Acid reflux happens when the acids in the stomach bubble up to your throat and esophagus. This is one of the most common diseases in the US and causes many health problems to people in the modern life. Many people try their best to take medicines as much as possible to get rid of acid reflux. However, using medicine is sometimes not effective and even brings about side effects rather than treatment. So, they try another method – applying home remedies from natural ingredients. Please follow the article in Effective Remedies to know what people nowadays do to treat acid reflux and discover how to prevent acid reflux from recurrence with diet and natural remedies without medication. However, firstly, let have a look at the symptoms and causes of acid reflux.
- Unexpected home remedies for acid reflux relief in stomach
- Foods that cause acid reflux symptoms
- Natural home remedies for heartburn relief
- Natural home remedies for gastritis pain in adults
- Natural home remedies for acidity problem in children & adults
How To Prevent Acid Reflux From Recurrence With Diet Without Medication
I. Things You Have To Know
1. What Are The Symptoms Of Acid Reflux?
When you got acid reflux, these following symptoms will be obvious. Therefore, read carefully and try your best to remember them so that you can realize this disease at the beginning.
- If you have a mouth full of saliva after the meal or after you eat the snack, you may have trouble with acid reflux.
- If you get pneumonia more than once, acid reflux may be the cause. It is because when the acids escape your stomach, they can both irritate your throat and enter your lungs. If this situation happens frequently, you can have a high risk of ending up with nasty pneumonia.
- People with acid reflux often have the bitter taste. The reason is that the stomach acids leave a sour or bitter taste in the throat back when they move to the esophagus.
- It is more serious if you suffer from asthma because of acid reflux. You can have trouble breathing, especially at night because, when you lie down, the acids in the esophagus can cause wheezing. Researchers have pointed out that “This acid can also go into airways and cause direct irritation, so you could be waking up choking and coughing”.
- Because acid reflux can narrow the cavity of your throat so you will find it difficult to swallow. In this case, the food you eat will be considered as a claw that rakes your throat so hard.
2. What Causes Acid Reflux?
There are some common factors that cause acid reflux:
- The most popular cause is stomach abnormality, which is also called hiatal hernia. This disease can happen to people of all ages. It is when the upper part of the stomach riches the diaphragm. In this case, the acids, which will arrive in the esophagus, can cause acid reflux.
- People who are pregnant may have a higher risk of overcoming acid reflux. The high level of hormones and pressure from the fetus will make your reflux get worse, especially in the third trimester. However, do not worry too much because this disease will go away after giving birth.
- Smoking will make the acid reflux more serious because it damages the mucus membranes and increases the acid secretion. Furthermore, if you smoke too much the salivation will decrease and the acid's effect will increase and as a result, acid reflux is unavoidable.
- If you often have large meals with the food such as tomatoes, garlic, chocolate, onions, fatty food and you lie down right after eating, it will increase the risk of being overweight or obese and acid reflux as well.
II. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally From Recurrence Without Medication
1. Have Smaller Meals And Lose Weight
As said above, overweight or obesity is one of the most popular causes of acid reflux. The more the fat in your stomach is the higher gastric juice level in your esophagus . Dr. Vaezi advised, “Lose weight if you are overweight, and don't gain weight if you're not”.
One another important thing is to avoid food which causes reflux such as fatty food, mint, coffee and carbonated beverage and the things named above.
2. Do Not Lie Down Right After Having Meal
Gravity is the most important organ in preventing acid reflux from developing. If you stretch out right after the meal, the gravity in your body will become unequal and as a result acid reflux will run into your esophagus. Therefore, it is said that you should lie down after at least 3 hours.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
3. Give Up Smoking And Alcohol
Some researchers had pointed out that nicotine in tobacco can reduce the ability of saliva in clearing acid out of your esophagus.
Together with smoking, alcohol can also spasm your esophagus muscles and cause acid reflux. So, quit smoking and keep away from alcohol to get rid of acid reflux.
4. Reduce High-Sugar Impact Food
Scientists claimed that eliminating the impact of high-sugar food can relieve acid reflux. You should build a suitable diet with a low amount of sugar to help yourself on how to prevent acid reflux.
5. How To Prevent Acid Reflux – Reduce Stress
We all know that stress anxiety, and worry play a great role in making acid reflux more serious. Researchers found down that “people who experienced major stress had significantly increased blood pressure, pulse rate, and GERD symptoms.” These signals can be treated by deep breathing, yoga, regular jogging or walking to around with your pet combining with enjoying the fresh air.
6. How To Prevent Acid Reflux – Have Great Sleep
A bad night sleep can lead to more serious acid reflux in the next day and then it, in turn, affects your sleep quality. You should turn off all electronic devices and take a bath with warm water about 1 hour before bed. A cup of chamomile tea is also good for your health. It will help you to have deeper and more consistent sleep.
7. How To Prevent Acid Reflux – Tilt-Up
It is advised to put some wood blocks under your bed in order to raise your head about 6 inches. Raising your pillow is also a thing that you should do on how to prevent acid reflux.
8. Drink Warm Water In The Morning
In order to prevent acid reflux, you should begin your day with a cup of warm water and add to this some fresh lemon juice. Rebekah Fedrowitz said, “It is a great digestive aid and is safe for all users”. Try to drink this water 15 or 20 minutes before you have breakfast so as to balance the acid level in your body naturally.
9. Sleep On Your Left Side
If you sleep on your back or right side, more pressure will be put on your body and it will increase the acid reflux symptoms. Therefore, sleep on your left to release the acid reflux.
III. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Diet Plan
Too much or too little acid in your stomach may be the reason for acid reflux. Therefore, diet plan plays an important role in how to prevent acid reflux naturally at home. Here are some foods that can assist you to keep away from acid reflux symptoms.
We all know that vegetable contains a small amount of fat and sugar so it can release the stomach acid and help you to prevent acid reflux. The foods such as green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, cucumber, and broccoli are good choices.
Oatmeal is a great source of fiber and is the one that your body really needs for breakfast. It is pointed out that oatmeal can absorb the acid in your stomach and reduce acid reflux risks. You can also consume more whole-grain bread or whole-grain rice, instead.
Ginger is considered a natural and powerful treatment for acid reflux and heartburn. You can slide the ginger into small pieces and add to water and enjoy the ginger tea for acid reflux treatment.
4. Lean Meat
Lean meat includes chicken, turkey, seafood, and fish. These are low in fat so it can help on how to prevent acid reflux naturally. You can bake, boil, grill or poach them for it to be tasty.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a fermented product and can balance the acid in your stomach. So, add apple cider vinegar to your diet to help to prevent your acid reflux condition.
6. Probiotic Foods
People with acid reflux are advised to eat more probiotic foods such as veggies and yogurt.
7. Healthy Fats
Healthy fats from coconut oil, avocado, nuts, and chia are good for people who have trouble with acid reflux. Therefore, you can use these fats instead of others.
IV. How To Prevent Acid Reflux From Recurrence With Natural Remedies
1. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very effective in treating acid reflux because it will help to improve your digestion and balance the production of acid in your stomach . The study pointed out that apple cider vinegar is not only good for heartburn preventing but also consistent and reputable in treating acid reflux. Not only good at fighting bacteria and foreign bodies, but it is helpful to your diabetes as well as managing blood sugar as well.
Remedy 1: Apple Cider Vinegar Tea
- Prepare a cup of warm water
- Add 2 teaspoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to this cup
- Drink this water in 20 – 3 minutes before having meal
- Repeat this every day in a few months to prevent acid reflux
Remedy 2: Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey Tea
- Prepare a cup of warm water
- Add to this a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. You should choose the one which is organic, non-pasteurized to make sure that you get all of the benefits.
- Add some honey to make this easier to drink
- Enjoy this tea every day, right before or after the meal in order that the apple cider vinegar is in your stomach when the food comes so that it can help to promote the digestion process.
View more: Beauty and health benefits of honey – its uses and side-effects
Remedy 3: Apple Cider Vinegar And Lemon Juice
Things you need:
- A few drops of organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Add apple cider vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice to 1 cup of water
- Stir the water until they are well mixture
- Consume the above tea
2. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Baking Soda
Baking soda which is sometimes considered as sodium bicarbonate is a natural antacid which can quickly release the heartburn. Here are the directions on how to use baking soda that you can follow:
Remedy 1: Baking Soda Tea
- Prepare a cup of water
- Add 1/2 of a teaspoon of baking soda to this cup
- Drink this water quickly when you are pain for instant relief
Remedy 2: Baking Soda And Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to a cup of water and stir until the baking soda is completely dissolved
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix them well
- Drink this tea 3 times per day before meal in less than 5 days
Note: If your acid reflux is serious, you can increase the amount of baking soda up to 2 tablespoons to completely treat this disease.
3. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Ginger Tea
Ginger is an effective treatment for many digestive diseases such as gas, bloating as well as acid reflux. Drink ginger tea can help to release the pain of heartburn and reduce acid reflux symptoms. Follow our directions below to have the best cup of ginger tea for acid reflux treatment.
Remedy 1: Ginger Root Tea
- Separate 1 inch of ginger root
- Cut this ginger piece into smaller ones. Try to cut them as small as possible because the smaller they are, the greater they infuse into the water
- Place all of the cut ginger in a cup
- Pour boiling water into this cup
- Cover the cup with a flat tool for the ginger to deeply steep into the water in 10 minutes
- Cool and then enjoy the self-made ginger tea
Remedy 2: Ginger And Lemon Juice
- Peel one inch of ginger root
- Mash it into juice
- Add some drops of lemon juice and mix them well
- Stir them until they are well mix
- Enjoy this type of ginger tea every day to get rid of acid reflux
Remedy 3: Ginger Candy
- Prepare a mince of ginger root and peel them after washing carefully
- Prepare a frying pan and add honey, 1/2 teaspoon of butter, cinnamon and ginger to it
- Mix well all of the ingredients under the low heat
- Place this pan on the stove for about 10 minutes
- Take out of the stove, cool it and let them turn into chunks
- Break the chunks and enjoy it gradually
- For the best result, you should eat this candy before meals.
Remedy 4: How To Prevent Acid Reflux With Spicy Ginger Tea
- Firstly, you have to boil the water
- Add 3 teaspoons of grated ginger, 3 strips of orange peel, 4 pods of cardamom and 4 cloves
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 – 13 minutes
- Add 4 teaspoons of Assam tea leaves
- Simmer for more than 3 minutes
- Turn off the heat and let them steep in 5 – 7 minutes
- Add brown sugar and stir it
- Drink this tea to reduce the effect of acid reflux
Remedy 5: Ginger Ale
- Prepare 3 cups of water and boil it
- Add 2 tablespoons of peeled and minced ginger, 1/2 cup of organic sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and stir them well
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 – 7 minutes in order that the sugar can be dissolved
- Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1/2 cup of ginger bug and stir them well
- Place them in the mason jar twist the lid tightly
- Let them stay here in 2 – 3 days
- Keep this mixture in the refrigerator through the night
- Open the jar carefully and check the ginger smell, yeast, fermentation and fizzy (it should be carbonated because it is put under too much pressure)
- Pour it into another fresh mason jar and refrigerate it
- Drink this ale regularly to keep away from acid reflux.
Get more: Health benefits of DIY ginger tea you should know
4. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Persimmon Tea
Permission tea, which is sometimes called permission punch, has antimicrobial properties, vitamin A, C and ten types of minerals. The tea made of persimmon and ginger can bring many health benefits including diminishing flatulence and release the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Boil 2 quarts of water
- Slice ginger root
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced ginger root and 3 cinnamon sticks to the boiled water
- Reduce the heat and let them steep in 30 minutes
- Add 1/2 cup of honey and 1 cup of dried persimmon
- Stir them well and refrigerate for a few minutes
- Enjoy this persimmon tea to cure your acid reflux
5. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Banana
Regular usage of banana can bring about both health and beauty benefits. It is considered as a natural antacid which can help to reduce the acid in your stomach Moreover, it contains a large amount of potassium to help promote the digesting process. The fiber in bananas can also work for reducing acid reflux and releasing the toxin in the body. Furthermore, the appearance of the substances such as minerals, vitamins, and chemical can promote the production of mucus, strengthen the esophagus as well as suppress the acid secretion in your stomach.
Remedy 1: Banana And Avocado Juice
- Blend 3 or 4 bananas and 1/2 piece of skin removed avocado
- Mix the above-blended ingredients with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1.5 cups of almond milk, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste, 1 tablespoon of bee pollen and ice cubes
- Juice the above mixture in 3 minutes with high speed
- Get it out of the blender and enjoy it
- You should apply this remedy at least once a week to well treat the acid reflux disease.
Remedy 2: Banana And Strawberry Juice
- Prepare 1/2 or 1 banana
- 1 cup of strawberry
- 1/2 cup of mango juice
- 1/4 cup of fresh yogurt
- Mix the above ingredients together and juice in a high-speed blender for a few minutes
- Remember to juice until they are a smooth paste
- You can enjoy this smoothie directly or add some ice for it to be more delicious.
Remedy 3: How To Prevent Acid Reflux with Banana And Milk
When being combined with milk (or soy milk), the banana can present all of its antacid properties, which can help you to release the acid secretion.
- Take 1 or 2 bananas and cut them into pieces
- Add a suitable amount of milk (soy milk)
- Blend them at high speed in a few minutes
- Add a little honey
- Top up this milk with some banana pieces and then enjoy it
- You should drink this juice regularly to have the best result.
6. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a type of grain food which is often used to neutralize the stomach's acid level as well as release the pain of acid reflux symptoms. Furthermore, it can reduce the acid secretion and hunger as well as absorb the acidity from the food to prevent acid reflux. It is free of fat but rich in thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, riboflavin, and fiber so that it is widely used in many aspects. According to the research noted on Live Strong site, the fiber intake helps to reduce the risk of acid reflux . Here are some remedies for using oatmeal on how to prevent acid reflux naturally without medication.
Remedy 1: Oatmeal Cookies
- Blend 3 ripe bananas until they are smooth
- Roast 1/4 cup of sesame seeds on the stove until they are golden enough
- Combine sesame seeds with the above banana juice, 2 whole eggs, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Then, add to the above mixture 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of instant rolled oats, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Spoon small balls on a cookie sheet, there should be 2 inches between each ball
- Spread raisins on each cookie
- Bake at 3500F in about 10 or 15 minutes for them to be golden enough
- Cool the cookies and enjoy them
Note: It is better to use the cookies as desserts after you have dinner to reduce the acid level in your body.
Remedy 2: How To Prevent Acid Reflux with Oatmeal And Walnuts
- Boil 1 cup of oatmeal in 5 minutes
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 or 1/2 cup of walnuts
- Cover and put this mixture in the refrigerator through the night
- In the next morning, add milk and berries to this mixture and enjoy it.
Remedy 3: Oatmeal And Milk
- Toast oatmeal under medium heat in 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat when the oatmeal is golden brown and smells like cooked popcorn
- Add 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of milk and 1.5 teaspoons of light brown sugar and a pinch of salt
- Bake at medium heat for 5 or 7 minutes
- When it is well cooked, add 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter
- Use this food as breakfast to keep away from acid reflux.
7. How To Prevent Acid Reflux Naturally With Lemon
It is useful to use lemon juice if you get trouble with acid reflux. Lemon contains citric acid and potassium, which can become alkaline to help neutralize the acidity in your stomach. Besides, the appearance of vitamin A and C, protein and fiber can reduce the inflammation and pain of the chest an esophagus and balance the pH level in your digestive system. Lemon is also considered as a natural antibacterial to kill the germs which cause digestive diseases. For all of the above reasons, many people use lemon to treat their acid reflux. Here are some suggestions for you:
Remedy 1: Lemon And Baking Soda
Things you need:
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- Stir baking soda with lemon juice and warm water
- Drink this tea whenever you feel pain because of acid reflux
Remedy 2: Lemon And Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can prevent the productions of hydrochloric acid in your stomach. Therefore, when being combined with lemon, it will be a wonderful cure for acid reflux treatment.
- Put 3-inch piece of freshly extracted aloe vera gel into a blender
- Add juice of 1 lemon and 8 ounces of coconut water
- Blend them well and pour the juice into a cup
- Add sugar and mix them well (remember that the amount of sugar should be suitable for your taste)
- Consume the above mixture whenever you feel pain.
Remedy 3: How To Prevent Acid Reflux With Lemon And Pink Salt
- Boil 4 ounces of water
- After the water has boiled, turn off the heat and let it cool in 5 minutes
- Add lemon juice (of 1 lemon only) and a pinch of pink salt
- Stir them well and drink it
Note: You should apply this remedy every morning to have the best result because pink salt will control the production of hydrochloric acid as well as release the acid reflux.
Tips & Precautions
- Being very good at releasing heartburn but baking soda is not suitable for people who have high blood pressure.
- Banana also has proteins like latex, so it may cause allergies to some people so you should consult the doctor if you see any symptoms of this.
- When using oatmeal on how to prevent acid reflux at home without medication, you can add some sugar or cinnamon to flavor the oatmeal, or apple, blackberries, and banana to increase the nutrients in oatmeal.
Above are some useful tips on how to prevent acid reflux naturally at home. If you have any comment, you can leave in this article. You can also visit our Prevention page to discover more effective remedies that you can try at home.