Are you looking for the natural home remedies for baby cough? A cough is an illness caused due to a virus. Also, changing weather can trigger a cough, fever, and runny nose in your baby. Every year, hundreds of babies suffer from a cough because their immune system is weak. Babies pick up the various viruses causing infection via contact with contaminated surfaces or air or an infected person. For parents and caretakers, dealing with a sick baby may be not easy. You can opt for simple home remedies to relieve a baby cough for mild cases. Seek your doctor’s help for serious cases. In today’s article, Effective Remedies has collected the best home remedies for baby cough and cold, fever, runny nose at night that work naturally. Before discovering these natural home remedies, take a detailed look at its types and symptoms.
- Best treatments for common cold in babies & adults
- Best home remedies for cough relief in adults that work naturally
- Easy ways to prevent cough naturally from spreading
Top 16 Home Remedies For Baby Cough And Cold, Fever, Runny Nose At Night
I. Types Of Cough
Four types of cough often affecting babies include a dry cough, whooping cough, wet cough, and croup cough.
- A dry Cough: This type of cough results from infection due to influenza or cold in babies. It will affect the upper respiratory
- A whooping Cough (Pertussis): It is a bacterial infection, which inflames the airways and lungs.
- Wet Cough: This cough happens when fluid and phlegm secretions accumulate in the lower respiratory tract including the lungs and windpipe.
Croup Cough: It’s a disease related to a dry, harsh and woofing cough. A baby suffers from a windpipe or swollen upper trachea.
II. Symptoms Or Signs Of Baby Cough
- A baby becomes less active & dull
- Low appetite
- A runny nose
- Feeling stuffed
- Baby may be irritable
If the condition gets worse, its symptoms include:
- A sore throat
- Sinus pain/headache
- Ear pain
III. Best Home Remedies For Baby Cough & Cold, Fever, Runny Nose At Night
The following home remedies are effective in treating baby cough and cold, fever, runny nose at night, and relieving its symptoms.
1. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Breast Milk
When babies are sick, breast milk is important for them because it provides many nutrients to assist their bodies in fighting infection and recovering from the condition faster. It additionally helps to improve the immune system of your baby to fight against germs, bacteria, and viruses. Baby younger than six months should be given breast milk to battle the virus contributing to a cough. For this purpose, you can put several drops of breast milk in each nostril of a baby.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
2. Home Remedies For Baby Cough With Honey
Honey has been used for centuries as a natural and great cough suppressant. According to a study, honey works as a natural and effective cure for cough in children . This remedy is safe for children age 1 & older. But, babies younger than one year need to avoid using it because it consists of bacteria causing infantile botulism. It embraces high antibacterial, immune-boosting, and antioxidant properties. These properties are useful in easing coughing, calming a sore throat, and killing the bacteria responsible for the infection.
How to do:
- Pour some drops of honey into one glass of warm milk. Drink it to reduce chest pain and alleviate a dry cough.
- Alternatively, you can have your baby swallow a teaspoon of buckwheat honey a couple of times per day.
- Another way is to mix two teaspoons of raw milk with one teaspoon of lemon juice. Then, give this mixture to your child every few hours.
3. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Sponge Bath
You can give small babies a sponge bath or cool bath to help reduce fever in them. A bath also helps your child sleep better that is important for faster recovery.
How to do:
- Give a sponge bath twice or thrice a day for small babies. Take a washcloth and soak it in room temperature tap water and wring out the excess water afterward. Start sponging the armpits, hands, feet, and groin to lower temperature.
- Alternatively, get a cold, damp washcloth and place it in forehead of your baby and change every few minutes.
Note: Don’t use very cold water, as it may make the internal body temperature to increase.
4. Home Remedies For Baby Cough With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is perfect for reducing your baby’s fever. It is acidic nature that is helpful for drawing out body heat through the skin. Thus, you should not ignore this wonderful treatment when searching the best home remedies for baby cough.
How to do:
- Just mix one part of raw, unfiltered ACV and two parts of cool water. Soak two washcloths in this mixture and remove the excess water. Then, place a washcloth on the tummy and one on the forehead. After ten minutes, change them with freshly soaked washcloths. You should repeat this process until the fever has decreased.
- For children older than two years, you add one-half cup of raw, unfiltered ACV to lukewarm bathwater. Then, have your baby sit in this bath for around five minutes. If the temperature of the body rises again, repeat this way.
5. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Oranges
Oranges are highly beneficial for curing cough and cold in babies. Oranges are full of vitamin C, which can combat the cold-causing germs by increasing the white blood cell production. A study shows that vitamin C is useful for preventing and curing a common cold . It also protects babies against secondary infections. It additionally helps to build immunity and recover from many other diseases. It also assists in alleviating symptoms such as a runny nose and sore throat.
How to do:
- For younger babies, you dilute the orange juice with warm water in equal amounts. Then, give it to your baby to consume at regular intervals.
- For children age two years or older, you can give them one to two glasses of orange juice every day.
- For older children, eat oranges directly to increase the vitamin C intake.
6. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Use Carom Seeds
Carom seeds are one of the excellent home remedies for baby cough. They are packed with saponins, fat, fiber, flavone, protein, tannins, glycosides, carbohydrates, and minerals such as copper, iron, manganese, cobalt, etc. . Along with that, it also embraces antibacterial, immune-boosting, and anti-inflammatory properties, all of which help to eliminate symptoms of the common cold such as fever, nasal congestion, and sore throat. It also aids in healing bronchitis, migraine, and asthma.
How to do:
- Get one teaspoon of dry roasted carom seeds and one teaspoon of jaggery. Mix these things well. Give this combination to your child two times daily.
- Alternatively, you can take one-half teaspoon of carom seeds and boil it in one cup of water for five minutes. Strain and give the mixture to your child to consume a few times a day.
- Dry roast two cloves of garlic and one tablespoon of carom seeds in one pan. Later put these ingredients in on clean muslin cloth and then tie it by using a rubber band. After that, place it in cot or cradle of your baby to aid easy breathing.
7. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Use Ginger
Ginger comes with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antitussive (cough suppressant), and antiviral properties, which makes it an effective cure for a baby cough . Besides, it also induces sweat and expels heat to help reduce mild fever. It also helps facilitate recovery by boosting the immune system. Furthermore, it also increases the blood circulation and provides warmth to your baby’s body. This treatment can be applied to babies over one year.
How to do:
- A mixture of honey and ginger juice works well on relieving throat distress. You mix a teaspoon each of ginger juice and honey. Next, give the mixture to your child followed by one cup of warm milk.
- Grate a piece of ginger and later boil it with water, a few pepper pods, one cardamom pod, one clove, and several tulsi leaves. Then, strain this mixture and give some sips to your child at regular intervals.
8. Home Remedies For Baby Cough With Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is useful in clearing chest congestion and relieving blocked nose . It also functions as a coolant. Topically applying eucalyptus oil can improve the flow of blood and disinfect the area. It contains the expectorant quality, making it an excellent cure for chest congestion and cough. This remedy can be applied to babies from one year onward.
How to do:
Take some drops of eucalyptus oil and put it in a muslin cloth. Later, keep it near the bedside of your baby for her or him to inhale. You can also add several drops of this oil in bathing water.
9. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Lemon
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which helps to enhance the immune system in kids and fight against colds and flu. This citrus fruit also consists of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which are beneficial for reducing symptoms such as a runny nose, coughing, and a sore throat.
How to do:
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with several drops of honey. Add the mixture to one cup of warm water. Then, feed this liquid to your baby three to four times daily.
- Alternatively, put the peels and juice from four lemons and one tablespoon of ginger slices in one pan. Cover the ingredients by adding enough boiling water. Let it steep for around ten minutes and strain off the liquid. Then, dilute it with an equal quantity of warm water. After that, add some raw honey or sugar for taste. Finally, give your baby this liquid to consume a few times per day.
10. Home Remedies For Baby Cough With Chamomile
Chamomile tea is well known for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, relaxing and antispasmodic properties . These properties are helpful in treating indigestion, menstrual cramps, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome. It also aids in soothing the throat and clearing congestion. According to a study in 2003 published in the “Journal of Herbal Pharmacotherapy,” chamomile tea was potent in lowering cough intensity and cough frequency in asthmatic patients. This remedy should be given to babies above six months.
How to do:
Take a chamomile tea bag and boil it in two cups of water. Let it cool down. Then, give several teaspoons of chamomile tea to your baby thrice a day.
11. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Cinnamon
Cinnamon possesses antibacterial, natural warming and anti-inflammatory properties, which work effectively on curing a cold, cough, and sore throat. Therefore, you should include this remedy in the list of the best home remedies for baby cough.
How to do:
You prepare ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon and later mix it with one tablespoon of honey. Then, give this liquid to your baby once a day.
12. Home Remedies For Baby Cough With Warm Chicken Soup
Warm chicken soup is considered one of the perfect options for children older than one year when suffering from a cough or cold. The soup is nutritious and light and is also useful in relieving congestion. Furthermore, it is also a powerhouse of antioxidants, which help accelerate the healing process. Apart from that, it is also helpful in improving the function of tiny hairs in the nasal cavity, which protect the body from contagions. You can serve your children a homemade chicken soup with organic chicken and spinach, carrots or beetroot. You should feed babies this soup twice or thrice in a day.
13. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Turmeric Milk
The Ayurvedic medicine and traditional Chinese medicine use turmeric for treating various ailments including a baby cough. Turmeric especially contains curcumin that acts as an anti-inflammatory property and embraces antiviral and antibacterial action . These agents in this spice are beneficial for combating virus and bacteria causing cold and cough. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory effect of curcumin helps to ease the chest congestion developing in people with a chronic cough.
How to do:
Take one cup of milk and boil it in a vessel. Add one pinch of turmeric to this and allow it to cool down. Then, feed your baby. This remedy is suitable for babies from 12 months onward.
14. Home Remedies For Baby Cough With Ghee
Ghee is rich in fats and has an omega-3 fatty acid known as docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which helps the growth and development of brain tissues for a baby. It also helps your baby to stay active by providing her or him with lots of calories. Besides, ghee also composes of anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties, all of which are perfect for boosting eyesight, digestion, and immunity and strengthening bones. It additionally aids in soothing a sore throat and providing relief from a cold. This treatment should be used for babies from eight months onward.
How to do:
Take one tablespoon of ghee and melt it. To the melted ghee, add one pinch of grounded black pepper. Then, heat this mixture for one minute and give it to your baby one time a day.
15. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Saffron
Saffron is a fantastic tonic for a cough and cold due to its essential nutrients. It also owns antioxidants properties, which are useful for fighting illnesses such as a fever, cough, and congestion.
How to do:
- Grind a pinch of saffron and later mix it in enough water to create a paste. Start applying this paste on your baby’s chest, forehead, and throat and below her/ his feet at night. This cure is suitable for babies from three to six months old.
- Take 1/8 tablespoon of saffron and add it to one cup of milk. Afterward, give this mixture to babies. This remedy is suitable for babies from twelve months or above.
16. Home Remedies For Baby Cough – Coconut Oil And Holy Basil
Holy basil can cure problems associated with health such as a cough and cold, as it is full of antibacterial, antibiotic and antiviral qualities. Regular usage of holy basil assists in improving the immunity of your baby. It further helps to cure a fever. Also, it’s an excellent disinfectant and germicidal agent, which can help battle all sorts of viral, bacterial and fungal infections. Coconut oil functions as a natural antibacterial and antiviral moisturizer, which can treat a baby’s cold effectively.
How to do:
Firstly, heat some coconut oil and add a few holy basil leaves in it. Let this mixture cool down and strain it. Start massaging on your baby’s chest, foot, forehead, and back.
IV. Foods Good For Baby Cough & Cold, Fever, Runny Nose Treatment
Giving nutritious foods is an ideal diet for your baby when she or he is sick. Below are some good foods for this problem.
- Foods Rich In Vitamin C: Vitamin C is beneficial for raising the production of white blood cells and antibodies. You should feed babies foods high in vitamin V such as kiwi, papaya, grapefruit, sweet potatoes or bell peppers.
- Mushroom Soup: It provides us with plenty of health benefits. It keeps infections away. Hot mushroom soup is an excellent food for children with a cough and cold. This soup is suitable for babies from one year onward.
- Citrus Fruits: Lemon or orange juices help prevent cell damage while thinning out mucus and soothing congestion. The citrus fruit juices are recommended for babies over the age of 1 year.
- Pomegranate Juice: This juice is loaded with the antioxidants, which can be helpful for treating baby cough. Just make pomegranate juice and later add some dry ginger powder and pepper powder to fight a cold and cough. This juice is suitable for babies older than six months.
- Carrots: It is high in medicinal properties that are potent in enhancing the immune system and keeping away viruses and bacteria. You can steam and mash a carrot. Make a soup or puree for babies over six months of age.
V. Prevention Tips
- Make sure your baby gets adequate rest and sleep for faster recovery.
- Use one rubber-bulb syringe to keep nasal passages of your baby clear.
- Reduce labored breathing by placing on a cool-mist humidifier in the bedroom of your child.
- Keep your house clean to help babies recover quickly.
- Wash your baby’s hand more regularly to inhibit spreading infectious germs.
- Always elevate the head of your baby because this tip will help her or him breathe better.
- Rid your child’s room of stuffed animals & other irritants.
- Forbid your pet from your baby’s room while she or he is sick.
- Take care of your baby’s clothing to protect against cough, cold, fever or a runny nose.
VI. When To Visit A Doctor?
You should visit your doctor if your baby has the following symptoms:
- The symptoms last more than one week.
- The mucus is dark yellow, green color.
- Pain in ears, red eyes, and blue lips.
- The child is experiencing weight loss and appetite loss.
- The wet or dry cough is accompanied by a fever and cold, spells of coughing and wheezing.
Remember to be patient when following any of these remedies. You can try one or two remedies to find the best ones for your baby. Do you know other home remedies for baby cough and cold, fever, runny nose at night that work naturally? Share your experience or views with other moms in the comments box below! Visit our Home Remedies page to learn more about natural treatments for other health and beauty conditions. All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult your doctor to find out which method will work best for your babies.