Table of contents
Migraines are characterized by a throbbing pain. Sometimes, migraines occur on one side of the head. And they may last from 4 to 72 hours. Additionally, the symptoms of migraines are very different and each person has his/ her own symptom. You may get the sensory warning signs; for instance, nausea, vomiting, blind spots, tingling in the legs and arms, and so on. Sometimes, before migraines occur, some people have irritability, a stiff neck, frequent yawning, or food cravings. And the reasons causing migraines are usually experiencing stress, loud noises, skipping meals, alcohol, smoke, low blood sugar, dehydration, irregular sleep, allergies, strong smells, bright lights, poor posture, or hormonal fluctuation. As usual, you will take some medicines in order to reduce the pain; however, it may cause some side effects when used frequently. This article will describe 9 most effective home remedies for migraine symptoms.
- Most effective home remedies for headaches relief in the shortest time
- Top 10 easy ways to prevent headaches at work caused by weather
9 Most Effective Home Remedies For Migraines & Headaches Relief That Work
1. Peppermint & Lavender Oil
One of the effective home remedies for migraines is peppermint. It contains the anti-inflammatory properties which can soothe the nerves. Also, it includes calming and antispasmodic effect. In a study in 2008, we found that peppermint has the fragrance which can induce the feeling combined with headaches relief. Another study in 2010, the menthol present in peppermint oil can stop a migraine attack from coming on. The study found that using a menthol solution on the temples & forehead was more effective than a placebo for migraine  Moreover, inhaling lavender oil may reduce migraine pain. A study in 2012 found that people who inhaled this oil during a migraine for 15 minutes reported faster relief than people who inhaled a placebo . You may inhale lavender oil directly or apply the diluted oil to the temples. And in order to make this remedy, you should follow this direction:
- Make a combination of a drop of peppermint oil and a drop of lavender oil. Sometimes, you just use peppermint oil only.
- Massage your temples with the combination
- Leave it on for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- Do this remedy when migraines attack you. It will give a relief.
Alternatively, you can drink peppermint tea with honey when migraines come and attack you.
2. Cayenne Pepper & Lemon Juice
Cayenne pepper is a good home remedy to treat migraines too. It can improve the blood flow along with stimulating circulation. Additionally, with the capsaicin inside, it can act as the natural painkiller. So if migraines come and attack you, please follow these steps to reduce the pain.
- Add a half teaspoon or a teaspoon of cayenne pepper into a cup of warm water
- Mix well
- Add honey or lemon juice if you want
- Drink the liquid in order to cure your migraines when they occur
3. Chamomile & Lemon Juice Tea
The anti-inflammatory, soothing and antispasmodic properties in the chamomile will help you to relieve migraines. In order to get the best result, you should use the German chamomile. So, if you want your migraines to be taken away, please follow this detailed instruction here:
- Take a cup of boiling water
- Add two or three teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers
- Let it steep for a few minutes (maybe 5 minutes or more)
- Add some lemon juice or honey if you want
- Strain it and drink the tea three or four times per day to relieve your migraines’ symptoms.
- Continue do this every day in a month or until your migraines are reduced
Sometimes, you also use this method below when migraines make you hurt.
- Take the same equal amount of chamomile, meadowsweet, and horehound
- Add them to a cup of boiling water
- Allow them to steep at least 5 minutes
- Drink it after straining in order to relieve the pain immediately
4. Ginger Tea
Because of being able to block prostaglandins, ginger can impact hormones, promote muscle contractions, and manage inflammation in blood vessels. According to a study published in the Phytotherapy Research in 2013, ginger may be effective in treating common migraines . So when migraines attack you and make you hurt, let’s implement these instructions here to relieve your pain:
- Make a cup of ginger tea and then drink it a few times during the day.
- Sometimes, when you get migraines, it is very simple to chew a piece of ginger. It will relieve the pain and the symptoms such as digestive distress and nausea
5. Feverfew & Peppermint Leaf Tea
Feverfew is a good way to treat migraines. It has been used many centuries. It includes parthenolide which can not only prevent the inflammation but also relieve spasms. Besides, it can neutralize prostaglandins. Thereby, it can decrease the pain. However, according to a systematic review in 2004, there is not enough evidence that using feverfew helps to prevent migraines. Still, a lot of people claim it aids in reducing their migraine symptoms without adverse effects . And if you use feverfew, you can follow the direction here:
- Pour a teaspoon of peppermint leaves and a teaspoon of feverfew into a cup of boiling water
- Let them steep for about 30 minutes
- Drink this tea a few times during a day until your migraines are taken away
Or you can follow the instructions below:
- Take two or three fresh feverfew leaves and then you eat them when migraines occur
- Take dried leaf capsules (you should take 50 – 100 mg every day in order to stay away from migraines)
6. Sesame Oil & Cinnamon Powder
When you have migraines or headaches, the best remedy which will have the effect on them are massage. Massaging your head will ease your migraines because it blocks the pain signals which are sent to the brain . Also, it is able to boost serotonin activity and encourage certain serotonin receptors.
- Take two tablespoons of sesame oil and then heat it
- Mix a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a half teaspoon of cardamom powder with the oil well
- Apply the combination on your forehead
- Massage gently
- Leave it on about a few hours (at least one hour)
- Wash off with water
Sometimes, you just use your first two fingers to massage your head in the circular motion. While massaging, pay attention: there are pressure points at the locations such as the middle of the forehead, the corners of the eyes and the base of the skull. And when you press these locations correctly, you will feel better.
7. Fennel Seeds, Lavender & Chamomile
One of the best home remedies for migraines is the fennel seed. When migraines come and attack you, please do this recipe here and it will make your pain be taken away. But before doing, you should prepare these ingredients well:
- A half teaspoon of fennel seeds
- A half teaspoon of lavender
- A teaspoon of lemon balm
- A teaspoon of chamomile
- Milk or honey (optional)
Now let’s carry out:
- Pour all the ingredients into a cup of boiling water
- Allow them to steep for about 10 minutes
- Add milk or honey if you want
- Drink this tea when migraines hurt you
8. Rice Sock
Rice is very important to our lives because it is the main cooking ingredient. Besides, it can be used as a remedy to cure migraines too. It can provide us with vitamin B2 which can work as a preventative for migraines. Therefore, when migraines give you a pain, why don’t you try a rice sock? And to make a rice sock, these things should be prepared well:
- 1 kg rice (any kind of rice)
- A needle
- A ribbon
Now let’s do this:
- First, fill the sock with rice
- Then tightly sew the top closed or tie it closed
- Put it in the microwave to heat it for 1 or 2 minutes. Make sure it is not too hot
- Place the sock on your neck. It will help you relieve the pain when migraines attack you
Sometimes, you can add a few drops of essential oil to the rice sock in order to have a better result. And peppermint oil and lavender oil are considered as the best essential oils you ought to use.
Salt is also a good remedy to treat migraines. If you want to use salt as a home remedy, you should follow this recipe:
- Prepare a hot bath
- Pour 1 or 2 cups of salt into it
- Soak your body for 15 minutes and relax. It will give a relief fast.
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of 9 most effective home remedies for migraines & headaches relief that work naturally and fast, I hope that you will find out the best and the most suitable home remedies that work for you. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any home remedies for migraines If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for migraines, please leave them below.