Mouth ulcers are one of the common health conditions which you have to face every day. They will make you painful. But it is depending on their particular location in your mouth cavity. And it can hurt you when you eat or speak. When you see these symptoms, you know that it’s time to treat mouth ulcers. Here are some symptoms of them: a painful sore inside your mouth, on your lips or on your tongue, fever, swollen lymph nodes, as well as physical sluggishness. So what are the reasons causing mouth ulcers? The main reason causing mouth ulcer is lack of nutrients. Some other factors causing mouth ulcers are stress, hereditary factor, excess acidity, hormonal changes along with accidental cheek bites. Thus, supplying enough nutrients which you lack seems to be useful. But it takes you a few days to show the effects.
Now do you want to know some remedies which can help you to relieve the pain of mouth ulcers? If “yes”, please continue reading this article on our page Effectiveremedies.com which will present to you the best home remedies for mouth ulcers on lips, gums and tongue you can follow to get rid of them soon.
Top 15 Natural Home Remedies For Mouth Ulcers On Lips & Gums
These are 15 natural home remedies which you can do to get rid of mouth ulcers on lips, gums and tongue soon:
1. Licorice Root
In this case, licorice root is the most wonderful solution. Licorice root can work as the demulcent. Also, it creates the protective coating on your mucous membranes which is able to fight against irritation as well as soothe open injuries. It includes antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Here is the way which you are looking for:
- Firstly, take a tablespoon of licorice root
- Then crush it
- After that, soak it into two cups of water
- Next leave it on for about two or three hours
- Finally, rinse your mouth with this liquid several times per day
- Do this remedy every day until your mouth is better
Another option for you, in this case, is to use chewable licorice tablets every day.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
2. Coconut Milk
Another choice for you, when you have mouth ulcers, is using coconut milk. It is beneficial in relieving the pain caused by mouth ulcers. This is the detailed instruction which you can follow to get rid of this problem:
- Now mix a tablespoon of coconut milk with a little honey
- After that, use this mixture to massage your affected area
- Continue doing this three or four times a day
- Repeat every day until your condition is improved
Besides, you can treat mouth ulcers by wash off your mouth with coconut milk every day. And it is much easier to massage your affected area with coconut oil.
3. Sea Salt With Hydrogen Peroxide
When you have mouth ulcers, why don’t you try using the mixture between sea salt and hydrogen peroxide? As you know, both ingredients have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory as well as disinfectant properties which can treat not only mouth ulcers but also canker sores. Here is the specific direction for you:
- Firstly, prepare well these things: two tablespoons of sea salt, two tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide and a glass of warm water.
- After that, add sea salt and hydrogen peroxide into the glass of water
- Next mix them well together
- Finally, use this mixture in order to rinse your mouth
- Repeat this process once or twice a day
- Continue every day until your situation is better
But remember not to swallow this solution.
4. Coriander Seeds
“Food, Like Your Money, Should Be Working For You!”
Coriander seeds are also listed as one of the natural and effective home remedies for mouth ulcers. Why should it be used to treat mouth ulcers? The reason is that it can give you a relief from the pain caused by mouth ulcers along with reducing inflammation. Thus, what you need to do is following these steps below:
- First pour a tablespoon of coriander seeds into a cup of water
- Next boil it
- Then strain the liquid
- After that, allow it to cool
- Finally, swish this solution around in your mouth
- Follow these steps three or four times per day
- Repeat it daily until you notice the positive result
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda, which is sometimes called sodium bicarbonate, is said to be the fantastic treatment for mouth ulcers. Baking soda can help to neutralize the acid, so it can easily treat for those which is caused by acidic drinks and foods. Furthermore, it can decrease inflammation and remove bacteria and germs. You had better be aware that it can cause the burn sensation. This is the particular direction which you are looking forward to so that you can treat mouth ulcers.
- First prepare a teaspoon of baking soda along with an enough amount of water
- Next mix them well together in order to get a thin paste
- Finally, rub the mixture on your affected area
- Follow this direction several times a day
- Repeat every day until your situation is improved
In addition, it is much simpler to directly apply baking soda on your mouth ulcers.
Talking about natural home remedies for mouth ulcers, honey should be mentioned too. It can help you to soothe mouth ulcers because of retaining moisture. Besides, it can speed up the healing process. Moreover, it contains antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Here is the recipe which you are finding:
- Now take a cotton swab
- Then simply dip this into honey
- Finally, rub it on your mouth ulcers
- Keep do this various times per day
- Repeat to do daily until you see the result.
And for mouth ulcers which are caused by radiation therapy, manuka honey is the best solution.
7. Aloe Vera
If you have mouth ulcers, you had better use aloe vera. It is said to be a useful treatment for oral health problems like mouth ulcers, lichen planus, cold sores, as well as gingivitis. Thanks to antiviral, antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties, aloe vera can alleviate pain along with promoting the healing process. Here is the specific direction for you:
- Firstly, take an aloe vera leaf and wash it
- Then take the gel from this leaf out
- Finally, apply this gel on your affected area
- Do this process several times per day
- Keep doing every day until you see the result
Sometimes, you can use aloe vera juice instead of using aloe vera gel. If you choose to use aloe vera gel, you also can buy this gel at many stores instead of taking it from the leaf.
Celery is also mentioned as one of the natural home remedies for mouth ulcers. Due to the anti-inflammatory and analgesic in the celery, it will give you a relief from the pain which is caused by mouth ulcers. Furthermore, it consists of folic acid as well as vitamins B1, B2, C, B6 and others.
Thus, if you want to cure mouth ulcers, you just need to prepare celery. It is very simple to chew a fresh celery stalk various times per day daily. In order to get the best result, keep the pulp on your affected area for 10 minutes after you chew the stalk. Besides, you can add celery on your diet every day.
Not only it helps you to cure mouth ulcers but also keeps the bad breath at bay.
When talking about the home remedies for mouth ulcers, you should not forget this herb which is called basil. Basil leaves can help to speed the healing process up. In addition, it composes antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Therefore, when you get mouth ulcers, just need to follow these steps below:
- Now take four – five basil leaves
- Then wash them thoroughly
- After that, chew them
- Finally, sip a little water
- Do this in the morning and in the evening (twice per day)
- Repeat daily until you see the positive result
Furthermore, doing this process with basil leave will help to cure the bad breath.
10. Ice Cubes
Ice cubes are one of the easy but effective home remedies for mouth ulcers. They are able to help you to numb the pain which is caused by mouth ulcers.
Therefore, take out the ice from your refrigerator. And then apply it on your affected area as soon as you get these symptoms such as tingling as well as burning sensation before the appearance of the shallow ulceration. Do this several times per day as needed. Keep doing until your condition is improved.
11. Fenugreek Leaves
When being concerned with home remedies for mouth ulcers, fenugreek leaves are also one of them. This is the way which you can follow to cure mouth ulcers:
- First take a cup of fenugreek leaves
- Then add it to two cups of water
- After that, boil it
- Then strain the water
- Now keep it aside for a few minutes by using a lid to cover it
- Finally, gargle this twice or thrice per day
- Repeat every day until your situation becomes better
In the list of home remedies which can be used to treat mouth ulcers, there is a wonderful and easy treatment you should know. That is tomato which can easily be found in your kitchen. Now it’s time to use it to cure mouth ulcers by using the detailed direction below
- Firstly, take one or two tomatoes and wash carefully
- After that, cut them before putting grinder
- Next grind them in order to extract the juice
- Finally, gargle with this juice
- Do this procedure three or four times per day
- Keep doing daily until your situation is improved
13. Lemon Juice
Talking about the treatments for mouth ulcers, lemon juice can be listed as one of them too. Here is the recipe which you are looking for to cure this problem:
- Take a lemon
- Then cut it into two halves
- Apply it on the affected area in order to let its juice work but you will feel a little hurt. Although it will be numb, it is very good.
- Finally, add honey on your affected area
- Do this various times per day
- Keep doing every day until your condition is improved
14. Baking Soda With Lemon, Honey, Water
Baking soda and lemon are good home remedies for mouth ulcers. And when combining them together, you will get a better and faster result. This is the way which you can follow to implement this treatment.
- Firstly, prepare a quarter of teaspoon of baking soda and a fresh cut lemon
- Next squeeze out the juice
- After that, add the juice to the baking soda and put the mixture into the blender
- Then add a half of teaspoon of honey as well as a tablespoon of cold water
- Now mix all the ingredients well together
- Finally, apply this on your ulcers
- Perform this process twice per day daily, once in the morning and once in the evening before the bedtime for about a week
15. Root Of Indian Gooseberry And Honey
If you have mouth ulcers, let’s use the root of Indian gooseberry. Here is the way which you can follow to cure mouth ulcers
- Firstly, take a bark of Indian gooseberry
- Then grind it into the powder
- Next mix the powder with a little honey in order to make a thick paste
- Finally, apply it on your ulcers
- Do this several times per day daily until you notice the positive result
In addition, you ought to do these tips if you want to treat or prevent mouth ulcers:
- Use the soft brush to brush your teeth twice a day in the morning and in the evening
- Consume comforting foods like ice-cream, custard and yogurt
- Avoid eating spicy and hot foods
- Eat more foods which contain a lot of vitamin C
- Stay away from coffee, alcohol or beer, and tobacco
- Reduce stress by doing some relaxing activities such as meditation, yoga or playing with the animals and so on.
- Have healthy diet every day
- Floss regularly
- Go to the dentist regularly
- Consume more fruits such as oranges, pineapples, and so on
- Take one multivitamin supplement more often
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 15 natural and effective home remedies for mouth ulcers on lips, gums and tongue, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your mouth ulcers easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any in these home remedies for mouth ulcers. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for mouth ulcers, please leave them below.