Pink eye also called conjunctivitis, is when the conjunctiva is red and swollen. This means that this condition was infected and irritated. It is very popular and can be quickly contagious. When you have conjunctivitis, you can experience symptoms such as a red eye, watering of the eyes, and swelling of the conjunctiva. Besides, if you are in the pink eye, it can show that your immune system is weakened. Luckily, several natural remedies can help treat pink eyes. Read on to know more about natural home remedies for pink eye relief.
- Top 26 natural home remedies for dry eyes
- Top 25 solutions for dark circles under eyes
- 19 best ways to get rid of puffy under eyes
Top 21 Natural Home Remedies For Pink Eye Relief In Adults & Children
Using honey can help to eliminate a number of bacteria around and on your eyes significantly. Some recent reports claimed that honey has positive impacts on clearing wound infection quickly and promoting minimal scar formation. It further has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial abilities that may help heal conjunctivitis and its symptoms . Besides, it has antimicrobial agents to protect your eyes from a broad spectrum of fungi and bacteria.
- ¼ tsp of raw honey
- ¼ cup of pure water
- A pinch of fresh salt
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Make a mixture by mixing raw honey with fresh salt and pure warm water. You should not get too hot water because it can damage some of the beneficial agents of the water.
- Boil the mixture and let it cool before applying it.
- Use a clean dropper and put 1 or 2 drops in your eyes when you need.
- Follow this remedy carefully and regularly to get the best results.
2. Salt Water Wash
Salt water is one of the excellent natural treatment for conjunctivitis since it acts as a natural disinfectant. The antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of saline water may help combat eye infections, thereby stimulating your recovery .
- You boil 1/2 or 1 tiny spoon of salt with 1 cup of water and let the mixture cool completely before using.
- Use a clean dropper to wash your eyes with the cooled salt water.
- Rinse your affected eyes off several times a day.
- You can use a gentle eye cream to help the delicate skin of your eyelids soothe after washing.
Note: You should keep it out your eyes to avoid further irritation.
3. Tea Bags
Tea bags are commonly used to eliminate puffiness under their eyes and revitalize tired eyes. Besides, tea bags may alleviate the inflammation and tiredness caused by pink eye. Green tea may lower inflammation and swelling thanks to its flavonoids. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects in it may be effective at eliminating the symptoms of ophthalmologic conditions such as pink eye. Furthermore, “the caffeine in it helps to reduce the swelling that is usually caused as a result of fluid accumulation in the area.”[9’] (Medically reviewed by Millie Lytle, ND, MPH.)
- Take tea bags, boil them in water, and wait for a few minutes.
- Put it in the refrigerator to cool them.
- Place them all over your eyes and leave them on for 15-20 minutes.
Using cold tea bags will decrease the swelling in your eyelids and eliminate the itching and redness. You can also use the boiled water to wash your eyes gently after cooling it.
For this remedy, you can use one cup of boiled water and 2 tiny spoons of goldenseal, or you can get a mixture by mixing comfrey, chamomile, one cup of boiled water, and 1/8 tiny spoon of goldenseal. You should wait for 15 minutes. After straining it, you can apply it as eye drops.
5. Neem Leaves
Neem leaves are loaded with antibacterial properties. It also relieves irritated skin thanks to its soothing and gentle properties. Moreover, it is full of anti-inflammatory components that may reduce the symptoms of conjunctivitis.
- You add a few neem leaves to water and boil it for 10 minutes.
- After it cools, you strain its water.
- You use it to rinse your eyes.
- You should do it regularly throughout the day to eliminate the infection for 2 days.
- Besides, you can also apply neem water like a wet compress to eliminate the redness and swelling in your infected eyes.
6. Warm Compress
A warm compress is necessary for removing all sorts of swelling. It can raise the blood flow to your eyes. It will let your eyes relax and soothe the redness and irritation. The topical application of warm or cold compresses may lower the inflammation and cleanse the infected eye. According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, using a warm compress may help to ease the symptoms of the pink eye.
To treat the pink eye with a warm compress, you take a clean cloth and put it into warm water. Next, you wring dry and practice on the top of your eyes for a few minutes. You should do it regularly for eliminating the itchiness and soreness and helping you to have bright eyes.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the great home remedies for pink eye. Apple cider vinegar can eliminate bacterial and viral in your eyes. It will remove infections, any microbe or protozoa, which may affect your inner eye parts. The antimicrobial properties found in it may be quite effective in fighting the microbes causing eye infections.
- Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix with a cup of water.
- Take a clean towel and dip it into the mixture.
- Apply it gently around your nearby eye surface.
8. Castor Oil
Castor oil is an effective treatment for treating pink eye and eliminating the eye irritation. It comes with impressive lubricating and anti-inflammatory properties that may be useful for decreasing the pain and swelling in your eyes and preventing your tears from evaporating .
- You prepare some castor oil and put it in a clean eye-dropper.
- You put a drop of the oil into your infected eye three times a day.
- Follow it daily to eliminate all the symptoms of pink eye.
9. Jasmine Flowers
Using jasmine flower not only reduces pain but also eliminates other symptoms of the pink eye. You can refer below steps:
- Soak some jasmine flowers in distilled water for all night.
- Take the flowers from water the next morning.
- Press them tightly.
- Make some drops and allow them on your eye.
- Apply this method frequently to get better results.
10. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies for pink eye. Besides, it is a great remedy for people suffering from eye infections caused by allergies thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nature.
For this purpose, prepare some drops of lemon juice. Then, rinse your face and your eye properly and use a tissue paper or a clean towel to make them dry. Put some drops of lemon juice into your eye. If you get too much irritation with this remedy, you should stop using it immediately.
11. Coconut Oil
Unrefined, virgin coconut oil may treat dry eyes effectively. It is possible that coconut oil may be beneficial for reducing dryness and inflammation, soothing the symptoms of pink eye. By using coconut oil consistently, you will treat your current pink eye and prevent it from returning once more.
- Get a tablespoon of natural coconut oil three times each day.
- You can make smoothies, mix it with daily foods, or eat directly.
- You can also rub coconut oil on your upper eye, cover, and apply directly two drops into your eyes with a clean eye-dropper.
Note: You should warm the oil marginally so that it can turn into a fluid. Remember that it is better to use coconut oil outside. You should use it before bedtime.
12. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains many effective antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties and has impressive effects on the pink eye. According to a study published in the Pharmaceutical Biology in 2012, using aloe vera extracts is completely safe on corneal cells of a human. Researchers also discovered that we could use aloe vera extracts in eye drops to get rid of inflammation and other diseases of external parts of your eyes.
- Take some aloe vera leaves, and then grind them to get the juice.
- Put a few drops of aloe vera juice or gel into your eyes.
- Apply this method several times a day.
- Use natural and fresh aloe vera juice because it is good for your eyes.
13. Turmeric Powder
- Take ½ cup of warm water and wait until it has a typical room temperature.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 squeeze of table salt to it.
- Use a clean cloth to put the mixture on it so that turmeric powder and salt cannot drop to your face or nose.
- Put it to your affected eye and keep waiting for 20 or 30 minutes.
- Repeat it twice a day for quick results.
14. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are an excellent natural treatment for pink eyes. Some studies have claimed that fennel seeds contain many specific compounds that can be applied to treat numerous eye conditions including pink eye . Treating pink eye by crushing fennel seeds can eliminate the numerous symptoms connected with the pink eye condition.
For this remedy, you boil 2 heaped teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds in 1/2 liter of water. Let the water cool down and strain the fennel seeds. Put the fennel seed water into a clean eye-dropper. Take it to your eyes to eliminate the itchiness and pain.
Coffee is one of the amazing home remedies for pink eye. A homemade eyewash which is made from coffee granules can help to soothe many symptoms of pink eye. To prepare this home remedy for treating pink eye, you boil 1 cup of water and put 2 pinches of coffee into the hot water. Keep waiting until the water becomes cool completely. Wash your eyes thoroughly with this water. This remedy will help you eliminate the unpleasant symptoms caused by pink eye.
16. Coriander With Boiling Water
Coriander is beneficial for your eyes in alleviating conjunctivitis and preventing macular degeneration. It also has many essential oils, vitamins, and minerals, which can make it beneficial for your eyes. Besides, applying coriander juice on eyelids may help lower eye irritation and burn, making your eyes look brighter. All you need to do is washing your eyes with a mixture by mixing a pinch of freshly dried coriander in boiled water. You should rinse your affected eye with the mixture when it cools down.
17. Honey And Eyebright
Eyebright has compounds called tannins that appear to have anti-inflammatory effects. In folk medicine, it is often used as a natural ingredient in eye drops, eyewashes. Eyebright is also commonly used to fight eye conditions such as eyestrain and conjunctivitis.
- Take 3/4 pint of boiled water and add one handful of eyebright leaves and flowers to it.
- Cover and let in place until the water is warm; you strain to get eyebright water.
- Then you add three tablespoons of honey, stir until it dissolved.
- Soak a clean cloth to the mixture and place on your eye for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure that the cloth is moist.
- You can use this mixture to rinse your eyes several times. You can use milk instead of water.
18. Boric Acid
Boric acid can help to treat many eye problems such as dryness, a burning sensation, redness, and tearing because of its antifungal and mild antibacterial properties . It also helps to soothe eye irritation and cleanse your eyes.
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of boric acid which is available as colorless crystals or the white powder and boil this mixture.
- Use it as an eyewash or apply it to your eye with a clean cloth or cotton balls.
- Wash your eyes with warm water.
- Follow it 2 or 3 times a day to achieve a better result.
Garlic can help you boost the immune system and keep your health effectively. You can also use garlic to treat pink eye. The active ingredient present in garlic, allicin, contains proven antioxidant, anti-fungal, antiviral, and antibacterial qualities, which make it ideal for eliminating whatever underlying infection causing your conjunctivitis. You peel some cloves of garlic and smash them. Rub it over your eyelid of the affected eye. You should try applying this method regularly because it can eliminate infections effectively.
20. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural home remedy, which can help you to treat pink eye. It can also help to soothe itchiness related to pink eyes. You make an eyewash by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 cup of water to rinse your eyes regularly.
Probiotics have many positive impacts on treating pink eye  . To treat the pink eye with probiotics, you can apply breast milk and yogurt liquid because both products contain probiotics. You apply 1 or 2 drops of probiotics and use it 3 times a day to fight against your pink eye.
If your condition doesn’t improve with the above home treatments or it is accompanied by severe symptoms, including pain, sensitivity to light, disturbed vision, or other symptoms, you must consult your doctor. If you know other natural home remedies for pink eye relief, then let us know by leaving your comment in the box below.