Most women desire to get a smooth and silky hair. We often experience this feeling for about two days after shampooing. If your hair gets greasy after a day or two, you likely suffer from oily hair. This problem is the result of excessive production of oil, leading to itchiness, rashes, dandruff, and other hair problems, and it affects both women and men. Wondering how to get rid of oily hair? Here, we, Effective Remedies will introduce to you the best home remedies for oily hair, dry scalp, and dandruff that work naturally. Following any of these treatments in this post will do the trick.
- Best natural and effective home remedies for frizzy hair
- Best natural home remedies for hair fall control & treatment
- Effective and natural home remedies for dry hair
Top 17 Natural Home Remedies For Oily Hair, Dry Scalp & Dandruff That Work
I. Causes Of Oily Hair
Below are some factors that can cause oily hair:
- Stress: Physical, emotional, or psychological stress can facilitate the sebum production by the sebaceous glands.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Hormonal imbalance can raise the oil secretion level in the scalp. Hormonal change during pregnancy or menstruation can increase oiliness of hair.
- Food Habits: Junk and processed foods increase oiliness of hair and skin. Instead, you should eat a well-balanced and healthy diet with plenty of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Diseases: Certain diseases associated with the pituitary, ovaries, and adrenal gland can increase sebum secretion, which, in turn, increases the oiliness of scalp and skin.
- Excessive Use Of Hair Products: Overuse of hair products such as conditioners or styling products can lead to increased irritation, itchiness, and oiliness of scalp.
- Other causes of oily hair are a deficiency of B vitamins, untreated dandruff, shampooing too much, heredity, poor hair care, and touching hair too much.
II. Best Home Remedies For Oily Hair, Dry Scalp & Dandruff That Work Naturally
Daily shampooing isn’t advisable because the chemical in it can harm your hair, which often causes dull, lifeless hair and hair fall. Are you thinking how to deal with oily hair naturally and safely? Do not worry because there are a variety of home cures to remove it.
1. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is full of minerals, vitamins, and enzymes, all of which are effective in eliminating oily hair . The plant is highly beneficial for nourishing your hair roots, controlling oil secretion, and detoxifying the scalp of impurities. It additionally keeps the hair healthy thanks to its gentle and soothing nature.
- Aloe vera gel – two teaspoons
- Lemon juice – one tablespoon
- Water – one cup
Add the gel to the juice and add the water to it. Mix everything well. After shampooing, use this mixture to rinse your hair. Wash it off after a couple of minutes with cold water. To get rid of oily skin quickly, follow the remedy once to twice every day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy
Apple cider vinegar comprises the acetic acid that helps to balance the pH level of the scalp . This, in turn, curbs the excess oil production. It can also make your hair soft and shiny because it’s an excellent hair tonic.
- Apple cider vinegar – two to three tablespoons
- Water – one cup
Mix the ACV and water well. Then, use a mild cleanser to wash your hair. Afterward, use the resultant mixture to rinse your hair and wait for a few minutes. Finally, remove the application with cold water. For quick results, try following this treatment three to four times in a week.
3. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Lemon Juice
One of the most perfect home remedies for oily hair is using lemon juice. It is a powerhouse of various vitamins, minerals, and other healthy nutrients, all of which are essential for your hair. It also aids in balancing the scalp’s pH level and restricting excess oil secretion since it is acidic in nature. It also helps to eliminate all the product buildup in the hair, a root reason for oily hair because it functions as a natural clarifier. It additionally decreases dandruff and adds shine and glossiness to the hair.
- Lemon juice – one tablespoon
- Water – one cup
- Honey – three teaspoons
Mix the lemon juice in the water and add the honey to it. Mix all the elements well until it completely dissolves. Start applying this mixture to your hair and wash off after 5 to 7 minutes with shampoo. Repeat it thrice per week.
- Egg yolks – two
- Lemon juice – two tablespoons
Mix the egg yolks with the lemon juice and mix nicely. Then, apply this mixture to the washed hair and clean it using lukewarm water. Try this cure once per week for a couple of months to treat oily hair.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil consists of antimicrobial properties, which can manage sebum production and treat acne in the scalp . According to one study, using a shampoo having 5 percent tea tree oil reduced greasiness, improved dandruff and soothed an itchy scalp . It is also beneficial for unclogging pores and decreasing the overzealous sebaceous glands. Besides, the antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties of the oil ensure that the hair stays healthy and clean.
- Tea tree oil – 15 drops
- Jojoba or coconut oil – 30 ml
The first step is adding the tea tree oil to the jojoba or coconut oil. Next, mix well and apply to your scalp and hair. Keep it on for an hour and wash it off. Follow this process about three times a week.
5. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is perfect for treating many problems related to hair and skin. It can aid in ridding your scalp of the extra oil, as it acts as a natural absorbent. It additionally contains astringent properties, which helps regulate the production of sebum and oil by the hair follicles. It is also potent in balancing the scalp’s natural pH level and improving the circulation of blood in the scalp since it exhibits mineral properties.
- Fuller’s earth – three tablespoons
- Water – two tablespoons
Add the water to the fuller’s earth to form a thick paste. Apply on the scalp with this paste and leave it for twenty minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water. Try this process once every week.
6. Use Mint Leaves
Mint leaves are one of the excellent home remedies for oily hair. This fantastic herb comprises antioxidants and antibacterial properties, which can treat pimples and acne – a common problem in people with oily hair. Furthermore, it is beneficial for eliminating the accumulated oil, soothing the irritated scalp, and keeping the hair strong and shiny.
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Water – half liter
Firstly, pour the water into a pan and add the mint leaves to it. Bring it to a boil for 20 minutes and then, let the mixture cool down. Afterward, strain the water and use this mixture to rinse your hair after shampooing. Leave your application to remain to get absorbed naturally. You can repeat this procedure every time you shampoo the hair.
7. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Green Tea
Green tea comes with polyphenols, which makes it perfect for improving the health of your scalp and curbing the sebum secretion. It also contains antioxidants and helps to calm psoriasis, dandruff, and other scalp irritations. Moreover, it can enhance hair follicles and thus reduces hair loss and promotes hair growth .
- Green tea – one half cup
- Water – one cup
Take the green tea and water in a saucepan and boil it. Simmer for five minutes and strain. Let it cool and apply to your scalp and hair. Keep the application on for 30-45 minutes and rinse it off. Use this remedy once in a week.
8. Banana Remedy
Bananas contain a variety of minerals, vitamins, and several other antioxidants, all of which are essential for taking care of your hair. They are useful in nourishing and rejuvenating dull and oily hair because they function as the natural hair conditioners. Apart from that, they also help remove the excess sebum and oil. They also keep the hair follicles strong and healthy. They can make your hair shine owing to their folic acid content. Last but not least, this fruit keeps the hair well-hydrated and moisturized.
- Honey – one teaspoon
- Ripe banana – 1
Mash the ripe banana and mix it with the honey. Start applying this mixture to your oily hair and wait for 20 minutes before washing off. For good benefits, repeat it at least once every week.
9. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Tomatoes
Tomatoes consist of essential nutrients such as vitamin A, B, C, & E, all of which are fantastic stimulants for healthy hair. Tomatoes help balance the pH level of the scalp, thus reducing the excessive oil production from the glands and keeping your hair bouncy and shiny because they’re mildly acidic. Along with that, the high vitamin C content in it is helpful for fighting dandruff.
- Ripe tomato – 1
- Fuller’s earth – one teaspoon
Firstly, extract the juice from the ripe tomato and later mix the tomato juice with the fuller’s earth. Then, apply this mixture to your hair and scalp. Cover your hair by wearing a shower cap. Wash off after half an hour with cold water. For remarkable benefits, follow the treatment twice every week.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda is well known for its oil-absorbing quality so that it is one of the excellent home remedies for oily hair. It is also helpful for balancing the scalp’s pH level and reducing foul smell due to its alkaline nature. It also helps to soak up excess sebum, keeping the hair and scalp moisturized.
- Baking soda
Create a paste by mixing a part of baking soda in 3 parts of water. Apply the paste to your damp hair and wash with warm water after several minutes. Follow this cure one to twice weekly.
11. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Black Tea
Black tea possesses antioxidants and caffeine, which all benefit your hair health. Black tea shrinks the pores on your scalp, thus preventing oily hair, as it serves an astringent . It additionally promotes healthy hair growth and gives natural hair shine and color.
- Black tea leaves – two tablespoons
- Water – one cup
Add the black tea leaves to the water and boil it for a period of 10 minutes. Then, strain the leaves and let the solution cool to room temperature. Thereafter, pour this mixture on the scalp and hair. After five minutes, rinse it off and lastly, wash the hair with the help of a mild shampoo. Use this home remedy thrice weekly to combat oily hair.
12. Henna Powder
Henna is highly beneficial for balancing the pH of the scalp and oil production. It additionally helps unclog follicles by removing the excess oil from the hair. It also assists in keeping your hair shiny and smooth. Plus, it holds antimicrobial properties, which helps maintain scalp health and battle scalp conditions like dandruff.
- Henna – six tablespoons
- Water – two cups
Make a smooth paste by combining the henna with the water. Apply to your hair with the paste and let it dry. After that, rinse your hair by using lime water.
- Henna – ½ cup
- Egg white – 1
- Coconut oil – two tablespoons
At first, whisk the henna powder with the egg white and add the coconut oil to it. Start to apply it on your hair and leave it on your hair for around 30 to 60 minutes. Then, wash the application off with water. Do this process every two weeks for quick results.
13. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is loaded with magnesium that is a vital mineral for scalp and hair health. This mineral also helps soothe scalp inflammation and absorbs the excess sebum produced by your scalp. Thus, you should not neglect this cure if you’re looking for the inexpensive and effective home remedies for oily hair.
- Epsom salt – one to two teaspoons
Take the prepared Epsom salt and add it to your daily shampoo. Use this solution to shampoo your hair and allow the mixture to work on your hair and scalp for several minutes before washing. For visible results, repeat it twice in a week.
14. Oatmeal Remedy
Oatmeal provides us with multiple benefits. Thanks to its thick consistency, oatmeal easily removes the extra grease from the hair. Besides, it also has anti-inflammatory properties that are useful for soothing the scalp and making your hair soft. It also helps to treat dandruff and prevent hair loss. It helps calm the itchy scalp. You can use oatmeal for treating oily hair as follows:
- Cooked oatmeal
- A mild shampoo
Take a little cooked oatmeal at first and evenly apply to your scalp. Wait for 15 to 20 minutes and wash off using a mild shampoo. Follow this simple method 1 to 2 times weekly.
15. Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Witch Hazel Oil
Witch hazel is perfect for easing excess oils and grease, making it a great remedy for oily hair. It comes with the vasoconstrictive properties that help increase the circulation of blood to reduce hair fall. It also helps calm an itchy or irritated scalp because it is a natural astringent.
- Witch hazel oil – four to five drops
- Water – two tablespoons
Take the oil in one bowl and add the water to it. Dilute it afterward and immerse one cotton ball in this mixture and apply to your scalp. Wash off after 2-3 hours with shampoo. Follow this treatment for 3 to 4 times per week.
III. Diet Tips For People With Oily Hair
You should take care of the diet to have strong and healthy locks. Follow some dietary tips below:
- Eat Vitamin B And E Rich Foods: Vitamin B is a vital vitamin for your body and hair. It will help to combat the production of oil in the body and scalp. Vitamin B rich foods include poultry, meat, beans, fish, fruits and vegetables. They help make the hair stronger and lustrous and healthy looking. Vitamin E, on the other hand, is useful for keeping the hair and skin healthy. This vitamin is found mostly in fruits, nuts and green leafy vegetables.
- Include Zinc In Your Diet: Zinc can help to control the production of sebum in the scalp. You can find zinc in many food items such as fish, legumes, oats, nuts, and grains. You should include these foods in your daily diet to help enhance the quality of the hair.
- Follow A Diet With Low Sugar: Consuming too much sugar is not good for health and for the skin and hair as well. Sugar rich-foods can increase the levels of glucose in the body, which, in turn, increases the sebum formation, resulting in an oily hair and skin. So, control your sugar intake to prevent oily hair.
- Limit The Fats: As we know, there’re two types of fat including bad fats and good fats. Good fats will help promote a good health whereas bad fats will harm the skin and hair. Thus, you need to avoid fried foods and animal products.
IV. Prevention Tips
Below are a few additional tips to help prevent and combat the problem of oily hair:
- Avoid brushing the hair too much because it facilitates the oil-producing glands.
- Stay away from rubbing the scalp when greasy because it can cause infection.
- Don’t use hot water to wash hair. Instead, use cool or warm water to clean it.
- Don’t use heating tools on hair every day.
- Avoid stressing too much.
- Avoid washing hair too often and wash it every two to three days.
- Use a mild shampoo because it will not remove the natural oils of hair.
- Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep.
Now that you know about multiple home remedies for oily hair treatment, try them out to remove the problem. For other remedies for health conditions, visit our Home Remedies page. Do you know other natural home remedies for oily hair, dry scalp, and dandruff that work? And for more questions related to this article, let us know via the comment’s section.