When the climate changes, especially from summer to autumn, and in the winter, cold is the common disease that people often get. A common cold results from a kind of virus. It makes your noses stuffed up and your throat painful accompanied by some symptoms such as a cough, sneezing, a sore throat, general congestion, and mild fatigue. Do you want to know if you can cure a common cold quickly and naturally? This article on Effectiveremedies.com will clarify the above question. The article shows you some of the unexpected home remedies for common cold in babies & adults that are 100% natural and effective. Instead of using antibiotics, try applying some of them to make you more comfortable while the body has to deal with the cold-causing virus.
- Natural home remedies for cough relief in adults
- Best natural home remedies for sore throat pain
- Natural home remedies for nasal congestion in adults & babies
24 Unexpected Home Remedies For Common Cold In Babies & Adults
1. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Ginger
Ginger, a member of the Zingiberaceae family, is commonly used as a spice over the world especially in most of Asia countries. One study found that ginger contains over 400 different components, including carbohydrates (50–70%), lipids (3–8%), terpenes, phenolic compounds, other vitamins (nicotinic acid, vitamin A), mineral, and zingiberene, α-farnesene, β-bisabolene, β-sesquiphellandrene, & α-curcumene. It also contains amino acids, protein, phytosterols, raw fiber, ash, and phenolic compounds such as gingerol, paradols, and shogaol . It is a natural antiviral helping to fight against bacterial and virus. Moreover, it contains sesquiphellandrene which is effective for anti- rhinoviruses, one of the most common cold viruses. When using ginger as home remedies for common cold, it is not only considered as an antihistamine and decongestant to reduce cold but also brings warm effect to stimulate sweat gland that cleanses our system and reduces body temperature. Thanks to the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties in ginger, the immune system also is boosted up.
Remedy 1: Ginger, Lemon, & Honey Tea
- Cut three slices of fresh ginger
- Add a cup of hot water to this ginger and mash for 3 minutes
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey together
- Add this mixture to the above ginger tea
- Stir it well to dissolve the honey.
- Drink this tea regularly to help.
Remedy 2: Ginger With Cayenne Pepper
- Mix a teaspoon of ground ginger and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Stir it well and put it into your socks before wearing. It will keep your feet warm, and you will sweat out the toxins to get clear the cold and its symptoms.
Remedy 3: Cold Ginger Chicken Sauce
- Chicken – 3 ½ pounds
- Peanut/ vegetable/ corn/ olive oil – 1/4 cup
- Chopped ginger – 1/2 cup
- Green onions – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon as per taste
- Put chicken in a pot and add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Then reduce the heat and let the chicken stand for another 25 minutes
- Cut the chicken into pieces.
- Flying ground ginger and green onions with oil for 30 seconds and then add salt.
- Finally, pour the hot sauce over mangled chicken cook it for 3 minutes, add ginger and green onion and then eat.
2. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Garlic
Using garlic as one of the effective home remedies for common cold is a traditional way in almost family. It cannot deny the benefits of garlic in treating common cold because of the following reason. Garlic helps to boost up immune system by stimulating some certain types of cells such as macrophages, lymphocytes, natural killer (NK) cells, dendritic cells, and eosinophils . Whole garlic contains allicin, which is a precursor of the allicin, the main active compound of garlic when it is crushed or chewed. Allicin includes sulfur that causes the smell of garlic, but this allicin will quickly turn into other sulfur-containing compounds that offer medicinal properties of garlic. These properties help to boost up the disease-fighting abilities of white blood cells, which will fight against viruses such as the virus causing common cold . Therefore, the major effect of garlic is to enhance our immune system to reduce the risk of sick. One study found that 146 volunteers who ate garlic for three months had 63% lower risk of getting the common cold and the suffer cold period was 70% shorte . Consequently, Garlic is one of the best natural and easy home remedies for common cold as well as for our general health.
Remedy 1: Garlic & Honey Paste
Honey is antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal that helps to fight against the cold.
- Grind seven cloves raw garlic.
- Mix with one tablespoon of raw honey.
- Eat one teaspoon of this mixture whenever you realize cold symptoms.
- Peel some garlic cloves and put it in a bottle.
- Pour honey and let them infuse for several days before using.
- Store it in the refrigerator, and you can use it for a year.
- When suffering from common cold, eat six cloves with a teaspoon of honey to reduce cold.
Remedy 2: Garlic and Orange Juice
- Mince garlic and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Eat one teaspoon.
- Immediately drink one glass orange juice.
- Repeat it before going to bed
Remedy 3: Garlic Tea
- Chop 2 cloves garlic and one teaspoon ginger.
- Boil a cup of water and garlic, ginger and then allow it for some minutes
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let steep 10 minutes.
- Strain to remove garlic and ginger, add one teaspoon of raw honey, and drink.
- Boil 3 cup of water and three garlic cloves for few minutes and then turn off the heat
- Add ½ cup of honey and 1/2 cup of lemon juice.
- Strain the tea and drink ½ cup of warm tea three times a day.
- Drink this regularly to get rid of cold.
Remedy 4: Garlic and Tomato
- Chop three garlic cloves, half an onion, a celery stalk, and two tomatoes.
- Put these ingredients into a clean blender and then add one teaspoon of dried basil.
- Mix them until smooth and drink.
- Add this mixture to honey or apple cider vinegar and steep for few minutes.
- Eat one teaspoon each day and repeat daily to reduce cold.
3. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a product from leaves of tea tree which is native to Australia. It has been used for centuries and has become popular essential oil for almost family. Tea tree or melaleuca is well-known for its antiseptic power and the ability to treat wounds. Tea tree essential oil contains antiseptic, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties. Thus, taking advantage of this benefit to make some home remedies for common cold is excellent for reducing coughs, bronchial, congestion, and sore throats. Changing climate facilitates the development and growth of virus and bacteria while tea tree oil plays as a sanitizer to purify the air and our hands from germs. Moreover, tee tree oil can be used to ease some common cold symptoms and loosen chest congestion.
- Put seven to ten drops of tea tree oil into a large pot or bowl of hot water.
- Use a towel to cover your head and lean over the bowl (keep about ten inches away, or you may get a steam burn)
- Close your eyes and breathe through your nose for no more than two minutes at a time.
4. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Kombucha Tea
Kombucha tea is one kind of fermented drink from green tea or sweetened black tea that contains a lot of probiotics, the beneficial bacteria for our health. By this way, you can add more good bacteria to your body to help your body crowd out bad bacteria such as viruses or common cold virus. One study found that children from 3 to 5 years old who used Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium animalis supplement had fewer symptoms and faster recovery time. When common cold gets into our body, our immune systems will automatically fight against these viruses, which causes some symptoms such as snore, cough, etc. Another study said that probiotic microorganisms help to soften the reaction of your immune system by reducing the inflammatory response of your body. As a fermented probiotic drink, Kombucha will provide micronutrients that boost up immunity function, improve digestion, and encourage natural detoxification. Furthermore, drinking kombucha tea also stimulates your metabolism process, which keeps your immune system energized and ready to fight against diseases.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a pot. When boiling, turn off the heat and add one organic tea bag and sugar, stirring it until the sugar dissolves.
- Keep the pot aside to steep it for about 15 minutes and then discard the tea bag.
- Cool the mixture down to room temperature. Then, add your tea to your cup. Drop in a scoby disk and one tbsp. pre-made kombucha.
- Cover the cup with your cloth and use a rubber hand to keep this cloth in place.
- Finally, allow the tea sit for 7-10 days.
- Dink the tea daily.
5. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Onion
Onion is one of the popular and essential ingredients in our daily food, which also is well-known for the richest source of dietary flavonoids to help you prevent cancers and inflammatory diseases. Apart from dietary flavonoids, onion contains vitamin C that is good for our immune systems. Besides above compounds, similar to garlic, onion contains sulfuric compounds such as thiosulfinates, sulfoxides, and other odorous cysteine sulfoxides. This constituent causes smell and makes you cry when cutting an onion. However, it is a powerful detox element to help our body detox toxins from heavy metals. Using onion in our food can help our immune function, the key factor in fighting against and preventing the viruses. One research examined that individuals who ate onion every day had better immune responses and less risk of cardiovascular disease . Therefore, home remedies for common cold from onion are very easy and effective.
- Cut the peeled onion into slices and put into a bowl
- Pour honey into it to cover the onion slices.
- Keep the mixture overnight in a cool place.
- Finally, eat 1 to 2 onion slices soaked with honey in the morning.
Remedy 2: Onion Soup
- Three large of onions
- Three cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of fresh, finely-chopped oregano
- 4 cups of water
- Salt, pepper
How to do
- Chop onions and garlic
- Boil water then add chopped onions, garlic, oregano
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the onions become soft
- Eat the hot soup and allow your body temperature is rise to induce sweating
6. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Green Tea
Green tea, which is a popular drink and ingredient, is known as the healthiest drink as it offers many wonderful benefits. In fact, Japanese people have the longest lifespan because they use green tea in almost all of their foods and drinks. It includes antioxidants, Epigallocatechin (EGCG), chlorophyll, flavonoids, catechism, theophylline, and L-theanine that help to cleanse the blood, reduce free radicals, boost energy, and reduce anxiety and depression. Moreover, green tea has an antiviral function that prevents the common cold and helps to ease symptoms of common cold such as a sore throat or a cough. To sum up, green tea is not only good for our immune system but also great for brain function & teeth. It also helps to reduce the risk of cancer, control blood sugar, and get rid of cholesterol. Besides these benefits, drinking a cup of hot tea can loosen sinus secretions. Studies indicate that person who drinks warm tea can relieve symptoms of common cold such as a sore throat and a cough quickly . Consequent, you can take advantage of above great benefits of green tea to make home remedies for common cold and for preventing other health problems.
- Put a bag of green tea into a cup of warm or hot water
- Steep it for 3 to 5 minutes
- Add lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey
- Take a sip and drink this tea 2 to 3 times a day
7. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Honey
Another easy and available ingredient that helps treat common cold is honey. Unlike garlic and onions which can be uncomfortable to drink and eat because of its smell, honey is sweet and delicious. It is one of the advantages of using honey as home remedies for common cold. Honey is very effective in getting rid of a cough and sore throat. Pasteurized honey can be used for all age from children to adults. It has a good demulcent effect and antioxidant properties while it also helps to increase cytokine which acts as a cellular mediator and controls the immune responses. One study realized that using honey can help reduce the cough frequency and severity and enhance sleep quality rather than no treatment. Another research examined the impact of honey with 139 children from 24 to 60 months who were suffering from a cough and cold. It reported that using 2.5 ml of honey before going to bed relieved the cough frequency and severity as well as sleep quantities .
Remedy 1: Honey & Cinnamon
- Mix one tablespoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Stir this mixture and use it twice a day for three days.
Remedy 2: Honey & Brandy
- Boil about 3 ounces of water.
- Pour 1.5 to 2 ounces of brandy into a cup
- Pour the hot water over the brandy and add a teaspoon of honey, stir well.
- Add some lemon wedges Repeat as needed.
Remedy 3: Honey & Whiskey Hot Toddy
- Mix whiskey, honey, and fresh lemon juice
- Put the mixture into a microwave until it is hot and then slowly sip it on.
Note: If the taste of this mixture is too strong, you can add ¼ cup of hot water.
8. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Echinacea
Echinacea, native to North America is also a medical product for centuries. It includes active compounds such as flavonoids that have many therapeutic effects on the body. The extract from Echinacea improves our immune systems. Research showed that Echinacea helped to increase the number of white blood cells that fight against viruses and germs. There are many types of research and studies that find the effect of Echinacea in the treatment of common cold and flu. One of those suggested that taking Echinacea can lower the risk of a common cold more than 50 percent and reduce the recovery time . As a result, you can make home remedies for common cold using this herb to ease common cold symptoms and stimulate your health.
- Fill the dried Echinacea leaves or both leaves and roots to cover about one-third or half of a jar.
- Pour hot water enough to cover all of the dried herbs.
- Fill alcohol to the rest of the bottle and stir it well with a clean spoon
- Put the lid on the jar. Store in a cool/dry place for at least three weeks to seven weeks, and shake it daily
- Use cheesecloth to strain and remove the Echinacea and store the liquid in a bottle or a glass jar.
9. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is widely used in many parts of the world thanks to its benefits. Coconut can be used to replace normal cooking oil in the cooking and treat some common cold symptoms. This oil contains more than 85% of saturated fats in which lactic acid is most dominant. This active ingredient of coconut oil has antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory functions. Besides this great component, coconut oil also contains other acids such as the capric acid (C-10), caprylic acid (C-8), and caproic acid (C-6). These acids absorb directly into the blood and liver and quickly convert into energy or ketones that are good for the brain and help our body strong enough to kill the viruses and harmful germs. Also, coconut oil helps to stimulate and boost up a weak immune system by strengthening white blood cells.
- Put coconut oil into our daily meal or baking
- Put coconut oil in smoothies, juice, and milk
- You can replace butter with coconut oil with 1:1 ratio
- Mix 2 teaspoon of coconut oil with few drops of peppermint oil and eucalyptus
- Stir it well
- Rub this mixture on your chest or the chest to facilitate breathing
- Warm the coconut oil
- Apply to a temple and gently massage your head in a circular motion to reduce the toxin and stress
10. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Yogurt
Yogurt is known as a rich nutritional value, which helps to ease common cold symptoms by providing to your body the needed nutrition. As mention above, probiotic offers friendly bacteria to strengthen our immune systems . One serve of yogurt contains 8 milligrams of zinc which is equivalent to 20 percent of zinc requirement for adults. As you may know, zinc is an essential mineral for the immune system. Besides zinc, yogurt also gives a source of vitamin A, potassium, calcium, and carbohydrate that support nutrition to our body, aid your recovery, and enhance energy for daily activities. By using home remedies for common cold with yogurt can help maintain a proper intake of fluids due to its moisture content and make you feel more comfortable by reducing our body temperature. Furthermore, if you get trouble with gastrointestinal issues, yogurt may add more good bacteria to the intestine during illness period.
- Cut fruits such as strawberry, orange, etc. into small pieces
- Put these fruit into a glass
- Add one serve of yogurt, mix well
- Add honey if you want
- Wash the combination of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc.
- Chop banana into small pieces
- Put these fruit into a blender
- Pour one cup of milk or coconut juice
- Add 1 cup of yogurt then blend well and taste it
11. Home Remedies For Common Cold With Turmeric
Turmeric is one familiar spice that brings an abundant benefit for our health and beauty. How can turmeric help treat common cold? It is thanks to its constituent called curcumin that has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral functions . Turmeric includes three types of curcumin, including bisdemethoxycurcumin, diferuloylmethane, and demethoxycurcumin and the diferuloylmethane is the most important component. Another benefit of turmeric is a high content of antioxidant, nutrition your body needs to enhance immune systems, fight diseases, and avoid other health problems. Also, turmeric is great for your hearth and wound healing while it also reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Thanks to these wonderful benefits of turmeric, you can make a lot of home remedies for common cold to minify cold symptoms such as a cough, headaches, sore throat, and congestion.
Remedy 1: Turmeric milk
- 1 cup of milk (any milk that has fat inside)
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- One teaspoon of raw honey
- One teaspoon of turmeric
- One pinch of black pepper
How to make:
- Warm the milk on the stove or in a microwave or heat it but do not make milk boil
- Add turmeric and use a whisk blend it well
- Mix the cinnamon and honey and black pepper
- Drink it at least once a day
Remedy 2: Turmeric, ginger, and honey
- Mix 2 teaspoons of turmeric, two pinches of black pepper powder, and four tablespoons of finned- chopped ginger in a bowl
- Add fresh lemon juice and stir it well
- Store this mixture in the fridge
- Add about three spoons to a cup of hot water or tea
- Pour very hot water into a large bowl and add turmeric powder
- Use a towel cover you head to prevent vapor escaping
- Inhale the vapor for at least 10 minutes.
Above are 24 unexpected home remedies for common cold in babies & adults that you should try to improve your health in the winter and avoid the inconvenient of a common cold. If you want to find natural treatments for other health & beauty problems, visit our Home Remedies page and do not forget to leave your comment or thought for us.