Diabetes, or also called diabetes mellitus, is a health problem that has become more and more common in modern life. There are two main types of this disease that are type 1 diabetes mellitus and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Some common symptoms of diabetes mellitus include weight loss, fatigue, increased urination (frequent urination), excessive thirst (increased thirst), increased hunger, cut and bruises which are slow to treat and blurred vision.
Although there is no treatment for diabetes, with the sugar level in your blood under control you may live a completely normal life. There are many natural home remedies for diabetes that can help you to control the sugar level in your blood. Continue reading this article to know more! There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
- Top 14 tips to prevent diabetes naturally
- Top 23 must-know ways to improve blood circulation
- Top 25 natural treatments for low blood pressure symptoms
Top 20 Effective And Natural Home Remedies For Diabetes
1. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd, also called bitter melon, contains the blood glucose lowering effects, which can help to deal with diabetes significantly. It can also help you to increase pancreatic insulin secretion and prevent insulin resistance. Therefore, bitter gourd is very beneficial for both types of diabetes. However, it may not be used to completely replace insulin treatment.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
Remedy 1: Bitter gourds
- 4 to 5 bitter gourds
- A sieve
- A peeler
- A little water
- Peel off the skin of bitter gourds by using the peeler.
- Remove these seeds and cut these gourds into pieces.
- Crush these peeled and deseeded bitter gourd pieces to make a paste.
- Place this paste on the sieve and squeeze this to extract the juice.
- Add water into the bitter juice and consume the freshly extracted juice every morning when your stomach is empty.
- You should drink this juice regularly.
Remedy 2: Bitter gourd and ghee
- 1 bitter gourd
- A pan
- A little ghee or clarified butter
- Cut the bitter gourd into pieces.
- Add the ghee or clarified butter to the pan.
- Pour these bitter gourd pieces into this pan and cook it for some minutes.
- Have these pieces frequently.
- You may follow this remedy every day for about 3 – 4 months.
Remedy 3: Bitter gourd pieces
- 5 to 7 dried bitter melon pieces
- 1 cup of water
- A pan
- Pour the water into the pan and boil it for some minutes.
- Add these dried bitter gourd pieces into this pan.
- Stir them well and strain the tea by using the sieve.
- Drink the bitter gourd tea.
- Continue drinking this tea for about 1 or 2 times per day.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek can assist you in stimulating the cells in your pancreas gland and increasing the insulin production.
Remedy 1: Fenugreek seeds and water
- Fenugreek seeds – 3 or 4 tablespoons
- Water – 1 glass
- A bowl
- Place the fenugreek seeds into the bowl.
- Add water to this bowl and then soak these seeds for overnight.
- Crush these seeds in the next morning and strain it to take the water.
- Drink this water immediately.
- Take the fenugreek liquid daily for about two months.
Remedy 2: Fenugreek seeds and water
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1 glass
- A bowl
- Take a bowl and add these fenugreek seeds into this.
- Pour the water into this and soak them overnight.
- Chew these soaked fenugreek seeds slowly in the next morning on an empty stomach. You can consume this water along with these seeds.
- Follow this remedy in every morning for several months.
Remedy 3: Fenugreek seeds and warm milk
- Fenugreek seeds powder – 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Warm milk – 1 glass
- Add the fenugreek seeds powder into the warm milk.
- Stir them well.
- Drink this solution.
- Repeat this remedy every day.
Remedy 4: Fenugreek seeds, turmeric, white pepper, and milk
- Fenugreek seeds – 6 or 7 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 2 or 3 tablespoons
- A little white pepper
- Milk – 1 glass
- Pour these fenugreek seeds into a small bowl.
- Add turmeric powder and white pepper in it.
- Stir them well and grind this mixture to make a fine powder.
- Add this powder (1 teaspoon) to milk.
- Mix them well and have this milk.
- Follow this remedy for 2 or 3 times per day.
3. Holy Basil
Holy basil contains antibacterial, anti-stress, antifungal, antidiabetic, antiviral, antioxidant, anti-tumor, antiasthmatic, gastric antiulcer, anti-mutagenic, and immune-stimulant properties, all of which can help to stimulate glucose levels in the blood .
Remedy 1: Fresh basil leaves
- 2 to 5 fresh basil leaves
- Wash the fresh basil leaves thoroughly.
- Put them into your mouth and start chewing them.
- Chew them in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Reuse this remedy in every morning.
Remedy 2: Basil leaves and water
- Basil leaves – a few leaves
- Water – a glass
- Crush these fresh basil leaves properly to take the juice (1 teaspoon).
- Add this juice to water and mix them well.
- Consume this water in the morning with your empty stomach.
- Follow this treatment in every morning for several months.
Remedy 3: Basil leaves, neem leaves, and bael leaves
- 5 basil leaves
- 5 neem leaves
- 5 bael leaves
- Crush the basil leaves, neem leaves, and bael leaves finely to make a paste.
- Consume this paste in the morning with your empty stomach.
- Have this solution daily.
4. Indian Gooseberry
Remedy 1: Gooseberry and water
- Water – 1 cup
- Gooseberry – 2 to 3
- A clean cloth
- Cut the Indian gooseberries into pieces.
- Take out these seeds and put the seedless amla pieces onto a mixture grinder.
- Grind them to make a fine paste and then pour this paste onto the fine cloth.
- Squeeze this paste to take its juice.
- Add this amla juice (about 2 tablespoons) into the water.
- Stir them well and have this with your empty stomach.
- Consume this solution in every morning.
Remedy 2: Amla juice and bitter gourd juice
- Bitter gourd juice – 1 cup
- Amla juice – 1 tablespoon
- Take the amla juice and add the bitter gourd juice into it.
- Stir them well and then consume this mixture.
- Try following this remedy every day for a few months.
Remedy 3: Amla powder and water
- Amla powder – 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1 cup
- At first, you add amla powder into the cup of water.
- Then, you stir them well and drink this water.
- You should repeat the remedy regularly.
Remedy 4: Amla powder, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder, and water
- Fenugreek seeds powder – ½ tablespoon
- Amla powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ tablespoon
- Water – ½ cup
- Add the amla powder, turmeric powder, and fenugreek seeds powder into the cup.
- Stir them well and drink this solution in the morning with your empty stomach.
- Follow it in every morning.
- You can also add this amla to the daily diet or have the raw amla.
5. Cinnamon With Water
Remedy 1: Cinnamon powder and water
- Water – 1 liter
- Cinnamon powder – 3 teaspoons
- Take the water and allow it to boil for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon powder into this and continue simmering this water for another 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid.
- Drink this water every day.
Remedy 2: Cinnamon powder and warm water
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Add cinnamon powder in the warm water.
- Drink this mixture daily.
- You can also sprinkle cinnamon powder onto the salads, dips, or other dishes.
- Alternatively, you can add cinnamon powder into the milk, tea, or coffee.
- You can also take cinnamon capsule. According to research, 500 mg capsule of cinnamon taken twice a day for 90 days improved hemoglobin A1C levels.
6. Curry Leaves
The leaves of curry are very high in minerals such as copper, zinc, and iron which are essential for maintaining the blood glucose levels normally. These leaves are also effective in reducing the sugar levels in the blood and thereby are helpful for people with diabetes caused by obesity.
Remedy 1: Curry leaves
- 8 or 10 curry leaves (or 3/4 tsp)
- Wash the fresh curry leaves properly.
- Place these curry leaves into your mouth for overnight.
- Chew them finely in the next morning.
- Repeat the chewing process for one time daily.
Remedy 2: Curry leaves
- A few curry leaves
- Add these fresh curry leaves into your cooking.
- Or, you add these leaves into dips, gravies, curries, salads, and sauces.
- Continue adding these curry leaves in your daily cooking.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera contains certain compounds such as anthraquinones and lectins, which help to decrease the presence of glucose in the blood and maintain it properly afterwards . Besides, it exhibits incredible antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents, which protect you from various other problems such as ulcers, infections, wounds, etc. related to diabetes.
Remedy 1: Aloe vera gel, turmeric powder, and bay leaves powder
- Aloe vera gel – 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Bay leaves powder – 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Take all the above ingredients and add them into a small bowl.
- Stir them well and consume the mixture before having lunch or dinner.
- Follow the same process daily.
Remedy 2: Aloe vera juice and buttermilk
- Aloe vera juice – 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Add the aloe vera juice into the buttermilk.
- Stir them well and drink this solution.
- Have this solution daily to treat diabetes and many other health benefits.
If you want to know more about home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 20 effective and natural home remedies for diabetes, I hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of this problem. However, the article is only for informational purposes, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any natural home remedy. If you have any questions, or you know other natural home remedies for diabetes, please share them with us below.