Before showing the best home remedies for dandruff in winter, you should be aware of what dandruff is, what its symptoms are, and so on. Dandruff is a common scalp disorder. It can happen because of the growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp. Besides, it is caused by the irritated oil skin, inflammatory skin condition, dry skin, and some other factors. When you have dandruff, you will get itchiness. Sometimes it will make you mad. So do you want to cure dandruff? If “yes”, please keep reading this article. EffectiveRemedies.com will show you 23 best home remedies for dandruff in winter you can do at home to get rid of it easily without any side effect.
Top 23 Natural Home Remedies For Dandruff In Winter
Here is the list of top 23 easy & effective home remedies for dandruff in winter you are finding:
1. Indian Lilac
The first remedy in the list of home remedies for dandruff which is mentioned below is Indian lilac. It is known as Neem. It can treat dandruff because it contains the antibacterial and antifungal properties . Beside dandruff, Indian lilac also helps to treat other hair problems for example hair fall, scalp acne, and itchy scalp. So when you want to use this home remedy, please follow this detailed instruction:
- Take 4 cups of water and pour into the pan
- Put some Indian lilac leaves into the pan
- Boil the water with the Indian lilac
- Make it cool and train it to the bowl
- Use it as a hair rinse at least twice a week
You should use this method until your dandruff disappears.
2. Coconut Oil
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
As you know, coconut oil has many utilities. That’s why it is considered as one of the effective home remedies for dandruff. Coconut helps to completely remove dandruff because of the antifungal properties.
Any food that has antifungal properties will help control the growth of yeast.
In addition, coconut oil can help relieve itchiness as well as moisturize the dry scalp. While no studies have conducted coconut oil specifically, it contains antimicrobial effects and could be beneficial for treating dandruff . Thus, to use this method, you just need to prepare:
- Five lemons
- Coconut oil
- A bowl
Here is the recipe:
- Put some coconut oil into the bowl
- Mix it with the juice of 5 lemons well
- Rub the mixture on your scalp
- Massage in a few minutes
- After 20 minutes, wash your hair carefully
- Do this remedy two or three times per week, and continue doing it when you see that there no dandruff.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another home remedy for dandruff is apple cider vinegar. It can help to retrieve the pH balance of the scalp . That’s why it can prevent the growth of yeast. Moreover, it can clean hair follicles and clogged pores. If you want to treat your dandruff by using this method, you need to prepare these things:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tea tree oil
- A bowl
Here is the detailed direction:
- Take 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and put it into the bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons water into the bowl too
- Mix them with 15 or 20 drops tea tree oil
- Massage your scalp with this mixture by applying it on
- Wash your hair after few minutes
- Repeat the treatment 2 or 3 times per week and you should carry out in one or two weeks because it depends on your feeling.
4. White Vinegar
Not only apple cider vinegar can treat dandruff, white vinegar is concerned as one of the effective home remedies for dandruff in winter too. Vinegar contains acetic acid which stops fungi from growing on your scalp and stops itching. And here are two the specific ways of using white vinegar:
- This is the first solution that you can follow. Add a half cup of white vinegar to 2 cups of water. Now use this to clean your hair after you use shampoo to wash your hair
- And this is another choice. Mix olive oil and white vinegar into the water well. Massage your scalp with this mixture about 10 minutes. After that, rinse it and use a mild shampoo to wash your hair.
You can choose any way to treat your dandruff. But remember you should do this remedy for dandruff once or twice a week in about 2 weeks to get the best result.
In addition, you can combine the vinegar with other ingredients to make your dandruff go away. For example, you can combine banana with vinegar as a simple remedy for dandruff as below:
- First, peel a banana.
- Then, mix it with 2 cups of vinegar and stir until they become a paste
- Apply to your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes or as long as possible
- Rinse the mixture with water
- Repeat daily for one week. Then do this once a week till you see dandruff is removed
5. Baking Soda
Another remedy among 23 best home remedies for dandruff presented in this writing is using baking soda. When talking about the uses of baking soda, we cannot forget that it can remove the dead skin cells as well as the excess oil. Furthermore, it is able to reduce the growth of fungi as well as balance the pH levels of the scalp . For this reason, let’s do as below to cure dandruff:
- Make your hair wet
- Take a handful of baking soda
- Rub it onto your scalp
- Wash your hair with warm water after a few minute
- Keep doing this twice a week for a few weeks
Pay attention: don’t use shampoo in order to wash your hair after you perform this remedy for dandruff. When you see your dandruff disappear, you will stop doing this method.
6. Olive Oil
In order to get rid of dandruff, you can use olive oil as one of the easiest home remedies for dandruff. And we are not strange how olive oil can treat the skin problem . For this reason, this article will show you the way that you can use to cure dandruff:
- Heat some olive oil till it is warm
- Use it to massage your scalp
- Take a warm towel and then wrap your hair
- Shampoo your hair after 45 minutes
- Finally, condition your hair
- Repeat this process a few times per week.
When dandruff is gone away, this remedy for dandruff should be stopped.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Similarly, tea tree oil is listed in the list of top natural home remedies for dandruff in winter you should try using. As you can see, there are many strong antifungal properties in tea tree oil. In a 2002 study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, participants who used 5% tea tree oil shampoo within 4 weeks reported a 41 percent decrease in dandruff, whereas people who used shampoo alone reported an 11 percent reduction . And here is the simple and detailed instruction of using tea tree oil to treat dandruff:
- Add some drops tea tree oil to your shampoo when you clean your hair
- Add a drop of essential oil to this mixture
- Use this to wash your hair
Otherwise, you can follow this instruction to reduce dandruff:
- Add some drops tea tree oil to a tablespoon coconut oil (if you don’t have coconut oil, you can use olive oil instead)
- Dilute this mixture of oil
- Apply this mixture to your hair
- Leave it on about 30 minutes or overnight if you can
- Then wash your hair
- Do this at least once a week
Continue doing until your dandruff is gone away
8. Lemon Juice
When listing home remedies for dandruff, lemon juice can’t be dismissed. Why? This is because lemon juice includes acids which fight the fungi causing dandruff. It also has an antimicrobial activity in nature . Moreover, it can relieve itching. To do this remedy, let’s prepare well first:
- Lemon juice (from half of a lemon)
- Yogurt (one – fourth cup)
Here is the way you can follow:
- Mix the lemon juice with yogurt well
- Apply it to your hair and on your scalp
- Then rinse it off after leaving it on about 5 minutes
- Shampoo your hair
This is the different way you can use to treat dandruff:
- First, combine some teaspoons lemon juice with a little water
- Then, use this combination to massage your scalp
- Next, leave it about 5 minutes
- After that, rinse it out
- Finally, shampoo your hair
You can choose one of both ways and repeat a few times per week. And keep doing this when you feel that there’s no dandruff on your scalp
One of the simple home remedies for dandruff which should be listed is aspirin. Because it includes salicylic acid, aspirin can exfoliate your scalp. If you want to try to use this home remedy for dandruff, you can choose one of both methods to follow:
- This is the first method:
- Blend two aspirin capsules into powder.
- Mix it with your shampoo
- Wash and massage your hair with the mixture
- Wash your hair well after leaving it on about a few minutes
- This is the second method:
- Crush the aspirin into powder like the first method
- Add some drops of vinegar
- Massage your scalp with the mixture of vinegar and aspirin
- Spend a half of hour leaving it on.
- Wash your hair well
Besides aspirin, you also use Listerine as one of home remedies for dandruff. Thanks to the alcohol content and the antifungal properties in the Listerine, just use it to wash your hair once per week.
Although you choose either of ways of home remedies for dandruff, you should apply it until your dandruff disappears.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
Another of home remedies for dandruff is fenugreek seeds. With the soothing and antifungal properties inside, fenugreek seeds can help to control dandruff . Here is the detailed instruction of using this home remedy for dandruff:
- Take two or three tablespoons fenugreek seeds to soak them in water overnight
- Take the fenugreek seed out and then grind them into paste in the next morning
- Add some teaspoons unsweetened yogurt
- Rub the mixture to the scalp
- Rinse and shampoo your hair after leaving it on for 40 or 45 minutes
- Implement this process once or twice a week
You ought to do this two or three weeks, it depends on how you feel.
As you know, garlic is also one of the home remedies for dandruff. Why is it one of the best natural home remedies for dandruff? This is just because the antifungal properties in garlic can eliminate the bacteria causing dandruff . Here is the list of things you should prepare in order to make this remedy:
- Honey (if you are scared of the garlic’s smell)
Now this is the process of applying it as one of the home remedies for dandruff:
- Blend some branches of garlic
- Add some drops of honey and then mix well
- Apply the mixture to your scalp
- Next, massage in a few minutes maybe from 5 to 10 minutes
- Finally, wash your hair as usual
You can do this remedy until you see there’s no dandruff on your scalp or you don’t feel itchy.
12. Aloe Vera
When talking about aloe vera, it is concerned as one of the home remedies for dandruff. It can help to slow down the fast growth of cells, which is the main reason causing dandruff. A study in 1998 found that aloe vera could help deal with the scalp inflammation that causes dandruff . The fatty acids in the aloe vera also have anti-inflammatory effects. And to do this remedy, what you need is just aloe vera gel (a bottle). Here is the detailed instruction of using aloe vera as one of home remedies for dandruff.
- Apply aloe vera gel onto your scalp before you wash your hair
- Leave it on about 15 minutes
- Wash and shampoo your hair as usual.
13. Reetha Or Soap Nuts
Another home remedy among 23 best home remedies for dandruff is soap nuts. In other words, it is called reetha – an old age Indian remedy. In order to keep hair strong and long, it has been used traditionally in the mixture with shikakai. And with the antibacterial properties, it can help to treat the scalp problem including dandruff. This is what you should prepare:
- Soap nuts (10 – 15)
- Amla powder or juice (1 tablespoon)
- Water ( 2 – 3 cups)
Here is the detailed instruction:
- Soak the soap nuts in water overnight
- In the next morning, take them out then grind
- After that, boil the soap nuts powder in water and then strain
- Add amla powder or amla juice to it, then mix everything well
- Apply onto your scalp about 30 minutes
- Wash off with water and shampoo
Keep doing this process in a month or until you feel better.
Yogurt brings various benefits to many skin problems. And, of course, it can cure dandruff. That’s why it is considered as one of home remedies for dandruff. If you choose to do this method, what you need is unsweetened yogurt. And this is the way to implement this method:
- Wet your hair
- Then rub the unsweetened yogurt to your hair and your scalp
- Leave it on for 10 or 15 minute
- Then wash again
- Do this once or twice a week for about 3 weeks or until you feel that dandruff is removed.
Not only this way, you can use yogurt and pepper as one of home remedies for dandruff because there is antifungal in the pepper. And here is the specific instruction:
- Firstly, take 2 spoons black pepper seeds and then crush them into the powder
- Secondly, add a cup of yogurt in the powder
- Then mix the well
- Next apply the mixture to your scalp, not your hair
- Keep this pack for 1 hour
- Wash it carefully by using shampoo
- Do this once or twice per week for a few weeks till you see the improvement
15. Baby Oil
Beside the home remedies for dandruff above, you also use baby oil for relieving dandruff. Here is the detailed instruction of using baby oil:
- Apply the baby oil to your hair
- Then gently rub your scalp
- Next, use a towel to cover your hair
- After that, leave it on overnight
- Finally, in the next morning, use the anti – dandruff shampoo to wash your hair
Just do this once or twice a week and keep doing this until you feel better.
16. Egg Oil
Egg oil includes the cholesterol and omega – 3 fatty acids which can bring the luster and shine to hair. In other words, it can treat dandruff. That means egg oil is one of the home remedies for dandruff too. So here is the instruction of using this remedy:
- Massage the egg oil on your scalp about 5 – 10 minutes
- Then leave it on overnight
- And in the next morning, shampoo with the herbal shampoo
- Use egg oil twice or thrice per week and keep doing at least for 3 months to see the visible result
17. Egg Yolk
Just like egg oil which is mentioned above, egg yolk is also one of the great home remedies for dandruff. And you’ve known some uses of egg oil as well as egg yolk. But your question is how you can do if you choose to apply this remedy. The answer is that you should follow the direction below:
- Take 1 or 2 egg yolks and then mix them well
- Apply it to the dry head
- Take a plastic bag and cover the hair or scalp
- Leave it on about one hour
- Use the shampoo to wash it
- Do this process twice a week until your dandruff is gone
18. Orange Peel Pack
With citric acid and vitamin C in oranges, it will help to treat the tone and skin texture. In addition, orange peel brings effective advantages for hair care. Also, the acidic properties in oranges help to reduce excess oil. With many uses like that, it is listed as one of home remedies for dandruff. First, let’s prepare:
- Orange peel
- Lemon juice
This is the detailed instruction you can follow:
- Mix the orange peel with the lemon juice well to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp
- Leave in on 30 minutes
- Then use shampoo and water to wash your hair
- Follow this remedy at least twice a week and keep following until dandruff is gone
Ginger is also listed as one of the useful home remedies for dandruff too. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and active components such as volatile oils which can help to prevent dandruff. And this remedy is done like below:
- First, grate the ginger after peeling it
- Second, take sesame oil about four ounces into the cup
- Then, wring the ginger in a cheesecloth in order to get the oil
- Next, mix the sesame oil and ginger oil together
- After that, gently massage your scalp with the mixture of oil
- Finally wash it with the shampoo after leaving it on about 15 minutes
- If your dandruff is gone, it’s time to stop using this remedy.
Besides, you can also apply ginger to treat dandruff as following:
- Grind the beetroot and ginger to make a paste
- Use the paste to massage your scalp
- Leave it on overnight
- Rinse it with water in the next morning
- Follow this way about 4 – 5 nights
One of home remedies for dandruff is henna. Why is it one of home remedies for dandruff? The reason is that henna is able to bind to the keratin which can create a protective layer and relieve the scalp irritation. In addition, it reduces the oiliness of the scalp. So it can reduce dandruff. Here is the detailed instruction:
- Take one teaspoon henna in a cup
- Then add amla, tea powder, lemon juice and hair oil which have the same equal amounts as henna to henna in the cup
- Next, mix everything well
- Gently apply to your scalp
- Finally, wash off with shampoo after leaving it for a few minutes
- Repeat this remedy once or twice a week
And you should stop using this remedy when you see your dandruff go away.
21. Fuller’s Earth
One of the best home remedies for dandruff is fuller earth. Fuller’s earth can soothe the scalp and remove excess oil as well as fight the irritation because of its cooling effect. And in order to use this remedy, you should prepare:
- Fuller earth
- Lemon juice
This is how to implement this remedy:
- Mix the fuller earth and water together to make the paste
- Add some drops lemon juice to it (maybe 2 or 3 drops)
- Gently apply to your hair
- Wash off with water after leaving it for 20 minutes
- Do this twice a week and keep doing until you see the improvement
One of the home remedies for dandruff is salt. Salt can help to get rid of the dead skin flakes and the extra oil. Here is the instruction:
- Take 3 tablespoons salt (you can choose either Epsom salt or dead sea salt to have the best result)
- Apply to your scalp and then massage gently
- Let it dry for 2 – 3 minutes
- After that shampoo your hair
- Repeat this process once per week and continue doing until your itching is gone
Apple is a great source of iron and minerals including procyanidin B – 2. And using the unripe apple helps you to promote the growth of hair and get a healthy scalp . That’s why it is concerned as one of home remedies for dandruff. To use this remedy, you just need to follow the recipe here:
- Mix 2 tbsp unripe apple juice with 3 tbsp water
- Gently apply this mixture to your scalp for 10 minutes
- Wash it with shampoo
- Do this once or twice a week in a few weeks or until you feel your scalp better
People always say that prevention is better than cure. So besides the natural home remedies for dandruff above, to prevent dandruff from coming back again you should:
- Wash your hair regularly, but remember not obsessively.
- Use some antifungal and antibacterial shampoo
- Give time to your dandruff shampoo to work. That means you should leave dandruff shampoo in at least 5 minutes before washing it off.
- Avoid brushing your hair when it is wet, make it dry and the use comb to brush it
- Keep your hair moisturized
- Stay away from stress or the stress situation.
- Have a healthy and balanced diet or food rich in vitamin B, zinc, omega – 3 and so on
- Have a healthy lifestyle
- Avoid using the hair drier too often
- Use the cool or cold water to wash your hair instead of hot water
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 23 best natural home remedies for dandruff in winter, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your dandruff easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should meet your doctor to get the advice before applying any home remedies for dandruff. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for dandruff, please leave them below.