As you know, there are three layers in each and every hair. They are the inner fiber (which is called the medulla), the middle layer (which is called the cortex surrounding the medulla), and the outer layer (which is called the cuticle protecting your hair from the damage). So when the cuticle of your hair is damaged, it will become dry as well as lose its luster and shine. Besides, when your hair is damaged, you will see some other signs, including harsh or brittle texture, lack of elasticity, breakage, itchy scalp, and split ends. Furthermore, if your hair is damaged, it will get tangled more easily and be more difficult to style or manage.
And what are the factors which make your hair damaged? We can say that your hair can be damaged due to so many factors, such as excessive washing with soaps and harsh alcohols, deficiency of moisture in your hair, stress, friction because of sleeping on the cotton pillowcases, swimming in chlorinated water, exposure to hot and dry climate, excessive styling, use of chemical treatment, and so on  . Moreover, some medical conditions such as a hereditary problem, anorexia nervosa, underactive thyroid, and malnutrition can make your hair be damaged. Therefore, treating your damaged hair is very necessary if you want to get it healthy.
Do you want to know how to deal with this hair problem? If “yes,” please continue reading this article. It will present to you the best home remedies for damaged hair you can follow easily to get rid of your hair problem soon.
- Top 10 ways to repair damaged hair from straightening
- Top 14 effective home remedies for frizzy hair
- Top 35 natural solutions for split ends without cutting
Top 13 Effective & Natural Home Remedies For Damaged Hair Repair
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the best natural solutions for damaged hair. Thanks to its vitamin E, several antioxidants, and fatty acids, olive oil can heal the damaged layer. The oil can also seal the cuticle with moisture.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Take enough amount of olive oil and warm it.
- Apply it to your scalp and hair shafts.
- Gently massage for a few minutes.
- Then, use a warm towel to cover it.
- Leave it on for more than 30 minutes or let it sit overnight.
- Wash off your scalp and hair with your shampoo and conditioner as usual.
- Do this remedy more than once a week weekly until your hair is repaired.
- Mix ½ cup of honey and ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Warm this mixture.
- Apply this mixture to your hair.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with warm water and shampoo again as usual.
- Follow this instruction once or twice a week.
- Keep doing this every week until your hair becomes healthy.
2. Avocado And Olive Oil
Avocado has natural oil, essential fatty acids, protein, and vitamins. It can help coat and soften your hair, thus keeping it flexible and hydrated. Moreover, avocado can protect your hair from the damage in the future.
- Take a ripe avocado and two tablespoons of olive oil if you have long hair. If you have short hair, take a half of ripe avocado and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix the pulp of avocado with olive oil well.
- Blend his mixture till you get a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture to your hair
- Wash your hair off after leaving it on for about an hour.
- Do this process once a week weekly until you see that your hair becomes healthy.
- Mash a ripe avocado.
- Add an egg yolk along with enough coconut milk.
- Mix them well to create a fine paste.
- Apply it to your hair and scalp.
- Massage it for about 5 minutes in a circular motion.
- Let it sit for an hour before washing your hair off with lukewarm water and shampooing.
- Keep doing this procedure once a week weekly until your hair is repaired.
Eggs can provide nourishment and nutrients, which have been exhausted from the damaged hair. The protein, essential fatty acids, and vitamins in the egg yolks may help to nourish the hair stands. Besides, it can impart a natural shine. Additionally, egg whites contain the enzymes and protein, which can help to clear your scalp and hair. According to a study, women who don’t get enough protein can suffer from hair thinning, loss, and fragility.
- Whisk an egg on your hair and scalp.
- Massage it for a few minutes.
- Use a shower cap to cover it.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair and scalp with cool water and shampoo.
- Do this remedy once every two weeks.
- Continue doing this process until your condition has improved.
- Beat two eggs and a half cup of yogurt.
- Add one and a half tablespoons of almond oil.
- Beat again till you get a creamy paste.
- Use this paste to massage your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair by using a towel for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with cool water and shampoo.
- Follow this treatment once every two weeks
4. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera is said to be a wonderful natural remedy for many problems including damaged hair. It is capable of soothing the hair shafts because of its humectant properties. Also, aloe vera contains amino acids, vitamin C, E, and enzymes, which are very good for your hair . Besides, “aloe vera contains proteolytic enzymes, which help heal and repair the damaged cells in your scalp. This improves the health of the hair follicles and indirectly boosts healthy and faster hair growth.”[9’] (Medically reviewed by Vindhya L Veerula, MD, FAAD.)
- Directly apply enough aloe vera juice to your hair.
- Let it sit on from 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Do this treatment once every week until your hair becomes healthy.
- 4 tbsp of aloe vera gel
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 3 tbsp of yogurt
- Mix all the ingredients and stir well.
- Apply this mixture to your hair.
- After 30 minutes, wash it off with water and shampoo again.
- Perform this treatment once a week weekly until your hair becomes healthy.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is abundant in a lot of nutrients, which are very good for your hair. It can penetrate deep into your hair shafts easily. Applying coconut oil to hair may help increase the hair's moisture retention. That’s why it can help to prevent the cuticle from the damage and make your hair healthy.
- Warm enough amount of coconut oil.
- Massage your scalp with this warm oil.
- Allow it to sit overnight.
- Wash your hair off and shampoo in the next morning.
- Do this process at least three times per week
- Repeat every week until your hair is not damaged anymore.
- Mix a quarter cup of honey and three tablespoons of coconut oil first. But before mixing, you had better warm coconut oil.
- Thoroughly blend and apply this mixture to your hair.
- Wash your hair off with water and shampoo after letting it sit from 20 to 30 minutes.
- Follow these steps once or twice per week.
- Repeat every week until your hair is repaired
6. Banana Hair Mask
Banana is not only a nutritious fruit but also a wonderful treatment for healing damaged hair. It contains natural oil, potassium, fortifying vitamins, and moisture, which may soften your hair along with improving its elasticity.
- Mash a ripe banana.
- Apply it to your hair.
- Leave it to stay for about an hour.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse off your hair.
- Follow these steps once every week.
- Two ripe bananas
- A tablespoon of coconut
- A tablespoon of honey
- A tablespoon of olive oil
- Blend all the ingredients well.
- Apply this mask to your damaged hair.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, rinse off your hair with water and shampoo.
- Follow these steps once every week until your condition is better.
- Take a banana and an avocado.
- Mash both fruits in a bowl.
- Slather the mixture on your hair.
- Leave it on for about an hour
- Use water to wash off your hair.
- Follow this process once or twice a week.
7. Hibiscus Flowers And Coconut Oil
Hibiscus is one of the best natural and effective home remedies for damaged hair. It can seal the cuticle of your hair with moisture and help to add shine along with luster to your damaged and dry hair.
- Put 8 to 10 hibiscus flowers into a cup of coconut oil.
- Heat them until charred.
- Strain, let it cool and use it as the hair oil.
- Use this to massage your hair for a few minutes.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes with water.
- Do this procedure once or twice per week.
- Repeat every week for the best result.
- Take a quarter cup of honey.
- Mix it with enough water to thin it out.
- Start applying it to your damaged hair.
- Wash off your hair after half an hour with water.
- Follow this remedy twice a week weekly if you want to get a better result.
- Mix two tablespoons of honey, a tablespoon of coconut oil, and a tablespoon of yogurt well.
- Warm it and apply to your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wash it off with water after leaving it on for about 20 minutes.
- Do this remedy only once a week weekly for quick effects.
9. Moroccan Argan Oil And Jojoba Oil
Using a combination of Moroccan argan oil and jojoba oil is one of the most excellent home remedies for damaged hair. Moroccan argan oil has a lot of vitamins, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and protein, which may help to soften and strengthen your hair and protect your hair from UV rays and heat  . Jojoba oil has vitamins A, D, B1, B2, and E, which can nourish and moisturize your hair.
- Mix enough amount of jojoba oil and moroccan argan oil. Depending on the length and the thickness of your hair, you can take the suitable amount of these two oils.
- Massage your hair with this combination of oil in a circular motion.
- Wait for about 1 to 3 hours. Or you can leave it on overnight.
- Wash off your hair with water and shampoo.
- Use this remedy once or twice a week for best effects.
10. Shea Butter, Grape Seed Oil With Sandalwood Oil
Shea butter contains vitamins A, F, and E, which can help to soothe dryness, restore split ends, and reduce breakage. Grapeseed oil can help to moisturize your hair and your scalp. Meanwhile, sandalwood oil can soften and hydrate your damaged hair by retaining and attracting moisture in your hair. Besides, it helps to stimulate hair growth. Therefore, applying this combination will bring you a better result.
- Take an equal amount of shea butter and grapeseed oil.
- Mix them well and boil them.
- Allow this mixture to cool.
- Add to the mixture 5 drops of sandalwood oil.
- Use this mixture to massage your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with shampoo and water.
- Use this remedy twice or thrice per week.
11. Sweet Almond Oil, Carrot Seed Oil And Castor Oil
Sweet almond oil is rich in fatty acids, iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamins D, A, E, B1, and B6, which may moisturize the scalp and hair, reduce breakage, and so on . Castor oil can smooth the cuticle layer and thicken your hair. Carrot seed oil is a rich source of vitamins C, E, A, and beta carotene, which may moisturize your damaged hair.
- Mix the equal of castor oil and sweet almond oil.
- Warm this mixture for a few minutes
- Massage your scalp and hair strands with this warm mixture.
- Cover your hair by using a shower cap.
- Wrap over your head with a towel.
- Rinse off your hair with shampoo and water after an hour.
- Follow this procedure only once a week.
12. Coconut Oil, Sesame Oil With Olive Oil
As you know, coconut oil and olive oil are good ingredients for treating damaged hair. Sesame oil can promote a healthy scalp and new hair growth. It is also enriched with antioxidants, and studies have indicated that it can be effective at preventing graying of hair, aging, and even hair loss. It can also prevent the damage caused by UV rays.
- Mix ½ cup of sesame oil and ¼ cup each of olive oil and coconut oil.
- Warm them in a few minutes.
- Use this mixture to massage your hair and scalp
- Wait for about an hour before rinsing with water.
- Follow these steps once a week only.
- Repeat every week until you notice the result
13. Amla Oil With Lemongrass Oil
- Mix ½ cup of amla with three drops of lemongrass oil.
- Warm them up.
- Use it to massage your hair and scalp.
- After half an hour, wash off with water.
- Follow this process at least once a week.
Hope that this post can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to heal your damaged hair easily and quickly. If you have any questions, or you know other natural home remedies for damaged hair, please leave them below.