Walnuts are found in cakes, health bars, cookies, fudges, chocolates, etc. so, there are many ways to consume them. They are one of the superfoods because they are abundant in healthy essential fats, vitamins, antioxidants, trace minerals, fiber, and protein. Apart from that, they are cholesterol free and contain negligible sodium and polyunsaturated fats. More importantly, they provide us with a variety of advantages in very small doses, making them a super healthy and convenient snack. Take a specified look at the surprising health benefits of walnuts for pregnancy, babies, and diabetes. Keep reading this article on Effective Remedies to understand more!
- Health benefits of psyllium husk – its uses & side effects
- Health benefits of maca powder – its uses & side effects
- Health benefits of white willow bark, uses, & side effects
38 Surprising Health Benefits Of Walnuts For Pregnancy, Babies, And Diabetes
What Are Walnuts?
Walnuts belong to the tree nut family that includes cashews, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts (filberts), macadamia nuts, pine nuts, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts. They are native to eastern North America and are commonly grown in Iran, China, and the United States in Arizona and California. The seed and fruit of walnuts are enclosed in one thick, inedible husk. The fruit’s shell enclosing the kernel is hard & two-halved. There are two main types of walnuts including Black Walnuts and English Walnuts. The nutritional value doesn’t vary remarkably between the two.
Nutritional Facts Of Walnuts
These nuts are made up of 15% protein and 65% fat. They are rich in polyunsaturated fats, omega-3 fatty acid and an omega-6 fatty acid named linoleic acid. Besides, they also embrace minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, lutein, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin and zinc, and vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, folate and pantothenic acid. Furthermore, walnuts are full of antioxidants including catechin, ellagic acid, melatonin, and phytic acid.
I. Health Benefits Of Walnuts
Consuming walnuts have long been related to a reduced risk of many health conditions. According to many studies, walnuts can decrease the risk of diabetes, heart disease, obesity and overall mortality. Apart from that, eating these nuts can also aid in promoting a healthy complexion and hair, overall lower weight and increased energy and many more.
1. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Protect Your Heart
Walnuts are high in the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, all of which have been shown to reduce triglyceride and LDL cholesterol levels, thereby lessening the risk of stroke, cardiovascular disease and heart attack. Besides, they also contain omega-3 fatty acids that can inhibit dangerous heart rhythms leading to heart attacks. Apart from that, the present of vitamin E in them helps to ward off coronary heart disease by preventing plaque formation. According to a study, consuming nuts can help decrease the risk of coronary heart disease .
2. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Improve Bone Health
Lack of severe copper is linked to an increased chance of osteoporosis and lower bone mineral density. Osteoporosis is a health condition where bones become less dense and thinner, making them easier to break and fracture. Thankfully, walnuts are rich in the mineral copper that plays a vital role in maintaining elastin and collagen, major structural components of your body. Besides, the manganese found in walnuts can be useful in preventing osteoporosis. This mineral is also crucial for bone formation because it helps to absorb calcium into the bone.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
3. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Boost Brain Health
Regular consumption of walnuts is beneficial for boosting memory and brain function. As mentioned above, they are abundant in antioxidants that are potent in reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s and preventing age-related cognitive decline. According to research, walnuts act as a natural treatment for the Alzheimer’s . Also, the omega-3s in the nuts are also excellent for boosting brain health and memory. Folate, vitamin E, and melatonin present in the nuts are also known to encourage brain functioning. Low intake of omega-3s has been associated with anxiety and depression. Munching on a pinch of walnuts daily can prevent these issues significantly.
4. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Fight Cancer
The polyphenol antioxidants present in walnuts are highly effective for soothing inflammation and strengthening the immunity to prevent the formation of cancerous cells. An animal study in 2013 showed that walnut supplementation can reduce the growth of prostate cancer cells .
5. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Aid In Weight Loss
Walnuts can reduce the risk of obesity due to their omega-3 fatty acids. Also, the manganese and copper in them help to reduce weight by boosting metabolism. Apart from that, walnuts are also full of the protein and fiber, which make you less likely to binge and less hungry. As per a report from the Harvard Medical School, walnuts are useful in activating a particular brain region, which curbs impulses and appetite.
6. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Cure Inflammatory Arthritis
Walnuts are particularly high in omega-3 fatty acids, which work on fighting inflammation and combating arthritis and joint pains. Besides, these nuts can lower C-reactive protein levels, an inflammatory marker related to arthritis.
7. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Promote Peaceful Sleep
Walnuts work as an excellent sleeping stimulator owing to their melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone, which helps to induce and regulate sleep. Eating the nuts assures quality sleeping hours by heightening the amount of melatonin in the blood vessels. Therefore, soak a few walnuts in water and eat them before your bedtime if you’re having difficulty in sleeping. You can also use them in the salad or as the topping for dishes to have a peaceful sleep.
8. Benefits Of Walnuts – Promote Reproductive Health Of Men
Walnuts are beneficial for improving the reproductive health. Regular consumption of walnuts can help avoid impotence and encourage the fertility of men. It further contributes in sex drive of men and can heighten libido as well. As per studies, eating one half cup of walnuts daily can improve the quality, motility, vitality and morphology of the sperm.
9. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Remove Free Radicals
The antioxidants present in walnuts are useful for riding the toxins of the body. They also help to maintain healthy cells and heal the damaged ones. Particularly, walnuts embrace unique antioxidants such as tannin tellimagrandin, quinine juglone and flavanol, all of which avoid and remove the development of free radicals remarkably. Free radicals cause cancer and other serious diseases in the heart and other internal organs.
10. Benefits Of Walnuts – Boost Immune System
The immunity of the body helps you to fight against the attack of the virus and bacteria, and thus minimizes the risk of various illnesses. Walnuts prevent us from multiple health problems by making our immunity stronger. As mentioned above, walnuts are rich in antioxidants, which help enhance the immune system by battling the free radicals in the body. Also, the antioxidants can stabilize the free radical and thereby prevents them from damaging the immunity and other body cells.
11. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Improve Metabolism
Daily consumption of walnuts can improve the metabolism of the body and provide us with many benefits since they hold essential fatty acids and minerals such as manganese, manganese, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc. Especially, these minerals play a crucial role in the activities of metabolism such as growth and development, digestion, sperm generation & synthesis of nucleic acid.
12. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Soothe Stress And Depression
Walnuts consist of omega-3 fatty acids and other essential fatty acids so that eating them regularly is very helpful for providing relief from depression and stress. Omega-3s deficiency can lead to irritability, hyperactivity, and tantrums in children. So, you should add walnuts to the meal of your children to help prevent these symptoms.
13. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Beautify The Skin
B vitamins present in walnuts can preserve the vitality and young of the skin by reducing the stress levels. They further help to provide relief from the aging signs such as fine lines, wrinkles, age spots. The nuts also helps keep premature aging because of the presence of antioxidants. Besides, you can combat dry skin by massaging some warm walnut oil on it. It also aids in keeping the skin nourished and healthier. Apart from that, the nuts are also highly beneficial for combating dark circles and puffiness of eyes. Furthermore, walnuts are also full of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals, all of which work on making the skin glow, moisturized and wrinkles free.
14. Health Benefits Of Walnuts – Good For Hair
Walnuts are excellent for the hair since they possess some nutrients such as antioxidants (like vitamin E), omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9 fatty acids, and potassium, etc. These nutrients strengthen the hair follicles. Applying walnuts regularly can make the hair and scalp strong and healthy. It also helps to control hair loss, thus preventing baldness. Furthermore, the nuts also consist of the moisturizing properties, making them excellent for the treatment of dandruff. They additionally improve the luster and strength of the hair.
II. Health Benefits Of Walnuts For Pregnancy
Walnuts are good for pregnancy since they comprise omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients that are needed for fetal growth. Here are some impressive health benefits of walnuts for pregnancy:
- Proteins and omega 3 fatty acids found in walnuts help with the development of eye and brain in your unborn baby.
- Walnuts are potent in increasing the good cholesterol level and reducing bad cholesterol level. Therefore, you can keep the optimal lipid profile during pregnancy.
- The high content of copper present in walnuts can aid proper development and growth of your fetus.
- Regular consumption of walnuts will help decrease inflammation of blood vessels during pregnancy.
- Because of their proteins and fiber, walnuts offer a feeling of fullness and thus aid in weight management.
- Eating walnuts frequently are very active for women suffering from post postpartum depression.
- Walnuts are excellent for inducing sleep in pregnant women by keeping down the melatonin levels.
- Walnuts are loaded with vitamin E that protects the cells and maintains the structure of the cell membranes. It also helps with fetal lung development and lowers the risk of asthma and other respiratory problems.
- The presence of manganese in walnuts is an essential nutrient to help develop the bones and cartilage of your baby.
III. Health Benefits Of Walnuts For Babies
Walnuts embrace various nutrients that help support good health. Babies can benefit from consuming these nuts on a regular basis. Below are some of the impressive benefits of walnuts for babies:
- Walnuts can help improve the brain power of your kids by increasing memory and enhancing brain cell activity.
- Walnuts exhibit strong antioxidant agents and help rid free radicals and toxic substances of your kid’s body.
- Walnuts posses B-vitamins and magnesium that aid in the proper functioning of nervous system and heart. These nutrients further help children feel energetic.
- Walnuts own healthy fats such as polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated fats, which help lower the risks of your babies developing heart-related ailments.
- Walnuts are useful in keeping the hair lustrous and shiny of your kids. Applying walnut oil on the head of your children helps improve hair growth and keep the hair healthy.
IV. Benefits Of Walnuts For Diabetes
Diabetes includes two types – Type I diabetes and Type II diabetes. The body doesn’t produce insulin in type 1 diabetes whereas the body loses its capacity to respond to insulin in type II diabetes, which is known as insulin resistance. This, in turn, causes high levels of blood sugar that increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, obesity and kidney failure. Eating walnuts can deal with the problem of diabetes. According to a 2009 article, walnuts may help reduce the risks of developing type II diabetes in adults. In the study, type II diabetes patients were asked to eat two ounces of walnuts daily . After eight weeks, endothelial function significantly improved in the walnuts eaters. Walnuts have higher quantities of alpha-linolenic acid compared to other nuts. The acid may help cope with plaque formation in arteries. Also, the L-arginine present in the nuts aids in relaxing blood vessels and controlling blood pressure.
V. Other Benefits Of Walnuts
1. Benefits Of Walnuts – Treat Scabies
Walnuts come with vermifuge and anti-fungal effects, which work on combating, scabies, worms, and parasites. For the detailed recipe, you can view at the Scabies Remedy No. 3.
2. Benefits Of Walnuts – Soothe Trigger Finger Pain
The omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts help soothe the pain and eliminate inflammation. Click at the Trigger Finger Pain Remedy No. 20 to get the specified recipe.
3. Benefits Of Walnuts – Treat Asthma
A combination of walnuts and ginger will assist you in battling the excessive phlegm and thus eliminates constant coughing in the throat and clears off the airways. For the detailed recipe, please click at the Asthma Remedy No. 17.
4. Benefits Of Walnuts – Remove Sun Tan
Walnuts are full of antioxidants and vitamins E and B, making them an effective treatment of suntan. You can view at the Sun Tan Tip No. 28 to know the detailed instruction.
5. Benefits Of Walnuts – Make Skin Glow
The valuable antioxidants in the nuts are beneficial for repairing skin cells, exfoliating the skin and beautifying the lifeless skin. To attain the detailed recipe, you view at the Skin Glowing Tip No. 8.
6. Benefits Of Walnuts – Treat Hair Fall
Walnuts can prevent hair fall and grow the hair naturally owing to their protein and omega-3 and 6. Please view at the Hair Fall Remedy No. 16 to get the specific recipe.
7. Benefits Of Walnuts – Cure Strep Throat
Walnut can fight against the ticklish feeling of your throat. Please click on the Strep Throat Remedy No. 16 for getting the extract recipe.
8. Benefits Of Walnuts – Make Your Skin Lighter
Walnuts can provide you with glowing and healthy skin. For the specified guide, please view at the Skin Lightening Remedy No. 8
9. Benefits Of Walnuts – Treat Sleep Apnea
Walnuts help regulate the internal clock of your body and thus treat sleep apnea. You click at the Apnea Remedy No. 14 to pick up the step by step recipe.
Side Effects Of Walnuts
People allergic to nuts need to consult a doctor before taking walnuts because they can lead to allergic reactions. Excessive consumption of walnuts can cause weight gain. Sometimes, they can soften stool and lead to stomach bloating. Black walnut can lead to loose stools or diarrhea. When applied to your skin, black walnut sometimes can cause rashes. Plus, black walnut exhibits juglone that may result in lip or tongue cancer, when applied every day. Nursing and pregnancy women are advised to eat this healthy food. For proper dosage, check with a doctor.
How To Eat Walnuts?
You can consume walnuts directly or in several other tasty ways:
- Toast some walnuts and grind them to one fine powder to make a spread. Blend with a little lemon juice, garlic, salt, olive oil, and pepper.
- Add shredded nuts to fish and chicken right before cooking them.
- Use some walnuts to make a delicious salad.
- Add several walnuts to yogurt or banana and whip it to create a nice smoothie.
- Mix walnuts with caramel, assorted salads, blue cheese, raisins, mushrooms, penne pasta, port, zucchini, and sherry.
Some Easy Walnut Recipes
1. Walnut Halwa
Things you need:
- Walnuts – one cup
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – one teaspoon
- Ghee – two tablespoons
Heat the ghee at first and later add the ground walnut powder. Then, sauté and roast these walnuts. Add the milk while stirring and add the sugar cardamom powder and walnut powder. Mix everything well and continuously stir to simmer it. After that, cool the resultant recipe and enjoy it.
2. Walnut And Chocolate Cake
Things you need:
- Plain chocolate – 100 g
- Butter – 100 g
- Walnuts – 150 g
- Eggs – 3
- caster sugar – 150 g
- Plain flour – 100 g
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Ground cinnamon – a pinch
Preheat an oven at first and later grease and flour one cake tin. Break the chocolate into small pieces and put them with butter into a pan. Melt it on low heat. When it is creamy, pour the chopped walnuts in it and keep it aside. Add the sugar while beating the egg whites. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another bowl. Add the sifted flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Beat the chocolate mixture and gently fold the egg whites. You pour the cake into the tin and sprinkle some walnuts. Finally, bake it in the preheated oven.
3. Eggless Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Things you need:
- Chopped walnuts – 1/3 cup
- Plain flour – 1 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Cocoa Powder – one tablespoon
- Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1/3 cup
- Vanilla extract/essence – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – 1/4 cup
- Icing sugar
Preheat an oven to 180°C. Whisk the baking powder, cocoa powder, soda, sugar, plain flour and salt in a bowl. Whisk the oil, vanilla extract and honey in another bowl. Add the flour mixture to it and mix until you get smooth dough. Add the chopped walnuts. After that, divide into equal portions of fifteen pieces and make rounds. You place them on the baking tray on one baking sheet and bake for around ten minutes. Let them cool completely and store. Lastly, use the powdered sugar to dust the cookies.
In fact, walnuts are considered as the most nutritious of nuts so that it is best to add them to your daily diet. If you know any other benefits of walnuts, then share with us. Also, share your thoughts or views with us by leaving a comment in the section below.