Nowadays, many people experience a condition called dry socket. This condition sometimes makes you unconfident and embarrassing. However, if you are having troubles due to the dry socket, you needn't worry because there are many natural home remedies for dry socket relief from pain and other symptoms. Continue reading this article on Effective Remedies to discover more about these natural ways and then find some ways that are suitable for you.
- Home remedies for toothache pain relief – 100% natural & safe
- Natural home remedies for oral thrush in adults & babies
- Natural home remedies for tonsillitis pain
9 Best Home Remedies For Dry Socket Relief From Pain & Other Symptoms
I. What Is Dry Socket?
Dry socket is a problem which happens after tooth extraction with a swelling alveolar bone (or jawbone). The situation can also be referred to as “alveolar osteitis” and known to be one of the many results that come after a tooth extraction . The circumstance of dry socket is not much, just about 2% of tooth extraction cases. However, the percentage can be at least 20% of the removal of mandibular impacted third molars is done.
So, the scene gets pretty bad for the infected as the throbbing pain can last from two to four days, coming along with bad breath and foul mouth taste.
II. The Cause Of Dry Socket
The reason for a dry socket is known to be the loss of a blood clot in the tooth socket after an extraction happens. Usually, as the removal is carried out, a blood clot will take the formation as the very first step for healing, recovering, covering, and protecting the alveolar bone below. If the formation does not take place, then comes the fact that the bone is exposed and the progress of healing is canceled.
The causes of dry socket are bacterial, chemical, mechanical, and physiologic factors . The followings are specific examples for each:
- Bacteria: The element that naturally exists in the mouth before tooth extraction. Typically, the periodontal bacteria can result from mouth disease and the breakdown of the blood clot.
- Chemicals: This is highly warned for smokers as Nicotine in the cigarette can result in the low level of the blood supply in the mouth. Then, the formation of the blood clot after a tooth extraction fails.
- Mechanical factor: improper mouth actions such as sucking through a straw, hard rinsing, spitting, or biting and dragging hard objects are the reason for the loss of the blood clot.
- Physiologic factor: Bio-factors such as Hormones, the low level of blood supply, bacterial growth or dense jawbone are the reasons for the delay of blood clot formation.
- Apparently, with the conditions and inconvenience mentioned above, it is essential to get the solution for a dry socket. Luckily, this can quickly be done by at home remedies. The followings are top 9 effective home remedies for dry socket relief from pain and other symptoms.
III. Best Natural Home Remedies For Dry Socket
1. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Clove Oil
Clove oil is widely known for its effectiveness in treating dry socket. Clove oil helps reduce the pain caused by the condition, which can even make it hard for you to do the conversion or move the head.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
Clove oil helps to add a physical barrier to cover the uncovered alveolar bone along with oral nerve endings and the environment. Oral pain relief is the primary effectiveness, so as the low number of emergent dental visitors.
How to do
- Use clove oil with a dipped small cotton
- Place the submerged cotton ball in the socket for about 1 minute
- After 1 minute, rinse your mouth carefully and gently with warm water after removing the cotton ball.
- Follow this remedy several times during the day.
2. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Cold Compress
Typically, the suffering from a dry socket is also the suffering from oral pain, which happens in the jaw. So then, the method of using cold compress is an easy way to try at home to reduce the pain and its situation. The cold is effective on numbing the oral nerves to relieve pain
How to do
- Dip a cloth in cold water and squeeze it.
- Put it on the facial areas where feeling the pain
- The perfect time for the applying is around 15 minutes.
- Follow the treatment two days with 4-5 times per day
- After two days, apply warm compresses instead to ease the inflammation
3. Saline Water Rinse
Keeping your oral environment clean by using warm saline water in 24 hours after a dental extraction is encouraged as the effects it brings on avoiding dry socket . We all understand the efficient use of warm water on inflammation and salt water on infection eradication.
After tooth extraction, saline mouth rinse method is believed to be useful in the avoidance of alveolar osteitis, and also one of the most popular home remedies for a Dry socket. The recommendation for this method is to apply two times per day.
How to do
- A glass of warm water with ½ tsp of table salt and stir it well
- Rinse your mouth two times per day with this warm saline water.
4. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil  is a disinfectant by nature that is beneficial for treating conditions of a dry socket. The oil can even slow down or prevent the oral infection process if the infection factors take place where the jawbone or alveolar bone is exposed . Because of the high hygienic level of oral environment made by tee tree oil, the healing speed is improved.
How to do
- Tea tree oil is believed to be an encouraging treatment
- Moisten a small cotton ball with water
- Pour 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil on the cotton ball.
- Softly compress the cotton ball against the area of dry socket.
- After 5 minutes, rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Best to use this method three times per day
Get more: Health & beauty benefits of tea tree oil – its uses & side effects
5. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Black Tea Bags
A black tea bag can be beneficial for the situation and relieve the pain. The tannic acid in the tea bag by nature is a pain-killer and method of reducing swelling and inflammation. Black tea bags give a great help in the formation of blood clot. Also, black tea bags contain disinfectant properties, which can deal with the infection in the tooth socket effectively. A cold black tea bag can take the place of cold compress method as you can bite down on the bag. This is one of the good home remedies for dry socket.
How to do
- Dip a tea bag in a glass of hot water
- Take out and wring out the water after 5 minutes of dipping
- Place the tea bag in the fridge for around 15 minutes then let the tea cool down
- After that, apply the cold tea bag to the dry socket area
- Press down the bag with your teeth for 10 minutes for the best benefits
- Wash your mouth with the cold tea
- Do this solution several times
Get more: Beauty & health benefits of green tea – its uses & side effects
6. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Turmeric
Turmeric is said to be natural material for the treatment of swelling diseases, which can take action on the pain caused by a dry socket efficiently. It can inhibit the growth of bacteria in the mouth, which is the main cause of many dental problems. Moreover, aside from relieving pain, the recovering process is also boosted by the help of turmeric.
How to do
- The first advice is to use half of tsp of turmeric powder with a little water to make a thick mixture. Have a small cotton ball dipped in the paste to press on the area of the dry socket. The best time for treating is about 20 minutes, and then you rinse your mouth gently and clearly with warm water. 2 or 3 times per day of treatment are necessary.
- The second advice is to stir one tsp of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water, then use this to rinse and clean your oral area 2 or 3 times per day till it makes progress.
7. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Garlic
Similar to turmeric, Garlic is an inflammation conditions treatment by nature, and also a useful pain-killer as the conditions caused by a dry socket. Swelling makes it hard for you to use your mouth, and garlic has effects to deal with that. Additionally, it stands a high chance of eradicating the infection.
How to do
- Fresh garlic clove is needed and put in the mouth, and then you compress it with your teeth. The juice of the garlic clove will be all over your oral areas, which helps relieve the pain inside. After 5 minutes, throw away the clove and clean your mouth with warm water. Follow it three times per day.
- Another way of using garlic clove is to make a dense mixture of 2 fresh garlic cloves and a little amount of salt by using mortar and pestle. Place this mixture on the infected area for at least 30 minutes before washing your mouth with clean, warm water. Apply several times as needed.
Get more: How to use garlic for sinus infection
8. Home Remedies For Dry Socket With Apple Cider Vinegar
Infection after tooth extraction can be deterred by apple cider vinegar, as its antiseptic and swelling treatment use by nature, which means that apple cider vinegar will deal with the inflammation, improve your healing process and make it easier for you to eat. With the help of apple cider vinegar, your signs of infection in the tooth socket will be eradicated as this natural herb give great effects.
How to do
- Stir an equal percentage of natural apple cider vinegar and water. Apply for mouth cleansing 2 or 3 times per day.
- Or you may immerse a cotton swab in the paste and put it on the dry socket area. After 10 minutes of holding, rinse your mouth with warm and clean water. Best to repeat two times per day.
9. Eat Soft Food And Stay Hydrated
After your tooth extraction, it is important to be hydrated. Shortage of water inside the body will cause the delay of cellular migration, lower the level of blood oxygen and prevent the trauma from recovering. Soft food often contains higher amount of water within than dry food, and soft food also helps your digestive system well.
Be careful with what you eat after tooth removal.
How to do
- Drink plain water regularly during the day. Still, drink from the opposite side to the infected side of the mouth.
- You should eat soft food for the best preserve of your teeth. As the trauma starts to recover, gradually you turn to the semi-soft ones.
- Cold food and drink help reduce pain.
- Clean your mouth daily and regularly, try to avoid having residual food pieces in your mouth
- Avoid hard and crunchy food, which may cause infection.
- Make efficient use of the other side of your mouth for eating
- Meet experienced dentists
- Do not overdose the prescription
- Feel free to seek advice from your dentist and visit the dentist as scheduled
- High estrogen levels because of the oral contraceptives may build up the danger of dry socket, which women should take into consideration and take advice from doctors.
- Use antiseptic mouth rinses and toothpaste before and after dental surgery
- Using tobacco with surgery wound and tooth extractions are leading factors to dry socket conditions. The smoking cigarette as already mentioned is one of the many causes of dry socket due to the nicotine. The toxic chemicals in tobacco lower the level of healing from the conditions, cause the breakdown of the blood clot. Contamination in oral environment is also highly warned. Moreover, using tobacco or dragging cigarette may result in the loss of the blood clot.
- Teeth brushing should avoid the surgery side for a few days after the removal.
- No alcohol or substance are allowed for the first 48 hours
- You should not have any hard exercise or activities that might affect the dry socket area for a week after the surgery
- Inform your dentist about any prescriptions you are taking before the extraction.
- Adjust your head side while sleeping to reduce the pain.
- Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as aspirin, to reduce the pain. But not every medicine can work 100% efficiently to kill the pain. In the case that the swelling is still going on, consult your doctor for a stronger drug.
V. When To See A Doctor?
Pain and discomfort are thought to be normal after an extraction. Still, you can manage your pain by pain-relieving prescriptions by the dentist or oral surgeon, and the pain will be reduced. In the case that you still experience the pain and it gets worse for days after your extraction, you should go to see your dentist or your oral surgeon immediately.
Above are 9 best home remedies for dry socket relief from pain & other symptoms that you should try. If you want to learn more about the natural treatments for other health conditions, please visit our Home Remedies page. Do not forget to leave your comments in the form below to show us your thoughts.