A swollen lip can make you feel pain and embarrassed. It will be accompanied by cuts and bleeding. And when you have swollen lip, you will have difficulty in drinking, talking, eating and even opening your mouth. Why do you get swollen lip? Swelling mainly happens because of some types of pain to the soft tissue of your lips. Besides, there are some other factors which cause swollen lip. They include extreme weather conditions, nutritional deficiencies, an insect bite, a viral infection, dryness, an allergic reaction along with using lip care products with poor quality. Therefore, treating swollen lip is very necessary. Using over-the-counter or medicines, which are prescribed, can help you to treat the swollen lip. If your swollen lip is caused by allergy, some serious injuries, or a medical condition, you should consult your doctor. However, you should also try using some natural solutions to remove a swollen lip. If you want to know what these solutions are and how to apply them, please continue reading the article on our page EffectiveRemedies.com. This article will present to you some useful tips on how to get rid of swollen lip which you can follow easily to remove your problem fast.
- Top natural home remedies for mouth ulcers on lips & gums
- Top natural home remedies for canker sores on tongue in mouth
14 Best Solutions on How to Get Rid of Swollen Lip Fast and Naturally
These are top 14 ways on how to get rid of swollen lip fast and naturally
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil with anti-inflammatory properties helps to lower the swelling on your lips. Moreover, its application can render the lips a soothing effect. Some studies found that, in addition to its sweet and fresh smell, coconut oil can effectively fight against inflammation and promote the blood circulation , . Thus, how to get rid of swollen lip with coconut oil? Let’s see the recipe below:
- You need to prepare some coconut oil (about 1 teaspoon). Then, apply on the swollen lips with the coconut oil. Repeat this process three to four times per day for maximum results.
- It will reduce the pain, the swelling and soothe the lips.
Vaseline is also a great remedy to the query on how to get rid of swollen lip. Vaseline will help to remove dryness and swelling of your delicate lips. You can take a little of Vaseline and apply directly on your lips. Massage it mildly till it gets absorbed totally. Unlike dangerous chemicals, petroleum jelly is safe and good for the skin. In order to moisturize the lips and lower the swelling, you should apply petroleum jelly on regular intervals.
3. How To Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Lip Balm
Using lip balm can be considered as a tremendous natural home remedy for swollen lip. You can apply to the inflamed lips with a layer of lip balm. Using lip balm also keeps your lips moisturized, thereby helping to reduce the swelling.
4. Cold Compress
When you see your lip swelling, a cold compress will help you to get rid of this problem. The fact shows that it is the best way to reduce swelling caused by lip piercing, cuts or oral herpes. Besides, because of the coldness of ice, the cold compress can help to soothe embarrassing swollen lips immediately. Now what you need to do is mentioned below:
- Firstly, put some ice cubes in a washcloth or paper towel.
- Then wrap it
- Next place it over your swollen lip for about 10 minutes
- After that, take a break
- Finally, repeat this process for 10 minutes
- Do this remedy several times a day until you get a relief from discomfort and pain and the swelling goes down
Remember not to directly apply ice on your swollen lip because it can result in mild frostbite or soreness.
5. How to Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Aloe Vera
When you are finding how to get rid of swollen lip, aloe vera is a wonderful suggestion for your situation. Aloe vera contains various anti-inflammatory properties which can help to reduce swelling along with the burning sensation from your swollen lip. In addition, it is considered as the best way to treat swollen lip which is caused by some types of allergic reaction or insect bites, especially mosquito bites. Therefore, in order to get rid of this problem, you ought to consult this detailed instruction below:
- Firstly, extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf
- Then apply this gel on your swollen lip
- Finally, massage your lip gently so that aloe vera gel can be absorbed into your lip
- Do this treatment two or three times a day until your swollen lip is gone.
Read more other health benefits of aloe vera
6. Black Tea Bag
In order to get rid of swollen lip, the black tea bag is one of the best treatments. Black tea has compounds which are known as tannins. These compounds contain excellent astringent qualities which may decrease swelling in soft tissues of your lips. Now, follow the detailed instructions below:
- Firstly, soak a black tea bag into a cup of warm water
- Then let it steep for about 10 minutes
- Next remove the water
- After that, let it cool
- Finally, apply it gently on your swollen lip for about 10 minutes
- Do this process several times a day until you get your expected result
Honey  is said to be an effective and quick way on how to get rid of swollen lip. It has antibacterial and healing properties which can help to reduce inflammation, swelling as well as pain. It also keeps your lips moisturized. Now it’s time for you to follow these steps below:
- Firstly, take a teaspoon of honey
- Then dip a cotton ball in honey
- Next apply it on your swollen lip
- After that, leave it on for about 20 minutes
- Finally, wash your lip off with cold water
- Do this twice or thrice a day until you get your expected result
Read more other health benefits of honey
8. How To Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Turmeric And Fuller Earth
Turmeric consists of antiseptic and healing properties which can treat swollen lip. The antiseptic properties in turmeric can prevent infection. Now you can follow these steps below to make an herbal ointment:
- Firstly, mix a teaspoon of fuller’s earth with a little turmeric powder and water in order to make a paste
- Then apply this paste on your swollen lip
- After that, leave it on for some time
- Finally, use lukewarm water to wash off
- Follow these steps twice a day to get a relief from the pain
Read more other benefits of turmeric
9. How To Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Baking Soda
When you want to get rid of swollen lip, one of the most effective suggestions for you, in this case, is baking soda. It is often suggested for those who have swollen lip caused by an insect bite, an allergic reaction, and a fever blister. Baking soda can help to reduce inflammation and pain. Now what you need to do is mentioned below:
- Firstly, mix a teaspoon of water with 3 teaspoons of baking soda so as to make a thick paste
- Then apply this paste on your swollen lip
- Next leave it on for some time
- Finally, use cold water to wash off
- Do this process several times a day until you get your expected result
If you get swollen lip which is caused by some types of cut, just go to your kitchen and take some salt. Salt is able to work as a natural disinfectant which kills germs that cause infection in the cuts. Thus, applying this remedy is the good choice to get rid of swollen lip.
- Firstly, pour a tablespoon of salt into a cup of warm water
- Then stir well
- Next dip a cotton ball into this solution
- Finally, dab it on your swollen lips for a few minutes
- Do this process once or twice a day until you get your expected result.
At first, you will get a burning sensation; however, this remedy is very beneficial in bringing the swelling down along with healing the cut.
11. How To Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Tea Tree Oil
When we are talking about the ways to get rid of swollen lip, tea tree oil is also mentioned. It is considered as an effective remedy for swollen lip which is caused by a cut due to its antimicrobial  and anti-inflammatory properties. Now, follow the specific directions below:
- Firstly, dilute a little tea tree oil with some carrier oil. You can use coconut oil or olive oil.
- Then apply this mixture of oil on your swollen lip
- Next leave it on from 30 minutes to an hour
- Finally, wash off your lip with water
- Follow this remedy a few times a day until you notice positive result
Pay attention: children should not use tea tree oil and you should not use tea tree oil pure concentration. And in case of irritation, you have to use cold water to wash the affected area immediately.
Read more other benefits of tea tree oil
12. How To Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Tea Tree Oil & Aloe Vera
In the list of the answers to the question “how to get rid of swollen lip?”, the combination of tea tree oil and aloe vera is mentioned too. Thanks to the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties in tea tree oil, it can help to treat swollen lip caused by a cut. Meanwhile, aloe vera can reduce swelling and burning sensation from your swollen lip because of its anti-inflammatory. So, what you need to do is to perform this treatment as the following direction.
- Firstly, pour some drops of tea tree oil into a teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- Then mix them well
- Next apply this mixture on your swollen lip. You had better use a small amount of the mixture
- After that, massage your lip gently for a few minutes
- Now leave it on for about 20 minutes or 30 minutes
- Finally, wash it off
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day until you see the positive result
Pay attention: children are not allowed to use tea tree oil and you do not use this oil in its pure concentration. If you are in case of irritation, immediately use cold water to wash off your affected area
13. Warm Compress
Just like cold compress, hot compress is a different way to cure swollen lip.
It improves the blood flow to your lips as well as reduces accumulation of blood in the affected area. That’s why it can reduce swelling and inflammation. Now it’s time for you to follow this detailed instruction below:
- Firstly, soak your washcloth into warm water
- Then remove the excess water
- Finally, apply it on your lip
- Repeat this process after one hour and keep doing several times a day to get a relief from the pain
In order to get the best result, you ought to use hot and cold compress consecutively every four hours
Pay attention: if your lip has a break, don’t use this remedy. In addition, you had better avoid using hot compress during the initial days of the injury.
14. How To Get Rid Of Swollen Lip With Witch Hazel And Salt
In the list of remedies which can help to get rid of swollen lip, witch hazel is also listed. It can help to reduce swelling, clean the cut as well as soothe the pain. Witch hazel  contains astringent that helps to clean and disinfect the surface of the skin. Along with that, it can decrease inflammation and soothe the swollen & sensitive skin on the lips. Now you need to follow these steps below:
- Firstly, mix a tablespoon of witch hazel and a half tablespoon of salt
- Then apply this mixture on your swollen lip by using a cotton ball
- Next leave it on for 30 minutes
- Finally, use cold water to wash off your lip
- Follow this remedy several times a day as needed in order to notice the improvement
Read more other benefits of witch hazel
Additional Tips To Prevent Lip Swelling:
- Eat Green: It’s advised to include broccoli, dark green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, papayas, tomatoes, kiwis, etc. in your regular diet. They will protect the body from lip swelling because they are full of vitamin C.
- Balanced Diet: Basically, nutritional deficiencies can result in swollen lips. So, to prevent lips swelling, you should have a healthy and balanced diet high in vitamin C because vitamin C helps to keep the health of your skin tissues.
- Avoid Allergic Food Items: Lip swelling can occur thanks to allergies from various food items. This includes fish, lactose, eggs, oils, milk, wheat nuts, and more. You need to stay away from eating these food types.
If you want to find the tips which can help to cure other problems of your lips, please go to our main How To page. After reading “how to get rid of swollen lip fast and naturally” article, hope that it can help you find the best and the most suitable tip to get rid of your swollen lip easily and quickly. If you see knowledge on how to get rid of swollen lip informative and useful, please let us know by leaving us a comment or a message below.