Every dog owner would not want to see their dogs with kennel cough- a health condition which is somewhat similar to human flu. The potential danger of this infectious disease is that it nearly has no fully effective vaccine that takes powerful effect to wipe it out. Therefore, dogs with kennel cough should be kept isolated until they completely recover. Otherwise, it would become an uncontrollable epidemic among dogs. This article will provide some useful information about kennel cough and most importantly some natural home remedies for kennel cough in dogs. Continue reading the article, Effective Remedies will make you disappointed.
A Case For Kennel Cough
Kennel cough – a commonly known canine disease whose scientific name is tracheobronchitis- could be caused by a number of different types of viruses and bacteria in the respiratory tract. Though the combination of multiple bacteria and viruses is diagnosed, the most popular one seems to be the Bordetellabronchiseptica bacteria. It is followed by canine reovirus, canine herpes virus, parainfluenza virus and distemper virus.
Symptoms Of Kennel Cough
The disease now can be found in every part of the world with the infection of the growing number of dogs. If one day you find your dog suffering from hacking cough or creating sounds like she is having a choke, it might come down with Kennel cough. Below, I draw up a handful of general symptoms arising as kennel cough comes.
- During the 5 to 7 days of incubation period, most dogs experience persistent cough, sneezing, snorting, runny nose, then, it depends on how severe the disease is that other symptoms appear. For the mild case which is related to B. bronchiseptica and canine parainfluenza virus, the symptoms are retching and even vomiting. Your pets still act as usual and appetite is not influenced. For severe case which occurs to those without the protection of vaccine, more serious symptoms are recorded. Besides hacking cough, there are signs of lethargy, rhinitis and pneumonia.
Even the strong dog can be prone to kennel cough as the disease is highly infectious. The tiny vapor containing virus particles from the infected dogs flies in the air and goes into the respiratory tract of the strong ones. Thus the disease spread virally from one to others in the relatively short period of time.
The key point in protecting dogs from the infection is to strengthen the respiratory tract in order that it could withstand the harm from infectious particles. Normally, the harmful origins from the outer environment around, for example, low temperatures, smoke or spray, the exposure to pathogen in the crowd. Therefore, dog owners ought to keep the pets in the place which is free of harmful factors for them and avoid where there are large quantities of dogs together.
One of the common ways to prevent the disease, particularly in doggie daycare business, groomers or other animal shelters, is vaccine which can be used by injection or through nasal in form of mist. The vets often recommend vaccines named bordetella
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
However, this method seems not to take effect as there are some situations in which dogs still get Kennel cough even though they have already injected vaccine. In reality, if the illness symptoms appear not to be serious, the dog will likely to recover within a couple of weeks or more. In case the situation turns worse, visit the vet for advice or take some useful home remedies which are considered safer for every dog. It does not require any complicated technic to practice these remedies so dog owners could take step to prevent this annoying disease from your dogs.
Top 14 Effective & Natural Home Remedies For Kennel Cough In Dogs
1. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Cinnamon
It naturally is the bark of cinnamon tree – a kind of plant which is native to Middle East region and South Asia. One important activity of this tree bark is an antioxidant activity . In addition to this, highly anti-fungal property and anti-bacterial property containing in the oil of the bark make it a good use for treating cough. Cinnamon could be used as a substitute to sterilize bacteria in the digestive tract. Additionally, cinnamon provides high level of fiber, manganese and calcium. That makes it a popular natural method to treat kennel cough.
Here is the guideline for using cinnamon:
- Grind the cinnamon into powder
- Make a mixture of ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and the dog’s portion for a meal
- Give the dogs two meals with cinnamon a day.
This method aims to support the commune system against inflammation and strengthen the digestive system.
2. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Use Cough Syrup
When catching kennel cough, your pets make a sound like she is choking because of all the phlegm which stucks in her throat. Some spoons of syrup will remove phlegm and take her back to the normal condition. Syrup is merely the liquid with high level of dissolved sugar. It can be received by either of dissolving the sugar with water or more naturally distracting from fruits as oranges, cane or corn. Some research has shown that Syrup itself contains large amount of nutrients, phytochemicals and antioxidants like zinc, manganese, calcium which could somewhat reduce inflammation and prevent respiratory diseases, especially kennel cough. Here is a good example, the medical journal Pharmaceutical Biology has discovered that syrup of pure maple provides roughly 24 kinds of antioxidants. This means maple syrup helps to lower free radical damage which is the major root of inflammation.
It is important that you buy the natural branch name whose taste is nearly suitable to the dog’s appetite otherwise she might not touch it:
- Pour syrup fully in the teaspoon, more or less than needed is not good
- Open the dog’s mouth mildly and feed it with syrup step by step till the spoon is empty.
- Hold its mouth to make sure there is no attempt to spit out the medicine. Massage the throat to boost the process of swallow.
- This treatment should be administered three times a day for the full effect.
3. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Use Licorice Root Tea
Traditionally used as a remedy for cough and sore throats in humans, licorice root tea also takes effect on kennel cough. It is observed in many researches during 1970 that licorice root had the property of anti-inflammation . Moreover, in term of cough treatment, it shows the capacity of expectorant. Licorice root tea, therefore, constitutes a successful treatment for those dogs with kennel cough. One pot of licorice root tea can be stored within 5 days in low temperatures.
- Dried licorice root powder
- Cold water
How to do:
- Put dried licorice root powder together with 2 cups of water and bring to the boil
- Leave it to cool after boiling for some minutes
- Give the mixture of one spoon of honey and one spoon of licorice root tea to your dog, once a day before meal.
- Keep this habit until the dog recovers
4. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Use Raw Honey
Honey can work as a cough suppressant due to the presence of dextromethorphan in its ingredient . It, together with some properties countering bacterial, would eliminate the cause of cough. Additionally, with the rich source of nutrient which could be listed as calcium, zinc, cooper iron, honey is effective for repairing tissue and strengthening the body’s immune system. Thus it comes to be a well-treated remedy at home for kennel cough.
In reality, honey is long a cure for sore throat as it helps to eliminate phlegm from the respiratory organs. With kennel cough, the dog only needs two spoons of honey a day for some weeks. Honey not only has pleasant taste but also provide substances for sterilizing bacteria.
5. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Vitamin C
This kind of element acts as an antiviral substance once entered the body. Some recent research showed the promising result of vitamin C’s ability to enhance the body’s power . In fact, vitamin C boosts the immune system of the dog and prevents diseases from the outer environment.
The method can be applied by mingling one tablet of vitamin C with dog’s food in two meals a day.
6. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Coconut Oil
The strong antiviral, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties of coconut oil are very beneficial for treating kennel cough in dogs. Its sweet flavor makes many dogs eager to taste it.
- Coconut oil – 1 teaspoon
- Let your dog lick the coconut oil from the spoon.
- Follow this method twice per day until your dog is completely recovered from a kennel cough.
7. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Probiotics
As you may know, probiotic foods like yogurt offer great nutritional value for us as well as our dogs.
Probiotics are useful in removing harmful bacteria from the body system of your dog, so that he/she may start feeling better soon. Moreover, probiotics are a great immune booster, which helps to fight any infection.
- Add yogurt to the diet of your dog for treating kennel cough.
- Or, you can consult your veterinarian to give your dog probiotics in supplement form.
Warnings: If your dog has been prescribed antibiotics, never give your dog probiotic supplements and antibiotics at the same time because it requires a gap of 2 hours or more between the two.
8. A Steam Or A Bath With Hot Water
Steam is considered as one of the powerful and effective home remedies for kennel cough in dogs. The steam from a bath or shower helps to open up your dog’s nasal and respiratory systems, which will loosen up the phlegm and help your dog to breathe easier.
- Bath or shower with hot water
- Firstly, turn on your bath or shower and set the temperature to hot for a few minutes.
- Now, bring your pet inside and let him/her sit in the bathroom when the water runs for about 15 – 25 minutes.
- You need to repeat the method 1 to 2 times a day while your dog is suffering from a kennel cough.
Warning: If your pet is afraid of water, avoid this remedy.
9. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Chicken Soup
Chicken soup is not only a common treatment for a cold in humans, but it is also good for your dog when he/she is experiencing kennel cough. The soup helps to soothe the throat and kick-start the appetite of your dog. Many chicken soups include vegetables, so your dog will receive a boost of immunity.
- Chicken soup low in sodium
- You can buy chicken soup in stores or make your own.
- Then, dish it out a bowl with plenty of chicken broth for your pet to enjoy.
- Remember to allow the temperature of the soup to be warm, so they don’t burn the mouth or throat of your dog.
- Give your dog 1 bowl of chicken soup 2 times a day till a kennel cough is completely gone.
Warning: Dogs are very sensitive to raw garlic or onions and salt. Do not give your dog a soup that includes these ingredients.
10. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is packed with antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties, which are beneficial for treating a cold and cough in humans as well as pets.
This essential oil includes powerful phenols, including thymol and carvacrol, which have an ability to destroy harmful microbes and bacteria responsible for a kennel cough in dogs.
- Include 2 – 3 drops of oil of oregano to your dog’s meal and then feed him/her 3 times per day.
- For topical use, combine 1 drop of oil of oregano with 1 tsp. of coconut oil. Then, apply it to the neck and throat area of your dog to reduce the discomfort.
- You may also add some drops of oregano oil to your humidifier. Then, place it near where your dog spends the most time in order to help your dog breathe easier.
11. Use A Spray Of Essential Oils
When your pet breathes in some certain essential oils, it may aid in clearing his/her nasal cavities and open your dog’s bronchial tubes. Moreover, essential oils help to calm the irritated throat while providing antiviral and antibacterial agents that will help to speed the recovery in a kennel cough.
- Lavender oil – 10 drops
- Tea tree oil – 10 drops
- Chamomile oil – 10 drops
- Oregano oil – 10 drops
- Eucalyptus oil – 10 drops
- A spray bottle
- Firstly, add the essential oils to the spray bottle.
- Then, pour water into the rest of your spray bottle and shake them well.
- Now, spray your pet’s bedding and into the area around your dog.
- Follow this remedy for 2 to 3 times a day to help your dog breathe easier and speed the recovery in a kennel cough.
12. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Honey & Lemon Juice
Lemons contain a great source of vitamin C. When you mix raw honey with lemon juice, you may give a powerful boost for your dog to fight against a kennel cough. In addition, it will help to soothe your dog’s throat.
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Raw honey – 2 tablespoons
- Warm water – 1/2 cup
- A syringe
- Firstly, mix all the ingredients in a sealable container.
- Then, use the syringe to give your pet an appropriate amount of this mixture. This amount will depend on the size and weight of your dog.
- Repeat the method twice a day until the disease is no longer present.
13. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Slippery Elm
Slippery elm can soothe a sore throat and the irritation in your pet. Although it may be hard to find this herb in certain cities, it’s a great herbal remedy for many conditions, especially diseases related to the throat and mouth of dogs and humans.
- Dried slippery elm
- You can crush the dried slippery elm or the slippery elm tablets and then sprinkle it over the food of your dog.
- Follow this remedy daily until a cough is gone completely.
14. Home Remedies For Kennel Cough – Anise Hyssop
Anise hyssop belongs to the licorice family, so it offers the results that are similar to the licorice tea mentioned above. This herb will also significantly help to cure a kennel cough in your dog. In human use, it is very beneficial for throat irritation and mucous production and it also does the same for your pet.
- Anise hyssop tablets or dried anise hyssop
- Warm water
- A syringe
- Firstly, crush the Anise Hyssop and then mix it with warm water.
- Now, use the syringe to take the mixture and then gently open the mouth of your dog.
- Next, release the syringe content.
- After that, gently close the mouth of your dog and massage his/her throat to help him/her swallow the mixture.
- Follow the remedy for 2 to 3 times per day until a kennel cough is gone.
- Limit your dog’s activity, which can help your dog to get enough rest to recuperate.
- Pay close attention to the condition and eating habits of your dog during this time. If you see any negative development in your dog's health, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Limit your pet’s contact with other pets.
- Keep your pet away from children.
- Keep your dog dry and warm.
- Clean the food and water bowls of your dog daily to inhibit the growth and spread of bacteria.
- If you have some dogs in the home, remember to isolate the dog with a kennel cough.
- Never smoke in the home or near your pet while they experience a kennel cough.
- Never use toxic cleaning chemicals or supplies in the environment of your dog because they may further irritate the dog.
These are above a handful of top 14 natural home remedies for kennel cough in your dogs. Visit our Home Remedies page to find out more about some valuable remedies for common health problems.