Alzheimer's disease is one of the common causes of dementia, including almost memory loss, and problems with thinking and language. Alzheimer's disease is very dangerous, especially for the old people, because it happens when the brain is damaged for any reason. However, we can completely prevent it from having a good lifestyle and a suitable diet. Our article on Effective Remedies today will show you some very easy but unexpected ways on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally that you can apply at home.
I. Background Knowledge Of Alzheimer's Disease
1. What Is Alzheimer's Disease?
Alzheimer's disease is named after the Doctor Alois Alzheimer, who first considered it as a physical disease which can affect people's brains. In the UK, there are more than 520,000 patients with Alzheimer's disease . It is caused by the loss of connections between nerve cells or even their death. While the proteins in their brain build structures which are called plaques and tangles, people who get Alzheimer's disease lack of some important chemicals which play the role of transmitting information in their brains. In this situation, the information will not be transmitted effectively, so the patients cannot receive, solve and remember them. It is said that “Alzheimer's disease is a progressive disease”. It means that more brain cells will be damaged over the time and the disease will become severe when the symptoms become more and more obvious.
2. What Are The Symptoms Of Alzheimer's Disease?
It is said that people with Alzheimer's disease often live for more eight to ten years only from the first day of realizing the symptoms. However, this disease happens differently to the certain person. Therefore, it is necessary to identify it as soon as possible to have suitable treatment. Here are some symptoms that you should keep in mind.
- The most common and obvious of Alzheimer's disease is memory loss or memory lapses. The people who have difficulties in recalling the life events in the past or learning new information may get Alzheimer's disease. This happens because of the early damage in the hippocampus – a part of your brain.
- Find it difficult to chose the right word in communication or follow a conversation
- Forget things in their houses or names of surrounding people
- Forget recent appointments, anniversaries, conversations or life events
- Lack of visuospatial skills. People with Alzheimer's disease will find difficult to see objects in the distance.
- Confuse or lose the memory of the day
- Difficult to make a decision, and concentrate on something in life or make plans and organize the tasks.
- Develop unusual characters such as agitation, repeating the same question, aggression, distrust in others, changes in sleeping habits, wandering, loss of inhibitions, social withdrawal or depression.
- Become less aware of their behaviors at the last stage. In this stage, some patients cannot eat, sleep or do anything without the help of another person.
3. What Are The Causes Of Alzheimer's Disease?
Here are some very common causes of Alzheimer's disease:
- The increase of age, especially the age of 65, is the biggest reason for Alzheimer's disease.
- Alzheimer's disease is also related to your family and genetics . It is more likely that you have the higher risk of getting Alzheimer's disease if your parents or siblings also do that. Many types of research had been conducted to prove that the mutations within three generations can significantly increase the risk factor for a person to inherit and develop Alzheimer's disease. However, you do not need to so worry about this, because it counts for no more than 5% of Alzheimer's disease only.
- Down syndrome can also promote the developing process of Alzheimer's disease because for people with Down syndrome, the signals of Alzheimer's disease seem to appear 10 or 20 years earlier than common people .
- Sex is also likely to contribute to the causes of Alzheimer's disease. It seems that women are at higher risk of getting this disease rather than men. To some extent, it is simply because of the longer life of women in comparison with men.
- Bad lifestyle contributes too much to Alzheimer's disease. They include lack of exercise, obesity, high blood pressure, smoking, and eating too little fruits and vegetables.
4. Who Has The Higher Risk Of Alzheimer's Disease?
- Almost all Alzheimer's disease's patients are more than 65 years old . However, people under this age still have the risk of getting this disease. It is said that, at the age of 65, the risk is double after 5 years. Furthermore, researchers had pointed out that “one in six people over 80 years old have dementia.”
- There is also the fact that the number of women who get this disease is twice as much as the number of men. Sometimes the reason is that women live longer than men on average or they lack hormone estrogen after the menopause.
- People with diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure and cholesterol, obesity, heart problems and depression have the higher risk of Alzheimer's disease. The living habits such as smoking or diet plan also contribute to worsening this disease. Therefore, it is necessary to live healthily from now on.
How To Prevent Alzheimer's Disease Naturally: 19 Unexpected Ways
II. Healthy Ways On How To Prevent Alzheimer's Disease
Keep reading the next part to know other ways on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease.
1. Protect Your Head
Remember that head injury can lead to Alzheimer's disease when you become older and older. These injuries are often the hits in sports activities and bicycle or motorbike accident. You should carefully protect your head during these activities by wearing proper helmets and safety equipment.
2. Do Exercise Regularly
The Alzheimer's Research & Prevention Foundation claimed that “regular physical exercise can reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer's disease by up to 50 percent”. Regular exercise can help on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally because it stimulates the brain's ability to remember the old events as well as create the new ones. You can start to practice yourself by walking or swimming and then gradually move to cardio exercise and strength training. You should do at least 150 minutes of exercise per week and combine with building muscle in order to maintain the health of your brain. 
3. Practice Your Memorization
Mental exercise can help to improve the cognitive brain function in daily activities. You can start practicing your memorization by learning something new such as a foreign language or how to play a musical instrument. You can also practice your memorization by putting things in special rhymes and patterns to connect them in your memory. Scientists pointed out that strategy games can provide a great mental workout and bring you the ability to form and retain cognitive associations. The games such as crossword puzzle, card, word and number games are good suggestions. Following the less traveled road or eating with the non-dominant hand are also quite popular tips on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally. You can regularly vary your habits to create new brain pathways and effectively prevent Alzheimer's disease. 
4. Sleep Well
There is nothing strange that people with Alzheimer's disease have insomnia or sleep problems. An increasing number of research have pointed out that sleep disorder is not only a symptom but a potential risk of Alzheimer's disease. Your usual poor sleep can slow your thinking, affect your mood and develop the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. You should set up a sleep schedule with 8 hours per night, go to bed and wake up at the certain time every day to reinforce your brain. Bedtime habits are also necessary. Your bed should not include electronic devices such as television and computer because they can increase the difficulties in falling asleep. Taking a shower and doing some light stretches are also advised to have a better sleep. If the above things become your living habits, you will sleep so well and be easier on how to prevent Alzheimer's naturally.
5. Reduce Stress
Chronic stress, as well as persistent stress, will put much pressure on your brain, damage the nerve cells and affect the key memory area. And as a result, it increases the risk of Alzheimer's disease. You can manage your stress by deep and abdominal breath, having daily relaxation activities, making fun a priority and keeping your sense of humor. This will help you to keep your stress level under control, and your mood will be much fresher.
6. Give Up Smoking
One study had pointed out that smokers who are over the age of 65 have almost 80% higher risk getting Alzheimer's disease than the ones who do not smoke as their habits. And, it is claimed that this is one of the most potential risk factors for Alzheimer's disease. Therefore, stop smoking to benefit your circulation and yourself on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally.
7. Pay Attention To Your Weight
Overweight is an extra risk factor for Alzheimer's disease and many types of dementia. Studies found that people who are overweight in their midlife have twice as much as the risk of having Alzheimer's disease when they become old and for the ones who are obese, this risk is three times in comparison the fit ones. So, in order to protect yourself from Alzheimer's disease, you should always consider your weight.
8. Regularly Check Your Blood Pressure And Cholesterol Levels
Both high blood pressure and cholesterol level can contribute to the list of risk factors for Alzheimer's disease. If you can do this, not only your brain and heart will be better, but you can help your body on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally.
9. Do Jobs That Act Against Alzheimer's Disease
Scientists in Wisconsin Alzheimer's Institute and Wisconsin Alzheimer's Disease Research Center had done one research on 284 people at the middle age and the ones who are said to have the high risk of Alzheimer's disease. They pointed out that the people who work closely with people in complicated work situation were able to overcome brain damage better than those who work in the more isolated environment. Teacher and doctor are overwhelming examples; they seem to have better ability to maintain the brain’s cognitive function. From this example, we should rethink the connection between social engagement and Alzheimer's disease. However, if you have to work in the isolated environment and you can do nothing to change this, you can try some methods to make you more social after work or on the day off to active yourself.  
10. Keep Away From Prescription And Over The Counter Drug
Drug for Alzheimer's disease nowadays may contain sleep, allergies meds, and substances which have anticholinergic properties such as diphenhydramine, dimenhydrinate, a compound of ibuprofen and diphenhydramine citrate and doxylamine. These substances can lower the metabolism of your brain and bring about the higher rates of the brain atrophy. Drinking too many drugs of this type can lead to worse memory problems. So, if it is really essential for you to take this drug, you should carefully consult your doctor in advance. 
III. How To Prevent Alzheimer's Disease With Foods
Keep reading the next part to know other ways on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease.
1. Consume More Fruits And Vegetables
A study conducted in 1836 old people in America and Japan had proved that eating more fruits and vegetables will help to decrease the risk of Alzheimer's disease. Or, in another word, it brings you a healthier and happier life in the long run.
2. Eat Berries
Berries are demonstrated to be rich in biologically active components, including anthocyanosides. This substance is famous for its capacity of fighting memory impairment, which caused by the free radicals and beta-amyloid plaques in your brain. You should eat berries every day for it to be deeply and easily absorbed into your body.
3. Consider More Omega-3 Fatty Acids In Your Daily Diet
According to the Framingham study, people who have the high level of DHA have lower risk factors for getting Alzheimer's disease. This DHA is often found in salmon, tuna, and mackerel. You should add more of these ingredients to your daily meals to help your body on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease with food.
4. Reduce The Amount Of Sugar
Food which is rich in sugar and refined carbs such as white rice and pasta are said to have the ability to develop Alzheimer's disease because it can cause dramatic spikes in blood sugar and then affect your brain. Sugar is also hidden in many other types of food such as cereal and bread. You should be aware of, and it is essential to keep away from this type of food if you want to prevent Alzheimer's disease.
5. Get Rid Of Trans Fats
Trans-fat can cause inflammation and develop free radicals which can damage your memory and be so dangerous to your brain. You can easily keep away from trans fats if you do not consume fast food, packaged a fried food.
6. Go On A Mediterranean Diet
Mediterranean diet means a diet plan with plenty of vegetables, beans, fish, whole grains and olive oil. Many studies were conducted, and the results were so surprising. It proved that people who have a Mediterranean diet have the significantly lower level of getting Alzheimer's disease. Therefore, consider a Mediterranean diet in order to effectively prevent Alzheimer's disease. 
7. Eat Germinated Brown Rice
Cleaned and germinated brown rice can prevent the cells from amyloid beta plaque and effectively reduce the oxidative damage to your brain. It is also proved to help ameliorate depression and prevent the effects of free radical. When you consume germinated brown rice, they will deeply absorb into your body and produce nutrients to benefit your brain. Moreover, it is very easy to find this type of food. You can eat it every day to help on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally.
8. Consider Organic and Virgin Coconut Oil In Your Meal
Organic and virgin coconut oil can provide ketones for your brain. This substance will act like glucose as the brain fuel. Some patients with Alzheimer's disease have seen many significant improvements when they consume organic coconut oil.
9. Minimize The Amount Of Alcohol You Drink
Scientists consider alcohol a toxin which damages the brain cells. It is pointed out that the frontal lobes of people who consume too much alcohol appear to be particularly susceptible to damage. Alcohol can reduce the neuron density, and volume shrinkage. Therefore, it is necessary to release the amount of alcohol on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease with food.
Above are some useful ways on how to prevent Alzheimer's disease naturally with food that you really should pay attention to. If you have any other ways, you can leave your comment in this article. You can also visit our Prevention to learn more effective ways to prevent some common diseases.