Knee pain is one of the popular health conditions which can happen with not only older people but also young people including children. And this pain often takes place because of the wear and tear of knee joints. The severity of knee pain may vary from minor to severe. Now it’s time not to let the knee pain prevent you from doing what you like. You can cure knee pain effectively and quickly by applying one of these easy and cheap treatments at home. In this article, there are a variety of applications, which you should choose depending on your good results.
- Top 20 home treatments for trigger finger pain
- Top 11 science-based home cures for tendonitis
- Top 11 proven home remedies for fibromyalgia symptoms
10 Best Home Remedies For Knee Pain And Swelling Symptoms
The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
1. Cold Compress
The cold compress is an effective way to treat knee pain but a study showed both hot and cold compresses equally good, depending on the preference of the patient. The cold from this compress can constrict your blood vessels and decreasing blood flow to your affected area. Therefore, it can help to reduce swelling and give you relief from knee pain.
- Take a handful of ice cubes.
- Use a thin towel to wrap the ice cubes.
- Apply to your affected area.
- Leave it on for about less than 20 minutes.
- Remove the towel.
- Do this remedy two or three times per day.
- Repeat every day until the pain is gone away.
You can also apply a bag of frozen peas instead of the cold compress. Or you can apply hot and cold compresses to treat knee pain at home.
Ginger can help to relieve your knee pain caused by injury, arthritis, muscle strain or knee osteoarthritis. It possesses anti-inflammatory properties which can help to soothe the pain and decrease swelling on your knee.
- Crush a fresh ginger root into small pieces.
- Add them to a cup of water.
- Boil it for about 10 minutes and strain the liquid.
- Add a little lemon juice and honey to this tea.
- Drink up to three cups of this tea.
- Repeat every day until all the symptoms of knee pain are disappeared.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Whether it is applied topically or consumed, apple cider vinegar helps to combat knee joint pain. More importantly, it has acetic acid that has a general anti-inflammatory activity, which help decrease the swelling and pain.
- Pour two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into two cups of water.
- Mix well together.
- Sip this solution throughout the day.
- Drink this several times per day daily until your knee recovers completely.
- Pour hot water into a bathtub
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Soak your affected knee into the water for about half an hour.
- Do this method only once per day.
- Repeat every day until the pain is gone away.
Turmeric has a chemical called curcumin that contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties can help you reduce the pain and inflammation . According to the report of NCCAM, turmeric can slow the development of rheumatoid arthritis which is one of the main reasons for knee pain.
- Pour a half teaspoon of turmeric into a cup of water.
- Add a half teaspoon of ginger and boil it in 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add a little honey to make it tastier.
- Drink this solution twice per day for quick results.
Note: If you are taking the blood-thinning medicine, you should not follow this remedy.
Alternatively, consuming from 250 to 500 mg turmeric capsules up to thrice per day daily is very necessary to lower the pain.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon mucilage is beneficial for reducing inflammation, swelling, and pain that accompany knee pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cut a lemon into two halves and squeeze the juice.
- Dilute with a glass of warm water.
- Drink this juice in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Do this remedy daily until your pain is gone.
6. Mustard Oil
Applying mustard oil topically can help relieve inflammation and can also specify with nerve-related pain as well as joint pain in the affected knee . It also helps to improve the blood circulation.
- Take two tablespoons of mustard oil and heat it.
- Put a garlic clove into it and fry until the garlic clove turns brown.
- Let the oil cool down and strain it.
- Massage your painful knee with this warm oil in circular motions.
- Use plastic wrap to cover your knee and apply the heat for a few minutes by using a warm towel.
- Do this process twice per day.
- Repeat every day in at least one week
7. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has magnesium sulfate which can provide relief from the painful knee. Magnesium may work as a natural relaxant which can help to remove the excess fluid from the tissues and then reduce inflammation, pain and swelling.
- Prepare a hot bath.
- Add a half cup of Epsom salt to this.
- Stir it well.
- Soak your painful knee in warm solution for about 15 minutes.
- Do this process a few times per week till you feel better.
Note: If you are suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes or heart problems, avoid using this remedy.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds can decrease knee pain because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties [14’]. Its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties work wonders in treating the inflammation and pain linked to knee joint pain.
- Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds into water.
- Leave it on overnight and in the morning, remove the water.
- Chew the seeds.
- Do this remedy once a day daily in one or two weeks to have a better result.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds.
- Roast and grind them.
- Put them in a jar.
- Take two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds powder and add enough amount of water.
- Mix them well to get a thick paste
- Apply the paste to your painful knee
- Wash your knee off with warm water after 30 minutes.
- Do this method twice per day.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil comes with anti-inflammatory and analgesic abilities, all of which can help reduce the pain and inflammation related to knee joint pain when applied topically.
- Take a half cup of coconut oil.
- Heat this oil until it melts.
- Apply this warm oil to your affected knee.
- Massage your knee gently.
- Do this remedy whenever you feel pain to get relief.
10. Cayenne Pepper With Olive Oil
Cayenne pepper has capsaicin that can work as a pain reliever. That’s why it can help to produce the warm sensation while reducing the pain in your affected knee. The active constituents of olive oil consist of biologically active polyphenols such as hydroxytyrosol, tyrosol, oleuropein, and oleocanthal. All these compounds embrace powerful anti-inflammatory activities that work wonderfully in fighting knee joint pain.
- Take 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder.
- Add a half cup of olive oil to this powder. You should warm olive oil before adding
- Mix well together.
- Apply this mixture to your knee which is painful
- Follow this direction twice a day.
- Repeat every day in a week until you notice the positive result.
- Try to lose extra weight.
- Wear the suitable kind of sandals or shoes.
- Stay away from wearing high-heeled shoes.
- Stay away from “knee-busting” activities.
- Consume omega-3 and magnesium supplements regularly.
- Go for a walk for about 15 minutes per day daily.
- Take exercises under the direction of an expert.
- Do not smoke or quit smoking as soon as possible if you smoke every day.
- Drink more water to keep yourself hydrated as well as soften cartilage.
- Keep your knee in high position so that it can help you to decrease the pain and swelling.
- Go to the doctor and have a medical checkup.
- Have a rest or take a break when you are participating in any activities.
- Avoid high-impact activities such as running or jumping.
- Use pain reliever according to the doctor’s advice.
- Eat more fresh fruits such as papaya, kiwi, grapefruit, mango, and so on.
- Eat more vegetables such as sprouts, cauliflower, Brussels, and so on.
- Consume more foods which contain calcium such as meat, milk, eggs, and so on
- Drink tart cherry juice regularly.
If you want to know more about natural home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 10 natural and effective home remedies for knee pain & swelling relief, I hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your pain in knee easily and quickly. However, the article is only for informational purposes; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any of these home remedies for knee pain. If you have any questions, or you know other at home remedies for knee pain, please leave them below.