Nowadays, a large number of people get the damaged spine. What is the main reason causing this problem? The answer is the wrong posture. In other words, when you do not sit or stand properly, you will damage or distort your spine. In addition, one of the main factors damaging your spine is slouching which is a bad pose. This pose is the result of a fashionable trend which the young are adopting or sitting so much in front of the television or the computer. As a result, you will get these problems:
- Uncontrollable movement of your arms and legs
- Impaired digestion
- Breath crippling
12 Best Ways To Straighten Spine Naturally At Home
“To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise.” – Gene Tunney.
1. Duck Feet
Duck feet are a problem which can affect both your posture and your spine. Therefore, when you improve this posture, your spine can be straightened.
The issue: weakness in your hip flexors as well as oblique muscles
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
How to do:
- Get to the top of the pushup position while resting your feet on a stability ball.
- Push your knees under the torso while you roll the ball toward your body with your feet without rounding your lower back.
- Roll back to the beginning position.
- Do this exercise 2 or 3 sets.
- Repeat from 6 to 12 times per day to get your expected result.
2. Pigeon Toes
Pigeon toes are the common problem which affects your body’s posture. It may cause some related problems like wrong spine form. Thus, those who want to know how to straighten spine should consult.
The issue: weak medius muscles and gluteus maximus muscles
How to do:
- Lie on a side of your body with your heels together along with your knees bent 90o.
- Keep your hip still.
- Raise your knees upward.
- Separate your knees as a clamshell.
- Keep this posture for 5 minutes.
- Let your knees down to the beginning position.
- Implement 2 or 3 sets.
- Do this exercise up to 12 times per day to get your expected result.
3. Elevated Shoulder
The issue: the weak muscles under your chest which run from the upper ribs to shoulder blades
How to do:
- In a chair, sit upright.
- Put the hands next to the hips.
- Place palms down on the chair.
- Keep your arms straight.
- Put down on the chair until your torso rises and your hips lift your seat off without moving your arms.
- Stay in this position for 5 seconds.
- Do from 2 to 3 sets.
- Repeat this exercise from 6 to 12 times a day to get your expected result.
The issue: the muscle which begins at the back of your neck to your upper back is shortened
How to do:
- Put your arm behind your back.
- Lean your head away from the elevated side till you feel the stretch in the upper trapezius.
- With your free hand, apply small pressure on your stretched muscle.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Do 3 sets.
- Repeat 3 times daily to get your expected result.
4. Rounded Shoulders
The issue: weakness in the lower and middle parts of your trapezius which is the large muscle spanning your back and your shoulder.
How to do:
- Lie down and keep your face down on the floor.
- Put your arm at a 90o angle in the high-five position.
- Pull your shoulders back as well as squeeze your shoulder blades together to raise your arms without changing the elbow angle.
- Hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat 2 or 3 sets.
- Perform this exercise up to 12 times per day to get your expected result.
Rounded shoulders are also one of the popular problems which affect your spine and back. This exercise will help you to improve your spine effectively.
5. Forward Head
This exercise will help you improve your neck and spine.
The issue: weak front neck muscles
How to do:
- Lie down with the face up on your floor
- Lift your head; therefore, it clears the floor
- Now raise your head
- Keep this position for 5 seconds
- Do 2 – 3 sets
- Repeat this exercise up to 12 times per day to get the best result
The issue: stiff muscles at the back of your neck
How to do:
- Move your head only
- Drop down your chin and toward your neck while you stretch the back of your neck
- Hold this position and count from 1 to 5
- Do 3 sets
- Perform this exercise up to 10 times a day to get the positive result
6. Hunched Back
If you want to get the healthy spine, you need to improve hunched back.
The issue: the weak muscles in your back
How to do:
- Lie face down with both arms at your sides.
- Let your palms down.
- Slightly lift your hands as well as your chest off the floor.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades while you still keep your chin down.
- Keep this position for 5 seconds.
- Do 2 or 3 sets.
- Repeat this exercise up to 12 times per day.
7. Sitting Posture For Office Chair
If you want to get healthy spine, you need to change your sitting posture. Follow these tips below to change it:
- Make sure your back is aligned against the back of the chair. Avoid leaning forward or slouching, particularly when you are tired of sitting in the office chair for a long time
- Make sure the office chair is designed ergonomically to support your back properly if you need to sit for a long time. And the chair has a custom fit.
- Be sure that your arms ought to be flexed at a 75o to 90o angle at the elbows when you sit on the office chair at your desk. If you are not in this case, your office chair needs adjusting accordingly.
- Keep your knees even with your hips slightly higher when you sit on the office chair
- Keep your feet flat on the floor. If you have trouble in touching your feet on the floor comfortably, just use a footrest with office chair
- Keep your shoulders straight when you sit on the office chair
- Do not sit on the office chair for a long time even this chair has good back support. Get up and walk around your office
8. Standing Posture
Changing your standing posture is a great tip to help straighten spine. What you need to do now is to follow these tips below:
- Do not stand with weight on your heels but stand with weight on the balls of your feet.
- Keep your feet slightly apart.
- Let your arms naturally hang down your body’s sides.
- Stay away from locking your knees.
- Tuck in your chin a little in order that you keep your head level.
- Be sure that your head is not pushed out forward.
- Stand straightly with shoulders upright.
- Change weight from one foot to other foot if you stand for a long time. Or you can rock from your heels to your toes.
- Stand against a wall with your bottom and shoulders touching the wall.
9. Walking Posture
One of the postures which affect your spine is walking posture. Thus, learning how to change your walking posture is very necessary. This is a good tip to straighten spine. Let’s follow these steps below:
- Keep the head up and then keep the eyes looking straight ahead.
- Besides, avoid pushing the head forward.
- Moreover, you should keep shoulders aligned properly with the rest of body.
10. Driving Posture
One of the best ways to straighten spine is changing your driving posture. Follow these steps below:
- Sit the back definitely against the seat for the proper back support.
- Your seat ought to be a suitable distance from steering wheel to the pedals so as to avoid reaching or leaning forward.
- The headrest had better support the middle of your head in order to keep it upright. Lean the headrest forward if it is possible so that you are sure that the head-to-headrest distance will be less than 4 inches.
11. Posture And Ergonomics While Carrying And Lifting
Here are some good tips to get the right posture while carrying or lifting something:
- Always bend at your knees, not your waist.
- Do not use the lower back for lifting but use the large stomach muscles or leg for lifting.
- Get a supportive belt in order to help to maintain good posture when lifting if necessary.
- When you carry what a large or heavy object, just keep it close to your chest.
- Switch your arm more often if you are carrying something with an arm.
- When you carry a purse or backpack, it needs keeping as light as possible. You also need to balance the weight on your two sides as much as possible. Or you can alternate from side to side.
- When you carry a backpack, avoid rounding your shoulders or leaning forward. If your backpack is too heavy, it’s time to consider using a rolling suitcase with wheels.
12. Sleeping Posture With Pillow And Mattresses
Another important posture which affects your spine is sleeping posture. Follow some simple steps below:
- A pretty steady mattress is normally the best for back support even though individual preference is also important.
- Sleeping on back or on the side seem to be more comfortable for your back than sleeping on stomach.
- Use a pillow in order to give your head and shoulders a proper alignment and support.
- Consider placing a rolled-up towel under your neck and a pillow under your knees to get better support for spine.
- If you are used to sleeping on the side, you can place a pretty plane pillow between your legs so that it will help to keep your spine straight and aligned.
After reading my article about how to straighten spine, I hope you can find the suitable way to straighten your spine up without using pills, drugs or medications. To get the best result, you ought to spend time on finding and reading other articles which are related to this topic. For example, you can read about the food which can help to maintain spine health and so on. If you think that the information in this article is helpful, please leave us a comment below. In addition, you can also apply other exercises, which can help you to maintain your overall health on our main How To page.