As you may already know, the kidneys play an important role in filtering and detoxify impurities from our blood and eliminating byproducts from the urine. However, when chemicals in the urine such as oxalic acid, uric acid, calcium, and phosphorous are not dissolved and crystallized in the kidneys, kidney stones may form from the crystallization, which deposits in the kidneys. Kidney stones can be a very common health problem life due to causes such as too much vitamin D, kidney disease, gout, dehydration, urinary tract infection, mineral imbalance and diet. Kidney stones can grow large enough to get stuck in the ureter and obstruct the renal ducts, which leads to pain in the urinary tract. They may also cause renal failure if left untreated. This article describes 10 suggested natural home remedies for kidney stones in both men and women. Scientific-based evidence is limited for the following traditional home treatments; therefore, always consult your doctor first.
- Top 12 tips to prevent kidney stones from forming
- Top 18 home remedies for kidney infection pain
- Top 13 effective remedies for kidney fairlure
10 Most Effective Home Remedies For Kidney Stones
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
One potential solution for kidney stones is using apple cider vinegar (ACV) because of its properties below:
- ACV has an alkalizing impact on the blood and urine, which improves the digestive process and may help remove kidney stones.
- Citric acid present in ACV helps dissolve kidney stones by softening them.
- It’s naturally acidic and works to balance your body by dissolving the tiny crystals forming into stones.
- It has phosphorus and acetic acid which helps to dissolve the crystals or decrease the size of stones so that they may pass freely. (This may also help to reduce pain associated with kidney stones.)
- ACV contains antioxidants, which may protect against kidney oxidative injury.
You can use apple cider vinegar for kidney stones as follows:
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Add 2 tsp of raw honey to 1 tsp of ACV and mix them well.
- Drink it regularly throughout the day.
- Another way is mixing a little bit of honey with 1 tsp of ACV into a cup of fresh water and drink it
- Combine ½ tsp of baking soda with 2 tbsp of ACV. Baking soda helps to get rid of acid and alkalize your body quickly because the kidney stones are formed in an acidic environment.
- Mix the mixture well in a cup of water and drink it.
- Drink this mixture after it fizzes.
- Try this this three times a day to remove the kidney stones.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon may be used to prevent your kidneys from stones due to the following properties:
- The citric acid present in lemon may inhibit the formation of calcium stones and break up tiny stones which are the first stage of kidney stones. This citric acid binds with the calcium in your urine and increases the amount of calcium that is available to form uric acid stones and calcium oxalate stones.
- It may dissolve and break up the stones in your kidneys in order to make them pass freely from the kidney to the bladder through urination.
- Because of lemon, the urine is less acidic, which inhibits the development of uric acid stones and calcium oxalate.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic which protects your kidneys from rapid growth of bacteria.
- The anti-inflammatory agents of lemons may help alleviate other symptoms such as pain during urination .
- Squeeze a few fresh lemons to extract about 4 oz of lemon juice.
- Add it to two liters of water, add a little bit of sugar into this mixture, if desired, and stir well.
- Drink lemon juice to flush out kidney stones.
- Drink this twice a day in the morning and evening.
- You can also add a small amount of lemon juice to foods such as meat, fish, salad dressing and other fried foods, etc. to improve the health of your kidneys.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of basil juice in a glass of wheatgrass.
- Mix this mixture well and drink it to treat kidney stones.
- Have this 2-3 times per day.
Both the juice and seeds of pomegranates have astringent properties, which may be used to treat kidney stones . Below are ways to consume pomegranates:
- Try drinking a glass of fresh pomegranate juice and eat one pomegranate daily. You can combine the pomegranate with a fruit salad.
- Alternatively, crush one tablespoon of pomegranate seeds to paste. Add this paste to a bowl of horse gram soup daily.
- Add pomegranates to a green salad daily.
4. Kidney Bean
Kidney beans are full of fiber, which has many positive effects on fighting many diseases, including bladder or kidney issues, including kidney stones.
- Soak the beans overnight, drain the water, then add the beans to a pot of hot water.
- Bring the water to a boil then simmer for an hour or until the beans are tender and soft.
- Strain the liquid and let it cool.
- Eat beans daily for optimal health.
- Try adding beans to salads, soups, and tacos.
Because it contains anti-spasmodic properties, raw celery juice may help relieve pain associated with kidney stones . Additionally, it may clear out toxins that accumulate in kidney stones. The celery juice is also an excellent natural diuretic, which means that it may help improve the volume of urine and pass the stones.
- Drink a glass of fresh celery juice every day to reduce more stones in your kidneys.
- You can also drink herbal tea made from celery seeds to help prevent kidney stones from forming.
6. Dandelion Root
Dandelion root may help with the production of bile that carries away waste in digestion, thereby helping to remove kidney stones due to its natural properties .
How to make dandelion root tea:
- Prepare ¼ of water and fresh dandelion root.
- Boil the water in a saucepan.
- Chop the dandelion root. Add about two tablespoons of chopped roots to this saucepan.
- Boil then simmer the water one minute.
- Remove the pan from heat and wait for about 40 minutes.
- Strain it and drink the tea daily.
- You can also use dandelion root as a part of salads or other recipes.
Wheatgrass juice has many useful benefits in treating kidney stones and other kidney diseases. Wheatgrass juice is a rich source of potassium, magnesium, amino acids, iron, vitamin B, and chlorophyll. It additionally exhibits antioxidant effects that guard your kidneys against free radical damage.
- Mix 1 teaspoon juice of basil leaves, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with one glass of wheatgrass juice.
- Consume this resultant mixture.
- Drink this 2-3 times per day.
8. Nettle Leaf
Nettle leaf is an excellent natural diuretic because it maintains the flow of blood and water through bladder and kidneys, so it helps promote smooth urination . It’s also has natural anti-bacterial properties, preventing bacterial growth in the kidneys.
- Add about two teaspoons of dried nettle leaf in a glass of hot water.
- Steep the nettle leaf and strain it after about ten minutes.
- Drink 2-3 cups of nettle tea every day for several weeks until you see the improvement.
Watermelon is a nutrition powerhouse because of its magnesium, phosphorus and calcium. The potassium in the watermelon is an important ingredient for healthy kidneys. It helps to maintain and regulate the acid base balance in the urine. Along with that, this fruit is high in water content, which may help pass kidney stones. Eating or drinking watermelon regularly may help to prevent kidney stones. You can use watermelon seeds to make tea as well.
Basil is a natural tonic for your kidneys and nutrition for your organs’ overall health. It may also help get rid of stones from your urinary tract.
- Mix one teaspoon each of honey and basil. Have it daily. If honey is not your favorite, you can chew 2-3 leaves or take pure basil juice every day.
- You can also make a basil tea by steeping 5 or 6 leaves in boiling water. After about 10 minutes, add one teaspoon of honey. Strain and drink the basil tea when it cools.
If you would like to know about effective natural home remedies for other diseases, please go to our main Home Remedies page.