Snoring is when the respiratory structures vibrate and create uncomfortable sound during the sleep. Researchers have pointed out that snoring is a signal of sleep deprivation or obstructive sleep apnea. Sometimes, the sound is small and soft. However, in most cases, the sound is too loud and makes the surrounding people feel uncomfortable. Nowadays, there are many ways on how to prevent snoring naturally. Let's have a look at our Effective Remedies to know what they are and how to apply them in the correct ways.
- Best natural home remedies for snoring relief at night
- Natural home remedies for sleep apnea in toddlers & adults
How To Prevent Snoring Naturally At Home – 15 Secret Weapons
I. What To Know About Snoring
1. What Causes Snoring?
Snoring happens because of the combination of these following factors:
- Some people snore in a certain season when they are allergic or have the sinus infection. The changes in your nose can cause snoring because of the structural changes.
- The relaxed muscles in throat and tongue can affect and collapse the breath. This is often caused by deep sleep, consumption of alcohol or sleeping pills usage.
- Snoring sometimes is the result of having bulky throat tissue when you are overweight. Snoring can also happen in children when they have large tonsils and adenoids.
- If you have a long soft palate, you may suffer from snoring. The width from the nose to the throat can be narrowed by a long soft palate. When the above parts vibrate, they can bump against the other and cause snoring.
- If you are overweight, you have the higher risk of snoring. If you eat too much and do not do exercise regularly, the fat around your throat will increase. This makes the airway narrow and creates an obstruction for breathing during the sleep. The patients, in this case, are often men rather than women since they weigh in their neck more than women.
- If you are from 45 to 64, you may have more serious snoring. Because in these ages, your throats are often narrower than normal. However, in order to make differences, you should have a better lifestyle, living regime, and even throat exercises.
- Alcohol, smoking, and medications can increase the muscle relaxation. As presented above, it leads to higher risk of snoring at night.
2. What Effects Of Snoring On Health?
The snorers can have high risks of serious health problems, including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- The obstruction of the airway can cause long breathing interruption (often more than 10 seconds).
- Snoring can lead to constricted blood vessels in your lungs and even low oxygen levels in the blood. On the other hand, it leads to higher blood pressure and enlargement of your heart. As a result, you may get the heart attack or stroke, chronic headaches and even obesity.
- If you snore at night, you can suffer from fatigue or sleepy during daytime and frequent waking during the sleep.
II. How To Prevent Snoring Naturally At Home
1. How To Prevent Snoring – Change Your Sleep Position
One of the biggest reasons of snoring is that you sleep on your back. Therefore, changing your sleep position is one of the things you need to do first on how to prevent snoring. Because when you sleep on your side, your tongue and soft palate will touch the back wall of your throat and cause uncomfortable sound during the sleep. If you feel hard to sleep on your side during the night, you can try to use a body pillow, which is as long as your body. Another way is that you can put a tennis ball on the back your clothes and when you roll into your back, you will feel so hard. It will help you on how to prevent snoring naturally.
2. How To Prevent Snoring – Keep Your Body Fit
As said above, the overweight people have higher risks of snoring. If you snore when you become fat but in the past, you did not, we can make sure that weight gaining is the reason. If your neck becomes fatter, it can squeeze the internal size of your throat and it tends to be more collapsed when you are sleeping. According to a research on the journal Lung India “neck circumference of snorers was significantly more than the neck circumference of non-snorers in all BMI groups” . From this study, we can see that the larger neck circumference you have the higher risk of snoring you get. Therefore, it is necessary to get your bodyweight back to normal on how to prevent snoring naturally and getting healthier sleep.
3. How To Prevent Snoring – Limit Or Even Keep Away From Alcohol
Alcohol can help relax our spirit as well as the throat and tongue muscles. And it, especially add negative effects on how to prevent snoring. It is said that drinking alcohol 4 or 5 hours before going to sleep makes snoring worse. And even the people who do not snore usually can also snore after drinking alcohol. Therefore, limit your consumption of alcohol or keep away from it to get rid of snoring and have better sleep .
4. How To Prevent Snoring – Drink Enough Water
Because the secretion of the nose and soft palate is one of the biggest reasons of snoring, it is necessary to drink plenty of water. The Institute of Medicine claimed that “healthy women should have about 11 cups of total water (from all drinks and food) a day; men require about 16 cups.”
5. How To Prevent Snoring – Change Your Pillow
The allergens, which are created by dust mites in your pillow can attribute so much to your snoring level. Another common cause is animal dander, which often happens after your pet sleeps on your bed and pillow. Nowadays, it is advised to use special types of pillow for people with snoring. However, you should also think carefully before buying it because it can lead to neck pain.
6. How To Prevent Snoring – Have A Good Sleeping Habit
Poor sleeping habit such as when you are too tired or lack of sleep after a long working day can create snoring. If you sleep hard and deep, the muscles can create snoring because they become floppier. So, it is necessary to pay attention to your living habits and have a suitable lifestyle.
7. How To Prevent Snoring – Do Throat And Tongue Exercises
If you have a strong throat and tongue, you can effectively avoid snoring. You can start by putting two molars together gently and then open your mouth, as well as trying to press your molars wide apart but not to the point of overstretching. You should do this process 10 – 15 times so that you can feel the open of the back of your mouth.
8. How To Prevent Snoring – Avoid Dairy And Big Meals Late At Night
Consuming milk or big meals late at night may make your snoring worse because of the mucus layer left in your mouth and throat. This will create the prevention of your airways.
9. How To Prevent Snoring – Stop Smoking
As said above, smoking can also cause snoring. Therefore, stop smoking if you want better sleep. For some people, this tip is so hard, because they smoke as a habit and cannot give it up. If you are in this case, you can try some gum, patches or even consult the doctor if necessary.
10. How To Prevent Snoring – Consume More Vitamin C And E
Vitamin C is extremely good for your immune system and can help on how to prevent snoring which caused by throat infections. Another good vitamin for snoring is Vitamin E, which is not only good for your skin but also your heart. As far as you know, heart disease and snoring have a close relation. As a result, if you snore at night, you have a high potential of suffering from heart disease. Furthermore, consumption of vitamins, especially from daily diet, can help your body to be healthy and improve the quality of your sleep. And it, of course, means that you can get rid of snoring during the night without any medicine or doctor consulting.
III. Things You Can Do If You Snore
1. Essential Oils
In 2004, a research carried out at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in the United Kingdom had pointed out that “snoring can be effectively treated with essential oils”. 140 people were chosen to take part in this research with both spray and gargling methods and showed many positive and encouraging results. And here are some ways to use essential oils on how to prevent snoring at home, let's see what they are.
Remedy 1: Room Spray Or Gargling
Spraying essential oils around the room is a wonderful way for you to enjoy your favorite smell. Please breath and let the essential oils work to keep away from snoring.
Furthermore, snoring can also be treated by carefully gargling with essential oils, especially before you go to bed. Peppermint is often recommended in this situation. However, when applying this method, you should make sure that you will not swallow any of the oils. Or else, it will be so dangerous.
Remedy 2: Anti-Snoring Essential Oil
- Mix 1 drops of olive oil with 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- Add 3 drops thyme essential oil
- Mix the above mixture with 3 drops of essential oil of cedar
- Apply the above mixture to your feet bottom, especially your toes before bed
Remedy 3: Chest Massage Oil
- Prepare 1 dark glass bottle
- Add 1 ounce of almond or jojoba oil, 2 drops of thyme, 5 drops of lavender, 2 drops of cedar wood essential oil, 5 drops of eucalyptus and 5 drops of cinnamon bark
- Mix well all of these above ingredients
- Use the bottle with the above mixture inside to massage your chest before going to bed
- Combine with breathing deeply when you are massaging
Note: You can save this mixture in this bottle and remember that before each use, you have to shake them well.
Remedy 4: Eucalyptus And Geranium
For this remedy, you need to prepare these following things:
- Mist spray bottle
- 2 ounces of pure water
- 30 drops of geranium
- 30 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of basil
- 10 drops of eucalyptus
- 30 drops of marjoram
- 15 drops of cedar wood essential oil
- Mix all of the above ingredients of essential oils in the mist spray bottle.
- Before sleeping, spray this mixture around your room several times so that you can inhale the mist at home
- If you have serious snoring, you can spray this mixture one more time during the night.
- And, remember to shake this mixture before each time of using
Remedy 5: Grapefruit, Myrtle, And Spruce
- Mix these following ingredients together:
- 15 drops of grapefruit
- 35 drops of myrtle
- 45 drops of spruce
- 3 ounces of fresh water
- 15 drops of marjoram
- 25 drops of eucalyptus
- 25 drops of bay leaf
- Add the above mixture in a mist spray bottle
- Spray the above mixture around your room several times before bed
- If necessary, you can mist one more time during the night to fully help on how to prevent snoring at home.
One of the best foods to prevent snoring that you should consume is turmeric. In turmeric, there are antiseptic and antibiotic properties, which can help to treat inflammation and heavy snoring very effectively. It is often recommended to use turmeric with warm milk to cure breathing problems and especially widen your immune system.
- Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder to 1 glass of warm milk.
- Stir to make them a good mixture
- Drink this 30 minutes before you go to bed
- You can daily apply this remedy to reduce your snoring to nothing.
If you snore, you can apply our method with honey below. The reason why we recommend honey is that it is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce the obstruction of the airway in your throat. Moreover, turmeric can help to reduce snoring by greasing your throat and release the vibration of the vocal cords.
- Prepare a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of honey to it
- Drink this before you go to bed
- Apply this method daily to have the best result
- Prepare a cup of herbal tea
- Add several drops of honey
- Drink this tea after the dinner
4. Sage Leaves
Sage leaves contain anti-hypertensive, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and even anti-microbial, which work effectively in prevent snoring. It can reduce the inflammation and mucus congestion in your airways, and as a result, it will help on how to prevent snoring naturally. Follow our directions below to have the best structure for snoring treatment.
- Add a handful of sage leaves to the pot the boiling water
- Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to this pot
- Put a towel over your head and stream so that you can breathe with the air form the pot
- Add a handful of sage leaves to the pot of hot water
- Wait for about 5 – 10 minutes for the sage leaves to steep
- Cool the water
- Rinse your mouth with the above mixture
- You should remember to apply this every day and before the bedtime to get rid of uncomfortable sounds during the sleep.
5. Ginger And Honey
Like sage leaves, ginger has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties so that it can soothe your throat. When being combined with honey, it will grease the throat tissues and open up the cavity of your nose. Ginger tea is usually considered the most effective remedy on how to prevent snoring at home. Follow our directions below to know how to make fresh ginger tea for snoring prevention.
- Prepare 1 – 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root
- Then wash, peel, and cut them
- Put the cut ginger into a pan and add a little more than a cup of water
- Boil the above mixture in 3 or 4 minutes
- Let the above-boiled mixture steep for about 5 minutes
- Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of honey to this mixture
- Mix them well
- You finish the process of making a cup of fresh ginger tea
- Cool the tea and enjoy it
- In order to have the best result, you can drink 3 – 4 cups of this ginger tea per day.
Tips & Precautions
- When using essential oils, you have to make sure that you will not swallow or let them touch your eyes. If you have a sensitive condition, do a small patch test to ensure that you are not allergic to this essential oil.
- It is very good to use essential oils on how to prevent snoring naturally. However, you should also consult the doctor to have the best advice before using essential oils to treat this disease.
- When you buy essential oils, you have to make sure that they are high-qualified products. The manufacturers and scientists enact no standard of these oils' quality. You have to be responsible for yourself when choosing a suitable type of essential oils.
- Buy products with 100% of essential oils and avoid the one without any notice of essential oil percentage.
- Remember to check the products' smell before buying to ensure that the product you buy is in good condition.
- As snoring causes many bad effects to our health, it is about time to treat it. The above-mentioned remedies are not only nature and cheap but also very effective. If you apply this regularly, snoring will not a terrible problem so far.
Above are some useful tips on how to prevent snoring naturally at home that you can apply. If you have any comment or other ways, you can leave under this article. You can also visit our How To page to learn more effective remedies that you can apply at home.