from Origanum vulgare may be a natural alternative for treating candidiasis thanks to its antifungal properties to protect against Candida spp. in vitro /. When you combine oregano oil with olive oil, you can get a better result. Here is the way which you can follow in order to get rid of this problem.
- Now pour two or three drops of oregano oil into a tablespoon of olive oil
- Next mix them well together
- After that, apply this mixture of oils inside your mouth and on your tongue
- Then leave it on for about 10 minutes
- Finally, wash off with warm water
- Do this procedure twice a day daily until you get your expected result
15. Olive Leaf
Another treatment for the oral thrush is using olive leaf. Olive leaf was often used to cure Malaria and was also successful against a few of the worst cases in the 19th century. According to many researchers, one of the greatest ways to cur Candida Albicans is using olive leaf. The disease is treated due to the presence of anti-microbial properties in olive leaf.
This leaf can destroy the microorganisms which cause oral thrush because of its strong antifungal properties. Plus, it has an active ingredient, sometimes called oleuropein, which can boost your immune system. Therefore, applying this remedy is also a good idea. Now let’s make olive leaf tea as the following recipe:
- First place one or two teaspoons of olive leaf in a cup
- Next pour boiling water into this cup
- After that, allow it to steep from 10 to 15 minutes
- Then strain the tea
- Finally, drink some cups of tea every day until your situation is better
Sometimes, you also take olive leaf extract up to three times per day. But you had better ask your doctor for the dosage that is suitable for your situation before you take it.
Another remedy in the list of top natural home remedies for oral thrush is using cranberry. It has a compound which is called arbutin. This compound can help to kill candida albicans. Pathogens and Disease published a study in 2014 about how cranberries affected oral yeast and the results concluded that cranberries did have one strong antimetabolic effect on the yeast by inhibiting adhesion while they did not demonstrate antifungal agents . A similar study published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine in 2012 found that while cranberries didn’t have one effect on the oral yeast growth, the proanthocyanidins present in them did decrease yeast from adhering to regions in the mouth and inhibit biofilm formation . Cranberry juice, fruit, and supplements can give a healthy digestive and intestinal system. They have a low pH balance, which means that their acidic nature enhances healthy digestive secretions, one important component for removing excessive yeast.
So what you need to do now is to drink a glass of fresh and unsweetened cranberry juice two or three times per day. You should keep doing this treatment in two or three weeks so as to get rid of this problem.
Another way which you can do at home is to take cranberry tablets. You should do this remedy two or three times a day daily until you feel better. For babies and children, they should consume fresh cranberry.
17. Home Remedies for Oral Thrush With Watermelon Rind, Mothballs, & Honey
In order to cure oral thrush, let’s use the combination between watermelon rind, mothballs, as well as honey. This combination will help you to kill candida albicans. And before you do this treatment, you ought to prepare these things well:
- 30g of watermelon rind
- 3g of mothballs
- An enough amount of honey
Let’s do this remedy as this detailed instruction below:
- Firstly, burn the watermelon rind until it becomes coal.
- Secondly, mill the mothballs
- Thirdly, mix two ingredients with honey well together.
- After that, apply on your tongue by using a cotton swab after you dip it into this mixture
- Finally, preserve the rest of the mixture in a bottle
- Follow this remedy up to 4 times every day until your condition is improved
18. Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Green Tea
For babies or children, green tea is one of the safest and the most effective home remedies for oral thrush. With antifungal properties inside, green tea can help to get rid of this problem soon. According to Priya T. Thambi, Sabu M. Chacko, Ikuo Nishigaki and Ramadasan Kuttan green tea give a protection level against radicals and oxidants which help in encouraging the body’s immune system. Here is the way which you are able to follow:
- First clean green tea leaves carefully
- Next boil them with water and a little salt
- After that, dip a soft cotton cloth into this tea
- Finally, wipe the tongue of your baby after it is cool down
- Do this a few times per day until you see the improvement
However, because of some properties in green tea, this remedy is suitable for over-6-month babies.
19. Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Grapefruit Seed
If you want to treat oral thrush at home, why not use grapefruit seed extract or juice? Grapefruit seed extract or juice can kill candida albicans due to its antifungal properties. Recently, a few college students at Cal Poly (California Polytechnic State University) did a study on GSE (grapefruit seed extract) and its effect on candida albicans. Thus, it’s very important to apply this remedy in order to get rid of oral thrush.
You can use grapefruit seed extract. You just need to apply it on your tongue.
Another way which you ought to consult is to use the combination between grapefruit seed oil and water. You mix some grapefruit seed oil with a cup of water. Then you use this solution to wash your mouth several times per day so as to cure the symptoms which are associated with oral thrush.
20. Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can be used to treat many health and skin problems, including oral thrush. Studies have indicated that aloe vera juice can help to increase white blood cells, kill infections caused due to bacteria, viruses, as well as other harmful organisms consisting of yeast. In 2011, the Immunopharmacology & Immunotoxicology journal published one article which found aloe vera considerably increased macrophages, the white blood cells type that combat yeast infections . Plus, research has indicated that aloe vera has natural fungicidal properties. All India Institute of Medical Sciences conducted a study in 2011 and found that one purified protein from the aloe vera leaf gel contained potent anti-fungal activities. Aloe vera contains the powerful antifungal properties which can both kill the yeast and prevent the growth of candida. Therefore, it’s a good idea to apply aloe vera as a natural treatment for the oral thrush.
You can take out the gel from an aloe vera leaf. Then you apply this gel on your cheeks and tongue by using a cotton ball.
Or you can consume a quarter glass of aloe vera juice.
Whatever you choose to do, you ought to follow every day until you notice the improvement.
21. Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Neem Leaves
Neem leaves are also one of the effective home remedies for oral thrush which you can apply at home. Thanks to its antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties, it can help to combat candida infections which cause thrush. Moreover, it has the capacity to promote immune power which equips your body to kill and fight yeast infections. The compounds edunin and nimbidol present in neem extracts come with antifungal agents and help fight Candida infections causing oral thrush.
In order to treat oral thrush, you just need to take three drops of neem oil. And then you swish around your mouth. Finally, you swallow it.
Besides, you can try making neem tea. It also helps you to get rid of oral thrush. Here is the way which you can consult:
- First clean 10 neem leaves
- Next put them into a cup of boiling water
- Then allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- Finally, drink this tea several times per day until you feel better
22. Natural Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Turmeric And Milk
Turmeric has been utilized for centuries in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine to deal with many medical conditions. The presence of curcumin in turmeric significantly restricted the candida growth isolated from the patients of HIV in the laboratory, as per one study published in 2th 2009 issue of the “Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy.” Plus, another study issue of the journal “Bioscience Reports” in the December 2010 shows that the anti-candida activity in curcumin is thanks to its ability to promote oxidative stress in your yeast cell and thus preventing the Candida hyphae development, which occupy the human cells . Curcumin can reduce the yeast cells’ resistance to antifungal medicines such as flucanozole. As a result, it helps to restore the Candida’s sensitivity to these drugs, according to a study in the May 2011 issue of the journal “Medical Mycology.” Turmeric includes antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties which can help you to get rid of oral thrush. And it is easy to find in your kitchen. Now it’s time for you to apply this remedy as the following recipe:
- Firstly, peel some fresh turmeric
- Then crush them into powder
- Now pour two full spoons of milk into three teaspoons of turmeric
- Next mix them well together
- After that, swish this solution around your mouth in a few minutes
- Finally, spit it out
- Do this remedy twice every day until your condition is improved.
23. Natural Home Remedies for Oral Thrush – Lemon Juice
Lemon juice can be used to treat oral thrush too. Lemon juice can kill fungi which cause thrush infections. In a study published in the issue of “Phytomedicine,” in the March 2009 researchers indicated that lemon juice harbors antifungal agents and was an inexpensive and effective treatment for candidiasis . Here is the way which you can consult if you want to stay away from this problem:
- First cut a lemon into t o halves
- Then squeeze the juice from this lemon
- Next dilute this juice with an enough amount of water
- Finally, swish in your mouth
- Do this treatment at least four times a day daily until you notice a positive result.
And people always say that “Prevention is better than cure”
Therefore, you also apply these tips below in order to prevent oral thrush:
- Brush your teeth twice per day and floss once per day. And remember not to share your toothbrush
- Use a tongue scraper or a soft piece of cotton in order to clean your tongue every day
- Replace your toothbrush more often in order to prevent thrush
- Wash off your mouth with salt water various times a day daily
- Manage your sugar level if you are suffering from diabetes by checking it often
- Quit smoking
- Eat foods which are easy to swallow; for example, custard, ice cream as well as gelatin
- Stay away from spicy food
- Reduce stress by doing some relaxing method
- Go to the dentist regularly to have a check
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 23 natural home remedies for oral thrush in adults & babies, we hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your oral thrush condition easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any in these home remedies for oral thrush. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for oral thrush, please leave them below.