Table of Contents
Depression causes you to feel numb and a lack of motivation, interfering with functioning due to the physical and psychological effects. One theory is that there is an imbalance in brain chemicals, whilst other factors like vitamin B deficiency, stress and anxiety can cause or exacerbate depression. People experiencing depression commonly experience symptoms like a deep sense of loss-mental unrest, a feel of dejection, disturbed sleep, loss of appetite, overwhelming sadness, etc. In this article, you will know top 11 effective home remedies for depression. Keep reading this writing to know more!
11 Most Effective Home Remedies For Depression That Work 100% Naturally
Here are 11 home remedies that can alleviate the symptoms of depression:
1. St. John’s Wort
St. John’s wort has chemical constituents like hypericin along with hyperforin that can act as an antidepressant and thereby blocking the reabsorption of the serotonin as well as serotonin receptors.
- 2 to 4 teaspoons of St. John’s wort (dried)
- 2 glass of hot water
- Pour the dried St. John’s wort to the hot water and stir well to make a mixture
- You steep it for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- You strain the water and sip it as an herbal tea.
- Consume this herbal tea for about 2 or 3 times every day.
- Apply this remedy regularly to assist you in lifting the mood.
In another way, you may consume about 300 milligrams of St. John’s wort supplement for thrice per day. You should get some advice of your doctor before applying the St. John’s wort on a regular basis.
The strong aromatic smell in lavender oil can act very effectively on senses. This oil will help you to soothe and relax your mind. Additionally, it also releases anxiety and tension, which will usually end up with depression. It also contains some various medicinal properties that may help you relieve nervousness, inflammation, pain, insomnia, and dementia.
Remedy 1: Lavender oil
- Lavender oil – A few drops
- Water – 1 cup
- Put the lavender oil to the water and stir them well.
- Soak a clean cloth or a cotton ball in this cup.
- Use this cloth/ball to massage your body for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Do this process again for about two to three times daily to get an easy relief from postpartum depression.
Remedy 2: Lavender leaves
- Lavender leaves – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Water – 1 cup
- Put the water on the flame and boil it.
- After it boils, you put the lavender leaves in it.
- Let it steep for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it when it is still warm.
- Consume it for about two to three times a day.
3. Drink Chamomile Tea
Depression often relates to the problems of your sleep. It is same as when you may not get out of the bed during your day; however, you do not fall asleep at night. You should drink this tea (1 cup) before the bed time with a little milk or honey to help you in relaxing.
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile
- Milk or honey (optional)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Put the dried chamomile into this water.
- Let it aside for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and combine this water with the honey or milk.
- Sip this tea for about 30 minutes before the bedtime.
4. Fish Oil
People who are suffering from depression are usually low in omega-3 fatty acids, which are the main ingredients for the functioning of the brain while fish oil is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- You include a fish oil supplement on a regular basis to get rid of depression. You may purchase the fish oil supplements in any health food store, drug store, grocery store, or online store. You’d better see your doctor to get the proper dosages.
- You may eat the cold-water fishes like sardines, salmon, and anchovies that are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Besides, soy products along with flaxseed are also high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogen commonly used to relieve anxiety and depression. The extract of this plant is also beneficial in reducing the degeneration of the brain and thereby easing the possibility of Alzheimer or other mental disorders.
- Ashwagandha powder – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1 glass
- Mix the ashwagandha powder well with the water.
- Drink this solution for about one to two times a day to heal depression.
6. Ginkgo Biloba
The leaves of ginkgo Biloba are used for treating many disorders including depression. Additionally, ginkgo Biloba may extract lipophilic which have many antistress and antidepressant effects.
Besides, ginkgo Biloba, when combined with venlafaxine (antidepressant drug) will help to decrease the damage of stress-induced brain that is known as a contributing factor for depression.
You can include this herb in capsules, tablets, or a beverage form. It is advised to take about 40 to 80 mg of ginkgo Biloba for three times every day to decrease the symptoms related to depression. You need to see your doctor to get the dosage and frequency exactly.
Rosemary can help you to calm your nerves and thereby keeping this problem at bay. To make use of rosemary for the treatment of depression, you can follow two methods below:
- Dried rosemary – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Put the dried rosemary herb to the boiling water.
- Let the mixture steep for about 11 to 13 minutes to get a tea.
- Strain the water and drink it.
- Repeat this process for about twice or thrice per day or whenever you need.
- Rosemary – A few leaves
- Water – 1 cup
- Crush the rosemary leaves until they form a powder.
- Consume it at least twice a day along with water to assist in treating depression.
- Another option, you may also take some drops of rosemary oil and then massage the body for about 12 to 15 minutes daily to keep the depression symptoms at bay.
Saffron is rich in B vitamins along with carotenoids, which may assist you in raising the serotonin levels & other chemicals in the brain.
- 15 milligrams of saffron extract (dried)
- You may simply consume the dried saffron extract for about twice a day.
- You should apply it every day to keep this disease at bay.
- Or you may also include saffron in cooking, smoothies, or milkshakes form.
Many powerful compounds in asparagus may assist you in lifting the spirits and fighting the various symptoms of this disease.
Asparagus is also rich in folate along with vitamin E, which may help in boosting up the functioning of the brain and in getting a good mood. Additionally, it has the tryptophan, which is responsible for producing the serotonin in the brain. Hence, it will stabilize your moods.
- Asparagus root powder – ½ to 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Mix the asparagus root powder well with the water.
- Apply this mixture every day like a depression beater.
In order to eliminate the symptoms of this problem, you may also include asparagus in grilled, fresh, or steamed form for about 3 or 4 times a week.
10. Green Tea
People suffering from depression gradually lose enthusiasm and energy while green tea has the ability to give enthusiasm and energy. L- Theanine is the main ingredient of green tea, which will be responsible for alleviating depression. Green tea acts like a hindrance between your blood and brain. Hence, it is recommended that consuming green tea for 2 times per day will assist you in reducing stress and depression.
- Green tea – 1 bag
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Dip the green tea bag to the boiling water.
- Let the bag sit for several minutes.
- Sip this green tea as much as you may.
- Consume this tea for 3 or 4 times per day till you may get rid of depression.
11. Diet Plan
Diet may also help you in treating depression soon. Hence, let having a good diet that includes the things below.
- You should eat omega-3 fatty acids rich foods such as albacore tuna, salmon, and herring to get a relief from depression.
- You should consume vitamin C rich foods such as citrus fruits, tomatoes or dark leafy greens, bell peppers, etc because vitamin C may help to keep the symptoms of this disease at bay.
- Keep drinking enough water and consuming many fresh fruits along with vegetables in the diet, which may provide your body with essential vitamins along with minerals for the functionality.
- Remember to consume foods that are rich in tryptophan. This may help to release serotonin (assist in enhancing your mood) such as lean turkey, milk or herring, etc.
- You should limit the intake of sugar as sugar will make this condition worse if you consume too much it.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 11 natural effective home remedies for depression and anxiety, I hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of depression and anxiety quickly and easily. If you have any question, or you know other quick natural home remedies for depression, please leave them below.
- John's Wort and Depression: In Depth
- Fish oil supplements: Can they treat depression?
- Herbal medicines in the treatment of depression: a systematic review
- Effects of zinc supplementation on efficacy of antidepressant therapy, inflammatory cytokines, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor in patients with major depression
- Herbs and Supplements for Depression