Teeth are one part of the body that can partly decide the outlook of a person. For that reason, people often care a lot about their teeth and sometimes, forget another important part of the teeth health, which is gum. As gum is mostly hidden behind the lips, it does not receive the attention frequently. In fact, your mouth’s health is not only about how bright your teeth are or how stunning your smile is but also about how healthy your gum is. Believe it or not, gum diseases can cause plenty of troubles for our general health and particularly for our mouth. Even if you brush your teeth every day or you are cavity-free, your gum is still vulnerable to diseases. As some diseases are painless and unnoticeable, most people don’t know that they are in troubles until it’s getting too late. Therefore, knowing about home remedies for gum disease is essential for you to properly treat your gum. In this article, Effective Remedies will suggest you a list of reliable home remedies that will work well on the gum diseases. Let spend some minutes to learn how to protect your gum.
- 20+ proven home remedies for toothache pain relief – 100% natural & safe!
- 30+ unusual ways to get the relief from gingivitis in toddlers & adults
I. What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, or also known as gingivitis, is caused when the tissues around the teeth get inflamed mostly due to the poor dental hygiene. When your gum gets red or swollen and bleeds easily when brushing teeth, there must be something wrong with your gum. Gum disease happens quite commonly and varies in severity, which makes it more difficult to control.
II. What Causes Gum Disease?
The most common cause of gum disease is the poor oral hygiene that gives bacteria and calculus opportunities to remain on your teeth and infect your gum. However, even with the proper oral hygiene, gum disease still can appear as the result of other reasons:
- Alcohol consumption can negatively impact the oral defense mechanisms
- Frequent chewing tobacco and smoking puts off the gum tissue from regeneration
- Diabetes mellitus can damage circulation and weaken the gums’ healing ability
- Rotated, overlapping, or crooked teeth create a lot of areas for calculus and plaque to build up, which make it more difficult to keep your teeth clean
- Infrequent or improper dental care
- Poor saliva production
- Cancer together with cancer treatment also makes a person more susceptible to bacterial and infection, which increases the chance of gum disease
- Stress damages the body's immune reaction to bacterial attack
- Mouth breathing makes the gum out of the lips’ protection and leads chronic irritation and inflammation
- Hormonal changes during puberty, pregnancy and menopause also raise the chance of gum disease. More specifically, hormone increase makes the blood vessels around the gum more vulnerable to bacterial and also chemical attack. The prevalence of gum disease at puberty is between 70%-90%
- A poor diet with high sugar and carbohydrate content with insufficient low water intake will increase the development of plaque. Meanwhile, the lack of important nutrients like vitamin C will prevent the healing process
- Medications, for example, antiseizure medications can increase the risk of gum disease
Learn more: The best ways to whiten teeth naturally & fast
III. Common Symptoms Of Gum Disease
Even though gum disease is not always easy to be noticed, there are still some symptoms that can warn you about your health condition.
- Swollen, red gums that easily bleed during flossing and brushing
- Uncomfortable mouth odor or a bad taste
- White plaques and spots on the gums
- Gums that seem to be dragging away from the teeth
- Pus between teeth or gums
- Spaces between teeth get larger or there are changes in the way your teeth fit together
As stated before, sometimes gum disease appears without any notice or signs, therefore, regular dental checks are important in figuring out whether there is something wrong with your gum or not. The dentist will provide primary care for the mouth and give you the reliable information needed on your condition. The early diagnosis will prevent the gum disease from getting worse and leaving terminal impacts on your teeth and mouth.
IV. Natural Home Remedies For Gum Disease
1. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is well-known for its healing power and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it beneficial for treating gum disease. Moreover, Aloe Vera can also act as an antimicrobial to kill off the bacteria causing gum disease in your mouth. This remedy can be used to treat bad breath and also heal mouth ulcers. To apply Aloe Vera for your gum disease, you will need:
- Use fresh Aloe Vera gel to massage your gum, let it leave there for at least 30 minutes
- Rinse off with water and repeat several times per day
Alternatively, you can swish your mouth with Aloe Vera juice a few times and spit it out. Drinking 2 teaspoons of Aloe Vera every day will also help to ease the gum disease naturally at home. No matter which way you choose, let follow it at least several weeks on a daily basis.
Note: excessive Aloe Vera intake can lead to laxative effect.
2. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Cranberry Juice
Thanks to the high content of vitamin C, cranberry juice is a good option for dealing with infection and gum disease. A study published in 2016 has shown that the lack of vitamin C intake can be the reason of many health problems including malaise, spots on the skin, lethargy and periodontal diseases like bleeding, painful gum . Cranberry juice can help to ease the bleeding and inflammation related to receding gums. To increase the vitamin C intake, you can also add more food with high content of vitamin C to your daily diet such as kale, broccoli, oranges, red peppers and Brussels sprouts. To use this tip, you can drink two tablespoons or about 4 ounces of cranberry juice every day to prevent bacteria from damaging your teeth.
3. Home Remedies For Gum Disease –Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is actually an excellent traditional Ayurvedic technique for oral care. This technique is believed to strengthen the gum and teeth, treat bad breath, and reduce plaque. Moreover, oil pulling can also benefit the overall health by removing toxins. There are two typical oils that are highly recommended to use for gum disease, which are coconut oil and Arimedadi oil.
3.1. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut is a rich source of lauric acid, which contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. According to a study available in 2015, the application of coconut oil using the oil pulling technique can reduce the plaque and the symptoms of gum disease like gingivitis . Other benefits of coconut oil pulling include:
- Whitening teeth
- Freshening breath
- Clearing sinuses
- Relieving headaches and tension
To use coconut oil for pulling, you need to:
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of fractionated (liquid at room temperature) coconut oil and put them into your mouth
- Keep the coconut oil around your mouth for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Do not allow the oil to touch your throat’s back
- Spit the coconut oil out when the time is up
- Rinse off your mouth with water
- Spit the water out before drinking a cup of water.
- Brush your teeth
When used with baking soda, coconut oil can provide natural treatment for gum disease due to its antibacterial properties while baking soda can neutralize the acids in the mouth. Let:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda and the same amount of coconut oil
- Use this mixture as your toothpaste at least two times per week on a regular basis
Although oil pulling is safe to practice at home, do not swallow the liquid as it has the bacteria and toxins pulled from your mouth’s tissues.
3.2. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Arimedadi Oil Pulling
Besides coconut oil, Arimedadi oil can also be used to deal with gum disease. This oil has been proven to restrain the development of plaque and heal the symptoms of gingivitis. Moreover, Arimedadi oil can also:
- Reducing swelling
- Healing mouth sores
- Strengthening gums and teeth
- Relieving pain
So, how to use Arimedadi oil for your gum disease?
- Wash your mouth with one tablespoon of the oil you choose (make sure that the oil goes through your teeth and covers the gum)
- Washing for 15 minutes
- Spit the oil out and rinse off your mouth with water
- Repeat the technique every day for about a month
Note: Do not swallow the oil as it may cause side effects for your health. You also are not recommended to use this oil if you are suffering from sinusitis.
4. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Myrrh
The next home remedy that offers impressive effects on treating gum disease is myrrh. Its astringent, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties can not only ease the symptoms of gum disease but also maintain the proper oral hygiene. This oil is often applied by herbalists to treat sore gums and traditionally used to prevent infection due to its antifungal benefits. Using myrrh as mouth rinse can also ease the inflammation caused by gums diseases such as mouth ulcers or gingivitis.
- Mix 10 drops of myrrh oil with a glass of warm water to make a mouth rinse or with salt water rinse
- Use this mouth rinse 2 times per day for several days
Alternatively, you can mix Echinacea together with myrrh tinctures together and use this mixture as your daily mouth rinse until the symptoms of gum disease disappear.
5. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-inflammatory properties which can help to soothe inflamed and irritated gums. Studies have found that the application of tea tree oil gel can ease the gingivitis and reduce gum bleeding. Beside, this oil is also used to treat other dental problems such as thrush, oral herpes infections, and bad breath. Let see how to use tea tree oil at home for your condition:
- Mix t3 drops of the tea tree oil with a glass of warm water
- Use the solution to swish your mouth for half a minute.
- Spit it out and wash off with water
- Practice this tip two to three times a day
Alternatively, you can add some drops of tea tree oil to your toothpaste to brush your teeth two times per day. Continue applying this tip for several weeks until the gum disease gets better.
Note: Remember not to swallow the oil
6. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Tea Bags
Containing tannic acid, tea, especially black tea is very helpful in easing pain and deal with inflammation. The antioxidants found in tea make it effective in fighting against infections. To use tea bags at home for the gum disease, you can follow this step-by-step instruction:
- Prepare a tea bag and steep it in hot water for about 10 minutes before allowing it to cool
- Use the tea bag to place on the affected area of your gum for about five minutes
- Repeat this tip a few times per day until your condition gets better
7. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Chamomile Tea
Another effective home remedy for gum disease is chamomile tea. This remedy is well known for its antiseptic and inflammatory properties, which make it a perfect choice for easing pain and inflammation related to gum disease. To take advantages of chamomile tea for your condition, let:
- Prepare a few teaspoons of chamomile flowers and mix them with one glass of hot water
- Steep this chamomile flowers for 10 minutes before straining and allowing it to cool
- Use this tea to replace your mouthwash a few times per day until your gum disease gets improved
8. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil is a generous source of vitamin A, C, and E. Its antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-infectious properties offer various benefits for our over health, including gum disease treating. This oil is believed to reduce the bacteria developing from the oral cavity and protect teeth and gum from infected. Lemongrass oil is often used in mouthwash to prevent plaque and inhibit caries formation. Let see the right way to use lemongrass oil for your gum condition:
- Put 2 to 3 drops of lemongrass oil (essential form) in a glass of water to dilute it
- Use the solution to swish in your mouth for at least 30 seconds before spitting it out
- Repeat this process two to three times every day
Although lemongrass oil is safe to apply, it’s still very potent. Therefore, it is necessary to dilute the oil to prevent further irritation.
9. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Sage
Sage is another home remedy for gum disease as it can significantly reduce the number of bacteria causing dental plaque when used as mouthwash. As a rich source of antioxidants and antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties, sage is considered as an effective option for healing swollen gum and treating infection. Let see how you can use sage at home for your condition:
- Boil about 2 cups of water and put 2 tablespoons of the fresh sage or only one teaspoon of dried sage on the water
- Allow it to simmer about 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain the mixture before letting the water cool
- Rinse your gum with the solution two to three times every day until the disease gets better
10. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Guava Leaf
Guava leaves are another home remedy that is highly recommended for gum disease. Studies have proven that these leaves contain antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, which make it helpful in controlling plaque. Other benefits of guava leaf also include:
- Reducing gum inflammation
- Relieving pain
- Freshening breath
To make mouthwash with guava leaves, you need to:
- Crush about 5 guava leaves with a pestle and mortar
- Put the crushed leaves on one cup of boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes
- Let it cool and add a little salt to this solution
- Use the lukewarm mouthwash to swish in your mouth for half a minute.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times per day.
11. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Clove
Clove is the next remedy that has been proven to effectively treat plaque and gum disease at home. The antioxidant and antiviral properties contained in clove help to ease inflammation. Plenty of studies have proven that clove oil can reduce the bacteria leading to gum disease and balance oral biome. This oil is also effective in preventing bad bacteria from moving into your arteries and leading to a stroke or even heart attack.
- Grind one teaspoon of cloves
- Use a damp cotton ball to dip into the ground cloves and get as much as possible
- Rub the clove-covered ball gently onto your gums
- Let the cloves stay on your gums for one minute
- Wash your mouth with water to remove all the cloves
Note: Do not use a large quantity of clove or using it for a long run to avoid unexpected effects.
12. Home Remedies For Gum Disease – Turmeric Gel
A study published in 2015 has shown that turmeric gel could work well to prevent plaque and gingivitis thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Containing antimicrobial and antifungal effects, turmeric is also used to heal reddening and bleeding of the gums. More specially, turmeric is a generous source of curcumin, a key constituent that helps turmeric to ease pain and inflammation associated with gum. By preventing the production of a gene creating gum-irritating chemicals, turmeric is an excellent option for treating gum disease at home. To apply turmeric, you need to:
- Brush your teeth before rinsing thoroughly
- Apply the turmeric gel to your gums
- Let the gel stay there for 10 minutes before washing off all of the gel by swishing water around your mouth
- Spit the water out and reapply two times per day
V. Prevent Gum Disease From Recurring
Keep your oral hygiene daily by brushing your teeth at least two times a day. It is advised to brush your teeth after each meal.
- Using an electric toothbrush can maximize the cleaning potential
- Make sure to choose the toothbrush having soft or even extra-soft bristles
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months
- Floss daily to keep your teeth clean
- Choose a natural mouthwash to use for your mouth
- Visit your dentist and have your teeth checked at least once per year
- Stop smoking and chewing tobacco.
- Limit sugar intake
Gum disease is undoubtedly very common in our daily life. Vary in forms and levels of severity, gum disease can lead to permanent effects on your teeth and on overall health if proper treatment is not carried out on time. Having knowledge of gum disease in general and knowing how to treat it will be the best way for you to protect your gum and teeth from the bad bacteria and inflammation. By taking advantages of natural herbs, you can treat the gum disease in a safe yet effective way. In this article, 12 reliable home remedies for gum disease have been suggested for you to try at home. Let us know how effective they are in your own condition. If you have any more idea on home remedies for gum disease, please share with us. For more information, please visit the main Home Remedies page.