There is the fact that 70% of women all over the world have trouble with hot flashes at the certain time of menopause transition. Not only women, men can also get this disease when medicine interferes the body's ability of temperature regulation. Hormone therapy or medications can be used to treat hot flashes. However, in all case, natural home remedies should be the first choice. Let have a look at this article on Effective Remedies to know what are the best natural home remedies for hot flashes.
18 Best Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes That Surprise You
I. What Are Hot Flashes?
Hot flashes are sudden hot feelings that can spread over your body, especially in head and neck, from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. When you have hot flashes, there may be some redness on your skin. Women who are nearly or in the menopause transition have the high-risk factor for hot flashes. However, not all women and not only women but also men suffer from hot flashes as it happens due to medical conditions. The hot flashes can last for a quite long time, the University of Pennsylvania pointed out that more than 30% of women suffer hot flashes for up to 10 years and the others' period of hot flashes is 4.9 years.
II. What Causes Hot Flashes?
- The aging process and the reduction of estrogen can drive women to menopause – the main cause of hot flashes.
- The side effects of medicine can interrupt the way your body controls the heat and lead to the heat sensation.
- Stress is also a common cause of hot flashes. Women who appear to have regular stress seem to get hot flashes easier. Therefore, preventing stress is one of the best home remedies for hot flashes. You can practice yourself by breathing deeply 20 minutes per day to avoid hot flashes and increase your longevity.
- Food which is spicy and has a high level of sugar and fatty and hot drink can increase the chance of getting hot flashes, especially in the people who are overweight or obese.
- Alcohol and caffeine contribute to hot flashes
III. What Are Main Symptoms Of Hot Flashes?
If you have these following symptoms, you may suffer from hot flashes:
- The redness on your skin
- Excessive sweating and even night sweat
- Anxious feeling
- Quick palpitation
- Hot flashes can last from 30 seconds to 5 minutes
IV. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes
1. Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help to remove the toxins in your body through the process of perspiration. It also releases the night sweat – a common symptom of hot flashes.
- Prepare a cup of water or vegetable juice
- Add to this water 1 or 2 tablespoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Drink 1 or 2 cups of this water every day to release the symptoms of hot flashes
- If you are crazy for fruit juice, you can use it instead of water and vegetable juice.
2. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Soy
Soy is rich in phytoestrogens, which act like the estrogen produced in your body. Moreover, in soy, there is a large number of isoflavones so that it can treat the hot flashes effectively. You can consider the food sources which are rich in soy such as tofu, soy milk or edamame.
3. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Sage Tea
Sage has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties thanks to the appearance of flavonoids and volatile oils so it is helpful in treating hot flashes. You can follow our directions below to have the best sage tea for hot flashes.
- Put 8 ounces of water in a kettle
- Boil the water and then pour it into a teacup
- Add to the hot water 4 tablespoons of dried sage
- Cover the cup with a small plate
- Wait for at least 4 hours for the sage to steep into the water
- Use a sieve to strain the tea
- Add honey and lemon to the tea for it to be tastier and enjoy it
4. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Flaxseed
Flaxseed is rich in omega 3 fatty acid , which is powerful in lessening the menopausal symptoms, especially the hot flashes. Researchers announced that Japanese women, who consume a high level of this ingredient, seem to experience fewer hot flashes. It is said that flaxseed is as rich in omega 3 as other richest sources like fish. So, it is extremely suitable for the vegetarians. Moreover, the lignans in flaxseed act as a natural phytoestrogen to reduplicate the estrogen your body produces. This process will balance the estrogen during the menopausal process. You are advised to eat at least 50 grams of ground flaxseed per day by adding it to yogurt, smoothie or soup that you consume every day.
5. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Red Clover
The isoflavones and estrogen-like properties available in red clover are powerful enemies of hot flashes. You can follow our directions below to have the best home remedies for hot flashes with red clover.
- Prepare a cup of boiling water
- Add to it 2 teaspoons of dried red clover
- Cover the cup with a small plate in 30 minutes
- Strain it through a sieve
- Enjoy this tea
- It is necessary to have 3 cups of this tea per day to get rid of hot flashes completely.
6. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flash – B & E Vitamins
Vitamin E and B vitamins such as B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 and B12 can regulate the estrogen in your body and help to treat the symptoms of hot flashes.  Furthermore, it is useful in reducing stress and anxiety and brings you a happier life. Each type of B vitamin is available in different types of food. You can consider our suggestion below to consume enough amount of B vitamins for hot flashes treatment.
- Consume more eggs and milk for vitamin B2
- The more vegetables, peas, and nuts you eat, the more vitamin B3 you absorb into your body
- Eat more fish, cereals, avocados, eggs, nuts, and bananas to gain more vitamin B5
- Have more turkey, and dried fruits for more vitamin B6
- Eat more soy milk, egg, and fish to have enough amount of vitamin B12
7. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Licorice Root
In 2012, a study, conducted by the “Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research” proved amazing benefits of licorice root for hot flashes. You can follow these recipes below to treat your hot flashes effectively.
- Prepare some water
- Add to this 1/2 teaspoon of licorice powder
- Stir the, well for the powder to dissolve into the water
- Enjoy this water twice per day to have the best result.
- Mash 5 grams of licorice root
- Boiling a cup of water
- Add to this boiled water the above-mashed licorice root and continue to boil to make tea
- Then use a sieve to strain this tea
- Enjoy 2 cups of licorice tea per day to keep away from hot flashes.
8. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Black Cohosh
Black cohosh is considered to be one of the most powerful herbs for hot flashes treatment. It is believed that it can combine with estrogen receptors and encourage the serotonin receptors. You can consume 500 milligrams of black cohosh per day, in the form of capsules or tea. For some people, using black cohosh can cause side effects such as rash or stomachache. And people who are pregnant, those who have breast cancer and breastfeeding women should not use this herb.
9. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Egg
Eggs are rich in vitamin B, which is effective in treating hot flashes by stabilizing the adrenal gland. It is also useful for balancing and even promoting progesterone and estrogen, a vital step in releasing hot flashes symptoms. Eggs also contain vital substances for our body such as iron, zinc and especially protein, which is really important to maintain a healthy body.
10. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Vegetables And Fruits
Fruits such as apples, bananas, and vegetables like cabbage and broccoli can help you to minimize the effects of hot flashes. They not only add more color to your dishes to make it more attractive but provide you with healthy fiber as well. When eating fruits and vegetables, you can also avoid the risk factors for heart disease, heart stroke and some types of cancer. Therefore, add more fruits and vegetables to your daily meals to gain the best result on hot flashes treatment.
11. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Whole Grains
Whole grains include oatmeal, barley, brown rice and etc. They are believed to be rich in fiber, which can absorb the water and be useful in relieving the hot flashes. Moreover, it can also help to maintain a suitable level of blood sugar and insulin and keep the digestive process at a suitable pace. For the above benefits, eating whole grain is a must thing that you have to do to completely get rid of hot flashes.
12. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Pineapples
Pineapples contain vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant. It is helpful in both protecting our bodies from free radicals and reducing the hot flashes in the menopausal process. You are strongly advised to add more pineapples to your diet. Or, if you are not a fan of pineapples, you can have grapefruits or oranges instead.
13. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Ginseng
Ginseng has anti-inflammatory and anti-fatigue properties, which is powerful for relaxing your body and restoring the energy. Moreover, it has the calming effect, which can release all of the pain feelings, even those of hot flashes.  Here are the directions for using ginseng tea for hot flashes that you can follow.
- Take 1 – 2 teaspoons of ginseng and add it to a cup of water
- Boil the water with ginseng above to make tea
- Remove it from the stove and let it cool
- Enjoy this tea
- If you like sweet, you can add some honey to make it tastier.
14. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Passion Flower
As we said above, stress and anxiety contribute too much to worsening hot flashes. Therefore, relaxing your body is considered to be one of the most powerful remedies. You can practice this by doing exercise, walking, or drinking passion flower tea. The bioactive compounds in passion flower can help you to refresh your body and shorten the hot flashes duration.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of passion flower and a cup of water
- Add the passion flower to the water
- Boil the water
- Turn off the stove and wait for 5 – 10 minutes for the passion flower to steep into the water to make tea
- Drink the tea before it is cold
- You can add some honey for it to be easier to drink.
- Repeat this remedy 3 or 4 times per day to have the best result.
15. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Essential Oils
Essential oils such as lavender or peppermint essential oil are famous for their ability to soothe the pain. Using essential oils with fragrant aroma is also a common way to reduce stress and treat hot flashes. You can follow our directions below to have the best recipe for hot flashes with essential oil.
- Prepare 2 -3 drops of lavender/ peppermint essential oil and a diffuser
- Add the essential oil to the diffuser
- Enjoy the aroma of this essential oil
- Put it near your bed
Note: If you do not have a diffuser, you can use a tissue instead. You also need to add a few drops of essential oil to the tissue and then inhale its aroma.
16. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Ginger
Ginger is good for our overall health, including treating the hot flashes thanks to the appearance of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Prepare 1 inch of ginger
- Wash and then peel it
- Add the above-peeled ginger to a cup of water
- Boil the water
- Let it steep in 5 minutes
- Then use a sieve to strain it
- Let it cool and then add some honey (if you love sweet)
- Drink the above water
17. Best Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Green Tea
The catechins in green tea have antioxidant properties, which is not only good for hot flashes reducing but also our health. Regular use of green tea will help to fight one of the biggest causes of hot flashes – stress and fatigue. Please follow our directions below to know how to have the best cup of green tea to shorten the process of treating hot flashes.
- Boil a cup of water
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea to the above water
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Add some honey (if necessary) and enjoy the tea.
18. Natural Home Remedies For Hot Flashes – Aloe Vera
As you turn into the menopausal process, the estrogen in your body decreases and causes hot flashes. Therefore, to treat the hot flashes, balancing the estrogen is a must. In this situation, using aloe vera juice is very effective. The reason relies on the appearance of phytonutrients in aloe vera. When you drink aloe vera juice, the phytonutrients can help to balance the hormones in your body. You should drink 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice per day to keep away from hot flashes completely.
Tips & Precautions
Changing your lifestyle is also one of the best natural home remedies for hot flashes. You have to:
- Avoid spicy foods and alcohol
- Do yoga to reduce stress
- Reduce the temperature of your room
- Do not wear tight clothes, but consider the cotton ones and even use a cotton bed sheet
- Clean your face with cool water
- Avoid the hot and crowded environment
- Walk regularly to relax your body
Above are some natural home remedies for hot flashes that you can apply at home. If you have any other ways, please leave your comments about this article. For other home remedies, you can visit our Home Remedies page to learn more.